Home
Posted By: deflave Sporting Clays? - 10/13/18
There's a place about 15 minutes from here that has Sporting Clay runs for $38 per 100 clays.

I've always thought shooting fake birds was stupid, but since I don't have any real birds, I may give it a try.

Anything I need to know going in? Does everybody shoot low brass 7 1/2 type stuff? What's a good score?
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/13/18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45erUiBDm2U
Posted By: ZKight89 Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/13/18
Any cheap low brass loads will do, I shoot whatever 100 round value pack is cheapest at Wally World . As far as score I can't tell you much, the boys and I just shoot for fun and to get out of momma's hair.
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/13/18
I like to use smaller gauges or 1 oz loads around 1200 fps in that I found lighter recoil helps my score. I usually use a light Modified choke. Did league shoots with friends for a few years. It was a lot of fun. Have had friends catch the bug and shoot 20,000 rounds of ammo per year which gets expensive.
Posted By: deflave Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/13/18
Originally Posted by ZKight89
Any cheap low brass loads will do, I shoot whatever 100 round value pack is cheapest at Wally World . As far as score I can't tell you much, the boys and I just shoot for fun and to get out of momma's hair.

10-4
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/13/18
Good score I would say is greater than 75 or so. I would consider anything in the 90s a great score.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/13/18
Try not to laugh at the dudes pulling carts full of fancy over and unders and changing chokes at every station. I like improved cylinder and have used skeet chokes enough not to feel under choked around here. Have fun it can be habit forming.
Posted By: ZKight89 Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/13/18
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Try not to laugh at the dudes pulling carts full of fancy over and unders and changing chokes at every station. I like improved cylinder and have used skeet chokes enough not to feel under choked around here. Have fun it can be habit forming.

+1,000, I've shot Clay's everywhere from Florida up to Jersey and west to Oklahoma. There were these types at every course. However, we use our pumps and banged up auto loaders, carry our shells in a pack and sling our guns instead of renting a golf cart and barely ever tighten our poly chokes past Improved Cylinder. It is easily my favorite off season activity besides bass fishing. $38 for a 100 birds is pretty good price too, just paid $25 for 50 here in NC yesterday.
Posted By: battue Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/13/18
Remington Gun Club 7.5, 1oz along with the same in the Rio brand are you friend.

As far as score it will depend on the course set at the time. Some are hunter friendly and others for competition. You will know after a couple of rounds. Some places have both easy and hard stations, that are determined by where they place the stand in relationship to the trap.
Posted By: battue Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/13/18
Derrick Mein is one of those with the fancy gun and cart. I doubt if many would laugh at him when watching him shoot.

There are more than a few of him and her out there.
Posted By: passport Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/14/18
Holy chit....
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/14/18
Deflave, my pal is a big time shooter and he loved the RIO 1 oz loads of 7 1/2 and maybe 8's they were something like 1255fps if I remember!! Have fun!! Hope you get back to Montana soon!!
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/14/18
Originally Posted by deflave
There's a place about 15 minutes from here that has Sporting Clay runs for $38 per 100 clays.

I've always thought shooting fake birds was stupid, but since I don't have any real birds, I may give it a try.

Anything I need to know going in? Does everybody shoot low brass 7 1/2 type stuff? What's a good score?

Good God, First its Sporting Clays...... then you will want to go fishing in Shorts and Tank Top in a swamp! What has happened to the MT flash? Is FLA really that influential........
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/14/18
i shoot 1 ounce loads of #8 shot. moatly remington gunclubs as i can get them the cheapest.

typically cyl and imp. cyl chokes with a light mod. in my pocket

if i were shooting a singke barrel id use either imp cyl or light mod and call it a day
Might want to look at the target presentation before selecting a choke, just a thought.....
Posted By: battue Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/14/18
And a good thought it would be. That being said most of the great guns are choked tight. Many will tell you, ink balls breed confidence, chips doubt.

One of the main takeaways from that video is how short Derricks move is. It is quick like a snake strike. However, it all starts with his hold point. The rest of us usually ride the target trying to get it right. Like he said, "Trust it."

He also won last years National Championship.
All true battue, but we’re talking about a guy that’s never shot sporting clays and clearly has little to no shotgun trigger time. Remember, he thinks it’s stupid lol!!
From his Montana posts I think he knows his way around a shotgun. If he likes SC, I think he will be above average fairly quickly.
Posted By: deflave Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/14/18
Originally Posted by passport
Might want to look at the target presentation before selecting a choke, just a thought.....

I don't even know what that means.
Originally Posted by battue
Remington Gun Club 7.5, 1oz along with the same in the Rio brand are you friend.

As far as score it will depend on the course set at the time. Some are hunter friendly and others for competition. You will know after a couple of rounds. Some places have both easy and hard stations, that are determined by where they place the stand in relationship to the trap.

So it sounds like if you're just shooting to keep the rust off a guy would err on the side of a tighter choke?

