Home

10 years ago Leupold was the (maybe still is) the better scope, with Nikon, and Bushnell being the main competitors, and Nightforce was a compeition / tactical scope only.
I personally rolled through Leupold’s from Vari - X, to the VX releases and hand them on just about every rifle I owned.

Today Vortex, SWFA, came up a long ways.
Nightforce also started pushing down into the hunting lines

So is Leupold still your go to scope you recommend, and put on your rifles or have you moved to a different line.

With that I need to go look at what the current line of Leupolds are out there... VX6 was coming out when I stopped drinking in the info.
Meopta is hard to beat for the money when it comes to mid priced optics. I still think Leupold is ok for set and forget applications when a less expensive scope is desired. I wont own another Vortex.
I still like Leupolds, they are in the state where I live and have worked well for me for many years. To date I have only sent one back. It was a 1988 3-9x40. It had been on my most used rifle for at least 20 years and moved to a backup that I shot varmints with. Windage got chancy. Leupold fixed it and sent it back. The other 35 or so are still trudging along on my grandsons, daughters, sons and my firearms. Pretty remarkable to my mind.

Burris makes a nice scope as well. I have bought a couple new ones for niche uses and they work very well. I don't spend that much for a scope a VX3I is about where it tops out for me so I can't speak to Leicas and so forth though I wouldn't mind.

I have a few Nikons but they are gone I guess. Weavers are toast too. I still have a couple. Same can be said for Redfields (the old kind). I tried some Bushnell's with Rainguard but they went belly up in short order. They were on a .35 Whelen and a .338 FWIW.
I still like Leupold. I think they make great products, thing is there are more competitors in the market like you have noted. Nikon scopes have gone the way if the dodo just to show what the pressure is like.

I/me/myself/personally feel like Vortex kind of started something when they came up. It's like they push other companies to match their warranty. Others did offer a lifetime warranty but their marketing really pushed it with "no questions asked". The other thing they started (again personal observation) are some of the newer companies entering the market space chasing Voetex (My next scope may be a Riton).

But enough about them, this is about Leupold. I own a Leupold range finder that had issues. Not only did Leupold replace it, but instead of offering me "in store credit", they sent me the newer model ($100 price difference) at no cost. So it's still a leader in it's segment to me.
Depends on how I'm planning to use the rifle.

If the rifle is going to see a fair amount of dialing SWFA 6x or 3-9. SWFA is the meat and potatoes, especially the 6x42 as it can't be beat for the $.

If it's going to be a set and forget I like Meopta 6x42, S&B 6x42, and the SHV 3-10x42.
Leupold lost its meat and its swinging potatoes.

SWFA is using its meat and potatoes to bang Leupolds gold ring.

I just ordered and it shipped yesterday a SS 3-15 Classic. It was in SWFA's sample list. Its going on a 1995 7mm Rem Mag Sendero.

Reading Formdilosus's advice on Rokslide and here also. I did what was recommended. I have not regretted it one bit.

All the rifles below now have 12X Mil/Mil SS.

.22-250
7mm mag....a savage.
.243 win

I am not a SS fan boy I just want something that will work like an aiming device should all the time.
Leupold lost my business after I dropped a VX1 3x9 (that I bought new and saved for in 2017) mounted on my .22-250...... It lost zero...... It was in a PADDED case when I dropped it. Everything was blue loctited down and cleaned from top to bottom with nail polish remover before any screws were remounted to the rifle. The rifle also had the same mounting treatment for the action screws. The rings, the bases's, all were treated the same too. I also had nailpolish on the rings to show any movement of the scope in case of slippage in the rings. I followed Formidilosus's guide to the letter.
All that and internaly 8" inches high and to 4" to the left is where it shot after rechecking it. My experience may not be the same as others but older scopes from Leupold are not the same as those made in the last 10 years or so......maybe even longer than that. But there is a definite line marked somewhere in Leupold's past when it started cutting corners.

Why send it back if all I will get is a possible guessing game of "maybe" in the back of my mind. That scope is now on a AR in .223 for just blasting purposes.

Best
HeavyDove
Most of my scopes are Leupold and Nikon. That isn't going to change anytime soon.
For hunting rifles Leupold is still the scope most folks here use, most of them don't read the 'campfire and don't realize that there scopes are going to fail at any moment - LOL. I would say that Leupolds are on at least 75% of the rifles in this area, the other 25% is a mish-mash of the other manufacturers, with the second most popular seeming to be Nikon.

