Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by marksman1941
Originally Posted by Jcon72
Originally Posted by marksman1941
USPS won’t do anything for a claim involving anything gun related, so I took my licks and sent him another 100x bullets in a small box this time.

When did this policy begin? I've had insurance claims for bullets on several occasions (usually when a seller doesn't have a clue--or doesn't care--about how to package things) and they've usually come through for me.

It may not be policy, and could be just my luck. I’ve filled three claims with usps; one for a scope, one for bullets, one for a trigger. All three were denied by usps with no cause given. When I asked my local office, they told me that everything gun related was not allowed to ship, which is why they got denied. I know that’s not how their actual policy reads, but that doesn’t mean the decision makers don’t follow that same broken logic chain.

Well that would certainly make me angry! My postmistress is most helpful and knows that I have shipped brass/bullets/whatever countless times. A year ago she made sure to let me know about a local guy who was selling a bunch of brass, bullets, ammo and gun related items because she knew I'd be interested! grin
And yes, it wouldn't surprise me if some anti-2A'er got ahold of your claims and decided you were a BAD person.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
I may be guilty of making packages nearly bullet-proof and sometimes challenging to get in to, but not using enough when shipping is bound to backfire sooner or later.

A while back, I purchased some new brass. It was shipped in a small, flat rate box. The brass was in a ziplock bag and not taped. The box had small pieces of tape at the edges but none on the center flaps.

To make a long story short: one of the flaps was damaged in transit and torn partially open. So I received 7 pieces of brass instead of 50 -- and I was probably lucky to get that.

In a perfect world, that box could have made it here without incident, so I did not ask the seller for a refund, though I did point out he could try and file a claim, though due to the packaging, I feel certain it would be denied.

But a few seconds to add some extra strips of tape could have prevented this ordeal. And securing the bag would have kept the brass together and meant the damage to the box was meaningless as the entire bag likely would not have fallen out.

Bottom line: Use plenty of tape. It's cheap.

Happy New Year to all!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hi Bobby,
I had something similar happen to me. I shipped some bullets in a USPS Priority Mail flat rate box. It arrived at its destination, but it was delivered empty after someone opened it. The buyer was upset as was I. What I found out is that the person who received the package has to file the claim not the person who shipped it. I provided the buyer with pictures of the bullets and an invoice of what he paid through PayPal. It took about a month, but USPS sent him a check for the missing bullets.

Brian

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
On the opposite end of the spectrum: Today I received a small flat rate box of brass from forum member TRexF16. It was packaged securely and had enough tape that it may have been waterproof ha ha. I truly appreciate when folks take the time to package things in such a manner.

Thanks, TRexF16!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do not use duct tape.
In the shuffle the ends lift, then it comes off or sticks to another box.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Do not use duct tape.
In the shuffle the ends lift, then it comes off or sticks to another box.

My local PO won't accept any package with duct tape on it.

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
I use duck tape if it is anything heavy. I tape the box edges and then around the box in all 3 directions. I rub down every edge of tge taoe.

For the last gun I shipped, I custom cut foam I had from something we bought to fit it and the inner box I shipped it in. Then wrapped that all in bubble wrap in an exterior box that got taped to Hell and back.

Had USPS tear open a medium flat rate box coming to me a few years ago. Stuck a big clear sheet to it with a oopps message. Cost me 2 mp5 trigger packs. Seller to blame some because he did not add any packing to it.

Last edited by Ronald_55; 12/27/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No tape got me once from a seller on here. Never did get my money back from him.
He hasn’t posted on here since, probably started a new handle. And it was only for $35.
He did change his name and location on his original account but I contacted Rick and he switched his name back to the original.
People that don’t use tape have [bleep] for brains.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I occasionally sell brass in quantities that require a medium FRB. I save smaller boxes from Amazon, Petmeds, etc. to pack it in, write the recipient's address on that box, and then put the small box inside the FRB with packaging to keep it from rattling. If I don't have a box I use a mailing envelope from Amazon or USPS. Multiple wraps of trape around all sides. So far so good on the MFRBs, but I did have a SFRB mangled and returned empty to me a couple of years ago. Filed a claim online and it was paid in a couple of weeks but the catch is USPS insurance does not cover the postage you pay. I believe that packing contents tight so it doesn't rattle around is second only to tape for preventing damaged boxes.

Last edited by immature; 12/28/23.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
No tape got me once from a seller on here. Never did get my money back from him.
He hasn’t posted on here since, probably started a new handle. And it was only for $35.
He did change his name and location on his original account but I contacted Rick and he switched his name back to the original.
People that don’t use tape have [bleep] for brains.
$35 used to actually buy something .

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The last few claims that USPS paid to me they did in fact reimburse the cost of shipping as well. Seems like they didn't use to do that, though.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy a case of this shlt and use it like it's free:

https://www.uline.com/BL_3111/Uline-Strapping-Tape

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
While this is thread is about tape (and i did not read all 6 pages)...

Been shipping guns for about 20 years.

When shipping firearms, bubble wrap (and tape) is cheap. Going to cost you a few more bucks to purchase and for shipping - big deal===> compared to the multi-hundred dollar gun that you are sending.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This is what happens when you cheap out on packing materials

Attached Images
IMG_5411.jpeg (76.16 KB, 49 downloads)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 73 invisible), 3,290 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,196
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.