I love competing and gaming games but I doubt see this being a sport I ever get into seriously. Just something for my son and I to do every other month or so.

We just plan on using our regular bird guns in 20 gauge.
Originally Posted by Bob_B257

Good God, First its Sporting Clays...... then you will want to go fishing in Shorts and Tank Top in a swamp! What has happened to the MT flash? Is FLA really that influential........

When in Rome!
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I like to use smaller gauges or 1 oz loads around 1200 fps in that I found lighter recoil helps my score. I usually use a light Modified choke. Did league shoots with friends for a few years. It was a lot of fun. Have had friends catch the bug and shoot 20,000 rounds of ammo per year which gets expensive.

Yowza!

Thanks for the info.
Originally Posted by Mike_S

+1,000, I've shot Clay's everywhere from Florida up to Jersey and west to Oklahoma. There were these types at every course. However, we use our pumps and banged up auto loaders, carry our shells in a pack and sling our guns instead of renting a golf cart and barely ever tighten our poly chokes past Improved Cylinder. It is easily my favorite off season activity besides bass fishing. $38 for a 100 birds is pretty good price too, just paid $25 for 50 here in NC yesterday.

Good to know. Thanks.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Deflave, my pal is a big time shooter and he loved the RIO 1 oz loads of 7 1/2 and maybe 8's they were something like 1255fps if I remember!! Have fun!! Hope you get back to Montana soon!!

I'll keep an eye out.

Probably wont' be back until retirement. 10ish years.
All true battue, but we’re talking about a guy that’s never shot sporting clays and clearly has little to no shotgun trigger time. Remember, he thinks it’s stupid lol!!

I've been fortunate to live in places that had lots of live targets.

Not many have.
Posted By: 79S Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/14/18

I'll keep an eye out.

So you kept the single wide in havre city trailer park?
Posted By: ZKight89 Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/14/18

Not many have.

The most shooting I ever get to do in Florida is when Snipe season rolls around.

So it sounds like if you're just shooting to keep the rust off a guy would err on the side of a tighter choke?

For myself,yes. Less room for error, but it should make one be more exact in their point. Others disagree and go for a larger pattern. Someone else said it, but we often miss by feet, but chokes only give us inches.
Originally Posted by 79S

I'll keep an eye out.

So you kept the single wide in havre city trailer park?

It a double.

Not many have.

The most shooting I ever get to do in Florida is when Snipe season rolls around.

I catch those in a burlap sack.

For myself,yes. Less room for error, but it should make one be more exact in their point. Others disagree and go for a larger pattern. Someone else said it, but we often miss by feet, but chokes only give us inches.

I only hunt with a full so I'm thinking I'll just leave it as is.

Thanks for the info.

From an article on chokes:

"The other key factor is presentation. As we discussed, edge-on targets are much harder to break. A 35 yard edge-on crosser can be more of a challenge to both shooter and equipment than a 50 yard driven target. The visible area is considerably smaller and the face presented to the shot is the thickest and hardest. A target showing its full belly on the other hand exposes the thinnest part of the clay and will require fewer pellet strikes for a clean break.

Choke selection then is part art, part science and (hopefully) now a little less mystery."
Posted By: ZKight89 Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/14/18
Bet you can't catch a bona fide Florida Mud Dove in a sack.....

From an article on chokes:

"The other key factor is presentation. As we discussed, edge-on targets are much harder to break. A 35 yard edge-on crosser can be more of a challenge to both shooter and equipment than a 50 yard driven target. The visible area is considerably smaller and the face presented to the shot is the thickest and hardest. A target showing its full belly on the other hand exposes the thinnest part of the clay and will require fewer pellet strikes for a clean break.

Choke selection then is part art, part science and (hopefully) now a little less mystery."

You mean changing chokes in the field based on the angle of the clay/bird?
Not on the angle of flight.

Based on the surface area of the clay exposed. Which could be at any flight angle. Go shoot, it will quickly be obvious.
Alright. Thanks.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/15/18
7.5's and a modified choke will work fine. No need to skullphuck it to death, as is the 'fire norm. Think 30-06, Leupold 3X9.....
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/15/18
I got hooked on it at the beginning of last year. I was trying it with my 870, but quickly figured out that wasn't going to do. I want to do well, I hate it when I suck at something. I found a really nice used Citori for a good price and bought it. Now we shoot a couple of times a week. Try it, you'll like it.

I bought some extended chokes that I can switch if I need to. I generally use a Skeet and an IC. If it's a longer trap shot, I'll take out the Skeet and put in a Mod. If it's shorter closer in stuff like Rabbits, I might take out the IC and put in a CYL. I'll also switch the barrels back and forth depending on how I'm going to shoot that station. It's almost like golf, you're not going to make a long drive with a 9 iron, or a short chip shot with a driver. If you want just a good all around choke, most of the guys that shoot an automatic use an IC.

