Home
Reading another post it seems like a lot of folks have gotten burned on fake money orders and didn't know about this automated verification system. It works great, takes just a minute or two, and is probably the best way to double check against a fake mo.

The number is 1-866-459-7822, its all automated. Just type in a few key numbers off the m.o. and it verifies if it is a good one or not. Below is the USPS website that has some good info on their mo's and mentions the number.

https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm

Hope this helps somebody.
Tall
good info -- thanks
Tag
Tag 2
Definitely good info - I bookmarked that site.
Tag
thanks for the info
tag
Tag
Thank you sir.
I refuse to accept or send postal money orders. You haven't been jerked around until the post office loses one; or it fails to show up.
Great info, thanks. Makes verification a whole lot easier!
Tag
I've used them for years and never have had an issue.
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
I take any method of payment, including personal checks. I have had no issues.

same here

I refuse to accept or send postal money orders. You haven't been jerked around until the post office loses one; or it fails to show up.

laugh
never been sent a money order. never.
TAG and thanks
If the USPS cashes them, it's validity is no longer your problem. Just throwing that out there...
Tag
Tag
Tag
tag, your it
Thanks, good info.
G
Tag

Very helpful post. Thanks.
Very helpful since it took a member 3 months to clear my USPS money order before he shipped out my stuff.

bookmarked
Tag. Thanks for the info.
Thanks, tag for later.
The one time a buyer claimed to not have received the postal money order I sent, I went to file a claim and post office told me I had to wait at least 6 months and then it would take a couple months after that to research. They said it often results in no resolution.
It was only $50 so i wrote it off.
Thanks, Great info!
Tag
I have one out there floating around...but got my $$ back from
usps....it did take about 60 days though...but I did get it...letter has never shown up.
Didn't know that. Thanks
It's worthwhile to get a tracking number any time funds in any form are sent. It comes standard with priority mail or is $1.05 for a first class parcel.

Some folks have reported that the post office - and UPS and FedEx for that matter - lie about it, but it does offer some proof that the payment or package got to its destination.

Two people in my life have given me great advice about these things:

"Always do your business in a business like manner" - Professor of Business Admin at USU.

"Always cover your ass!" - SFC Barlongo, US Army
Tag
Tag, thanks for posting this

Amen. Some clerks won't even cash a big one because they are so afraid it could be fake. They are responsible for every money order they cash, so they give excuses like they don't have enough money in the till, come back never, take it to your bank etc. etc.. USPS money orders and the post office are a damn joke in regards to how they will not help you if there is a problem with fraudulent money orders or problems in shipping.
tag
never had a problem getting one or receiving one.
tag
Tag
If you take the $ order to the post office, they will give you cash if it is real, no issues down the road. Get cash, ship items to buyer.

Anyone taking one to a Bank to cash it are risking forgery, taking it to the Post office....done deal.

Not sure why so many can't figure that out.
^^^
Problem with that is most Post Offices won't have the cash on hand. I've tried 3-4 times trying to cash a $300-$800 m.o. and they didn't have the cash. Makes sense, they're not a bank. So in these cases you have no choice but to deposit at your bank.

BUT....using the verification system gives you some pretty good comfort level that its not a fake.

Good point, I have, but forgot, that is an issue I had also. I went to the closest bigger PO and was able to cash it. I had her call to make sure they had the funds before driving there.

I would expect if you asked them to get the $, they would be obligated to cash the money order they, as a company made, if given time to get the cash needed. They get $ every day to cover the smaller daily stuff, She said they could increase it to cover the money order if I could wait a day.
Tag.
Why not accept a personal check. Cashing and accepting personal checks are much easier with today's systems. Generally clear within 24 to 48 hours and the sender does not have to pay a silly fee or wait in line to purchase the money order. I have never denied a personal check from a member nor have I ever not had one clear. Much easier!!
^^^^^
Main reason is having to wait so long to make 100% sure the check has cleared the bank for good. I've seen checks bounce after supposedly clearing the bank. I've also seen Amscott money orders returned NSF after clearing when they were purchased with a forged check.

USPS m.o.'s are like bearer bonds...same as cash to the recipient. I like them, cheap and easily verified. YMMV
tag
Ahh, technology
Tag
Had a USPS Express {overnite} letter with 2 big ones in it get lost in my local PO after it was "tracked" there !
Postmaster called a week later ; cleaners found it underneath a chest.
Guy from Texas was confident and wealthy and wanted my stuff!
Sent me another one after a few days .
Laffed his azz off when I called and told him they found it.

REGISTERED MAIL - Safest way to send anything mailable.
Takes a little longer than First Class, But is under LOCK&KEY every step of the way !
Or just click a few buttons and transfer it immediately. No brainer
tag
tag
Bump again for anyone that didn't see it before.

