Home
I have a Stainless Montana Rifle Co. Model 1999 Short Action chambered in .35-.300 WSM. I bought it from the manufacturer as a barrelled action. They furnished and installed, and then chambered the barrel. Later I bought a Winchester M70 Featherweight stock and had a gunsmith fit it to my barrelled action.

It will come with a Redding .35-.300 WSM die set. I have chronographed the Sierra 225 gr at 2,975 fps; the Speer 250 gr at 2,775 fps; and the reduced Speer 270 gr (9.3mm) at 2,600 fps. I always felt safe hunting with it in Alaska.

Asking $1,550 for the rifle and dies, plus shipping. The scope and sling shown in the pics are not included. Request more pics from jwatkinscustomcpu.com.
Jerry/AK

Attached picture 20190114_174712.jpg
Attached picture 20190114_174820.jpg
TTT
BTT
great looking rifle... GLWS
Thank you. If I still lived in Alaska I wouldn't think of selling it.
JerryAK
TTT
Friends,
I do realize that this is a niche rifle/cartridge, but if you're a handloader and you hunt either Alaska (as I did) or Elk in Colorado, I recommend you consider this rifle. I've already told you the chronographed velocities I am getting with various .35 caliber bullets. Please know that this is a powerful cartridge with a reliable CRF action and a corrosion resistant package for the biggest game in America.

I once shot a young bull moose which was standing broadside at maybe 85 yards and looking forwards...not at me. I had seen his very small spikes, which made him a legal and tender bull, and asked the fellow who was with me to confirm what I was seeing. He brought up his bino's and after a few seconds said "Yep, he's legal". I fired immediately, hitting him in the spine of the middle of the neck, with one of my Speer 250 grainers. He flipped onto his back with both of those spikes buried in the tundra and with all four legs in the air...ready for butchering. My friend said "What the hell did you hit him with?".

If I don't receive a reasonable offer, that's okay. Then I'll just download it and blast whitetails here in Kentucky. I don't have to sell it.
Jerry/AK
To the top.
It's a beautiful gun, but when you build a gun like that you almost have to be willing to be buried with it.

If you can't get a deal you are happy with, I'd keep it and down load it somewhere between a 35 Rem and 358 Win. Make a terrific deer gun and every time you shoot a deer with it will bring back memories of AK.

TTT
That is the plan.
Jerry

That is a beautiful rifle.!

Let's see here...

Jerry - A fine gentleman here among us.
The Mighty 358 WSM - Efficient Powerful Accurate
An Excellent platform
Dies are part of the deal

A wise man will figure for himself a need for this Beauty, all the way around.

I was able to push the 250 grain Hornady RN safely in my rifle to 2800 fps and ran 225 grain NPTs / SAFs / TSXs to an avg velocity of 2930...

...and it may have been the most accurate rifle I've owned.

Best to you Jerry.
I click on this ad every time I pass it to look at those pics. Gorgeous rifle!

Free Bump.
A big "Thank You" to 35WSM and CJC73.
Jerry/AK
End of weekend bump.
What do you do for brass? I'm new to reloading about a year and this cartridge has my interest
The parent case of this wildcat is the .300 Winchester Short Mag. All I do is run that brass through the resizing die twice...using a .338" expander button on the depriming stem the first time and a .358" expander button the second time. It is easy. But I can provide brass with the rifle.

Welcome to reloading. I've been at it for over 50 years now. I hardly ever buy factory ammo for any of my guns.
Jerry/AK
Obnoxious self-serving bump.
Jerry/AK
I forgot to mention this detail before: the Montana Rifle Co M1999 short action is one of the few (maybe the only??) short actions to allow an overall cartridge length of 3.1", which allows seating bullets out a bit and gaining powder capacity.
Jerry/AK
Super cool rig! Wish I moose and Griz around to have a need!!
Hi friends! I want to restart this ad, especially for those of you in Alaska. I have spent the summer in the Anchorage area and have the rifle and dies here with me.

Maybe an Alaskan member of the 'fire would care to meet with me to check out this rifle?? Of course, since I'm now a Kentucky resident, if you decide to buy it, the transfer must go thru an FFL-holder.

I'm visiting the Kenai Peninsula for a week or so, and then will return to Anchorage and the Mat Valley.

Give me a call to make an appointment: 907-242-3234.
Nice rifle! Is that the Featherweight stock for the WSM or the standard SA Featherweight? What's the overall weight and barrel length?
That is a very cool rifle. Cool enough to move back to Alaska. I often wonder how hard it must be to leave Alaska and all it has to offer.
That's beautiful
Sir,
The rifle, without scope and sling, weighs 7 lbs 13 oz on my 10 lb kitchen scale. And the barrel length is 23".