When I first started, I was shooting in the teens (out of 50). Within a month or so, I was shooting in the 20's. Now I'm hanging in the 30's and I shot over 40 a couple of times. Yesterday, just playing around and practicing, I think I only missed about 8 or 10 out of 50.

A 20ga is fine. Some guys shoot a 28ga. I shoot a 12ga, so I can't comment of what type of shell to use. A guy at our club puts in a huge order together for us twice a year from RIO. I shoot #8, 1 1/8 oz., 1250 fps. for about $5.25 per box. I'll go through about 4000 rounds this year. Walmart sells Remington 100 round 12ga, #8, 1 1/8 oz., 1200 fps Value packs for about $20.00.

I shoot at a couple of clubs, and the going rate is about $15.00 for 50 birds. So $36.00 for 100 birds ain't bad.

I shot 5 stand last week for the first time. That's like a high speed version of sporting clays and it's fun as schit. It's a little harder because you have to keep your head screwed on tight and pay attention to what you're doing.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/15/18
I've found that sporting clays is like playing a bunch of different golf courses and skeet is like playing the same one over and over. 5 Stand is somewhere in between. Trap is like going to the driving range.

I've probably shot more skeet than anything lately. It's kinda like a measuring stick of sorts. Sporting clays is fun as hell until you want to take it seriously.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/15/18

Thanks for the info.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/15/18
When I started sporting clays, the most common choke used was Modified. Several years later screw in chokes became more available and people began swapping out chokes. Several years after that the trend was back toward fixed chokes, generally Improved Modified in fixed barrel guns and IM/Full or Full/Full, at least for the better shooters.

The theory is, (generally speaking) the center of the pattern is the same regardless of choking and if you put the center of the pattern on the clay, choke doesn't matter. Years back Bruce Buck discussed this in his "Ask the Technoid" column in one of th shotgun magazines and online.

Tighter chokes will break just as many targets up close as more open ones as well as provide a denser core at the longer ranges. Not having to concern one's self with choke choice means one can spend more mental energy making the shot than wondering if the "right" choke is being used. Until one realizes this, more open chokes are preferred as it gives the shooter more confidence in making the shot- whether deserved or not. If you are used to shooting a Full choke, use that and don't give it further thought. Just concentrate on the bird and shoot when things look right.

As for shells, most anything one can buy in 7 1/2 or 8 will be as good as the shooter if not better. I highly doubt anyone here is good enough to notice a difference in the shells used and even if one is in the upper 1%, their shooting ability will offset any deficiency in she'll quality to a large percentage. Premium loads will do more to soothe the shooter's mind than actually improve their ability. I'll shoot them to get the hulls for reloading but won't but won't worry if I have to settle for inexpensive Federal, Winchester, or Remington 100 packs or similar quality shells for all but FITASC, Super Sporting, or Compak where the ranges tend to be greater. Even then, it is more to ease my mind as I am not in the upper crust of shooters.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/15/18
I used to try to shoot a round once a month but lately two or three times a year's about it. I usually shoot a 12 gauge 1100 and gone from changing chokes at different stations to shooting everything with IC. I use 8s for most of it and 7&1/2s for the longer shots. My scores are about the same as when I was changing chokes. 70s with a 12, high 60s with a 20 and around 60 with a 28. Nothing great.

I like it better than skeet and a lot better than trap. $38 per 100 isn't a bad price.

It's a lot easier than doves.
Posted By: deflave Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/15/18
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
When I started sporting clays, the most common choke used was Modified. Several years later screw in chokes became more available and people began swapping out chokes. Several years after that the trend was back toward fixed chokes, generally Improved Modified in fixed barrel guns and IM/Full or Full/Full, at least for the better shooters.

The theory is, (generally speaking) the center of the pattern is the same regardless of choking and if you put the center of the pattern on the clay, choke doesn't matter. Years back Bruce Buck discussed this in his "Ask the Technoid" column in one of th shotgun magazines and online.

Tighter chokes will break just as many targets up close as more open ones as well as provide a denser core at the longer ranges. Not having to concern one's self with choke choice means one can spend more mental energy making the shot than wondering if the "right" choke is being used. Until one realizes this, more open chokes are preferred as it gives the shooter more confidence in making the shot- whether deserved or not. If you are used to shooting a Full choke, use that and don't give it further thought. Just concentrate on the bird and shoot when things look right.

As for shells, most anything one can buy in 7 1/2 or 8 will be as good as the shooter if not better. I highly doubt anyone here is good enough to notice a difference in the shells used and even if one is in the upper 1%, their shooting ability will offset any deficiency in she'll quality to a large percentage. Premium loads will do more to soothe the shooter's mind than actually improve their ability. I'll shoot them to get the hulls for reloading but won't but won't worry if I have to settle for inexpensive Federal, Winchester, or Remington 100 packs or similar quality shells for all but FITASC, Super Sporting, or Compak where the ranges tend to be greater. Even then, it is more to ease my mind as I am not in the upper crust of shooters.

