Home
I may be guilty of making packages nearly bullet-proof and sometimes challenging to get in to, but not using enough when shipping is bound to backfire sooner or later.

A while back, I purchased some new brass. It was shipped in a small, flat rate box. The brass was in a ziplock bag and not taped. The box had small pieces of tape at the edges but none on the center flaps.

To make a long story short: one of the flaps was damaged in transit and torn partially open. So I received 7 pieces of brass instead of 50 -- and I was probably lucky to get that.

In a perfect world, that box could have made it here without incident, so I did not ask the seller for a refund, though I did point out he could try and file a claim, though due to the packaging, I feel certain it would be denied.

But a few seconds to add some extra strips of tape could have prevented this ordeal. And securing the bag would have kept the brass together and meant the damage to the box was meaningless as the entire bag likely would not have fallen out.

Bottom line: Use plenty of tape. It's cheap.

Happy New Year to all!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That’s tough man. I go through half a dozen rolls of tape every couple months, and have received messages more than once that say “man I’m glad you used so much tape, because usps beat the crap out of that box!”

I received a box a while back that wasn’t even taped shut, and contained cash for a purchase. Thankfully no one got curious, but it sure made me nervous for a bit when I realized there wasn’t a bit of tape on the box.

Tape is cheap, plentiful, and easy to use. As are paper bags for packing fodder. It’s well worth taking an extra minute to pack it right and tape it tight.
I tape the living schit outta everything I ship.....like you said, tape is cheap!!
Spending fifty cents on tape is way less aggravating than trying to deal with an insurance claim.
I stopped using flat rate envelopes too. I used to send bullet packs, heavily taped up, in envelopes. About a month ago I shipped 100x 300gr 338 bullets in an envelope, heavily taped, but when it arrived the bottom had been slit and the bullets stolen. USPS won’t do anything for a claim involving anything gun related, so I took my licks and sent him another 100x bullets in a small box this time. I won’t go back to envelopes, as they’re too easy to quickly cut open. Not that a box is a TON more secure, but it is marginally more so.
On another note: I ordered a knife sharpening kit for a gift. It was ordered through Amazon & shipped via USPS in the factory box with NO tape (loose flaps/lid) and somehow managed to make it here OK. Why they didn't drop it into a cardboard box or at least tape it shut is beyond me. But at least it all worked out...
So true!
I didn't need to see this, I have a rifle in transit lol
I ship lots of Priority Mail small boxes, first thing I do is tape the end flaps. After I seal the closure flap I tape that too. Never had any problems and I've shipped 100's of items that way.
The shipping Gorillas do not need any help. Tape em up, inside and out.
Tape is your friend,When shipping
got so caught up taping a box last week that I got stuck to it. Twas a rough ride through the sorting machine down at the PO
I've always taped boxes very well but now I've taken to wrapping the entire box in the black plastic shipping wrap also. Great results.
I just recieved 3 boxes of 100 gr TTSX from you that DogCat bought from you. I was pleased to see how you wrapped Bobby , I will follow your packaging ! great Job!
Amen. I sometimes tape over the entire box.
Bought a scope on here a while back an while he used tape. He just dropped the scope in the box and sent it.

Bubble wrap an balled up news paper is also cheap......
I just shipped a bunch of bullets to several guys and hope they survive the trip. I shrink wrapped individual boxes (or 2 boxes together), put them in a HEAVY DUTY Ziploc style bag, shrink wrapped that and them padded the boxes and taped the boxes shut about 17 different directions. I am HOPING they all arrive as they should but you just never know. I think sometimes they intentionally get rough with heavy boxes.
Don't neglect to pack paper or wrap inside the
box to help cushion the contents for when the
pinheads at the P.O. toss your package around.
I try to shake it after packaging to see if
anything moves around. I halfway believe that
they deliberately try to tear things up at times.
I've already B.T.D.T. as far as trying to make a
claim, and it is a genuine pain. You're lucky if
you get anywhere, and if you get it done without
a migraine

Have one going out
as soon as I have transportation
Originally Posted by mjac

Obvious Shipping Gorilla mischief. Your package contents were swiped, not uncommon with today's USPS. Many packages arrive at my home, pre opened. What has happened is obvious.
I'm probably guilty of over packing things when I ship them.
Like others have said, tape is cheap insurance.
I always envision the delivery person kicking the box or package out of the back of the truck or van like they’re trying out for kicker in the NFL. I package and tape with that thought in mind.
Maybe it’s been covered…….

