Home
Posted By: garyw Shipping Question- CLOSED - 08/23/19
Is it legal to ship ammunition in the same box with a rifle?
Thanks for any help.
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Shipping Question - 08/23/19
No.
Posted By: garyw Re: Shipping Question - 08/23/19

Thanks.
Posted By: warpig602 Re: Shipping Question - 08/23/19
I dont see why not, the only stipulation ofr ammo is that it must have the appropriate ORM-D label on the box. Could be wrong........first time for everything smile
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Shipping Question - 08/23/19
My local post office says no.
Posted By: ned Re: Shipping Question - 08/23/19
My FFL went nuts when someone sent ammo in the same box as the rifle. Don't do it.
Posted By: TallPine Re: Shipping Question - 08/23/19
Definitely not allowed to ship ammo with a firearm. I believe that is a federal mandate, not just a silly rule of the common carriers.

Also...as a side note....it is definitely NOT allowed to ship ammo by postal service. I believe that too is a federal mandate. Mailing components like bullets is okay, but not loaded ammo.
Posted By: TenX Re: Shipping Question - 08/23/19
If this is appropriate I don't think you can ship handloaded ammo, only factory loaded ammo in its factory boxes. I might be wrong, but that's my understanding.
Phil
Posted By: Hubert Re: Shipping Question - 08/23/19
You are wrong. you cannot ship any ammo with a firearm. or through the USPS...
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Shipping Question - 08/23/19
Originally Posted by TenX
If this is appropriate I don't think you can ship handloaded ammo, only factory loaded ammo in its factory boxes. I might be wrong, but that's my understanding.
Phil

Ammo is ammo and no you cannot ship it with the firearm.
For everyone saying you cant.....do you have a link to anything stating as such? Not doubting you, Id just like to read it myself.
Originally Posted by Troutnut
My local post office says no.

Post Office wont ship ammo on its own.
Posted By: ken158 Re: Shipping Question - 08/23/19
Originally Posted by TenX
Phil

You are correct that you are wrong. Ammo cannot be sent USPS. Ammo is ammo regardless of who loaded it and ammo must be sent common carrier with proper ORM-D sticker. There is no "factory box" stipulation. Lots of ammo gets shipped bulk...
None of us in the know will have these rules bookmarked and handy for distribution. If you want to confirm this info, go to the same place on the ATF website where it would explain all the other commonly known rules...such as it being unlawful for a non-licensee (individual) to ship a firearm to another non-licensee (individual) across state lines, etc. We don't know exactly where that is stated but we all know it to be true.
Originally Posted by TallPine
None of us in the know will have these rules bookmarked and handy for distribution. If you want to confirm this info, go to the same place on the ATF website where it would explain all the other commonly known rules...such as it being unlawful for a non-licensee (individual) to ship a firearm to another non-licensee (individual) across state lines, etc. We don't know exactly where that is stated but we all know it to be true.

Thats easily found:

How may an unlicensed person receive a firearm in his or her State that he or she purchased from an out–of–State source?
An unlicensed person who is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms may purchase a firearm from an out–of–State source, provided the transfer takes place through a Federal firearms licensee in his or her State of residence.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]
Ok, now I am curious and Googling. Found the below, but admittedly not a real source. Will keep looking.

From Gunbroker:

Ammunition:

Ammunition must be shipped separately from packages which contain firearms (including handguns). Special labeling is required. Some shippers treat ammunition as dangerous or hazardous materials. Guidelines vary by carrier, so please check directly with the carrier for specific details.

https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/222836508-Firearms-Shipping-Guide
Posted By: CJC73 Re: Shipping Question- - 08/23/19
USPS will not ship ammo, from their website

Prohibited Domestic Items
Air bags
Ammunition
Explosives
Gasoline

Ammo has to go by ground (FedEx or UPS) with the appropriate labeling ORM-D on the box
Found this nice rule I was unaware of...You can ship a firearm to yourself across state lines with no FFL:

"Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm."

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons
Posted By: Dinny Re: Shipping Question - 08/23/19
Originally Posted by TallPine
Found this nice rule I was unaware of...You can ship a firearm to yourself across state lines with no FFL:

"Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm."

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

I shipped all my firearms to myself right before I left Germany. Of course, I had to get prior authorization from the ATF first.

Thanks, Dinny
Well shucks, maybe it is not so easy to find a real ATF citing re: shipping ammo and firearms together. I figured it would be there in their online rules/regs but I have not found it yet. So I stand corrected about it being easily found.

But I am seeing this rule cited all over the place by the likes of GunBroker and many Online retailers. Of course that is not the law and is irrelevant to the discussion. But if that is not the law we sure have a ton of folks in the county voluntarily abiding by it. I will too unless I see it cited by the ATF that you CAN ship together.lol
Posted By: Dinny Re: Shipping Question - 08/23/19
https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/180-firearms-ammunition-classifieds/133974-how-ship-ammo.html
Posted By: garyw Re: Shipping Question - 08/24/19

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.
© 24hourcampfire