Thanks woodmaster. Agree with you on the choke philosophy.
Posted By: deflave Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/15/18
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
I used to try to shoot a round once a month but lately two or three times a year's about it. I usually shoot a 12 gauge 1100 and gone from changing chokes at different stations to shooting everything with IC. I use 8s for most of it and 7&1/2s for the longer shots. My scores are about the same as when I was changing chokes. 70s with a 12, high 60s with a 20 and around 60 with a 28. Nothing great.

I like it better than skeet and a lot better than trap. $38 per 100 isn't a bad price.

It's a lot easier than doves.

Thanks, 43.
Posted By: deflave Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/16/18
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Thanks for the info.

[Linked Image]

Damn I'm good.
Posted By: fubarguy Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/17/18
Flave, as far as guns go, use what ya got. Ammo, the cheapest stuff works fine as everything is relatively short range. A good score is 80 or better. I've shot trap for 40 years but the best I've ever done at sporting is 32. Don't obsess on the score. Have a great time. Blast away.
Posted By: battue Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/17/18
Originally Posted by fubarguy
the cheapest stuff works fine as everything is relatively short range. A good score is 80 or better. I've shot trap for 40 years but the best I've ever done at sporting is 32. Don't obsess on the score. Have a great time. Blast away.

Not so sure about everything being relatively short range. 35 yards may be average, but it is an average.
Posted By: deflave Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/17/18
Flave, as far as guns go, use what ya got. Ammo, the cheapest stuff works fine as everything is relatively short range. A good score is 80 or better. I've shot trap for 40 years but the best I've ever done at sporting is 32. Don't obsess on the score. Have a great time. Blast away.

Will do. Thanks.
Posted By: fubarguy Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/17/18

Will do. Thanks.

How do you like Florida so far?
Still warm here, up north is starting to see snow.
When the gulf water cools a bit, grab your tackle and go!'

Deer season is almost upon us and feral hogs are everywhere.
Go get em!
Posted By: deflave Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/18/18
We like it fine fubar.

Don't see myself hunting in Florida but you never know. I may if the opportunity arrises.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/18/18
We like it fine fubar.

Don't see myself hunting in Florida but you never know. I may if the opportunity arrises.

Go after them big-azzed Boa snakes they got in the swamps... That'll get yer adrenaline goin' a tad.. laugh

Just me - but I tried sporting clays twice.. Won't go back.. IMVHO, a total waste of time/money.. And then there's the snobs at the round that pooh-poo anything other than what THEY shoot.. FWIW, I shot fixed-choke O/U SKBs and hit maybe 50%..

Enough... But I hope you have a great time and find friendly folks there..
Posted By: deflave Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/25/18
I need a boat to go after those. Until my old house sells my boat budget is fugked.

Going to shoot a round of this today. It is reservation only.

Sounds fancy.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/25/18
The nearest sporting clay range to me is reservation only- not because it is fancy but due to the course not being used every day and the need to load machines, replace batteries, and sometimes to ensure a trapper is available. Needless to say, the coarse is pretty bare bones as a "fancy" one would have all that covered every day.

In any event, have fun and enjoy being out shooting.
Posted By: fubarguy Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/25/18
Theres a range not far from me that is open six days week. Trap, skeet, and 5 stand
Posted By: deflave Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/26/18
Ok, that was an awful showing but I actually had a lot of fun. I had two spots reserved but my son told me he ain't paying $40 to shoot fake birds. He's such an ass hole. Next time I'll invite Local Dirt.

[Linked Image]
I used my Franchi Affinity in 20 gauge. A box of 100 shells was $21 at Wal-Mart. So under $75 for the whole thing. I don't think that's too bad really. Especially if you're just doing it casually.

I'll definitely be going back.
The nearest sporting clay range to me is reservation only- not because it is fancy but due to the course not being used every day and the need to load machines, replace batteries, and sometimes to ensure a trapper is available. Needless to say, the coarse is pretty bare bones as a "fancy" one would have all that covered every day.

In any event, have fun and enjoy being out shooting.

This place has skeet and trap and SC but they only do sporting clays on the weekends, Tuesday evening and Thursday all day. It was just blind luck that I could go this Thursday. I called Wednesday and got a 1p slot but nobody showed up so I was able to shoot with just the caddy or guide or WTF they call him. I was thankful for that because I didn't know what I was doing at all.
Posted By: battue Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/26/18
He would usually be referred to as the trapper. But Cody will probably be best.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/26/18
You're gonna get hooked on it.

Battue! You came up out on the range!

He tells me "target number two is going to be a battue." I said, "WTF is a battue?" LMAO.

Poor 'flave.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
You're gonna get hooked on it.

It was a lot of fun. They have actual tournaments there each month and they change the course the day prior to the tournament which I thought was pretty cool.

My dumb ass asked him if most guys use a bag to carry their 100 shells or do they just put them all in their bird vest. He just kinda stared at me and said "You put them in the golf cart. I'm going to drive you to each stand."