I have never seen a SWFA in person, or even have heard of them mentioned anywhere besides on the 'campfire.

There is a small group of a half-dozen 1000 yard shooters who are using NF, I know most of them and even they use Leupold on their hunting and varmint rifles.

I think that one thing that is sometmes that is lost track of here on the 'campfire is that most people don't shoot or even try to keep up with all of the latest hoopla over scopes and calibers as is done here. It seems to me that the great majority of hunters/shooters want a scope that has a good reputation, which Leupold has built over the years, and like knowing that if they do have a problem the manufacturer will take care of it in a timely manner.

drover
Leupold to me is still the most solid option in the sub-$1000 category. There are a lot of good ones over $1000 and Leupold is a contender there as well.
Meopta for me a non dialer either their fixed 6x or the 3.5-10.

I like some older Burris models very much, not sure about their new stuff.

Trying a vortex Razor 1.5-8x32 out, my first of this brand. So far it’s got a reticle I like, power range useful to how I hunt and not extremely heavy. We will see how it holds up
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Meopta for me a non dialer either their fixed 6x or the 3.5-10.

I like some older Burris models very much, not sure about their new stuff.

Trying a vortex Razor 1.5-8x32 out, my first of this brand. So far it’s got a reticle I like, power range useful to how I hunt and not extremely heavy. We will see how it holds up

Keep us informed. I'm interested to hear how it works out for you over time.
Leupold took a huge hit for me when I had 6 ea 6x42's and 2 or 3 3.5-10's in a revolving door being sent in and coming back with the same issues. These were mostly newer scopes. A few were purchased new and several were purchased used here in the classifieds. Tracking and return to zero was the issue. I know, I know, Leupold is a set and forget scope! Then wtf is the Custom Shop selling turrets?

I bought one 6x MQ, sighted in with one shot and tripped roughly 10 Leupolds in the classifieds (which I'd bet are still making the trip to Beaverton on a regular basis).

Once Leupold had their incredible live 24HCF Bean Counter Schidt Show they aren't even in the running for a set and forget scope.
Yeah, I wouldn’t try to dial a Leupold 1” scope. They’re just not made for that. I think the 5HD and 6HD scopes do pretty well in that regard.
To me, meat and potatoes hunting scope means a 3-9x40, and not one that you might get a season or two out of.

A couple of months back I bought a NIB Made in USA Burris FF2 3-9x40 with their handy ballistic plex for $120 plus tax. That was the stores shelf price, and they weren't on sale.

Thats a good example of one to me, and of course there are others. But it will work near and far, for years (+ a lifetime warranty), and give you a hand with the long range stuff.
Originally Posted by BillyE
Leupold to me is still the most solid option in the sub-$1000 category. There are a lot of good ones over $1000 and Leupold is a contender there as well.

24hr need a super like button for smart posts.

Well done sort of New Guy. grin

Here is an example of how to post poorly.

Boo.

Originally Posted by Higginez
Leupold took a huge hit for me when I had 6 ea 6x42's and 2 or 3 3.5-10's in a revolving door being sent in and coming back with the same issues. These were mostly newer scopes. A few were purchased new and several were purchased used here in the classifieds. Tracking and return to zero was the issue. I know, I know, Leupold is a set and forget scope! Then wtf is the Custom Shop selling turrets?

I bought one 6x MQ, sighted in with one shot and tripped roughly 10 Leupolds in the classifieds (which I'd bet are still making the trip to Beaverton on a regular basis).

Once Leupold had their incredible live 24HCF Bean Counter Schidt Show they aren't even in the running for a set and forget scope.

I have used Leupolds since the mid 70's as a set and forget scope. Only one "failed" when the lenses started separating after each shot. It looked like a fog when they did and cleared up after a few seconds. After the fall moose hunt I sent it in and it came back fixed. I currently have a VX3i 3.5x10x40 with a B&C reticle on my old Featherweight 30-06 and a VXIII 2.5-8x36 with B&C reticle on my little 1640 Husky 30-06. I keep a 1.5-5x20 VX3 with a German #4 in Talley QD rings and it is zeroed for my .338 in case my SHV 3-9x42 fails. The SHV is on my custom .338 and has the Kendal Industries Ballistic tape for dialing if I need to.

