Home
Posted By: arky65 Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
Any tips or caveats selling on Gunbroker.
I have never sold anything on Gunbroker, so any help is greatly appreciated.
My, dad has decided to sell 90% of his firearms, so I was thinking of selling them here and/ or Gunbroker. Most or just run of the mill he picked up through the years. He has a few really nice new in the box Colt and Ruger handguns.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: hrnhuntr Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
Take good detailed pictures
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
Here is a real good choice.
It's free and fast. Price your item fairly, have quality photos available, and follow all the laws.
On Gunbroker, I would start with selling 8-10 inexpensive items since you have -0- feedback. build up your reputation some with extras like extra magazines, books, scopes, slings, holsters, inexpensive items etc........Whatever you decide, Good luck to you!
Posted By: cjkostic Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
I generally like to post here first. If no interest, then go to gunbroker.com. As long as items are fairly priced and you are patient, 80-90% of items sell here. Good pictures are critical.
Posted By: Awsomepossum Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
Get yourself a great background cloth and take pictures alots of them. Get lots of light during a overcast day for no Pay the extra three dollars to list it with the the option that makes it show up first ahead of other searches. I would put the starting bid what you think you could get out of it and wait. You never know when your going to get two people fight over it. Feel free to pm/call if you need any other help.
Posted By: Fwrogg Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
Around me we have a number of auction houses and things always go way high and is easy to do as you just drop off your guns and they do the selling and processing.

Good luck with whatever method you choose.

Frank
Posted By: GrahamVT Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
I use gunbroker as a last resort, or for very high priced items. Although they do take their cut.
Posted By: CreekChub Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
Depending on the volume of firearms, I’d consider an auction house like: Cowan’s, GunRunner, or even Amoskeag.

These outfits do an admirable job, especially with higher end sporting arms.
Posted By: Jackie_Treehorn Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by GrahamVT
I use gunbroker as a last resort, or for very high priced items. Although they do take their cut.
Gunbroker will hack you for 6% of the first $250 of your final sale price and 3.5% of any amount greater than $250 as well as a fee of 2% of the reserve price should you opt for a reserve-style auction. If you sold something under a reserve auction for $800 and the reserve was $750, your final tally would be $49.25 in fees.
Posted By: JerradPelzer Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
I’d just try and sell them on here. I’ve bought and sold a lot on here. There’s lots of good guys. It’s not a huge deal to ship them. USPS seems to be the cheapest. Be prepared for all sorts of questions. You can tell really quick if someone is actually interested or not and move on. I’d list some rifle/shotguns first and see how it goes.
Posted By: Jackie_Treehorn Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by JerradPelzer
Be prepared for all sorts of questions. You can tell really quick if someone is actually interested or not and move on.
"What is the serial number? Oh, it's 12345? I wanted 123456 or higher."

"How much does it weigh? Oh, I wanted one that's 7 lbs. 6 oz., 7 lbs. 9 oz. is too heavy."

"Can I get pictures of the box?"

"What's the twist rate?"

"Would you take $X? I know where I can buy one for $X+ $1."

"Has this had the recall work done? Oh, I wanted one with/without the recall work done."

"Do you have an FFL? My dealer will only receive from an FFL holder."
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
The Campfire crowd appreciates an opportunity to purchase - but, most are looking for bargains, so be prepared for it.

What's the terminal objective of the sell-down? No need to answer in public - you just need to define to yourself (or Dad) what you want to achieve with the sale - before going forward with it.

Just passing on the firearm? Listing here is good, and quality "users" will sell - sooner or later.

Money in the bank for emergencies? May want to look at Gunbroker - more traffic on the auction, no need to bump every few hours, and can be found by search - paying the extras in the listing will bump it.

Financing a move, life changing events, or unforeseen bills - need to make a certain level of cash, or the firearm is truly a collectible? Gunbroker at least, or the auction house if you have a good one close by.

The actual sale mechanism will be the same - an FFL is needed in most cases, and you are covered on the transfer of ownership by using one.

The hardest thing on here will be dealing with the questions - the rounds count, the weight, the groups, the "fill-in-the-blank" who-zey-whattisit questions - I'm guilty of it as well.

Figure out what the dividing mark will be for who gets it - PM or public ITT, any "pending pictures" limits, etc.
Posted By: gahuntertom Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
Last year I sold about 50 guns from my collection, I started off selling to friends, then moved up to a local web sight, then moved to here. With my friend, Nick, we sold about 25 rifles here. I did the pricing/descriptions & Nick did the picture taking as well as shipping. We priced every thing fairly & only failed to sell 2 rifles. It cost about $100.00 to package, ship & insure a rifle, we didn't sell anything under $750.00 here. WE used 415.00 Walmart cases & had the UPS store make boxes. Everything was shipped USPS. Net Net Nick & I had fun selling here.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
550 views in 3 hours just about possibly having a gun to sell. I'd give it a go here first!
Posted By: glosto Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
Gunbroker does fees but if you have desirable firearms you might try a few on their. Do the penny auction with no reserve and when bidding stops you will know what you gun was worth.
This...

Originally Posted by cjkostic
I generally like to post here first. If no interest, then go to gunbroker.com. As long as items are fairly priced and you are patient, 80-90% of items sell here. Good pictures are critical.