As for the stock, I don't know that there is any variation between a Featherweight stock for a WSM chambering vs a .308-based chambering. But I do know that fitting one to a MRC action took my 'smith a lot of time and cost me accordingly.

Thanks for the questions...glad to answer.
Thx, Showdog75!
Thanks, Sakoluvr.

Yes, it is very hard to leave Alaska. That is why although we bought a home in Louisville 6 years ago I've spent every summer since then back in Alaska. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Jerry/AK
Thanks.

That's a fine looking rifle.
A flagrant re-up is occasionally required. smile
Jerry/AK
BTT
i just picked a ftw stainless in .325wsm. beautiful rifles and free bump!
Back to the top.
bump for a thumper...
Back to the top.
Jerry/AK
Price reduced to $1,250 shipped CONUS.
Jerry/AK
I have an MRC 325 wsm it is an elk slayer. Even if you don't live in Alaska and you spend most of you're time hunting elk, dunno how you could ask for anything better. Couldn't get much better knowing you're the only guy on the mountain hunting with that caliber. Gotta love the unique!
Tag
TTT
Beautiful! I'm a sucker for stainless on walnut.....
BTT
In my original post, the email address I gave was incomplete. My correct email address is [email protected]

I apologize profusely. I have been unaware of the error all this time until today.
Jerry/AK
Take a close look. It's a very nice rifle.
Jerry/AK
BTT
BTT
Do ou still have this rifle? Dies? Ammo? Brass? Interested in all and any
I'm sorry, 44mag4me, I just now saw your comment.

Yes, I still have this rifle, complete with dies and components. I tried to Private Message you but your box is full. Please email me at [email protected].
Jerry/AK
That is still a very cool rifle!
The stock looks the same as the one on our Mod. 70 Featherweight "Stainless Classic" 30-06. Best looking stock Winchester ever made. Your loaded round looks about identical to my .348 Ackley Improved round, but do to action strength I can't get the velocities you do with my 250 grain load.

Any way, a cool option for a short mag. !
Thank you, RevMike!
1Akshooter,
It is indeed a Model 70 Featherweight Classic stock. I had a gunsmith in Palmer, Alaska, modify it to fit the Montana Rifle Co barrelled action, and he did a great job. Thanks for the compliment.
Jerry/AK
This is a unique and very cool rig. The Montana 1999 action is a great CRF action, combining the best of the Mauser 98 and the Winchester M70. I am more of a "fast .30 cal" guy, otherwise this rifle would already be sold.
If it’s anything like my 375-300, then it’s a down right killer. Gotta love those 300 wildcats. Fine looking rifle!
Thanks, shinbone!
Jerry/AK
Thanks, ColtZ71!
PM Sent
Still for sale...

I've heard this one referred to as the 35 Wapiti.

Download it to 358 Legend or 35 Rem ballistics and you'll be golden.

Nice rifle, but my wildcatting days are over.

Originally Posted by Jerry/AK
Then I'll just download it and blast whitetails here in Kentucky. I don't have to sell it.
Jerry/AK
That's a thinking man's rifle. I just bought a 35 Whelen or I'd be on it like white on rice.

Okie John
Thanks John,
Do you need any brass or bullets for that Whelen?
Jerry/AK
Thanks John,
Do you need any brass or bullets for that Whelen?
Jerry/AK

What .358 bullets do you have?

@ Jerry: Aren't you the guy who used to swage down the 9.3mm/286 gr partition to 0.358"

That would be something I'd be interested in.
Still for sale...

So am I to understand that this is a .300 WSM necked up to .358?

Kind of a "Supercharged .358 Win" so to speak?

How much does the rifle weigh without scope and sling?
Termin8r,
Yes it is the .300 WSM simply necked up...easy. I h mentioned the chronographed velocities of several bullet weights in previous comments on this thread.

The rifle, without scope and sling, weighs 7 lbs 13 oz on my 10 lb kitchen scale. And the barrel length is 23".
Jerry/AK
Termin8r,
It would be easier if you'd tell me what bullets you're looking for. But I will say that most .35 caliber bullet types that I have are conventional cup/core construction and 250 grain and up. But I still have other .35's to feed. LOL
Jerry/AK
MuskegMan,
Yes, I am that guy. I bought a Bullet Reducing Die from Corbin. Although I did reduce some Nosler 9.3mm 286gr Partitions (and still have at least one box) I more often worked with the Speer 9.3mm 270gr Semi-Spitzers (and have a half dozen or so boxes of those. Of course, I could reduce whatever 9.3mm bullet you'd care to use though.
Jerry/AK
Back to the top.
Back to the top.
This is the cartridge that Winchester should have made not the 325 WSM....if I still had my hunting land it would be in my hands.....great one gun cartridge .....
© 24hourcampfire