Leupold's best features are eye relief, light weight and glass clarity. That and many gun mags featuring them setting on beautiful rifles that were on the cover of magazines for many years. That was a lot of good advertising for them.

I put a SWFA 3-9x42 HD FFP mil mil on a Tikka Superlight in 6.5 Creed, I am not as capable as that scope is, but I am slowly learning the reticles capabilities, which is more then the B&C reticle has to offer.
I have owned and still own many leupolds. All of mine are variable powers. I used them exclusively since the early 70s. I kinda slowed down after the VX2 line of leupolds.
The last five years, I’ve acquired half dozen Zeiss Conquests. I consider the Zeiss, a half a notch better.
I’m a guy that sights in with a duplex type of reticle and I don’t twist dials in the field or range.
Leupolds work fine for me.
I dont know about meat & taters , but I hear if you buy a new made in China Burris Signature HD, it will come with a free case of Corona virus
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Meopta is hard to beat for the money when it comes to mid priced optics.

+1.

You can get the 3-9x40 used in the classifieds for $300-350.
9 bolt guns at my house.....only 3 different scope manufacturers......zeiss conquests and terras, nikon monarchs, meopta meopros......never have had an issue.

In the last year or so I purchased 2 nikon monarch level scopes on closeout for prices i couldn't pass up.
Originally Posted by SCgman1
9 bolt guns at my house.....only 3 different scope manufacturers......zeiss conquests and terras, nikon monarchs, meopta meopros......never have had an issue.

In the last year or so I purchased 2 nikon monarch level scopes on closeout for prices i couldn't pass up.

Still three, but in another order...

Zeiss terra, Nikon, meopta meopro / conquest.

Meopta made the Zeiss conquests.
Leupold is a tried-and-true name, and will be around for a long time. That said, I'm a big fan of Vortex. Their Viper line of scopes are great for hunting. And their VIP warranty can't be matched. I have 3-4 Leupold's, but twice as many Vortex. And if I had to buy another scope tomorrow, it would be another Viper.
I tend to think of the 3-9x40 Burris Fullfield as the most inexpensive scope I trust and the Meopro as my preferred hunting scope. If you don’t dial, it’s tough to beat either of those at their price points
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
I tend to think of the 3-9x40 Burris Fullfield as the most inexpensive scope I trust and the Meopro as my preferred hunting scope. If you don’t dial, it’s tough to beat either of those at their price points

I think most every one is dialing these days.

How do you zero the optic to the rifle?

Am I wrong? shocked
I tried the SWFA SS 6x - it was clear and obviously built tough.

But baby, it was BIG! And heavy to match! And those turrets stuck out a mile!

As you may guess, I like my Leupold 6x scopes for general hunting duty.

For longer range, my pick is the Burris Fullfield II's with Ballistic Plex. Once I figure out where my shots land with each of those dots, there is no need for twisting turrets in the field.

My hunting philosophy leans toward getting close (max yardage for me is right at 400 yards, and I like it closer). I know others think that's a chip shot, and I wish them well. Long-range shooting is for those who are prepared with precision instruments and enough practice to to handle them well.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Am I wrong? shocked

John,

In my experience (which involves a lot of local hunters, as well as others from various parts of the country), you are wrong. I would guess at least 90% are set-and-forget, maybe 95%.

Of course, it depends on who you hang out with.... :-)
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Am I wrong? shocked

John,

In my experience (which involves a lot of local hunters, as well as others from various parts of the country), you are wrong. I would guess at least 90% are set-and-forget, maybe 95%.

JB,

You're spooking my fishing hole. grin

But you're not wrong.
I have a good many Leupold’s, but they could fail at any moment.

