Home
What is the legal procedure to sell a rifle or any other firearm in the classifieds? I want to make sure of what to do before listing anything.

Thanks
16 years on here and you haven’t figured it out? I’ll bite… list item with pics and price shipped to buyers FFL. Buyer pays you, box item up include copy of your ID and ship it to their FFL.
Main thing is just make sure any firearm gets shipped to a FFL.
You can also meet the buyer in person, and sell the gun directly.
List it here, with price
Someone agrees to buy it.
The buyer send you funds and a copy of an FFL to ship the gun to
You can legally ship the rifle to that FFL
Most FFL owners will want a photo copy of your DL if receiving a gun from a non FFL
Or you can have a local FFL ship it for you, they usually charge $25 or so plus actual shipping cost
Buyer goes to the receiving FFL, and passes back ground check and takes the rifle

Not sure the above works in California, NY and other gun restrictive states.
Make sure you don't underestimate your shipping costs. Last rifle I had shipped to me cost the sender $60 through the post office. He had seperated the barreled action from the stock and packaged it as small as possible.

You might look into a service like Ship My Gun, it's through Bud's Gunshop and is supposed to help save money.
Thanks to all for the info.
Originally Posted by Farmboy1

That varies by state. Here in NYS all sales, including private sales, must be done through a FFL after passing a background check.
Originally Posted by GregK

That varies by state. Here in NYS all sales, including private sales, must be done through a FFL after passing a background check.

The same here in Virginia.
Originally Posted by barm

In free states like Ohio, that is unnecessary.

I am sure there are plenty of "off the books" sales in both states.
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
In free states like Ohio, that is unnecessary.
Same in Wisconsin, buy & sell to your heart's content w/o the "Man's" interference.....

Which is why sellers need to put at least the state they are from in their ad, a potential buyer could live next door.
Don't forget to price it really high so you can bump it several times a day for months on end. Seems to be some people's new hobby. S*t*a D**r!
Originally Posted by Dinny
Don't forget to price it really high so you can bump it several times a day for months on end. Seems to be some people's new hobby. S*t*a D**r!
Happy to see you so easily provoke yourself...
August 1st, Minnesota will require FFL for MN. residents person to person transactions.

Not legal in NM, anymore - unless you go to an FFL and fill out a 4473.
BLESS our mini-dictator!
Originally Posted by dale06
List it here, with price
Most FFL owners will want a photo copy of your DL if receiving a gun from a non FFL
Or you can have a local FFL ship it for you, they usually charge $25 or so plus actual shipping cost
Buyer goes to the receiving FFL, and passes back ground check and takes the rifle

There is no requirement in any state to send a copy of your driver's license. It is 100% unverifiable when all the FFL needs is a name and address for his book.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
List it here, with price

There is no requirement in any state to send a copy of your driver's license. It is 100% unverifiable when all the FFL needs is a name and address for his book.
Nobody ever said a state required it.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
List it here, with price

You are correct, but you also said "Most FFLs..." and that is not correct.
List it here, with price

I never said "most ".
In my experience most FFL’s is correct.
Originally Posted by robertham1
Same. Just like when selling one to a gunshop. They ask for my DL when they log the gun in.

YMMV.
List it here, with price

I never said "most ".

"Most FFL owners will want a photo copy of your DL if receiving a gun from a non FFL" quote from your post above.
Originally Posted by robertham1
Same. Just like when selling one to a gunshop. They ask for my DL when they log the gun in.

YMMV.
Some years ago I would have agreed with you. Many states have extra info on your DL. Stuff you might not want to spread around, ie SSN.

Because it is far from required and some FFLs were adamant it lost favor.
Originally Posted by Dinny

Says the guy with a 750$ POS handi rifle for sale. 😂

The level that you can take being a rude and inconsiderate ASSHAT never ceases to amaze.
List it here, with price

I never said "most ".

"Most FFL owners will want a photo copy of your DL if receiving a gun from a non FFL" quote from your post above.
Like I said, "I" never said most. That was from another poster.
List it here, with price

I never said "most ".

Like I said, "I" never said most. That was from another poster.
My apologies! You are correct and I did misread that as you said. Sorry about that.
tag
List it here, with price

I think that I might want some assurance that the buyer has already passed a BG check before I'd go to the hassle of shipping a firearm. Having double shipping in the event of a return also doubles your chances of the item going missing.
Originally Posted by antelopedundee
List it here, with price

I think that I might want some assurance that the buyer has already passed a BG check before I'd go to the hassle of shipping a firearm. Having double shipping in the event of a return also doubles your chances of the item going missing.

I'm not sure how you actually get any 'guarantee' or assurance....... even HE doesn't know 'til the call is made......

I can tell you right now, I will pass, have done so many times, nothing has changed, hold SECRET security clearance, yadda, yadda.... until the call is made it ain't done...

Right or wrong....

Don't ship before you have the funds...

Maybe I'm missing something...........
Originally Posted by Muffin
List it here, with price

I'm not sure how you actually get any 'guarantee' or assurance....... even HE doesn't know 'til the call is made......