Whooops. Grin...

Battue! You came up out on the range!

He tells me "target number two is going to be a battue." I said, "WTF is a battue?" LMAO.

Poor 'flave.

"battue
[ba-too, -tyoo; French ba-ty]

Hunting .
the beating or driving of game from cover toward a stationary hunter.
a hunt or hunting party using this method of securing game."

Or. "A nasty curling sporting clay target" grin

Addition: You don't have to use a cart. One can walk the course if they want.

Posted By: Redneck Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/26/18
Ok, that was an awful showing but I actually had a lot of fun. I had two spots reserved but my son told me he ain't paying $40 to shoot fake birds. He's such an ass hole. Next time I'll invite Local Dirt.

[Linked Image]
I've seen a lot worse for a first-timer... $75 (total) for 100 birds - eek

Small wonder I gave up sport shooting a dozen years ago.. It ain't cheap no 'mo.... Glad you had a good time, Flave... smile
We have courses here were the cost of 100 is $22.00. Other places that if you shoot there frequently they discount their normal rate. Others you prepay for targets and the rate goes to the low to middle $20 range.

The course Flave shot had a minimum of 28 traps, and probably more, at $3,500 to $4000 per trap. Then add buildings and all the other costs and a SC range quickly becomes a big investment. Guy I know just started up a new course. Including land, permits and all the above he presently is right around $1,200,000.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/26/18
Good shooting IMO for 100 clays with a light 20 first time out. You'd have probably been 5 to 10 better with a 12. $38 is a good deal if it included the cart and not bad if it didn't.
Posted By: ZKight89 Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/26/18
[Linked Image]

Took the wife to try out her new shotgun this morning. Judging by the busted Clay's and big grins I do believe the birds are in trouble next month.....
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/26/18
Good shooting IMO for 100 clays with a light 20 first time out. You'd have probably been 5 to 10 better with a 12. $38 is a good deal if it included the cart and not bad if it didn't.

Agreed that is a good first time score.

Why do you think he would hit 5-10 more with a 12? I personally have never seen a difference between 28, 20 and 12 in my scores, though a .410 will take 10-15 targets off for me. These days I usually shoot a 30" 28 gauge for sporting. What's nice about the smaller gauge is people always say how much better I would shoot with a 12 and how good of a shot I must be to keep up with 12s shooting a 28. I say nothing and nod and smile knowing for me it makes no difference other than a little less recoil.
In Flaves particular case, not sure we can quantify what the difference would be. However in the long run there would be one. You may not have seen a difference, but when the big boys and girls play for keeps, they don’t use LW 28gauges. There is a difference, and if there wasn’t, they would be shooting the 28 for recoil. Nor would it be a LW one.

Addition: if you would ask most of the top guns why they use 1 1/8 ounce, the answer would be because the rules say they can’t use 1 1/2.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/27/18
Kinda like the LR guys sqawking about .550 BC vs .575. Doesn't really matter for a guy with a 200 yard max range. But I digress.

Anywho....

Speaking of 28's, I'd love an A400 Xplor. Damnation, made the mistake of shouldering one.
Posted By: battue Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/27/18
The A400 Xplor 28 is about as good as it gets in a semi 28ga. Then again, I recently saw a friends Urgartecha 28ga SxS. He paid about the same as one would for an Xpolar.
Posted By: deflave Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/27/18
Originally Posted by Redneck

Small wonder I gave up sport shooting a dozen years ago.. It ain't cheap no 'mo.... Glad you had a good time, Flave... smile

Beats golf!

I've always valued light guns but I can see where the heavier ones would be likable out there.
The A400 Xplor 28 is about as good as it gets in a semi 28ga. Then again, I recently saw a friends Urgartecha 28ga SxS. He paid about the same as one would for an Xpolar.

What do one of those run? I saw a beautiful Benelli in 28ga the other day and all I could think was 'WTF you gonna do with this thing in FLORIDA?'
Posted By: battue Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/27/18
$1300-1400 for the Beretta.
Schit that ain't bad.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/27/18
Shotgun money goes further than rifle money and nobody minds wood.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/27/18
That is not a bad score, I have seen much worse on courses such as this which do not cater exclusively to league duffers. Markham has a very nice facility and seem to give a typical competition level difficulty to their course which will help shooters improve their abilities rather than egos. I especially like that they offer 14 stations for a 100 bird course instead of 10 stations as many others do. With 10 targets to a station it is too reminiscent of skeet for my taste. I shot a couple tournaments there but don't remember if it was the Seminole Cup, Rhino Cup, or some other. They tend to blur together after a few years.