Am I wrong? shocked

John,

I'd guess that's about right. The only dialing I do is at the range while sighting in, and occasionally for fun with .22s or even CFs, also at the range. There's simply no need in this area, and most of the East. In fact, futzing around with a scope is a great way to miss your chance because opportunities generally come quickly, and game seldom lingers. I haven't had a shot opportunity at over 100 yards in a couple of decades, except the little buck I took in 2018, which appeared at about 200. In that case, I watched him amble my way for about five minutes and took the shot at a lasered 35 yards with my crossbow. In this region, long shot opportunities are generally confined to farms and possibly pipelines or power cuts. Public land is generally heavily forested or thick brush.
I have owned (and still own some) of the higher end scopes from Schmidt & Bender, Zeiss and Swarovski but the Leupold 5HD is the scope I go to today for hunting rifles, I own three now and Leupolds have been my goto for decades, never once disappointed me. I'm not a target/competitive shooter so can't say anything about scopes for that.
Meat and taters is set & forget for me. Leupold VX5HD 2-10x42.
Originally Posted by 257Bob
the Leupold 5HD is the scope I go to today for hunting rifles, I own three now

+1
Have three also and they are close to being my ideal hunting scope, the exception being the pitiful wide duplex.
The lit dot helps it somewhat, but I wish they would have left it the same as the VX-R had.

Mechanically they are working fine, but also am not a target/competitive shooter or a sniper. Just a hunter.
(Unless the SHTF worse than it is).
My meat and taters hunting scopes are still 1" Leupold 3-9x40, 2.5-8x36, and 3.5-10x40 variants, most being 5-10 years old, and most wearing the Boone & Crockett or Long Range Duplex reticles. I've got other brands, but mostly 1" Leupolds get taken to the woods.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Meopta is hard to beat for the money when it comes to mid priced optics.

+1.

You can get the 3-9x40 used in the classifieds for $300-350.

+1

Meopro 3-9x40 best value out there.
I agree that the Vortex Viper is a very solid scope for the Money. Holds zero, food glass..Not trying to kick the hornets nest but I don’t quite understand the Vortex hate. They provide a wide range of scopes with features for hunters and shooters in just about every price point. Pretty much kicking Leupolds a$$ in features for most price points. Like my Burris more than Leupold VXII too.
Meat and potatoes for me, the Conquest 3-9x40. I picked up several back when they were closing them out for $285 or so.

I don't think there's ever been a better scope for the buck than that one. Glass is great, they track well, hold zero and aren't heavy or bulky. What's not to like.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Meat and potatoes for me, the Conquest 3-9x40. I picked up several back when they were closing them out for $285 or so.

I don't think there's ever been a better scope for the buck than that one. Glass is great, they track well, hold zero and aren't heavy or bulky. What's not to like.

DF

That scope was a home run.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by chefcreed
I agree that the Vortex Viper is a very solid scope for the Money. Holds zero, food glass..Not trying to kick the hornets nest but I don’t quite understand the Vortex hate. They provide a wide range of scopes with features for hunters and shooters in just about every price point. Pretty much kicking Leupolds a$$ in features for most price points. Like my Burris more than Leupold VXII too.

The majority of my hate for them is the name. What in the schidt does a rifle scope have to do with the swirl in a toilet bowl? I bought one for my grandson a few years back because I ran out of time to buy him a good scope. My similarly priced USA made Redfield Revolution kicked its Chinese ass in every way and it doesn't have an entirely idiotic name.
Originally Posted by kragman1
A couple of months back I bought a NIB Made in USA Burris FF2 3-9x40 with their handy ballistic plex for $120 plus tax.

I could have sworn the two I used to have were made in the Philippines.
Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by kragman1
A couple of months back I bought a NIB Made in USA Burris FF2 3-9x40 with their handy ballistic plex for $120 plus tax.

I could have sworn the two I used to have were made in the Philippines.

Seems about 15 years ago they moved FF2 production to the Philippines.
A couple of them went back for elevation turrets when cost was around $85. This is what Ballistic Tape on a Zeiss elevation turret looks like.

Zeiss elevation turrets turn the wrong way. If you just read the scale, you don't get confused...

DF

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

The majority of my hate for them is the name. What in the schidt does a rifle scope have to do with the swirl in a toilet bowl?

I don’t hate Vortex and in fact admire their marketing acumen. Their warranty is great, but as has been stated so many times it has to be used too often. At least in my opinion. I’m talking strictly about Vortex scopes, not binoculars or spotting scopes. To my eyes eye relief and eye box are nothing to write home about from the Viper line down to Crossfire II and I find it especially bad in the Crossfire II. In addition I find the glass lacking in low light clarity. Good light and they are fine.
Meat and potatoes for me is Meopta. Used to be Leupold but for a variety of reasons it has evolved to Meopta.
My main hunting rifles have Vx2, vx3 and 2 monarchs on them.
All around $200-300 price point.
I tried to drink the vortex cool aid and not sure what the hype is all about.
Weaver Grand Slam and Sightron SII are still putting meat on the plate for me.You really haven’t experienced Vortex till you get into some of the Vipers and up...
[quote=Dre]My main hunting rifles have Vx2, vx3 and 2 monarchs on them.