Ups doesn’t deliver to most PO Boxes!!!!!!

They will take it. Just won’t deliver it
I'm a huge fan of using the padded flat rate envelopes. I usually wrap items in them then drop the bundle into another padded FR envelope.

Today I had a discussion with my mail lady after she delivered a round tube that was shipped from VA on Dec 9th. She told me 40% of all round tubes get lost in transit. She said often times they roll off the sides of the sorting machines falling down inside. They don't get recovered until the machine gets repaired or replaced.

Take that for what it's worth. She also told me shipping firearms through the USPS is illegal. 🤦
Originally Posted by Dinny
I'm a huge fan of using the padded flat rate envelopes. I usually wrap items in them then drop the bundle into another padded FR envelope.

Today I had a discussion with my mail lady after she delivered a round tube that was shipped from VA on Dec 9th. She told me 40% of all round tubes get lost in transit. She said often times they roll off the sides of the sorting machines falling down inside. They don't get recovered until the machine gets repaired or replaced.

Take that for what it's worth. She also told me shipping firearms through the USPS is illegal. 🤦

Interesting about the tubes!

I have straightened out more than one USPS employee about mailing firearms--but it's been a while since the last one. She was the postmaster here for a few years, and was VERY confused about what was required--though very sure of herself too. She always asked me, "Is it broke down?" By which she apparently meant is it taken apart--which is NOT a requirement. The last time she asked me, the local PO had put up video cameras to record what went on at the shipping counter. She "retired" shortly afterward.

The woman postmaster who's been in charge for a while now is very good, and knows the rules.

Once received a small flat-rate priority box of bullets that had NO tape on it--and of course had busted open. Luckily the bullets were in a Ziploc bag that had started to leak a little, but toward the still intact part of the box....
Originally Posted by 300MAG
I tape the living schit outta everything I ship.....like you said, tape is cheap!!

I just bought some as I was getting low, cheap it wasn’t, but I also believe in making packages that I ship, bullet proof.
I use USPS fiber reinforced envelopes inside of flat rate USPS boxes for Brass and bullets then I wrap in non stick plastic wrap.
A very long time ago, I bought a Ruger #1 from someone here. When it showed up at my house, it was literally put in a long box and wrapped with one layer of newspaper! It was flopping around like a banana in a shoebox. Unbelievably, there wasn't a mark on it!

I'm pack boxes as if I were packing them for myself.
think about it guy's. a small flat rate that weigh's heavy, signals either lead, which is almost as valuable as gold, or said gold.
also if such a shipment is routed through KC area, i would give long odds that it would disappear, or be pilfered.
i gave up on buying bullets on line.
We pick up packages of 8 rolls of Scotch heavy-duty shipping tape at the local Costco whenever they goes on sale. The regular price if $24.99, but sale price is usually around $15. It really is cheap that way....
Originally Posted by deerstalker
think about it guy's. a small flat rate that weigh's heavy, signals either lead, which is almost as valuable as gold, or said gold.
also if such a shipment is routed through KC area, i would give long odds that it would disappear, or be pilfered.

I’ve bought and sold bullets many dozens (?hundreds) of times. Almost all shipped in small or med flat rate boxes. Well packed and taped, there’s never been a problem.
Originally Posted by Dinny
She told me 40% of all round tubes get lost in transit. She said often times they roll off the sides of the sorting machines falling down inside. 🤦

I have experienced this as well and will NEVER send a round tube again.
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by mjac

Obvious Shipping Gorilla mischief. Your package contents were swiped, not uncommon with today's USPS. Many packages arrive at my home, pre opened. What has happened is obvious.