I believe being hauled around by a trapper with a cart is mandatory to prevent conflicts with others due to it being part of the county park. There are always some yahoos that cannot obey course rules which can lead to problems. With having to share the area with non-shooters, problems could disasterous for the range.
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/28/18
In Flaves particular case, not sure we can quantify what the difference would be. However in the long run there would be one. You may not have seen a difference, but when the big boys and girls play for keeps, they don’t use LW 28gauges. There is a difference, and if there wasn’t, they would be shooting the 28 for recoil. Nor would it be a LW one.

Addition: if you would ask most of the top guns why they use 1 1/8 ounce, the answer would be because the rules say they can’t use 1 1/2.

You are most likely correct and for full disclosure, I tend to use heavier guns for sporting also. I am not good enough nor seriously enough to consistently shoot in the 90s, but have shot with a few who do, and from memory, they all were shooting 12 ga sporting guns with 1 1/8 charges of shot, so you are probably correct. I personally shoot better with 1oz 2 3/4 dram in my 30" Beretta 391 Sporting in that the reduced recoil helps me over the course of a round or two and I do about the same with my not super light 30" Beretta O/U two barrel set Sporting gun ( 682 I think, but can't remember), though only when the 28 ga barrels are installed. In my experience, a little additional weight if balanced well helps me as does a little longer barrel and lower recoil loads do, too.
Posted By: battue Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/28/18
Agree completely and those who consistently shoot in the 90's, on a serious course, play the game on an obviously different level. I use 1oz for 99.%+, but if I absolutely had to break a target I would make the effort with 1 1/8oz.

That being said, those same top guns put together impressive scores on a serious Fitasc course using mandated 1oz loads. Most times they are hot, but still 1oz.
Posted By: deflave Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/28/18
That is not a bad score, I have seen much worse on courses such as this which do not cater exclusively to league duffers. Markham has a very nice facility and seem to give a typical competition level difficulty to their course which will help shooters improve their abilities rather than egos. I especially like that they offer 14 stations for a 100 bird course instead of 10 stations as many others do. With 10 targets to a station it is too reminiscent of skeet for my taste. I shot a couple tournaments there but don't remember if it was the Seminole Cup, Rhino Cup, or some other. They tend to blur together after a few years.

I believe being hauled around by a trapper with a cart is mandatory to prevent conflicts with others due to it being part of the county park. There are always some yahoos that cannot obey course rules which can lead to problems. With having to share the area with non-shooters, problems could disasterous for the range.

If you're ever down here give me a shout. Markham is only about 15 minutes away from where I'm renting.

The cart driver told me shooters used to walk from stage to stage and that the cart was just for hauling guns and ammo but at some point that changed. He said he wasn't sure why.
[Linked Image]

Took the wife to try out her new shotgun this morning. Judging by the busted Clay's and big grins I do believe the birds are in trouble next month.....

You married up.
Posted By: ZKight89 Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/28/18
I definitely way out kicked the coverage...... Took her to a shop that touted having 4,500 guns in stock recommended a 20 gauge and she picked that 870 after handling six or eight that caught her eye. Broke more than half with it and even hit a couple high incoming shots that I missed. 100 Clay's and the case of Wally World economy bird busters ran us about $75.
Posted By: jimy Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/28/18
Some places have practice nights, they are a great way to get better, you had a couple bad stations where you had problems, on practice night you can shoot as many rounds as you want at any chosen station, so you pass on the easy ones and shoot 8-10 rounds at the problem stations until you get them figured out, after a couple weeks your overall score will improve a bunch.
http://floridaclays.com/content.aspx?enc=D7DTTC+ZMo0631I70OwagpvVroRZPs8fkiCRcr7e0vg=

Being a county shooting facility, Markham may be different, but have yet to shoot a course one can't walk the course if they choose. Carry your shells or use a clays push cart. Some you may not want to because of time or distance. Many save the money when a cart is not included in the shooting fee. Cart rentals can go from $10 to $25 for practice rounds and usually more for tournaments. However, a group shooting together can split the cart cost.

Florida has some great courses and winter is their prime time. Then there is the South Florida Shooting Club which is one of the nicest courses in the U.S. Four different courses for all skill levels. Private club, but they hold registered tournaments that are open to NSCA members. Worth a visit, if one goes to a shoot or knows a member. Quail Creek is another nice club and open to the public.

To climb the SC ladder, it is best one learns to embrace failure while learning the tricks.

Addition: As Jimy mentioned, when practicing there is no rule one must shoot every station. If it is a target you have little trouble with, you can skip that station and move on to another.

Addition 2: At most of our courses around here, if you are shooting with another you don't need a trapper. You are given a card which counts targets and you pull-launch the clay-for each other.
Posted By: fubarguy Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/28/18
if it is allowed, the next time you go, try 7/8 oz of 6's. the will reach out and get the long ones. my s c gun is a verona 702 o/u with 30 inch barrels and briley extended chokes. improved modify and light full. 7 1/2 for the close ones and 6's for the long ones and report pairs.
Most courses have a 7.5 shot size max. All tournaments are 7.5 shot size max, and courses and station positions are designed to give a shot fall cushion. 6's may take it over the line since they will carry further. Before one used 6's or larger, it would be wise to check with management.