I had a Nikon Monarch 4-12x42 that came on a used rifle I picked up. It was a really nice scope in hindsight. Glass was very nice. Sold it to a friend for his son’s first Deer rifle. Have regrets but glad it’s getting good use. Maybe some other company will capture Nikon’s scopes and rebrand. Keep thinking about picking up a closeout or two but can’t get myself to do it.
[quote=Dre]My main hunting rifles have Vx2, vx3 and 2 monarchs on them.

I had a Nikon Monarch 4-12x42 that came on a used rifle I picked up. It was a really nice scope in hindsight. Glass was very nice. Sold it to a friend for his son’s first Deer rifle. Have regrets but glad it’s getting good use. Maybe some other company will capture Nikon’s scopes and rebrand. Keep thinking about picking up a closeout or two but can’t get myself to do it.

Yes sir. Monarch has been good to me.
I bought 2 nikons on sale earlier this year,They have actually gone up in price. One from From 199 to 249, and one from 229 to 299. I’m sure there will be some close out deals sooner or later
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
...SWFA 6x or 3-9. SWFA is the meat and potatoes, especially the 6x42 as it can't be beat for the $.

This. Plus the Bushnell LRHS. Where I hunt shot opportunities could be at PBR, or they could be as far as the eye can see. My objective is to make sure my rifles/scopes, and my training and practice, are up to par to maximize the number of opportunities I can successfully take advantage of. That means that nearly all my rifles have a scope that is mechanically robust (holds zero tenaciously, tracks properly, RTZ, etc) and has a versatile reticle marked in the same angular units as the turrets. IME, the best bang-for-buck scopes that meet my criteria for a hunting scope are the SWFA 6x, 3-9x, and the LRHS 3-12x.

Even if I chose not to use the turrets at all after zeroing the scope, my experience has been that scopes that show signs of mechanical reliability like proper tracking, RTZ, etc, also tend to hold zero better than scopes with erector assemblies that track erratically or display other signs of mechanical unreliability.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
...SWFA 6x or 3-9. SWFA is the meat and potatoes, especially the 6x42 as it can't be beat for the $.

This. Plus the Bushnell LRHS. Where I hunt shot opportunities could be at PBR, or they could be as far as the eye can see. My objective is to make sure my rifles/scopes, and my training and practice, are up to par to maximize the number of opportunities I can successfully take advantage of. That means that nearly all my rifles have a scope that is mechanically robust (holds zero tenaciously, tracks properly, RTZ, etc) and has a versatile reticle marked in the same angular units as the turrets. IME, the best bang-for-buck scopes that meet my criteria for a hunting scope are the SWFA 6x, 3-9x, and the LRHS 3-12x.

Even if I chose not to use the turrets at all after zeroing the scope, my experience has been that scopes that show signs of mechanical reliability like proper tracking, RTZ, etc, also tend to hold zero better than scopes with erector assemblies that track erratically or display other signs of mechanical unreliability.

This^^^ The LRF and SS scopes are the best pieces of new gear for me in the last 10 years. To shoot well I have to practice a lot and dialing, useful reticles and true known distance has added a lot of fun to practice and a lot of confidence while hunting. Once you have learned the MQ reticle [easy] you gain a new confidence. Being able to dial elevation and hold for wind is like magic. Having this ability in an affordable, rugged and dependable scope is pretty cool.

The weight and turrets are a non issue after using the increased capabilities.

mike r

Am I wrong? shocked

John,

Agree 100%

I have to agree here.

How anyone would go hunting with an optic that moved willy nilly during zeroing is beyond me.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

The majority of my hate for them is the name. What in the schidt does a rifle scope have to do with the swirl in a toilet bowl? I bought one for my grandson a few years back because I ran out of time to buy him a good scope. My similarly priced USA made Redfield Revolution kicked its Chinese ass in every way and it doesn't have an entirely idiotic name.

I would wager a cup of coffee that your USA made Redfield Revolution houses Asian glass.