Agreed, looks like someone swiped what sounded like bling to them.
Originally Posted by marksman1941
USPS won’t do anything for a claim involving anything gun related, so I took my licks and sent him another 100x bullets in a small box this time.

When did this policy begin? I've had insurance claims for bullets on several occasions (usually when a seller doesn't have a clue--or doesn't care--about how to package things) and they've usually come through for me.
Some folks just will not take the time or effort to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
I tend to over package items I ship. On many scopes I've sold I ripped down some old paneling scraps and made a protective sleeve for them.

My only issue with USPS was a little over a month back. Sold some muzzle loader bullets to a member in MI. Packaged them up in a small fixed rate box and added extra tape on the seams and flap. A few days later the buyer contacts me and let's me know that box arrived...without the bullets. It appeared to have been ripped open, contents removed, taped back up (sloppily), and sent on to the addressee. I immediately refunded the buyer his money and filed a claim online with USPS the next day. I uploaded photos of the bullet boxes and a screenshot from midwayusa.com to establish value. I was surprised to receive a claim check from the USPS on the same day the buyer received my refund payment.
I buy and sell quite a few rifles and scopes online. Normally I’ll package in the factory box with additional padding, or in a hard side gun case. Then I wrap everything in brown kraft paper, then wrap the entire package with clear tape, the whole thing. I hate to curse myself, but I’ve shipped dozens like this and never had an issue with damage. With the way things are today, I’m starting to disassemble the long gun, and send it in a package that doesn’t scream “I’m a Gun”.
Originally Posted by Jcon72
USPS won’t do anything for a claim involving anything gun related, so I took my licks and sent him another 100x bullets in a small box this time.

When did this policy begin? I've had insurance claims for bullets on several occasions (usually when a seller doesn't have a clue--or doesn't care--about how to package things) and they've usually come through for me.

It may not be policy, and could be just my luck. I’ve filled three claims with usps; one for a scope, one for bullets, one for a trigger. All three were denied by usps with no cause given. When I asked my local office, they told me that everything gun related was not allowed to ship, which is why they got denied. I know that’s not how their actual policy reads, but that doesn’t mean the decision makers don’t follow that same broken logic chain.
as stated earlier...take the padded envelopes from usps and wrap your bullets and brass in them, roll them up and seal them as needed then put them in another padded envelope seal and tape them secure...never a problem for me
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by deerstalker

I’ve bought and sold bullets many dozens (?hundreds) of times. Almost all shipped in small or med flat rate boxes. Well packed and taped, there’s never been a problem.

Me too.

Have also had many firearms mailed to my PO Box, no problems.

Medium flat rate box I mailed, that somehow arrived with contents intact. It was heavy, probably 60 lbs. I didn't go sparingly on materials at all.
Originally Posted by Jcon72

It may not be policy, and could be just my luck. I’ve filled three claims with usps; one for a scope, one for bullets, one for a trigger. All three were denied by usps with no cause given. When I asked my local office, they told me that everything gun related was not allowed to ship, which is why they got denied. I know that’s not how their actual policy reads, but that doesn’t mean the decision makers don’t follow that same broken logic chain.

Well that would certainly make me angry! My postmistress is most helpful and knows that I have shipped brass/bullets/whatever countless times. A year ago she made sure to let me know about a local guy who was selling a bunch of brass, bullets, ammo and gun related items because she knew I'd be interested! grin
And yes, it wouldn't surprise me if some anti-2A'er got ahold of your claims and decided you were a BAD person.
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
I may be guilty of making packages nearly bullet-proof and sometimes challenging to get in to, but not using enough when shipping is bound to backfire sooner or later.