I've sold some here and a few on gunbroker. If they don't sell here you can always try gunbroker, before your first feedback you will have a NR rating and a warning '" that if you see this item on another website it may be a scam", so it makes the first few hard to sell. Rimfires I may try here or at rimfirecentral's classifieds. On gunbroker, I generally list it for the minimum I want out of the gun, you can always change the listing price if you do not get any bids... But I never use the "Reserve" feature, because I never bid on them or even look at them, anymore as they are a waste of time (usually).

Yes, no fees here (or other forums), gunbroker has as noted above fees, an auction house is generally much higher than gunbroker. And I never sell (except for consignment) at any of the local gunshops as they will offer you a pittance, at least in my area. Gunbrokers listing fees are only a few bucks, and you can easily set it up to automatically re-list until sold (you are not charged for the re-list when you use this), you are only charged the fees noted above if the guns sells.

Good pictures will help a lot. Crappy pictures will make the gun harder to sell or it will sell for less than it is worth. Conversely, try to picture all of the blems or describe them.

$100 a rifle for shipping is way high. Actual shipping (I'm on the west coast) will run up to $55 maybe $60 max. insured (weight and distance dependent of course). Boxes can be had for free at local gunshops, start getting them now, don't wait for your first gun to sell to start looking for boxes. Pack it well, insurance claims are a bother and may not be honored if it was not packed worth a damn. I like to use bubble wrap and extra cardboard at the muzzle and butt. Handguns can only be shipped through the postal service by an FFL, NOT an individual. Handguns can be shipped by an individual at the private carriers, for to much, it costs me the same to have a dealer ship a handgun priority mail as it does for me to take it to a private carrier (UPS or Fedex), it all depends on what your FFL dealer charges.

Know your product... some firearms that may not seem all that nice or a famous name brand may be highly desired by collectors or shooters. Trying to think of examples... Remington Nylon 66's, 'some' Savage 99's, oddball rimfires, etc.

Jerry
Posted By: arky65 Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
Thanks, for the input guys, I'm not looking forward to this for many varied reasons.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
Arky65: I would not even consider posting on or buying from "gunbreaker"!
I have had wonderful luck over the last 17 years buying and selling here in the free classified section though.
Most "gunshows" have been put on hold for the near future anyway and I would use them secondly once they do re-open.
Best of luck in your sales and I hope the "chore" doesn't hurt or harm to much.
I'd also buy any and all items you can afford or like!
A few family guns have "evaded" me (including some I bought as gifts for family members and they slipped away!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: clwg97 Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
Pm sent
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
Here is a real good choice.
It's free and fast. Price your item fairly, have quality photos available, and follow all the laws.
On Gunbroker, I would start with selling 8-10 inexpensive items since you have -0- feedback. build up your reputation some with extras like extra magazines, books, scopes, slings, holsters, inexpensive items etc........Whatever you decide, Good luck to you!

Good advice...
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
I have sold and bought several here and on Gunbroker. Lots of fees there. Most I have shipped have cost me about $75 to $100 as I ship via my FFL and they have a fee as well. Not all FFL's will accept a firearm from an individual (yes it is legal to do so) I always ship in a hard case unless I have the original box. You will get tire kickers and questions. Good descriptions and pictures make or break a deal. Be prepared to send high resolution pictures via email and or text. I'll get the AK guys mad but it costs more to ship to AK or HI. I would suggest selling a few here and see how it goes. This is not however generally the place to sell a high priced item. A gun priced fair will sell. Saying all that, prices are down right now, at least in my area.
Posted By: texken Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/29/20
auction house's take way to much % for selling
Posted By: 99guy Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/30/20
Originally Posted by texken
auction house's take way to much % for selling

Most of the good ones 20% unless you have a big collection of high $ guns you can make a deal and get that down a little.

GB the best place to sell a firearm. Everybody in the world can see it and all it takes is 2 people that want it and you can sell guns for stupid prices sometime.

Campfire is a good place to buy guns but not the best place to sell them
Posted By: texasaggie09 Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/30/20
Sent you a PM.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/30/20
How about putting a list up for all us indigents to see????
LOL!!!
Posted By: arky65 Re: Dad's collection ? - 04/30/20
Guy's, thanks again for all your help and input. Dad never owned a safe so his firearms are squirreled away who knows where in his house.

Will most likely get short list together second week of May.

I am busy this time of year with gardens, and orchard.

Thanks to all you

@ssholes aside this is great site with some great folks.
Posted By: arky65 Re: Dad's collection ? - 05/05/20
Guy's. again thank, you for your input.

This is a fluid situation with my dad, he has on set of dementia and some days are better than others. Since, the original post we have been on a roller coaster of issues and emotions. At this time we have much bigger things to deal with than the sale of a firearms collection and our foucus now is on his and our mental well being.

Thank you

Mike
Posted By: 5960 Re: Dad's collection ? - 05/05/20
Prayers sent for your family
Posted By: SKane Re: Dad's collection ? - 05/05/20
Originally Posted by arky65
At this time we have much bigger things to deal with than the sale of a firearms collection and our focus now is on his and our mental well being.
Thank you
Mike

That's a tough row to hoe. Good luck to you and your family.
Posted By: markopolo50 Re: Dad's collection ? - 05/05/20
Don't worry about the guns right now. Get all the time you can with your Dad while he still knows you. My mother had that too and didn't know us kids for the last 6 months. It was terrible to visit her in the nursing home. Something I would wish on no one. Take care
Posted By: Brazos Re: Dad's collection ? - 05/05/20
Best wishes, Mike.

As others have said, enjoy any quality time you might have left, and make sure to take a break whenever possible.

Regards.
© 24hourcampfire