I would even go a little farther and say that most scopes...excluding the expensive Euro made scopes...house Asian glass. Produced in just a handful of facilities, just to different specs.

I have to agree here.

How anyone would go hunting with an optic that moved willy nilly during zeroing is beyond me.

Truth
Meopta is hard to beat for the money when it comes to mid priced optics. I still think Leupold is ok for set and forget applications when a less expensive scope is desired. I wont own another Vortex.

I agree with Reloader7RM, and would add the Redfield Revolution alongside Leupold as reliable set-and-forget.
(Both made in USA by Leupold)
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
So is Leupold still your go to scope you recommend, and put on your rifles or have you moved to a different line.

I'm still shooting Leupolds and liking them a lot. For most of my kind of hunting, set it and forget it. I have two Leupold CDS scopes, everything else is set-and-forget of one sort or another, plain duplex, VH, or B&C. If/when I ever do buy another scope with "knobs" it will probably be one of the higher magnification Nightforce scopes. At the moment I don't have a rifle appropriate to that kind of use. Given the hunting conditions around me, I don't know that such a rifle would be anything but a range toy.

Anyway, I've owned a lot of Leupolds. Never had a problem. I'm not going to change until I have a new niche or start having problems.

Tom
I got extremely lucky again yesterday, I was able to “walk” this group in. 3.5-10 cds, Remington 700 338 win mag, federal fusion 225’s factory fodder. First “group” I’ve shot in a year. If I get super, like really lucky, I’ll kill a bear or 2 in the next month and a half, and if the borders open, it’ll get the nod for (2) moose hunts next year, one in BC, the other in Alberta.. 👍
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Carbon fiber barrels, flat bill hats and Sitka gear is on order!!! Haha
Originally Posted by cdb
Meat and potatoes for me is Meopta. Used to be Leupold but for a variety of reasons it has evolved to Meopta.

Didn't they make the Conquest for Zeiss?

DF
Originally Posted by Ready

I like mine pretty well too, but it has little fuzzies all over the reticle. Since it was free I ain't whining too much, but if I had dropped a bunch on it I'd be pissed.

Fuzzies aside, the view is excellent. Still, Burris is getting my money these days. Less than $200 for FF IIs and E1s, and they work.
Originally Posted by SCgman1

I will say, my first bolt gun (1994)wore an old leupold vari-x2....

Even though the turrets were friction 1/2" adjustments, it was a damn reliable scope. .......despite the abuse I put it through, it would not lose zero......

Sold it to a friend when I thought I could get better glass....he still uses it.
I've used a lot of Leupold's over the years and still have a number on my rifles. I have had few problems with them except that they take more shots to zero due to inconsistent tracking.

I have an SWFA 10x on an AR set up for longer range shooting that involves dialing and a Steiner P4Xi 1-4x on an AR I use in rifle matches that require both speed and accuracy out to 300 yards or so. Both of these have worked well.

In the last few years I've bought several Burris FFII 3-9x scopes with ballistic plex and they have worked well and are an excellent value. For the hunting I do I prefer a BDC reticle on a reasonably light scope.

Yeah, the LRHS is great as well, but I'd consider it more as meat/potatoes with gravy.

If I were getting to design it myself I'd make some minor changes to them but the LRHS and SWFA's have well designed FFP reticles that work across most hunting settings. A lot of FFP reticles are great for shooting distance but suffer in some hunting settings.
My meat and tators scope isnt in production, the NF 2.5-10x32.
Originally Posted by Judman
I got extremely lucky again yesterday, I was able to “walk” this group in. 3.5-10 cds, Remington 700 338 win mag, federal fusion 225’s factory fodder. First “group” I’ve shot in a year. If I get super, like really lucky, I’ll kill a bear or 2 in the next month and a half, and if the borders open, it’ll get the nod for (2) moose hunts next year, one in BC, the other in Alberta.. 👍

Jud, don't make me break this down for you. grin
Yeah, the LRHS is great as well, but I'd consider it more as meat/potatoes with gravy.

Pass that gravy boat down to this end of the table, bub.....

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
I've more than a few and Reupold don't even begin to rate.

This year...let alone next.

LAUGHING!...............

Originally Posted by huntsman22

Glad you're not racist. See you've got one "of color" in the line-up.....grin
I've never handled a LRHS, but hear good things about them.