Get caught using 6's in a tournament and you will be DQ'd.
7.5's took him to 90 yards. He didn't need 5's until he was at 100yards.....

Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/28/18
Digweed, Damn!
Posted By: fubarguy Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/28/18
Up north, I was a gameshooter, Killers, Suzies, and Bluebirds mostly. We started at the 27 yard line and usually ended up at the 45, My 20 with 1 oz of 6's was my preferred load and I won my share of cash doing it. Down here, the shooters seem to live on the 16 yard line. Thats for children and sissies! Ha Ha.
You guys are a buncha fancy pants.

How the hell is that guy shooting clays at that range? Is he lobbing the shot down in the bird as it climbs?
Posted By: 16bore Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/28/18
High BC long range shot, range finder, hand loads, lots of windshield....
You guys are a buncha fancy pants.

How the hell is that guy shooting clays at that range? Is he lobbing the shot down in the bird as it climbs?

Well, for sure he isn’t shooting underneath. 👍
He mentions the how of it at the end. Notice how little he moves the gun.
Posted By: deflave Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/29/18
I couldn't understand WTF he was saying.
Posted By: BushCaddy Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/29/18

That appears to be George Digweed. He's from Britain and is probably the best shotgunner in the world
d
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/29/18
That was "King" George Digweed. He is a fantastic shooter though a little rough around the edges personality-wise. A good shooter moves the gun a minimal amount, before he calls for the bird he knows where he wants to pick up sight of the bird, where wants to break the bird, and where he has to insert the gun in the bird's travels to make that happen. In other words, the shooter has removed all unnecessary movement so all that is left is what is needed to break the bird. Another way to look at things is: there more movement the more variables are introduced and the more likely on pe will miss. It looks like the shooter is shooting quickly too but reality is the shooter has no extra movements so it only looks fast.

Ive watched George consistently shoot crossing chondelles at 100 yards with a mix of 7.5 and 8 shot. He broke 3-4 targets for every one he missed, and he only fired once per clay. That was an eye opener as I wouldn't believe one could break targets that far out with such small shot, even those showing a lot of face. After seeing that I had a lot more confidence in whatever load I got stuck with as I realized a target that didn't break was more likely my fault than the shell.

It looked like the trap was throwing an out going bird and, if so, the breaks are happening further out than what he stepped off. It is also a more difficult break as less target is seen and the hardest parts are absorbing the hits. If it is a springing teal type presentation the target could be a little further or even a little closer than what was stepped off depending on the angle of the throw. It is also an easier target to break as more area is available to be hit and the full dome and especially the face is easier to break.

I suspect George gave himself a little edge initially by using the old time Gamebore FITASC/pigeon load of an ounce and a quarter of nickel plated shot going 1350-1400 fps. They were nicknamed "rhino rollers" and for several seasons 10 round samples boxes were given out at shoots that offered FITASC. Loads like these were used by teams like the French and Belgians and I suspect the reason they seemed to fade out in multi-day shoots. Those Gamebores were the hardest kicking loads I shot but they were the best long range prairie grouse or pheasant loads if limited to 7.5 that I found.
Posted By: battue Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/29/18
Agree on the technical points. However, Fiocchi had/has the "Rhino" designation with their White Rhino and Little Rhino shell.

Posted By: Redneck Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/30/18
Many of the turkey shoots around here in the day (a few still exist) had clay targets that we would break at 90 yds for a win.. The Maiden Rock shoot was one. First 3 shots were at 16 yds.. Those who qualified (tied) would have a shoot-off.. The max distance allowed back of the trap house was 44 yards - and that's exactly where they went.. By the time the shooter touched one off that bird was at least 75 yards down range.. But on the 'Annie' shoots, many times #4 shooter would break one on the way down at 90+ yards.. I used #7 shot for the long-range birds..

I miss those. Haven't shot one in over a decade..
Posted By: battue Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/30/18
Annie’s are still big in Pa. One friend shoots them every Wednesday night.

