Home
Got hit with 2 $15 charges on a recent transaction on Pay Pal? Found out the seller transferred the money to him via wire transfer and my Visa charged me a Wire Transfer fee? So be wary Visa offered to waive one charge, but will not do so in the future.

Sent Pay Pal Gift, money from my Visa card the $15 fee came later?

Called my Visa card to find out what the charge was for, I was told the seller used a wire transfer to get his money and I was charged?
pay pal gift?
Some better alternatives out there. . .

www.zellepay.com

www.venmo.com
How did the seller transfer your money? You should have been the one sending the money correct?
Yep depends on how the payment is sent. There will be charges for credit cards, debit cards etc. Checking account not so much. Doesn't matter Paypal gift or not. I have not seen any charges once you have sent the money. After that it is on recipient. Paypal will charge you for sending, the recipient on the transfer from Paypal depending on how. Perhaps I'm mistaken, never have dealt with a wire transfer, other than a bank and then yes fees were charged.
Doesn't matter Paypal gift or not. I have not seen any charges once you have sent the money. After that it is on recipient. Paypal will charge you for sending, the recipient on the transfer from Paypal

I have never been charged a cent using paypal gift. I sure as hell wouldn't support an antigun entity like paypal otherwise.
Look close, depends on what account is used to send the money. If it is a credit card then yes a fee is charged to you. Paypal gift removes the fee from the recipient colleting the money. Not the charges to you for sending it.
If it is a credit card then yes a fee is charged to you. Paypal gift removes the fee from the recipient colleting the money.

My PP account is tied to my debit card; neither I or the seller get charged with pp gift; don't know anything about the rest of their mess, don't use it.
If you fund the transaction from a cc rather than your debit/bank card, you will be charged a fee.
Have sent & received 100's if not 1000's of PayPal Friends & Family (Gift). AS long as PP Balance or Checking account is used No fees to either (buyer or seller). If credit card is used a FEE IS ALWAYS charged to sender, but I have never seen recipient charged .

PayPal balance or from linked checking account is just like transferring from your checking to your saving. So no fees.

Credit card is like cash advance . So always fees.

Regular PayPal payment offers insurance on the transaction to protect both buyer and seller. Thus the FEES

At least this is how it was explained to me by PP Rep.

Also have a PP debit card, good wherever Master card accepted. I sometimes use to buy Gun or Powder or Ammo. They can't refuse it as there are no restrictions on agreement. I smile when I do. LOL

Safe shooting
Doug
Why does anyone use anti gun PayPal. Never have, and will quit this game should I have do....
Originally Posted by Fifth

www.zellepay.com

www.venmo.com

I stopped using pay pal switched to Venmo now alot better
Originally Posted by tred1956
Have sent & received 100's if not 1000's of PayPal Friends & Family (Gift). AS long as PP Balance or Checking account is used No fees to either (buyer or seller). If credit card is used a FEE IS ALWAYS charged to sender, but I have never seen recipient charged .

PayPal balance or from linked checking account is just like transferring from your checking to your saving. So no fees.

Credit card is like cash advance . So always fees.

Regular PayPal payment offers insurance on the transaction to protect both buyer and seller. Thus the FEES

At least this is how it was explained to me by PP Rep.

Also have a PP debit card, good wherever Master card accepted. I sometimes use to buy Gun or Powder or Ammo. They can't refuse it as there are no restrictions on agreement. I smile when I do. LOL

Safe shooting
Doug

This. My PP account is connected directly to my checking account, and never have I had to pay an extra fee when using Friends/Family.
Man, that sucks, PayPal is a pain in the @$$ and getting to be more so every year. So what are you selling in your ad here?
Originally Posted by ronwethington
Why does anyone use anti gun PayPal. Never have, and will quit this game should I have do....

A noble sentiment, but I for one won't cut off my nose to spite my face. If one stops and considers all of the corporate entities and businesses that are ant-gun and which are thoroughly woven into the fabric of our lives, and then avoided each of them, one would be left standing alone with virtually nothing. A sad fact of life, but there it is. We are a small minority (with, hopefully, a big voice), but a minority nonetheless.
I quit pp when they tried to force me to link my bank accounts,I already had a credit card on file. With all the hacking going on I won’t give out my banking info to anyone.
I closed my paypal account when I tried to transfer a large balance to my checking acct. PayPal would not do it unless I gave them my banking account # and passwords. Told them to pound sand, spent the balance down and closed the account, screw them.
They may be anti gun and I am of course pro gun,.... but

I’ve not had any unexplained fees or problems with using it to pay for stuff or get paid.
Posted By: g5m Re: Wire Transfer fee on Pay Pal! - 10/23/19

www.zellepay.com

www.venmo.com

Tag for this info.
I just send a money order. Haven't come across anything I can't wait a little longer for.
Indeed, but who wants to drive to the PO, wait in line to buy a MO, and drive home. Then wait two to four days for payment to get there, when you can do it in, like, 30 seconds digitally. There are some advantages to living in the 21st century. 250+ transactions on eBay, and probably another few hundred private transactions (mostly buying/selling shooting stuff) and nary a hiccup. (Except once I transcribed the seller's account # wrong and caused some ill feelings before the mistake was discovered.)

