Home
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Backbore a Superposed? - 08/02/20
I bragged on here several months ago about grabbing a Superposed that had belonged to the father of a schoolmate, a good guy who is missed. He was long of everything, so it took me a while to get around to cutting the butt to fit an ordinary human.

Got that done, patterned it and it's perfect for what I wanted it for, trap. Don't need to bury the bird, the chokes are nice and tight.

Action looks great after a soak in the solvent tank, but the rear part of the lower barrel has some pitty gritty. Any objections to maybe having both tubes backbored the modern way? I like the chokes as they are.
What are you expecting out of Backboring? Personally I think it is just throwing money away. But your gun and your expectations. I doubt whatever your expectations are you will see it in reality. The only thing you might get out of it in my opinion is a little lighter barrel.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/02/20
I tend to agree with MCH here in terms of back boring the entire barrel. From your comments, it seems to me you are trying to repair and stop pitting in the barrel. The latter should be done, removing as little steel as possible as otherwise the pitting will get worse over time.

Were it mine, I’d send it to Art’s Gunshop to have this done, and a thorough inspection for any other damage or corrosion.

https://artsgunshop.com/
Posted By: bobski Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/02/20
backboring. the cost doesn't justify the gain.
Posted By: EdM Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/02/20
Originally Posted by GF1
I tend to agree with MCH here in terms of back boring the entire barrel. From your comments, it seems to me you are trying to repair and stop pitting in the barrel. The latter should be done, removing as little steel as possible as otherwise the pitting will get worse over time.

Were it mine, I’d send it to Art’s Gunshop to have this done, and a thorough inspection for any other damage or corrosion.

https://artsgunshop.com/

What is "this"?
Posted By: battue Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/02/20
Backbored barrels have recently became popular again. However, Stan Baker was doing the same in the 70’s. If you decide to do so, go big.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/02/20
“This” is what I was talking about in the first paragraph - a repair to remove the pitting inside the barrel.
Posted By: passport Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/03/20
Don’t mess with the barrels on that gun! How much did you cut it? These guns were really well done and best to leave them as issues unless they are unsafe.
Posted By: windridge Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/03/20
Originally Posted by passport
Don’t mess with the barrels on that gun! How much did you cut it? These guns were really well done and best to leave them as issues unless they are unsafe.

Exactly correct.

Superposeds had a unique barrel in that the taper to the choke started at the end of the chamber and was gradual to the muzzle. Don't screw with it.
Okay, I guess I'll just keep it clean like I ordinarily try to do and leave it wet (not too wet, mind you).

I was under the impression that backboring as currently done slightly reduces felt recoil and improves patterning, by introducing a more-gradual taper to the bore in the back of the barrel than in "ordinary" shotgun barrels. But if it's already a long cone to the start of the choking, that's about as gradual as can be. The frosting and pitting isn't bad, I can see it but not feel it while brushing or patching. About what your punishment would be if you got your shottie rained on and went drinking before cleaning.
Posted By: bobski Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/03/20
if youre worrying about recoil, you got the wrong gun.
just shoot low recoil loads. youll be aok.
Posted By: battue Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/04/20
This is the only place I have heard a shotgun being called a Shotie...Of course it is also the only place I've heard a Winchester called a Wiinnie....Then there is Leupie.....Very odd....
Posted By: kingston Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/04/20
Battue is my hommie!
As long as you don’t call your Parker a Parkie..👍
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/04/20
That mean we can't call our L C Smith's (elsie) ?
Posted By: kingston Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/04/20
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
That mean we can't call our L C Smith's (elsie) ?

Elsie's a hottie.
Elsie is one of only three guns that I can recall off hand that I use a knickname for. The others are actually variations of the same basic gun - Emily and Smelly. Everything else uses the full (e.g. Remington) or partial (1100). The others send shivers down my spine.
Try this: “He went to Deerie camp, but first shot some small game for the pot. Not sure which shotie he used, but the Grousie and Sauirrelie were appreciated.”

In places that would be good for some serious abuse. One would be better off to pass gas in church. Which is perfectly fine if doing heavy squats in a crowded gym.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/04/20
Elsie may be a hottie, but wait ‘till you get a dose of Foxy.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/05/20
All ready had a dose of Foxy and if she hadn't been shot hard ,used poorly, and put away wet too often she'd still be around. As was I made the best use of her selling her. MB
Laffin'...
I picked up "Shottie" here but won't stoop to the others, not that Loopy.