I can tell you right now, I will pass, have done so many times, nothing has changed, hold SECRET security clearance, yadda, yadda.... until the call is made it ain't done...

Right or wrong....

If twas me I'd have the FFL holder who is going to receive the firearm do the check first just like he'd do if the guy was buying the firearm from him. Passing a BG check doesn't in any way obligate the buyer to complete the purchase. Either the buyer or receiving FFL can contact you letting you know that the sale can proceed.
List it here, with price

No legal way to do a background check until the gun is in the hands of the downstream FFL. In over 40 years I have had one failed background check. Seller found another buyer local to me and I transfered to the new buyer. You have to be careful the new buyer is not a straw purchaser.

Should the gun require reshipping I feel it would be reasonable for those costs to be reflected in the refund.
List it here, with price

Right or wrong....

If twas me I'd have the FFL holder who is going to receive the firearm do the check first just like he'd do if the guy was buying the firearm from him. Passing a BG check doesn't in any way obligate the buyer to complete the purchase. Either the buyer or receiving FFL can contact you letting you know that the sale can proceed.
NICS makes no provision for pre-checks. States may, but most charge for checks. Another would be required once the gun is ready for transfer.
Most ffl's will not do it for you without the copy of your lic/ photo id. Doesnt matter who requires it. I havent seen a ffl that doesnt ask for it in 10 years or so

I am sure there are plenty of "off the books" sales in both states.

Possibly
Northern Ny isn't like the rest off the state but it's getting that way. I miss the hand shake days.
Exactly Bruce
I have had a ffl for pushing 40 years. I’ve never ask for a driver’s license. Nothing in the regs require it. If so, please post the regulation. And, California gives drivers license to illegal aliens. If you are illegal, you can’t purchase no matter what.
And non-ffls want a copy. No way in hell. And how would you know if its a fake ? Huh ?
Use the EZ check, its easy, and has current info.
I get a kick out these type threads….no one quotes the regs, but everyone is an expert.
Charlie
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
I have had a ffl for pushing 40 years. I’ve never ask for a driver’s license. Nothing in the regs require it. If so, please post the regulation. And, California gives drivers license to illegal aliens. If you are illegal, you can’t purchase no matter what.
And non-ffls want a copy. No way in hell. And how would you know if its a fake ? Huh ?
I get a kick out these type threads….no one quotes the regs, but everyone is an expert.
Charlie

And I've never bought a gun at a place that didn't require my DL. I'm at 40 or so purchases from an FFL, and every single one has required a drivers license. Up until 2016, question 18.a required an identification card, and the ID number on that card. Now it's question 26.a that requires that. How have you gotten around this requirement for 40 years?
Charlie
Nobody ever said it was required by government. Just by the receiving FFL.
Originally Posted by marksman1941
Charlie

And I've never bought a gun at a place that didn't require my DL. I'm at 40 or so purchases from an FFL, and every single one has required a drivers license. Up until 2016, question 18.a required an identification card, and the ID number on that card. Now it's question 26.a that requires that. How have you gotten around this requirement for 40 years?
Think he is saying for an FFL to receive from an individual. Not all FFLs want that, some do.
List it here, with price

Right or wrong....

NICS makes no provision for pre-checks. States may, but most charge for checks. Another would be required once the gun is ready for transfer.

Thanks for the info.
Charlie
Are those the same FFL holders who bitch, piss, and moan about all the government rules being made up as it goes?
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Charlie
Are those the same FFL holders who bitch, piss, and moan about all the government rules being made up as it goes?
Mine doesnt.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Charlie
In my experience!, yes.
Originally Posted by marksman1941
Charlie

You are confusing two very different actions. When you fill out the 4473 in front of the FFL he examines whatever official gov't ID you hand him. He can look at it and you to see if they match. That has nothing to do with this discussion.

When someone sells a gun through an FFL he is required to list the source. It is a simple entry. If he demands an ID copy how can he possibly know it is actually the seller? He cannot. It is not a rule, law, nor edict.
There is no LAW to provide a Drivers License with your shipment. An FFL holder can have all kinds of policy more strict than the law.

There is no LAW that you have a copy of the FFL in your hand prior to shipment. The Law says you must ship to an FFL holder. Nothing more, nothing less.
If there is a single thread on this website demonstrating how far away from the constitution we've gone, someone please show it to me.
List it here, with price

If the receiving FFL wants a signed copy of the seller's government issue ID, he/she can ask for one. If the seller doesn't want to provide one, the buyer would need to find a different FFL to receive the firearm.

Same in Oregon and Nevada..
www.shipmygun.com makes things easier and gives you a better price on the shipping.
And folks at the post office will spout off all these regulations....and then get really pissed off when you show them this...
https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_010.htm
Charlie
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
List it here, with price

If the receiving FFL wants a signed copy of the seller's government issue ID, he/she can ask for one. If the seller doesn't want to provide one, the buyer would need to find a different FFL to receive the firearm.
And I would suggest any FFL demanding something such as this can ask you to dance in a tutu for him and many would do it.
I don't do transfers.
© 24hourcampfire