Home
Picked up a Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel for the grandson, soon to be 8. Looking to scope it. Youngster is just now starting to show interest, was wondering about the scope. Our typical shots will be under 300 yards (have an easy to get to stand that has that range as the max, but have taken a few really good deer there. Sometimes though, they walk out right at the stand, a old very well used trail at 20...

I have a K3 and a K2.5 I started with back 50 years ago, considered slapping one of them on it...better choices?
Find a used Leupold Compact in 3x9 or 2x7.

Leupold 2-7
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Leupold 2-7

This.
Standard ol' modern 3-9x40 like a Burris FFii would work fine too. I'd pass on the antiques for the kid.
The older weavers ive had tend to fog if it gets really damp.
I bought the exact gun for my 10 year old daughter last year. I put a Boyd's laminated stock with as short a pull as they go and put a Vari-X Leupold 2-7x33 on it. Worked great for her first deer.
The Youth Grendels were Unobtanium two years ago when I was shopping for one for my grandson, then 9, so I got the little Russki instead. Two bucks so far.

Not long ago, Whittaker had the 6.5s with two stocks for $359; now Pappy has one. I left the youth stock on it and put a Limbsaver 1/2" slip-on pad on it. Now it's instantly adjustable for LOP. Great rifle. I'm shooting 120gr Gold Dots over 31gr of PP2000MR, Hornady brass, Fed 205, GM or regular.

Here's something you'll want too:

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/

Mine has an FF E1 4.5-14, but a 2-7 or 3-9 would be fine.

Ditto on not mounting the antiques. Last thing you want is scope trouble on a kid's rifle.
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

Leupold 2-7

This.

My vote.
Good points gents!
I'm a big fan of red dots and/or fixed power scopes for youngsters. The view is the same every time. Mine started out with a red dot and have moved on to a Weaver K6. Has worked for us.
Burris 2-7x35 Full Field II is what I would put on that rifle.
I like the Burris Fullfield 3-9x40 on mine

]

Attached picture 8FD107F5-E9D4-44DD-9DA8-6F575B820CC4.jpeg
Attached picture 7373B5AB-7881-430A-A634-873925BAE914.jpeg
Guy shot a Hippo!
grin
Doug has the 6x Meopro on sale...
No worries, 'man--
I have exactly the same rifle. I weighed it down with a big tactical scope for a while, but realized that the Grendel doesn't need a great deal of power. Switched to a Burris TAC 30 3-9x that I'd picked up on a smoking sale a few years ago. Balances well IMHO. Still has finger adjustments under the caps so I can play with the twirly things when the urge strikes. Ringing steel to 825. 1000 seems like it's pushing it for this cartridge/scope combo.
Good luck!
Conversely, more than a few have concluded a 3-9 or 6x SWFA is the way.

Some pics with various optics.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...tthread/Board/29/main/844739/type/thread

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...tthread/Board/29/main/785183/type/thread
© 24hourcampfire