Home
Posted By: dakotakidd Benelli Montefeltro? - 01/09/22
Looking into a 26" 12 gauge.

Local shop has some in stock. Checks a lot of boxes for me. Wood, light weight, 26" barrel. It'll be a upland bird gun.

Little cheaper than most semi autos it seems.

What's the good and bad?

Posted By: DV_Ramrod Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/09/22
I have a camo version that was offered by Dunn’s during a waterfowl special they had a few years ago. I have zero complaints and has functioned 100% from light loads to heavy.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/09/22
Love my 20. Fast-handling, fits me well, light, svelte, shoots 3 in (good for steel).
Posted By: MT_DD_FAN Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/09/22
Originally Posted by dakotakidd
Looking into a 26" 12 gauge.
Local shop has some in stock. Checks a lot of boxes for me. Wood, light weight, 26" barrel. It'll be a upland bird gun.
Little cheaper than most semi autos it seems.
What's the good and bad?

The biggest problem for me with my Montefeltro was the reach to the trigger while trying to maintain a normal grip. I have small hands with relatively short fingers and I couldn't position my trigger finger properly on the trigger without having to radically shift my grip. It just didn't work while trying to mount and swing a shotgun properly. Since it's a local shop, you should be able to 'test fit' the shotgun to check out the grip. If the grip is OK, then I bet you'll like the shotgun. I had no complaints about how my Montefeltro performed other than the grip but it was a deal breaker and I sold the Benelli.
Posted By: dakotakidd Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/09/22
It would be my first benelli, what's the big difference between a m2, sbe and a monte? All the same inertia system, right? Just comfort tech vs not and 3 1/2"options?
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/09/22
I've shot several Montefeltros but they are too light and not balanced to my preference. The owners all love their guns and are extremely happy with them. I cannot say anything bad to its objective qualities, it is just that it does not fit my subjective desires.

As for the differences in models, other than the SBE being chambered for 3.5" shells I couldn't tell you. Benellis have not appealed to me for some reason so I have not familiarized myself with them.
And that's something I'll need to decide when I handle them. Hard to buy a shotgun that doesn't fit well...
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/09/22
Another difference in the Monte vs M2 and SBE is the Monte has a flat rib and the M2 and SBE both have raised ribs which I like 👍.....Good luck...Hb
Posted By: GF1 Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/09/22
I have that gun exactly. I thought I wanted a 28” barrel, but in handling the gun found the dynamics better for me with the 26”, especially given the relatively long receiver of these and most other Benellis.

The only thing I had done was some trigger work to lighten the pull weight, and polished the mechanism a little. I find I shoot it quite well and it has never malfunctioned, even with my 7/8 oz handloads. I happen to like the flat rib.

I also have a 12 ga. Ultralight, also 26” barrel. I like it very much as well, shoot it as well as the Monte despite its lighter weight. Thought I would give them both a run and sell the one I like less. I kept both, if that tells you anything. And I’m pretty picky about my shotguns.
Posted By: JackVliet Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/09/22
I used to have a matching set in 12 and 20ga of the super 90 monte. The older version, but I loved them, especially the 20ga as everything thing on it was a little more petite than the 12.

I'd buy a 20ga ultra lite in a heartbeat.
Posted By: pullit Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/09/22
I've had several and have one now. All of mine have been 20 ga, not 12. The only thing I found not to like was the dreaded Benelli Click.
I did not find out about how to fix it until after I sold my last one. I have not changed the spring out in the one I have now, but will before I hunt with it
Posted By: EFHutton Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/09/22
Originally Posted by DV_Ramrod
I have a camo version that was offered by Dunn’s during a waterfowl special they had a few years ago. I have zero complaints and has functioned 100% from light loads to heavy.

Local shop here had 2 of these new a couple years back , I regret not buying one , I like the flat ribs better .
Originally Posted by pullit
I've had several and have one now. All of mine have been 20 ga, not 12. The only thing I found not to like was the dreaded Benelli Click.
I did not find out about how to fix it until after I sold my last one. I have not changed the spring out in the one I have now, but will before I hunt with it

I know of this happening to others, but have never had it happen to me.

Mostly all good. You can knock another 1/4 lb off by going to the Ultralight. Gas guns are ok for the clay sports, but IMO, I will never be carrying one on a mile after mile for grouse or pheasant. But, also for the same reason (inertia system) they are simple and easy to break down and clean for even a monkey with mittens. If you are going to use these “big” 12’s with 1 3/8 oz shot at 1450 or so though, you’ll will soon grow tired of shooting — they’ll pound you pretty well.. I can’t see their application in the uplands anyway.

There was a period, may just a run or two maybe, where Ben’s recoil pads would literally crumble away — like even on one or two days hunts. I’ve had two of those guns which Ben quietly acknowledged by sending new pads. One new one began crumbling immediately but haven’t heard anyone complaining of that lately. I have to think they’ve fixed that.