In good news, I patterned the upper barrel the other night (had to go buy some more roll paper) and it's "Super-im-posed" right over the pattern for the lower barrel, slightly smaller. The effective area at 40 with the lower looks like about 32 inches and the upper is 28 or so. Didn't do a pellet count, although it looks nice and even, I just wanted a visual impression of the pattern location, which is at least a 60-40 if not higher.

So I'm really excited to go do some trap with it, hopefully soon. The late owner of the gun was a top rank local trap guy, and he shot that thing for years. He wouldn't have done so unless he really liked it.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/08/20
Dave ,I've had 4 different supers and they all 1 one thing in common which was their age. They were long tang guns with .725" bore diameters. I found that they threw outstanding patterns. Try it yourself but I used 7/8 oz of 9's for 16 yd targets and 1st shot on doubles with the lower barrel (improved modified) and 1 oz loads of hard 8's in the top barrel (full choke) for hdcp and 2nd shot doubles tighter patterns than 1 1/8 oz loads would give. I don't remember the constriction in the imp mod barrel but the fulls were down at. . 686" .039" constriction. My guns were made before the advent and wide spread use of 1 piece plastic wads. Browning was real slow to change to more open constrictions. Try them I think you will be pleasantly surprised. MB
Mag Bob
I can't remember the exact numbers on the existing choking, but it's certainly tight. Like .673 on the upper, but that's just with a dial caliper, it was around 690 for the lower. But the patterns are round, even and well-centered over the beads, so I'm hoping I can swing as small as the patterns. We'll see. I'm a long time rifle and pistol junkie, but this is the first shotgun I've ever owned -- because it had some "sentimental" value and the price was lovely, too. The more clays and trap I shoot, the more I like it, so who knows?
Posted By: bobski Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/11/20
people tend to psyc themselves out with all these numbers and restrictions and data.
shotgunning was suppose to be simple. point, shoot, break it.
when you get into counting lead pellets, weighing powder, comparing this that and the other thing....you lose a part of the sport that was intended to be fun.
the benchmark was and still is this simple....
ic mod full. forget the fine tuning in between.

ic-skeet for skeet.
full for trap.
mod for hunting
ic-mod for close up back yard clay.
there is a certain level of trust and respect due the engineers who designed these guns, ammo, and chokes over the generations.
the basics have never failed me. try the KISS theory and go have fun.

Posted By: battue Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/11/20
Originally Posted by bobski
people tend to psyc themselves out with all these numbers and restrictions and data.
shotgunning was suppose to be simple. point, shoot, break it.
when you get into counting lead pellets, weighing powder, comparing this that and the other thing....you lose a part of the sport that was intended to be fun.
the benchmark was and still is this simple....
ic mod full. forget the fine tuning in between.

ic-skeet for skeet.
full for trap.
mod for hunting
ic-mod for close up back yard clay.
there is a certain level of trust and respect due the engineers who designed these guns, ammo, and chokes over the generations.
the basics have never failed me. try the KISS theory and go have fun.

Theory carries one not all that far.....You didn't arrive at were you did on theory.....Point, shoot, break is an acquired skill, not a simple one...All depends on ones commitment to the skill...

However, agree on the fact that many try to gain skill counting pellets, powder, etc....
Posted By: bobski Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/11/20
i miss the days of simplicity.
like....grab the gun and a box of shells and go shoot.
miss? maybe. fun? sure.
go home and remember not to make the same mistakes twice and do it again another day.
at least i didn't have anything riding on my misses.
its when people put money on the line and must deal with all those that DO do the science to win.
like minds like results.
its why i stopped competing. it got too cut throat.
i forgot the fun and became absorbed in data and spread sheets...all in an effort to outdo someone elses data and spread sheets.
for what?
5 seconds of fame and picture on a magazine, that ends up in the attic.
fun shooting is for me now.
if i aint smiling, i aint doin' it right.
hope the OP sees it and has a good time.
Don't worry, I don't get too excited about guns that shoot PATTERNS instead of groups. I am too old to get excellent, just as long as I keep improving (and I need a lot of that) I'll enjoy it.
Posted By: bobski Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/12/20
what state you in?
Treasure state. Lefties know it as Big Sky Country.
Posted By: 10at6 Re: Backbore a Superposed? - 08/15/20
Leave it as is
© 24hourcampfire