Home
Posted By: texas_hawg WTB Turkey Hunting items - 02/14/20
Looking to go on my first turkey hunt this spring. Need the whole kit but not looking to pay outrageous prices. So what used but in good shape items do you have? I’ve got a shotgun and bow, and other general deer/waterfowl items so covered on those.

Need calls, vest w/ seat, decoys, possibly camo I’m XL, other things I’m missing...
First get whatever calls you are going to use and practice until you feel confident. Any ordinary Camo will work. A vest and decoys are not necessary, but if you want them so be it.
Posted By: tzone Re: WTB Turkey Hunting items - 02/14/20
I'll save you some moeny...skip the vest. Carry a few calls and a cushion to sit on. You don't need 3.5" or even 3" shells to kill a turkey. You also don't "need" Hevi-shot, but it sure as hell helps.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: WTB Turkey Hunting items - 02/14/20
Get a box call, Lynch or Paul Meek, and a scratch box and you're in good shape for calls. If you get a vest get one with a comfortable seat as turkey hunting is a patient waiting game and a virtue.
Posted By: Kota Re: WTB Turkey Hunting items - 02/14/20
Skip the Decoys. Get the vest with a good seat. Aluminum pot call with a high mega hertz frequency works great for firing up mid day gobblers. Slate over glass pot call for seductive smooth talk. Learn to work a mouth call if you can stand it. They are great for closing the deal when you dont want to move and have both hands on the gun. Heavy Shot kicks birds ass... I dont use box calls, but a lot of people do. use what works for you. Listen to real turkeys and learn to put the emotion into the calls. that's more important than sounding exactly right. Cadence and emotion are what calls in educated birds. Woodsmanship and knowing how to set up is THE most important factor. Set up at the edge of a hill or cover so that the bird has to be in range when he can see where the calls are coming from. Kill him as soon as he stops and stretches his head up. If he starts clucking or putting, it;'s all over.
Posted By: WL205 Re: WTB Turkey Hunting items - 02/14/20
I probably have a call or two laying around..ill take a look this weekend.
Posted By: GTN Re: WTB Turkey Hunting items - 02/14/20
Originally Posted by Kota
Skip the Decoys. Get the vest with a good seat. Aluminum pot call with a high mega hertz frequency works great for firing up mid day gobblers. Slate over glass pot call for seductive smooth talk. Learn to work a mouth call if you can stand it. They are great for closing the deal when you dont want to move and have both hands on the gun. Heavy Shot kicks birds ass... I dont use box calls, but a lot of people do. use what works for you. Listen to real turkeys and learn to put the emotion into the calls. that's more important than sounding exactly right. Cadence and emotion are what calls in educated birds. Woodsmanship and knowing how to set up is THE most important factor. Set up at the edge of a hill or cover so that the bird has to be in range when he can see where the calls are coming from. Kill him as soon as he stops and stretches his head up. If he starts clucking or putting, it;'s all over.

Good advice here. Walmart camo will be fine, if you have some buddies that turkey hunt play around with there calls and see what you like. I wouldn't spend a ton on decoys until you get into it. I use them about 50% of the time I guess.
Appreciate all the great advice!

I’ve had a few guys reach out to me on a few items and I’ll be getting back to them this weekend. Thanks
Academy is running sale on some camo
Dude don't break the bank till you know
When you call that big tom in 20 yes drumming and strutting and gobbling then you will know you hooked
And if something happens and you don't kill him then game
On. Lol have fun and enjoy . Gray slate easiest to use or a good box and as they said a good cushion
I have a backpack/seat...Eastman Outfitters brand...let me dig it out and snap some pics...$25 TYD ???
Posted By: Cheesy Re: WTB Turkey Hunting items - 02/15/20
the number one turkey hunting thing I own was a collapsible/fold up seat I bought last year. Like one of those cheap camp chairs every store sells, but has basically no legs on it. Gets you off the ground by an inch or so, but it has a back to it do you can relax while hunting instead of straining to sit up or lean on a tree. Very comfortable.

Same principal as this one. Every manufacturer makes their version of it.

Collapsible turkey chair
Posted By: badwolf Re: WTB Turkey Hunting items - 02/15/20
I wouldn't skip the decoys, get 1 or 2 cheap inflatable decoys, weigh nothing and fit in your vest back pocket. Sometimes you don't even have to call. Ive had turkeys see them from 400 yds away and walk right in. Good seat or cushion and a tape to practice calls to.
Posted By: badwolf Re: WTB Turkey Hunting items - 02/15/20
I wouldn't skip the decoys, get 1 or 2 cheap inflatable decoys, weigh nothing and fit in your vest back pocket. Sometimes you don't even have to call. Ive had turkeys see them from 400 yds away and walk right in. Good seat or cushion and a tape to practice calls to.
Originally Posted by Prohunter3509
Academy is running sale on some camo
Dude don't break the bank till you know
When you call that big tom in 20 yes drumming and strutting and gobbling then you will know you hooked
And if something happens and you don't kill him then game
On. Lol have fun and enjoy . Gray slate easiest to use or a good box and as they said a good cushion

Saw the Academy sale and was going to run up there today. They also have the inflatable decoys Badwolf was talking about so I thought I’d check those out too. Thanks guys
Waiting to hear back from a few guys who were going to send pics of packs and calls...
Posted By: RAS Re: WTB Turkey Hunting items - 02/16/20
I wouldn’t go turkey hunting without a decoy.

My favorite and most productive box call in 25 years of turkey hunting below. Get one.

https://www.amazon.com/Lynch-Fool-Proof-Turkey-Call/dp/B0000AVZ2R
Posted By: Hubert Re: WTB Turkey Hunting items - 02/16/20
Advice=== don't over call. once he answers you he is coming in stop calling.. he knows exactly where you are.. sit so you can see up hill as he will circle you and come in from the highest location near you... a young jake sometimes will come to you from any direction and in pairs have fun..

PS shoot him in the head with #6 shot..
Because we lost all posts from today...

WL205 hooked me up with a slate call. Still looking for a vest and maybe some cheap camo if you all have it. Or other calls too. Text pics and prices to 214-232-2597 or send it via pm.
© 24hourcampfire