PP security is as good as anything, and if you do get hacked both PP and the bank will make good on the loss because after all it was a slipup on their part- but I've never heard of a hacking on them. (I have heard of bank accounts being hacked, with ultimately no loss to the individuals.)

Besides, as stated above, I like sticking it to their anti-gun philosophy by using their service to buy gun stuff.

Two years ago at a gun show I was purposely caught out with only a couple hundred cash on me- I was determined NOT to buy any guns, haha! Sure enough a bargain of a jewel jumped up and I was faced with driving all over hell's creation looking for an ATM (but with a daily cash withdrawal limit I may not have been golden anyway). I asked the seller if he had a PP account, to which he replied "yes". So, using my smartphone right there in the aisle in front of his table I arranged a money transfer to him. Within 30 seconds he got the notification from PP, handed me the gun, and we both turned away with smiles on our faces.
I called my Credit Card company to find out what the 2 $15 charges were for, the person I bought the item from, wire transferd the money I sent to him to his account. I was charged for his wire transfer, Cr Card company says they see it all the time. I am uncomfortable with linking a debit card or bank account to Paypal. Might just leave some money in my Paypal account.
Originally Posted by kk alaska
I called my Credit Card company to find out what the 2 $15 charges were for, the person I bought the item from, wire transferd the money I sent to him to his account. I was charged for his wire transfer, Cr Card company says they see it all the time. I am uncomfortable with linking a debit card or bank account to Paypal. Might just leave some money in my Paypal account.

I have never heard of that.

Did you pay a fee to PayPal for using your credit card?
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR

I have never heard of that.

Did you pay a fee to PayPal for using your credit card?

Makes no sense at all. Why would you pay for his wire transfer fee from paypal? And why did he wire the money instead of just transferring it to his account? You shouldn't be on the hook for his wire fees.
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Makes no sense at all. Why would you pay for his wire transfer fee from paypal? And why did he wire the money instead of just transferring it to his account? You shouldn't be on the hook for his wire fees.

Yes, exactly what I was thinking. Did he not have a PayPal account?
Regardless, agree with 257 - you shouldn’t be on the hook for his fees ...
I laugh at all the folks who state they use Paypal friends and family for 100s if not 1000s of gun related transactions. Tick tock... It's just a matter of time until big brother reigns you in.

Thanks, Dinny
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Besides, as stated above, I like sticking it to their anti-gun philosophy by using their service to buy gun stuff.

Yep, making them a partner in my scary weapon related purchase makes me feel good!
Is wire transfer even an option in PayPal?
Cash equivalent charge was charged to me because my Paypal account is linked to my Visa and seller is linked to a checking account. which triggers the charge. Credit is converted to cash on Payment even though it may sit in a Paypal account.

Isn’t PayPal anti gun? Might want to consider not using them until they they see things our way. Just saying!!!
Fugg those anti-gun bastards 😡
All you guys saying antigun? I guess none of you have any bank accounts at all? Do you actually think your bank isnt anti gun? Let me see you carry your sidearm into your bank...

Do you actually thing the postal money orders and post office isn’t anti gun? Gimme a break..

PayPal is the easiest way to send money and get paid quickly. Venmo works also but guess what they are anti gun also.

I too have used PayPal for over 10 years now buying and selling guns. Never a single problem. Not saying a problem. couldnt happen just I’ve never had one. Just be smart about it and check the seller out before you make the purchase. If you get a bad feeling then don’t buy item. You can get scammed just as easy with a money order.
Cash equivalent charge was charged to me because my Paypal account is linked to my Visa and seller is linked to a checking account. which triggers the charge. Credit is converted to cash on Payment even though it may sit in a Paypal account.

Yes, if you are taking the money from a credit card, there will always be a charge to you - no different than a cash advance. If you link it to your checking account, that charge goes away.

It’s a charge because you used a credit card. Only time a charge is issued to a seller for transferring money to his account is if he chooses the instant transaction and pays a 1% fee and that is subtracted from the amount transferred, not charged back to the buyer. When the transaction is completed, there is no way for the seller to take more money from the buyer without issuing another invoice or opening a complaint with PayPal.