I’ve tried many Ben models and have had only that one complaint.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/09/22
Originally Posted by GF1

I have been hunting a pair of M1S90 H&K guns for 30-ish years and never had a single issue of any sort with them.
What is this dreaded benelli click? I've came across it a few times....

I'm sure I could google it and find out myself, but I value your guys' knowledge.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/09/22
Originally Posted by RickBin
Love my 20. Fast-handling, fits me well, light, svelte, shoots 3 in (good for steel).

^^^This^^^

Love my 20 ga.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/09/22
Originally Posted by dakotakidd
What is this dreaded benelli click? I've came across it a few times....

I'm sure I could google it and find out myself, but I value your guys' knowledge.

If the bolt isn't all of the way forward you get a fail to fire.

They are easily bumped back about a 1/4" and the bolt isn't quite all the way forward and locked in.
Got ya. Does a increased power recoil spring fix that or is it an issue you have to live with?
"Have to live with..." That's good humor right there!
My sense of it is that it occurs when the butt of the gun is banged on the ground, rock or something. I generally make a point of not doing that, especially with a shell up the spout.
You're saying the gun gets bumped hard enough so the rotating bolt head comes out of battery?
Yes
you don't have to hit the butt stock on anything to have the click happen.
I was pheasant hunting, just walked about 3 big pushes, had a bird fly up in my face, threw the gun up and nothing. Happened 2 on that 3 day hunt, I was ready to wrap it around a tree. I never turkey hunted with mine but several turkey hunters report this.
Supposed to be an easy fix, just swapping the recoi spring is supposed to fix it.
99.9% operator error.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
99.9% operator error.

Yes. The idea that it just magically happens without operator error is ridiculous.
Originally Posted by GF1
My sense of it is that it occurs when the butt of the gun is banged on the ground, rock or something. I generally make a point of not doing that, especially with a shell up the spout.

Or somebody sitting around messing with the bolt.

No harder to make sure it is shut than it is making sure your gun is on safety.
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
99.9% operator error.

Yes. The idea that it just magically happens without operator error is ridiculous.

This “issue” just always seems to pop up. In five models across thirty years, I’ve never heard mine not go bang when they were supposed to.
I didn't have the issue with the first 2 I had, only the third one.
I must not know how to walk with a gun if it was operator error.

The rotating bolt head “slips” into place if slowly eased forward. I have a practice when hunting and loading the chamber of making sure the bolt is engaged, almost like a “pusher” on an AR-15. I never have conceived of this as a problem.
I didn't have the issue with the first 2 I had, only the third one.
I must not know how to walk with a gun if it was operator error.

Probably snagged it on a vine or something, pulled it back a fuzz and never noticed.

Have you owned the 3rd one since new?

Another thing is to never store with the action open, that just keeps the spring compressed and weakens it. Goes for all autos.
Posted By: pullit Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/10/22
bought the first 2 used the 3rd one new and my current one very lightly used
Posted By: dakotakidd Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/10/22
Got a chance to handle a monte today. Fit well and pulled up nice. The reach from grip to trigger feels longer than what I'm used to, but it puts the pad of my finger right on the trigger.

I wasn't blown away by fit and finish, mostly the recoil pad. The comb of the stock sat very proud compared to the top of the pad. Not a good look.

I did a little research and found conflicting answers on how the pad attatches to the wood stock, is it screws or does it pop or slide in somehow?? Could the pad just be slid up farther to fit better?

I'll probably pick one up either way, just a little bothered by the pad...I know its a $999 gun and not a 4K gun but still....my old 870 express had a nicer fitting pad...
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/10/22

Never shot any steel in mine. Works great for dove and quail. 20 gauge with 26inch barrel. Hasbeen
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/10/22
Absolutely love my monte 12 gauge. Shoulders and handles like a dream amd runs anything you run through it. Wonderful shotgun
Posted By: GF1 Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/12/22
Yep, I’m looking for a reason to get rid of either the Monte or the Ultralite, both 12s, both 26” barrels. I like them both. And I have never experienced the dreaded “click” either, and that goes back to an early ‘90s H&K Monte 20 gauge.
Posted By: CootControl Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/12/22
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^

Love my 20 ga.

Same here. Go to 20 for upland and small game. It gets use now and then over decoys for waterfowl. Gotta get the guys I hunt with going who think 3.5" is necessary for 25 yard shots.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/16/22
Originally Posted by CootControl
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^

Love my 20 ga.

Same here. Go to 20 for upland and small game.

