Home
Selling for a friend of the family. 1955 straight stock. I believe this was before they called them Mounties. In pretty good shape. Missing but pad in the picture but a original replacement is on the way. Bullseye still in butt stock. Would like $1000 shipped. Can get more pictures if needed.
Thanks
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Somebody help me out. Were those screw holes left ide of barrel done at the factory on some model 39’s ? I have never seen them on any others
Originally Posted by Mohall57
Somebody help me out. Were those screw holes left ide of barrel done at the factory on some model 39’s ? I have never seen them on any others

Yes, for a scope mount.

A Weaver N mount, if I recall correctly.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Uhuh wonder what model this is , 39 what, cause I understood marlin made many different model 39’s
39a I think is all that it's marked with. Let me double check.
Marked 39a. Has a 20" barrel. I was told it's just a straight stock 39a.
All I know is I wish I had an extra grand laying around doing nothing......
Ha me too. I would love to buy if from him but I don't really have the spare cash. It's a sweet little gun. I'm a sucker for straight stock marlins.
Same boat.
My 88 year old mom just told me she wants a Henry .22.
I'd rather get her this!
Originally Posted by Teeder
Same boat.
My 88 year old mom just told me she wants a Henry .22.
I'd rather get her this!

I'll give you my Henry if you buy me this!😃
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Huh, that mount looks luke a couple I have bren trying to ID...

What is the letter prefix on the serial?
Tag
M prefix
tag
1953 was the first year for the Marlin "Mountie" but all it was, was a straight stocked 39A with a 24" barrel. The following year it was chopped to 20" but still said 39A on the barrel and it stayed like that until (IIRC) the later 50's where they dropped the 39A and they were stamped 39M, for Mountie. This one is a correct marked Mountie (39A) for the year it was made, and the drilled barrel/scope holes are also factory original.
Thanks for the knowledge!
Tagging this one for a possible upcoming weak moment.
No time like the present!
According to Brophy's , it was changed to the Golden Model 39A Mountie in 1957 and wasn't changed to the Golden 39M until 1972.
What happened to the butt plate and where is the replacement coming from?
I'm not positive. I'm guessing it had gotten cracked at some point in time. I think the replacement is coming from an eBay seller but not 100% sure. It should be here this week. Possibly Thursday.
The replacement butt plates that I've purchased & fitted to my rifles look as good or better than the originals, if done correctly. I've fitted three that I purchased from the same seller on ebay. It's about a 30 minute job with a dremel & a polishing compound for the edges once fitted correctly. I can post pics if anyone is interested in how they turn out.
I think this one is supposed to be an original. So I guess we'll see how well it fits.
If it is not right. Looks like Nu.rich has some. This os for a late model, but might fit all

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-ma...rifles-marlin/39-series-2/39a-late-model
Where is it located?
The rifle? North east South Dakota.
Butt pad showed up. Fits pretty well but will need a little grinding. Will post pictures when he gets it finished up.
Some of the 20 inch 57 marlins were marked 39a with blued triggers, as I have one. They must have changed to Mounties during the year.
Is the receiver top also d/t for scope mount, as referenced in 1955 Marlin letter posted?
I'll double check and let you know.
Receiver is not d&t.
This one is sold.
© 24hourcampfire