A while back, I purchased some new brass. It was shipped in a small, flat rate box. The brass was in a ziplock bag and not taped. The box had small pieces of tape at the edges but none on the center flaps.

To make a long story short: one of the flaps was damaged in transit and torn partially open. So I received 7 pieces of brass instead of 50 -- and I was probably lucky to get that.

In a perfect world, that box could have made it here without incident, so I did not ask the seller for a refund, though I did point out he could try and file a claim, though due to the packaging, I feel certain it would be denied.

But a few seconds to add some extra strips of tape could have prevented this ordeal. And securing the bag would have kept the brass together and meant the damage to the box was meaningless as the entire bag likely would not have fallen out.

Bottom line: Use plenty of tape. It's cheap.

Happy New Year to all!

Hi Bobby,
I had something similar happen to me. I shipped some bullets in a USPS Priority Mail flat rate box. It arrived at its destination, but it was delivered empty after someone opened it. The buyer was upset as was I. What I found out is that the person who received the package has to file the claim not the person who shipped it. I provided the buyer with pictures of the bullets and an invoice of what he paid through PayPal. It took about a month, but USPS sent him a check for the missing bullets.

Brian
On the opposite end of the spectrum: Today I received a small flat rate box of brass from forum member TRexF16. It was packaged securely and had enough tape that it may have been waterproof ha ha. I truly appreciate when folks take the time to package things in such a manner.

Thanks, TRexF16!
Do not use duct tape.
In the shuffle the ends lift, then it comes off or sticks to another box.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Do not use duct tape.
In the shuffle the ends lift, then it comes off or sticks to another box.

My local PO won't accept any package with duct tape on it.
I use duck tape if it is anything heavy. I tape the box edges and then around the box in all 3 directions. I rub down every edge of tge taoe.

For the last gun I shipped, I custom cut foam I had from something we bought to fit it and the inner box I shipped it in. Then wrapped that all in bubble wrap in an exterior box that got taped to Hell and back.

Had USPS tear open a medium flat rate box coming to me a few years ago. Stuck a big clear sheet to it with a oopps message. Cost me 2 mp5 trigger packs. Seller to blame some because he did not add any packing to it.
No tape got me once from a seller on here. Never did get my money back from him.
He hasn’t posted on here since, probably started a new handle. And it was only for $35.
He did change his name and location on his original account but I contacted Rick and he switched his name back to the original.
People that don’t use tape have [bleep] for brains.
I occasionally sell brass in quantities that require a medium FRB. I save smaller boxes from Amazon, Petmeds, etc. to pack it in, write the recipient's address on that box, and then put the small box inside the FRB with packaging to keep it from rattling. If I don't have a box I use a mailing envelope from Amazon or USPS. Multiple wraps of trape around all sides. So far so good on the MFRBs, but I did have a SFRB mangled and returned empty to me a couple of years ago. Filed a claim online and it was paid in a couple of weeks but the catch is USPS insurance does not cover the postage you pay. I believe that packing contents tight so it doesn't rattle around is second only to tape for preventing damaged boxes.
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
No tape got me once from a seller on here. Never did get my money back from him.
He hasn’t posted on here since, probably started a new handle. And it was only for $35.
He did change his name and location on his original account but I contacted Rick and he switched his name back to the original.
People that don’t use tape have [bleep] for brains.
$35 used to actually buy something .
The last few claims that USPS paid to me they did in fact reimburse the cost of shipping as well. Seems like they didn't use to do that, though.
Buy a case of this shlt and use it like it's free:

https://www.uline.com/BL_3111/Uline-Strapping-Tape
While this is thread is about tape (and i did not read all 6 pages)...

Been shipping guns for about 20 years.

When shipping firearms, bubble wrap (and tape) is cheap. Going to cost you a few more bucks to purchase and for shipping - big deal===> compared to the multi-hundred dollar gun that you are sending.

Jerry
This is what happens when you cheap out on packing materials

Attached picture IMG_5411.jpeg
© 24hourcampfire