From the video, they were using targets with a pack of colored powder tapped to the underside. Although that one looked like tannerite. Crack the clay and the pack is torn, which releases the colored powder. Makes a weak break-which you most frequently will get at 90+-easily visible.
Posted By: fubarguy Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/30/18
I too miss the games down here. It seems that nobody wants to take a chance at getting knocked out after one shot. My favorite was a "killer" at 35 yards. We would mix it up to include a "pullers Option" that is where the puller sends a target out anytime after the first shooter shoulders the gun. You really have to be on the ball because the puller can send a target out right away or wait up to ten seconds.
"Blue Birds" are fun too. At 19 yards, three guns up. First shooter calls for a bird, hits it and second shooter shoots at the pieces, third shooter shoots at whats left. If he hits a piece, he knocks the other to out.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/30/18
Free for all at 5 stand is like a dove hunt, just start launching birds and see who hits what.
Posted By: cedarbreaker Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/31/18
The old Gamebore 1-1/4oz loads were Buffalo's.
Posted By: lightning Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/31/18
Shot clays for the first time this past Sunday, and let me tell you, it was a humbling experience. I had a blast, but if I told you I got more than 30% of the birds I would be lying. One station toward the end of the shoot, I was 4 for 4, which lifted my spirits a little.
I would like to throw one problem out here to see if i can get a few pointers. I am right handed, but left eye dominant. One of the guys in my foursome Sunday, told me to put a patch over my right eye, and that would help my accuracy. Any other tips for a right handed, left eye dominant shooter?
Posted By: 16bore Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/31/18
Put a small piece of semi transparent tape in the middle of the right lens of your shooting glasses. You'll still be able to have both eyes open.
Posted By: lightning Re: Sporting Clays? - 10/31/18
16bore, Transparent tape as in Scotch tape? Thanks for the reply.
Posted By: battue Re: Sporting Clays? - 11/01/18
First the tape should be placed in a position that it blocks the bead of the dominant eye. The middle will usually not be that place.

This video contains more than a little on shooting with a patch, changing sides or retraining eye dominance. Andy has been a three time National Champion.

Posted By: 16bore Re: Sporting Clays? - 11/01/18
Originally Posted by lightning
16bore, Transparent tape as in Scotch tape? Thanks for the reply.

Correct. Listen to Battue....
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Sporting Clays? - 11/01/18
Agree on the technical points. However, Fiocchi had/has the "Rhino" designation with their White Rhino and Little Rhino shell.

"Rhino rollers" was an old phrase before Fiocchi came out with their Rhino line in the early 2000s. I suspect Fiocchi played on the term for their lines which is common in all products as it gives nearly instant name recognition.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Sporting Clays? - 11/03/18
Andy Duffy 2, thanks for posting. Good info, IMO, whether you're a competitive shooter or only shooting once a month.
Posted By: lightning Re: Sporting Clays? - 11/03/18
battue, thanks for posting the Video, a lot of great info and tips. I wish I had found the sport earlier. It's a great way to spend a morning or afternoon. I will be golfing a lot less!
Posted By: cedarbreaker Re: Sporting Clays? - 11/06/18
The "Behind the Break" podcasts are excellent. Andy knocked it out of the park on both of his interviews. A lot of the others are good too. Tomorrow morning, Bill McGuire's episode will be available.
Posted By: battue Re: Sporting Clays? - 11/07/18
This fellow just won the National Championship....

Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Sporting Clays? - 11/23/18
Battue I miss shooting sporting clays. I am dropped down to A class now because I haven't shot in so long! Maybe even B class. I am working in Slovakia now, I rotate out 7 Dec. We need to hook up and shoot again. As usual you are putting out good info. Great to see deflave out shooting sporting clays. Deflave if you get a chance checkout OK Corral in Okeechobee very nice club.
Posted By: battue Re: Sporting Clays? - 11/23/18
Ahhhh, my gypsy friend, I think of you often. Hope all is well and watch out for those Slovak girls. I dated one once. Wild creature, but fun.

You get back, give me some advance notice and we will shoot.

Off to work....

Addition: Dan has his own course. “Eagles Nest” in Ohio and is throwing monster Fitasc. Nice place.

http://www.eaglesnestsportinggrounds.com/
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Sporting Clays? - 11/23/18
We need you get out there and shoot! I have to go home to Montana first, then Arkansas to meet my new grandson, Then to CT to visit my mom. After that I can get out and shoot for sure. Take it easy buddy. Not a gypsy just chasing helicopters around the world! I have it made so I can't complain. Yes the woman here are well unless you have experienced it you won't get it! You have so you get it. What cracks me up is that in the summer they dress like total whore's, then in the winter they dress so classy and nice! I am not complaining either way. I only have one Helicopter, one Mechanic, one avionics, and two pilots to manage so life is easy here. Oh and almost no flight hours.
Posted By: battue Re: Sporting Clays? - 11/24/18
Make sure your full choke is in your shooting bag. grin
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Sporting Clays? - 11/24/18
I only have LM and IM, I'll make IM work!

You shooting a P gun?

IM will work....Yes. For now.... smile

Shot another guys new DT-11 the other day. They over-bore it considerably and taper the bore down to the choke. The is a little difference in recoil and the muzzle jump seems to be reduced.
So you are telling me no more P-gun? You are Big B-gun now?
No 34" barrels for the DT-11 frown
Still Perazzi, just looking.
You touch it you buy it! Just sayin smile
Posted By: lightning Re: Sporting Clays? - 12/10/18
Just got back from a northern deer hunt and wanted to get back into this post. I have a used Beretta AL390 gold mallard in 20 Ga on the way. Actually has an extra barrel with it also. I'm hoping the auto will be better for clays than the O/U. Also going to try the tape over the right eye.
© 24hourcampfire