-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always envision the delivery person kicking the box or package out of the back of the truck or van like they’re trying out for kicker in the NFL. I package and tape with that thought in mind.

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe it’s been covered…….

Ups doesn’t deliver to most PO Boxes!!!!!!

They will take it. Just won’t deliver it

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm a huge fan of using the padded flat rate envelopes. I usually wrap items in them then drop the bundle into another padded FR envelope.

Today I had a discussion with my mail lady after she delivered a round tube that was shipped from VA on Dec 9th. She told me 40% of all round tubes get lost in transit. She said often times they roll off the sides of the sorting machines falling down inside. They don't get recovered until the machine gets repaired or replaced.

Take that for what it's worth. She also told me shipping firearms through the USPS is illegal. 🤦

Medics bury their mistakes..
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Dinny
I'm a huge fan of using the padded flat rate envelopes. I usually wrap items in them then drop the bundle into another padded FR envelope.

Today I had a discussion with my mail lady after she delivered a round tube that was shipped from VA on Dec 9th. She told me 40% of all round tubes get lost in transit. She said often times they roll off the sides of the sorting machines falling down inside. They don't get recovered until the machine gets repaired or replaced.

Take that for what it's worth. She also told me shipping firearms through the USPS is illegal. 🤦

Interesting about the tubes!

I have straightened out more than one USPS employee about mailing firearms--but it's been a while since the last one. She was the postmaster here for a few years, and was VERY confused about what was required--though very sure of herself too. She always asked me, "Is it broke down?" By which she apparently meant is it taken apart--which is NOT a requirement. The last time she asked me, the local PO had put up video cameras to record what went on at the shipping counter. She "retired" shortly afterward.

The woman postmaster who's been in charge for a while now is very good, and knows the rules.

Once received a small flat-rate priority box of bullets that had NO tape on it--and of course had busted open. Luckily the bullets were in a Ziploc bag that had started to leak a little, but toward the still intact part of the box....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 300MAG
I tape the living schit outta everything I ship.....like you said, tape is cheap!!

I just bought some as I was getting low, cheap it wasn’t, but I also believe in making packages that I ship, bullet proof.

NRA Patron
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I use USPS fiber reinforced envelopes inside of flat rate USPS boxes for Brass and bullets then I wrap in non stick plastic wrap.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A very long time ago, I bought a Ruger #1 from someone here. When it showed up at my house, it was literally put in a long box and wrapped with one layer of newspaper! It was flopping around like a banana in a shoebox. Unbelievably, there wasn't a mark on it!

I'm pack boxes as if I were packing them for myself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
think about it guy's. a small flat rate that weigh's heavy, signals either lead, which is almost as valuable as gold, or said gold.
also if such a shipment is routed through KC area, i would give long odds that it would disappear, or be pilfered.
i gave up on buying bullets on line.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
We pick up packages of 8 rolls of Scotch heavy-duty shipping tape at the local Costco whenever they goes on sale. The regular price if $24.99, but sale price is usually around $15. It really is cheap that way....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by deerstalker
think about it guy's. a small flat rate that weigh's heavy, signals either lead, which is almost as valuable as gold, or said gold.
also if such a shipment is routed through KC area, i would give long odds that it would disappear, or be pilfered.

I’ve bought and sold bullets many dozens (?hundreds) of times. Almost all shipped in small or med flat rate boxes. Well packed and taped, there’s never been a problem.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dinny
She told me 40% of all round tubes get lost in transit. She said often times they roll off the sides of the sorting machines falling down inside. 🤦

I have experienced this as well and will NEVER send a round tube again.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by mjac
The shipping Gorillas do not need any help. Tape em up, inside and out.

Obvious Shipping Gorilla mischief. Your package contents were swiped, not uncommon with today's USPS. Many packages arrive at my home, pre opened. What has happened is obvious.

Agreed, looks like someone swiped what sounded like bling to them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by marksman1941
USPS won’t do anything for a claim involving anything gun related, so I took my licks and sent him another 100x bullets in a small box this time.

When did this policy begin? I've had insurance claims for bullets on several occasions (usually when a seller doesn't have a clue--or doesn't care--about how to package things) and they've usually come through for me.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Some folks just will not take the time or effort to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tend to over package items I ship. On many scopes I've sold I ripped down some old paneling scraps and made a protective sleeve for them.

My only issue with USPS was a little over a month back. Sold some muzzle loader bullets to a member in MI. Packaged them up in a small fixed rate box and added extra tape on the seams and flap. A few days later the buyer contacts me and let's me know that box arrived...without the bullets. It appeared to have been ripped open, contents removed, taped back up (sloppily), and sent on to the addressee. I immediately refunded the buyer his money and filed a claim online with USPS the next day. I uploaded photos of the bullet boxes and a screenshot from midwayusa.com to establish value. I was surprised to receive a claim check from the USPS on the same day the buyer received my refund payment.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I buy and sell quite a few rifles and scopes online. Normally I’ll package in the factory box with additional padding, or in a hard side gun case. Then I wrap everything in brown kraft paper, then wrap the entire package with clear tape, the whole thing. I hate to curse myself, but I’ve shipped dozens like this and never had an issue with damage. With the way things are today, I’m starting to disassemble the long gun, and send it in a package that doesn’t scream “I’m a Gun”.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jcon72
Originally Posted by marksman1941
USPS won’t do anything for a claim involving anything gun related, so I took my licks and sent him another 100x bullets in a small box this time.

When did this policy begin? I've had insurance claims for bullets on several occasions (usually when a seller doesn't have a clue--or doesn't care--about how to package things) and they've usually come through for me.

It may not be policy, and could be just my luck. I’ve filled three claims with usps; one for a scope, one for bullets, one for a trigger. All three were denied by usps with no cause given. When I asked my local office, they told me that everything gun related was not allowed to ship, which is why they got denied. I know that’s not how their actual policy reads, but that doesn’t mean the decision makers don’t follow that same broken logic chain.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
as stated earlier...take the padded envelopes from usps and wrap your bullets and brass in them, roll them up and seal them as needed then put them in another padded envelope seal and tape them secure...never a problem for me

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by deerstalker

I’ve bought and sold bullets many dozens (?hundreds) of times. Almost all shipped in small or med flat rate boxes. Well packed and taped, there’s never been a problem.

Me too.

Have also had many firearms mailed to my PO Box, no problems.

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Medium flat rate box I mailed, that somehow arrived with contents intact. It was heavy, probably 60 lbs. I didn't go sparingly on materials at all.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (2500HD, 1_deuce, 673, 300_savage, 21 invisible), 1,728 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,626
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.