I've made a few sales lately and this has made receiving postal money orders so much nicer and safer than any other payment method imho.
Tag Good stuff. Thanks
Postal money order = epic waste of time
Tag
Bump for anyone that was not aware.

I just used the system again today, still works like a charm. I am able to ship off the buyer's item tomorrow without waiting for the money order to clear my bank...no worries about the money order being a fake.

Edit: looks like the Mods just made this a sticky/pin at the top of the Classifieds. Hope it helps some folks. Thx
Tag
I will remember thanks
Stickied!
thanks
personal check and wate till it clears, simple
Exactly...And now they clear much faster than the money order. I'll never understand the fascination with this ridiculous form of payment
Had a seller request a Walmart MO. Didn't know they had them but it worked out fine. Very convenient since Walmarts are everywhere and should have the cash on hand. There is no way any post office around me would have more that a couple hundred.
Tag
Originally Posted by TallPine
Reading another post it seems like a lot of folks have gotten burned on fake money orders and didn't know about this automated verification system. It works great, takes just a minute or two, and is probably the best way to double check against a fake mo.

The number is 1-866-459-7822, its all automated. Just type in a few key numbers off the m.o. and it verifies if it is a good one or not. Below is the USPS website that has some good info on their mo's and mentions the number.

https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm

Hope this helps somebody.
Tall

The post office here wouldn't cash a big MO, even though I told them I called the number and verified it. They told me to take it to my bank and cash it there. How's that for great service??? Still nice to have the number so you can check to make sure it isn't fraudulent, before you deposit it into your checking or savings account...
Originally Posted by Mac1978
Exactly...And now they clear much faster than the money order. I'll never understand the fascination with this ridiculous form of payment

And should the check bounce? The recipient pays a fee and will have to try and collect from the payer who may not have been using their own identity. Time, hassle and expense. US postal money orders can be verified. Most counterfeits are just good color copies but don't have the watermark or inter-threaded ribbon. There really aren't any perfect risk-free methods of payment when dealing with strangers over the internet.
I don't understand why a paypal type money transfer system doesn't exist for guns. If PayPal are a bunch of liberal sheits about guns, why doesn't someone come up with a gun friendly system, even with a small fee it would be better than USPS MOs. I have to stand in line for a half hour to get one, then it feels like I'm sending cash thru the mail.
It was tried with GunPal/GPal, turned out the owner was a little less than honest....
I have sent and received them many times, with no issues, yet.
I dont want no USPS MO took me 4 tries to cash the last one for $200 Post Office has to have $200 cash on hand or deposit it at bank and wait and see if it clears. Would prefer a Cashiers check that I can verify. Got better things to do with my life than go back to the P Office!
I understand what "Tag" is and means.

Why do so many need to tell the world they "tagged" something?

This thread would probably be a full page less if not for these brilliant "tag" posts. Is there an advantage to building one's post count?...Tom

Thx !

worked for me !
A personal check seems a lot better. Just take it to the bank it was drawn on and get the money. You don't have to wait for it to clear that way as you would if you deposit it at your bank.
Originally Posted by thomasconnor

This thread would probably be a full page less if not for these brilliant "tag" posts. Is there an advantage to building one's post count?...Tom

Because the search function is a real pain in the butt on this site. By tagging, you can find it in your posts much easier.

You been here 4 years and thats all you can say?
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Thx !

worked for me !

+2.........
Yes USPS Money Orders are great until there is a problem and then they are terrible.

I am very rural the Post Office never has the funds on hand to cash even $200 money orders.

My local bank puts holds on USPS Money Orders as well as Cashier's Checks. They claim there is just so much forgery.

As others have said anymore there is no benefit to requiring more than a plain old personal check.

My bank clears most personal checks in 24 hours.

If people would spend as much time and energy using technology for good things instead of bad this world would be a better place. I truly believe that computers, especially those connected to the Internet, and specifically social media will be the downfall of our society. These forums are as E-social as I get. I still talk face to face.
Originally Posted by Allen917
Originally Posted by thomasconnor

Because the search function is a real pain in the butt on this site. By tagging, you can find it in your posts much easier.

You been here 4 years and thats all you can say?

My good man, you've been here 10 years and don't know the answer either?

Respectfully, you answered a question that was not asked; indeed your answer was already stipulated in my first sentence: "I understand what tagged is and means."

I'll repeat the question, why do so many need to tell the world that they tagged something? Is it to boost post count?

You can assume, as stated twice now, that I know what "tagged" is should you have insight into the question...thanks...Tom
Originally Posted by BachelorJack
If the USPS cashes them, it's validity is no longer your problem. Just throwing that out there...

Exactly. I prefer us postal money orders. I take them to the post office and cash them. You are certain it is good. Deposit the money in the bank and mail the item. Perfect.