Same here.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/16/22
I bought a LH Benelli Monte for Pheasant set it up for me, fits me well, LW and no issues.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: rj3081 Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/16/22
Like others have said, I had one and loved it. No issues. A buddy of mine wanted it more than me and traded his Beretta Pintail for it. Another fine shotgun
Posted By: pullit Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/16/22
I had a Pintail and liked it a lot, wish I had never sold it
Posted By: rj3081 Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 01/17/22
Still got mine 20yr. veteran of the duck marsh. Duck guns live a hard life, but this one is still going strong. Great under rated shotguns
Posted By: dakotakidd Re: Benelli Montefeltro? - 02/05/22
Got my new monte out for a pheasant hunt. I really enjoy it, carries well and I can hit stuff with it.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: LFC Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 02/05/22
Originally Posted by GF1

Nothing to do with a spring.

It happens because people don't know how to operate them.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 02/08/22
While not the 12 gauge, I own a 20 gauge Montefeltro and used it heavily since 2002. There are occasions when the bolt can come out of battery and it is not, quote LFC: "because people don't know how to operate them".

When mearns hunting in some of the rougher heavy cover I will often open the action and let it snap back into full battery. It can be bumped by brush which moves the bolt is out of battery ever so slightly. When this happens pulling the trigger allows the next round to come out of the magazine. If it happens a quick cycle of the bolt will eject the unfired round from the chamber and the next round will be cycled into the chamber. I have managed to shoot flushing birds doing this but not every time.

Other than this minor issue this shotgun is tough and has endured many very rough mearns hunts including some spectacular falls. FYI a true mearns hunter becomes one when he has shot a bird while falling. <grin>
mearns country /Santa Rita Mts:
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

My friend has the Ethos. It seems to be machined differently and will usually go into battery just by letting go of the bolt handle even if it is barely out of battery, something the Montefelto doesn't do.
Posted By: battue Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 02/08/22
Two thoughts,,, if nothing more than a brush bump will unlock the bolt, then occasionally I would be giving the bolt handle a push forward to ensure it was still locked.
Posted By: TraderVic Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 02/08/22
Originally Posted by battue
Two thoughts,,, if nothing more than a brush bump will unlock the bolt, then occasionally I would be giving the bolt handle a push forward to ensure it was still locked.

My first thought as well.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 02/08/22
My particular shotgun won't allow a push forward that tiny bit. The rotary bolt won't cooperate. It requires either pulling it rearwards which rotates the bolt head a bit then quickly closing it or pulling bolt rearwards quite a ways and allowing the spring to slam it closed. I have lubed and cleaned the area of bolt and receiver and nothing makes any difference.
Posted By: battue Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 02/08/22
Makes sense...
Posted By: pullit Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 02/08/22
The ones that I had trouble with, I feel was a weak spring. You could hold the gun in your hand vertically and if you snatched the gun up and back down one time the bolt would come out of battery. Jumping a ditch in the field, and those type things would produce the "click". At the time I did not know what was going on or how to fix it but all you have to do is Google Benelli bolt click and it comes up.
Yes I know it can be because you try and ride the bolt down in order to close it and this too will cause it, but that is not what was happening in my case.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 02/16/22
No dog in the Benelli fight, but the guy shooting next to me yesterday had major “click” problems with his 20, even when releasing the bolt with the button and letting it slam forward. Actually, it started happening on the second shot, then wouldn’t fire the first. Between rounds he ran a snake through it a few times and it began working perfectly again. Maybe the chambers get gunked up, affecting bolt closing? Don’t know the guy well, so can’t comment on his maintenance.

I like these, might’ve bought one if I hadn’t run across a nice old Browning Gold Hunter first.
Posted By: pullit Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 02/16/22
You don't see the Gold Hunter in 20 ga very much. I had a buddy that had one and he sold it to another friend of mine and he still has it. They are great guns and very soft shooting
I found mine in the floor rack of an LGS. Pretty much perfect, and clean inside, so very few rounds through it I suspect. I did a quick web check on value, and it was priced $200 or more under what I saw, so I snagged it.

Actually, I was hooked when I saw the “Made in Belgium Assembled in Portugal” on it. There was a nice Benelli 12 almost next to it, that caught my eye as well, but old guys like old stuff, and this one likes old Brownings, if 1995 counts as old.
Not trying to find out what you paid, but that did your web search turn up on value? Seems like my buddy paid $600 but I could be wrong on that
Web said close to a grand. I paid $750.

I’m only cagey about what I spend when reporting to the War Department.😱
Got ya, man they have gone up, I did not realize they were that high
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 02/17/22
Well worth it so far. Like you said, soft-shooting, runs clean, have had a total of one FTE so far in maybe 300-400 rounds (just a guess). Put 75 through it yesterday without a bobble. Speed feeds just like my A5.
Posted By: Hogeye Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 02/17/22
I have heard that the Benelli Ethos has fixed the click problem. I don't have one, so don't hold me to it.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 02/24/22
Yep Ethos doesn't have the issue. I posted that earlier on page 5.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Benelli Momtefeltro? - 02/24/22
Originally Posted by Hogeye
I have heard that the Benelli Ethos has fixed the click problem. I don't have one, so don't hold me to it.

Fixed a problem that does not exist? You know like others have implied on this thread.
© 24hourcampfire