Same with the SWFA series.

May need to change that...

DF
Spotshooter: Leupold!
It has been "Leupold" for me going on 56 years now.
They have provided such wonderful service for me all that time and done so in the most difficult and harsh circumstances - for my countless Rifles and a few pistols.
This while target shooting, Varmint Hunting and Big Game Hunting.
Long live Leupold & Stevens Corporation - a fine AMERICAN Company.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Spotshooter: Leupold!
It has been "Leupold" for me going on 56 years now.
They have provided such wonderful service for me all that time and done so in the most difficult and harsh circumstances - for my countless Rifles and a few pistols.
This while target shooting, Varmint Hunting and Big Game Hunting.
Long live Leupold & Stevens Corporation - a fine AMERICAN Company.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Long time Leupold user, too.

And, they're good about fixing them.

But, after a few trips back and after what you hear and read, it does lead one to wonder.

My latest "meat and potatoes" scope.

DF

I bought one too, so Clint wouldn’t harass me anymore.. 🤭😅
Thats a proper rig Jud (except the Talley LW). grin
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Thats a proper rig Jud (except the Talley LW). grin

Those LW's work till they break, then like Leupold, they'll replace the broken part (usually a top strap).... grin

DF
I swap em out yearly.. 😂😂
What is comparable to your NF 2-10x32, as to light transmission in say a Leupold? Have you put it next to a 3-10x40, 2-7 or 2-8 by chance?

Curious how they do early and late in the day.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Ready

I like mine pretty well too, but it has little fuzzies all over the reticle. Since it was free I ain't whining too much, but if I had dropped a bunch on it I'd be pissed.

Fuzzies aside, the view is excellent. Still, Burris is getting my money these days. Less than $200 for FF IIs and E1s, and they work.

One of very few legit complaints about a Leupold optic.

Glass reticles can have debris that offer annoying various alternate aim points.

I would send it back to have the reticle cleaned up and as a bonus the guys at Leupold will actually be fixing a real issue as apposed to the myrid of imaginary issues cause by LDS. wink
Originally Posted by 65BR
What is comparable to your NF 2-10x32, as to light transmission in say a Leupold? Have you put it next to a 3-10x40, 2-7 or 2-8 by chance?

Curious how they do early and late in the day.

Thanks.

I think you'd need to specify which Leupold.

My VX-6, 2-10x42's have glass quality that pushes the Alpha Euro's for quality. I have Alpha Euro Swaro and Zeiss Victory examples to compare.

My NF 3-10x42 SHV has great glass, but don't think it would hang with Alpha's or VX-6's... Haven't handled a NF 2-10x32, so can't say.

I'd guess the SHV is somewhere between VX-3 and VX-6, pretty close to a Conquest.

That's my subjective position, no elaborate testing, just looking thru them Would appreciate other thoughts/observations/opinions.

DF
Thanks DF - yes, in my post I specified 3 zoom ranges in the Leupold's......any variation of them.
I like the glass in the 3-10 SHV w/Forceplex....I think I prefer it to the 2.5-10x32 NXS if I'm not dialing.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Ain't nothing wrong with gravy!
I like the glass in the 3-10 SHV w/Forceplex....I think I prefer it to the 2.5-10x32 NXS if I'm not dialing.

Interesting.

My SHV a Forceplex, non illuminated. You give up side focus with the illuminated version, not that side focus at 10X is that critical.

DF
Yeah, I actually prefer no parallax/side focus on a 10x scope for how I use one. I've had both the illuminated and non-illum SHV and prefer having the illumination to the parallax. The 2.5-10x32 NXS doesn't have parallax adjustment.....and like you mentioned, I don't think it's needed with only 10x, especially with a 3.2 exit pupil.
I got my SHV before illuminated ones came out.

I'd trade side focus for illuminated on a 10X scope, for sure.

DF

Ive settled on SWFA and the Busnell now too
Meopta for me. Great glass and mechanicals for the money.
My steel-tubed Weaver USA micro-trac K4-1 with plex reticle. .

My Leupold M8 4x with #4 reticle, or my Leupold M8 3x with duplex reticle.

Can't get anything more meaty or potato-y 30 years ago, today, or 30 years from now. Holds their zeroes forever. Never a hiccup.
© 24hourcampfire