I was given a bad personal check one time, and it was not fun. The guy was local, bought some old wheel from me. He made good for the money, and it was only $80, but it was not a good feeling.
Highly over rated, I've been burned 1800.00, guy added last name to my money order and informed by postal investagater that it was not fraud?
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your bank does not clear the personal check, or bank cashier's check even, with in 24 hours. It may clear your bank, but not the issuing bank. Thats where the problem lies. It may show cleared and deposited into your account, you may even be able to withdraw the funds, but a week later when the issuing bank contacts your bank and tells them the check was counterfeit, your bank will take the funds out of your account. Any personal check or bank cashier's check, I wait a minimum of 2 weeks.

Taking a personal check to a branch of the bank it was drawn off is not a bad idea, but not all banks will cash checks for non-customers. Other than some post offices "claiming" not to have enough cash, it's still one of the quickest way to ensure you get paid prior to shipping.

With today's online banking a buyer who pays with a personal check can view their cleared check online (after their bank has paid the check). Rather than waiting weeks, the burden of proving their personal check has cleared is placed on the buyer if they want the item ASAP.

I tell folks I accept personal checks from that I will ship sooner (than two weeks) when they can tell me what my stamp (endorsement) on the back of their check says. Oftentimes it clears their bank in only a couple of days before THEY (the buyer) can view it online.

The only problem is explaining the process to folks who don't know what online banking is. Rather than look online, those folks can call their bank to see if the check was paid, and report to me (as relayed by their teller) what my stamp reads, which tells me it has been paid...Tom

works great.........again
Sweet Louise, life looks like a real bear for many.
How about Pay Pal Gift friend or family payout for cash?
Originally Posted by tfunge
How about Pay Pal Gift friend...?

That is a red flag that someone is a liar and a cheat.
I just walk into my local post office and they scan it for me, before I "take it to the bank."

Savage99F358
TAG
tag
Tag
For gods sakes.... You guys have got to stop with these ridiculous freaking things.
Nice!! And thank you!
Thanks
Had this type of thing happened to me on a gun sell. The buyer issued a personal check from his credit union. I called his credit union to verify that the check had cleared his account and would not give out that information. So he called them and got me on a conference call at the same time and his credit union would only tell him that there were enough funds in the account to cover the check but would not tell him if the check had cleared the account or not. So, I waited another week before shipping the gun to his FFL dealer in hope that the check had cleared his bank, because I had no way of verifying if it actually had or not. So a lesson learned for me.
Nearly-retarded individuals abound.....

Thanks for the number TallPine.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Amen. Some clerks won't even cash a big one because they are so afraid it could be fake. They are responsible for every money order they cash, so they give excuses like they don't have enough money in the till, come back never, take it to your bank etc. etc.. USPS money orders and the post office are a damn joke in regards to how they will not help you if there is a problem with fraudulent money orders or problems in shipping.

In that pit right now. And they charged me $6.15 to go look for the postal money order that they lost with my certified mail!
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Yes USPS Money Orders are great until there is a problem and then they are terrible.

I am very rural the Post Office never has the funds on hand to cash even $200 money orders.

My local bank puts holds on USPS Money Orders as well as Cashier's Checks. They claim there is just so much forgery.

As others have said anymore there is no benefit to requiring more than a plain old personal check.

My bank clears most personal checks in 24 hours.

^^^This^^^
Postal Money Orders are a pain in the ass!!!

I’ve NEVER had a problem with a personal check from ANY 24 Hour Camp 🔥 Member I’ve taken as payment.
Tag
I've never had a problem with a USPS money order the only problem I ever had using a Western Union money order that never showed up to the the seller and when I went to see about getting my money back on it or however this goes there was a $15 fee to get my $15 money order straightened out so I just let it go
oh I forgot to say that if the same thing would have happened with a USPS money order and I went down to try to get my money refunded back to me on the USPS money order I would probably have to pay a fee there too
UTTERING & PUBLISHING is the felony charge; when one sends a forged USPS money order, the felony is compounded by the US statues that apply to using the US Mail, and that that the check is a federal check. So contact the US Postal Inspector 's office with as much info you retained about the sale. The crook is looking at federal prosecution, legal defense fees, federal fines, court costs, and federal time (3 hots & a cot).
Tag
I just checked a MO online with USPS, easy. Anyone who has never had a problem with a personal check, on this forum or anywhere else, is a lucky duck and should have bought lottery tickets.
Cool
Tag
works!
Originally Posted by Hogeye
I just checked a MO online with USPS, easy. Anyone who has never had a problem with a personal check, on this forum or anywhere else, is a lucky duck and should have bought lottery tickets.

I have been taking personal checks for years-----Never a problem!!
Consider me a
Lucky Duck
shocked
Thanks for making this a sticky. We have a P.O. right here in town, easy to get to, never had a problem with a USPS, but didn't know about this phone #.
Good information, thanks for sharing.
tag
© 24hourcampfire