PayPal put the credit card fees in place to cover the fees they pay to use cards and to try to keep people from using their credit cards for cash advances through their system.

Wire transfer is not an option on PayPal so someone at your bank telling you that’s what happened is wrong. If you want to avoid fees, fund with your checking account, it’s that simple. Go to PayPal’s fee schedule and you’ll see there is nothing listed anywhere for a wire transfer, mainly because they don’t offer that option. More than likely the CSR at your credit card company is misinformed. But, most people are inclined to trust the 22 year old googling the same thing everyone else is just because they answer the phone when you call the number on the back of the card. A little bit of homework will get you an answer pretty quickly.
That instant fee is kinda funny too. If I remember the first few times I took money from PayPal to my checking account it took several days, but now it’s the next day. Pretty quick imho
Care to say how much you sent via gift?
$30 fee equals price increase of 25%
PayPal fee should have been less than $4 then. Others have been erroneously thinking the $15 fees were from PayPal, but they're from your CC, correct?
Isn't using PP to pay for a purchase and calling it a Friends and Family transaction to avoid the PP fee theft of services?
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Isn't using PP to pay for a purchase and calling it a Friends and Family transaction to avoid the PP fee theft of services?

No. The services for which you are paying are the buyer protection services. If you use the "Friends and Family/Gift" option, those protections are not there. They earn the remainder of their money, in addition to a few other ways, by the interest they earn on the billions of dollars in "their accounts" every single day.

For guns, I have no problem using the gift function. As someone stated earlier, you can just as easily be ripped off by the same seller when you send him a check or money order. We just roll the dice on every transaction. All we can do is exercise whatever due diligence provides us as much peace of mind as we feel appropriate.
Just the facts Mam

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/What-is-PayPalâ%C2%80%C2%99s-policy-on-transactions-that-involve-firearms-FAQ585

We don’t allow PayPal members to buy or sell any kind of firearm, whether it’s in working order or not. The same goes for certain firearm parts and ammunition.

For example, using PayPal, you can’t buy or sell:

Any firearm, including rifles, shotguns, and handguns, whether they’re for sport and recreation, collectibles, or curio or relic firearms.

Firearm parts, including but not limited to receivers and frames, silencers, and kits designed to modify guns so that they fire automatically. High capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators, and camouflaging firearm containers are other items in this category.
Ammunition, including propellants like gunpowder or blank ammunition; ammunition or cartridge cases; and primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for any firearm.
Like I said. No, not theft of services. Breech of contract? Yes. Damages for said breech? Cancellation of contract.
Whitetail charges were from my credit card, Friends or Family had nothing to do with it nor was product gun-related.

Credit card charges were for the conversion of credit to cash, in the form of cash that has to be available in the Paypal account that was linked to a bank, when it is drawn out is irrelevant. CC view as same as Cash withdrawal from your credit card.

Statement on Cr Card had generic Wire Transfer fee which was explained to me over several phone calls was for the conversion of credit to cash would not have happened if my Paypal was linked to my bank which I am reluctant to do.

Think in the future will leave money in my Paypal account to pay for an item.
Originally Posted by gemby58

www.zellepay.com

www.venmo.com

VENMO is a service of PayPal. All money transmission is provided by PayPal.
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Like I said. No, not theft of services. Breech of contract? Yes. Damages for said breech? Cancellation of contract.

But it is lying, isn't it?
Edited:: never mind, I thought you need international wire transfer...
Whitetail charges were from my credit card, Friends or Family had nothing to do with it nor was product gun-related.

Credit card charges were for the conversion of credit to cash, in the form of cash that has to be available in the Paypal account that was linked to a bank, when it is drawn out is irrelevant. CC view as same as Cash withdrawal from your credit card.

Statement on Cr Card had generic Wire Transfer fee which was explained to me over several phone calls was for the conversion of credit to cash would not have happened if my Paypal was linked to my bank which I am reluctant to do.

Think in the future will leave money in my Paypal account to pay for an item.

OK, so not a PayPal issue at all. The issue is with your CC. When I use my CC for PayPal, I don't pay that fee, just the fee that PayPal charges me, which is about 3.5%, IIRC.
Posted By: tack Re: Wire Transfer fee on Pay Pal! - 10/26/19
tag
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

But it is lying, isn't it?

Yes.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by gemby58

www.zellepay.com

www.venmo.com

VENMO is a service of PayPal. All money transmission is provided by PayPal.

I just used Zelle for the first time. It was painless.
© 24hourcampfire