Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I may be guilty of making packages nearly bullet-proof and sometimes challenging to get in to, but not using enough when shipping is bound to backfire sooner or later.

A while back, I purchased some new brass. It was shipped in a small, flat rate box. The brass was in a ziplock bag and not taped. The box had small pieces of tape at the edges but none on the center flaps.

To make a long story short: one of the flaps was damaged in transit and torn partially open. So I received 7 pieces of brass instead of 50 -- and I was probably lucky to get that.

In a perfect world, that box could have made it here without incident, so I did not ask the seller for a refund, though I did point out he could try and file a claim, though due to the packaging, I feel certain it would be denied.

But a few seconds to add some extra strips of tape could have prevented this ordeal. And securing the bag would have kept the brass together and meant the damage to the box was meaningless as the entire bag likely would not have fallen out.

Bottom line: Use plenty of tape. It's cheap.

Happy New Year to all!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
That’s tough man. I go through half a dozen rolls of tape every couple months, and have received messages more than once that say “man I’m glad you used so much tape, because usps beat the crap out of that box!”

I received a box a while back that wasn’t even taped shut, and contained cash for a purchase. Thankfully no one got curious, but it sure made me nervous for a bit when I realized there wasn’t a bit of tape on the box.

Tape is cheap, plentiful, and easy to use. As are paper bags for packing fodder. It’s well worth taking an extra minute to pack it right and tape it tight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tape the living schit outta everything I ship.....like you said, tape is cheap!!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Spending fifty cents on tape is way less aggravating than trying to deal with an insurance claim.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I stopped using flat rate envelopes too. I used to send bullet packs, heavily taped up, in envelopes. About a month ago I shipped 100x 300gr 338 bullets in an envelope, heavily taped, but when it arrived the bottom had been slit and the bullets stolen. USPS won’t do anything for a claim involving anything gun related, so I took my licks and sent him another 100x bullets in a small box this time. I won’t go back to envelopes, as they’re too easy to quickly cut open. Not that a box is a TON more secure, but it is marginally more so.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
On another note: I ordered a knife sharpening kit for a gift. It was ordered through Amazon & shipped via USPS in the factory box with NO tape (loose flaps/lid) and somehow managed to make it here OK. Why they didn't drop it into a cardboard box or at least tape it shut is beyond me. But at least it all worked out...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
So true!

Last edited by donsm70; 12/26/23.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I didn't need to see this, I have a rifle in transit lol

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I ship lots of Priority Mail small boxes, first thing I do is tape the end flaps. After I seal the closure flap I tape that too. Never had any problems and I've shipped 100's of items that way.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
The shipping Gorillas do not need any help. Tape em up, inside and out.

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Tape is your friend,When shipping

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
got so caught up taping a box last week that I got stuck to it. Twas a rough ride through the sorting machine down at the PO

Last edited by 5960; 12/26/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always taped boxes very well but now I've taken to wrapping the entire box in the black plastic shipping wrap also. Great results.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just recieved 3 boxes of 100 gr TTSX from you that DogCat bought from you. I was pleased to see how you wrapped Bobby , I will follow your packaging ! great Job!

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Amen. I sometimes tape over the entire box.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bought a scope on here a while back an while he used tape. He just dropped the scope in the box and sent it.

Bubble wrap an balled up news paper is also cheap......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just shipped a bunch of bullets to several guys and hope they survive the trip. I shrink wrapped individual boxes (or 2 boxes together), put them in a HEAVY DUTY Ziploc style bag, shrink wrapped that and them padded the boxes and taped the boxes shut about 17 different directions. I am HOPING they all arrive as they should but you just never know. I think sometimes they intentionally get rough with heavy boxes.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't neglect to pack paper or wrap inside the
box to help cushion the contents for when the
pinheads at the P.O. toss your package around.
I try to shake it after packaging to see if
anything moves around. I halfway believe that
they deliberately try to tear things up at times.
I've already B.T.D.T. as far as trying to make a
claim, and it is a genuine pain. You're lucky if
you get anywhere, and if you get it done without
a migraine

Have one going out
as soon as I have transportation

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mjac
The shipping Gorillas do not need any help. Tape em up, inside and out.

Obvious Shipping Gorilla mischief. Your package contents were swiped, not uncommon with today's USPS. Many packages arrive at my home, pre opened. What has happened is obvious.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I'm probably guilty of over packing things when I ship them.
Like others have said, tape is cheap insurance.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 163bc, 44 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,661
Posts18,512,878
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.