Home
Has anyone used a Boyd's thumb hole stock on a shotgun? If so, what do you think of Them? It will be on a pump if that matters.
Cannot imagine a worse choice... thumbholes are anything but quick handling.
For what purpose? For general wingshooting I think it would be terrible. No accomplished clays shooters I'm aware of use a thumbhole stock. I know some turkey hunters like thumbhole stocks but they're really using a shotgun more like a rifle. I really dislike the thumbhole stocks.

I'm really a rifle guy, shooting skeet and walking around wing shooting isn't something I'm interested in. Rabbit hunting with dogs was my thing but that's over with, and Duck hunting has lost it's luster. So if I grab a shotgun it's going to be turkey hunting or maybe getting a slug barrel.
Some shooters like the thumbhole for turkeys, predators and/or tactical uses. I find them heavy, bulky and cumbersome. I've used a shotgun for those activities for a long time and strongly prefer a standard stock style without any thumbhole or pistol type grip.
Thanks guys, I have been watching these things on ebay and could probably swap stocks and put some money in my pocket. That's the reason why I'm asking.
Originally Posted by DryPowder
on ebay and could probably swap stocks and put some money in my pocket. .

That right there may tell you something....
I love pistol grip stocks on turkey guns.

I put a surshot on my brother in laws 870 last year because his arthritis really interferes with him handling a normal stocksbd he shoots really well with it
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I put a surshot on my brother in laws 870 last year because his arthritis really interferes with him handling a normal stocksbd he shoots really well with it

Thanks for the reply. I basically use a shotgun like a rifle so that's what got me thinking about the change.

My next rifle is going to be a used Remington 760 pump. What do you think of the pistol grip on that?
I wouldn't be against trying it.
Originally Posted by DryPowder
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Thanks for the reply. I basically use a shotgun like a rifle so that's what got me thinking about the change.

My next rifle is going to be a used Remington 760 pump. What do you think of the pistol grip on that?

It is interchangeable with a 20 gauge 870 stock... not bad for factory.
© 24hourcampfire