Home
Posted By: coyo calcium carbide F/S - 04/24/17
I have 2+ Lbs. of calcium carbide in an old I believe about 1960 calcium carbide miners lamp can I will sell for $45 shipped to your tee pee.
Posted By: elkchsr Re: calcium carbide F/S - 04/24/17
Might want to look into what it takes to ship calcium carbide. Just a thought.
Posted By: BlaserSkeet Re: calcium carbide F/S - 04/25/17
Must be shipped HAZMAT, and you must be certified to ship HAZMAT to be able to ship HAZMAT, they won't accept shipments from anybody without credentials.
Posted By: coyo Re: calcium carbide F/S - 04/25/17
Ive seen quite a bit of this on ebay now maybe these folks got hazmat but Ive never seen them mention anything about hazmat and their horse pucky but I spose you better hope and pray that trump does make america great again cause its about a damn mess now.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: calcium carbide F/S - 04/25/17
That stuff is one of those things that truly legitimizes HAZMAT. Suppose your package got wet along the way, or the mailman simply sets it outside the recipient's door in the rain- don't laugh wet packages aren't uncommon in my life. And if carbide gets wet...
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: calcium carbide F/S - 04/25/17
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
That stuff is one of those things that truly legitimizes HAZMAT. Suppose your package got wet along the way, or the mailman simply sets it outside the recipient's door in the rain- don't laugh wet packages aren't uncommon in my life. And if carbide gets wet...

It wouldn't hurt a thing unless it was in an air tight container and got wet,or it was exposed to an open flame. It creates a gas when it gets wet that will ignite.It might explode if enough of it got wet enough inside an air tight container. If the gas expanded enough it might explode but it isn't like dynamite.

A miners light used Carbide inside an air tight container mixed with water.You would light the nozzle which is attached to a reflector for a light. Miners would wear them on their head. I never knew of any miners getting their heads blown off.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: calcium carbide F/S - 04/26/17
I have my grandfather's carbide lamp he wore daily for the 3 or 4 years he worked in the Glen Burn Mine in Shamokin, Pa back in the 20's (before he had the good sense to get out of that game). He told stories of guys suffering burnt hair and scorched faces from malfunctioning carbide lamps. They are anything but foolproof.

Go ahead and mail the carbide. Personally I really don't care. Just don't say you weren't warned when a couple postal inspectors come knocking at your door...
© 24hourcampfire