Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SCgman1
9 bolt guns at my house.....only 3 different scope manufacturers......zeiss conquests and terras, nikon monarchs, meopta meopros......never have had an issue.

In the last year or so I purchased 2 nikon monarch level scopes on closeout for prices i couldn't pass up.

Still three, but in another order...

Zeiss terra, Nikon, meopta meopro / conquest.

Meopta made the Zeiss conquests.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Leupold is a tried-and-true name, and will be around for a long time. That said, I'm a big fan of Vortex. Their Viper line of scopes are great for hunting. And their VIP warranty can't be matched. I have 3-4 Leupold's, but twice as many Vortex. And if I had to buy another scope tomorrow, it would be another Viper.

Last edited by ClaimsRep; 08/12/20.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I tend to think of the 3-9x40 Burris Fullfield as the most inexpensive scope I trust and the Meopro as my preferred hunting scope. If you don’t dial, it’s tough to beat either of those at their price points

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
I tend to think of the 3-9x40 Burris Fullfield as the most inexpensive scope I trust and the Meopro as my preferred hunting scope. If you don’t dial, it’s tough to beat either of those at their price points

I think most every one is dialing these days.

How do you zero the optic to the rifle?

Am I wrong? shocked

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I tried the SWFA SS 6x - it was clear and obviously built tough.

But baby, it was BIG! And heavy to match! And those turrets stuck out a mile!

As you may guess, I like my Leupold 6x scopes for general hunting duty.

For longer range, my pick is the Burris Fullfield II's with Ballistic Plex. Once I figure out where my shots land with each of those dots, there is no need for twisting turrets in the field.

My hunting philosophy leans toward getting close (max yardage for me is right at 400 yards, and I like it closer). I know others think that's a chip shot, and I wish them well. Long-range shooting is for those who are prepared with precision instruments and enough practice to to handle them well.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Am I wrong? shocked

John,

In my experience (which involves a lot of local hunters, as well as others from various parts of the country), you are wrong. I would guess at least 90% are set-and-forget, maybe 95%.

Of course, it depends on who you hang out with.... :-)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Am I wrong? shocked

John,

In my experience (which involves a lot of local hunters, as well as others from various parts of the country), you are wrong. I would guess at least 90% are set-and-forget, maybe 95%.

JB,

You're spooking my fishing hole. grin

But you're not wrong.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a good many Leupold’s, but they could fail at any moment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Am I wrong? shocked

John,

I'd guess that's about right. The only dialing I do is at the range while sighting in, and occasionally for fun with .22s or even CFs, also at the range. There's simply no need in this area, and most of the East. In fact, futzing around with a scope is a great way to miss your chance because opportunities generally come quickly, and game seldom lingers. I haven't had a shot opportunity at over 100 yards in a couple of decades, except the little buck I took in 2018, which appeared at about 200. In that case, I watched him amble my way for about five minutes and took the shot at a lasered 35 yards with my crossbow. In this region, long shot opportunities are generally confined to farms and possibly pipelines or power cuts. Public land is generally heavily forested or thick brush.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned (and still own some) of the higher end scopes from Schmidt & Bender, Zeiss and Swarovski but the Leupold 5HD is the scope I go to today for hunting rifles, I own three now and Leupolds have been my goto for decades, never once disappointed me. I'm not a target/competitive shooter so can't say anything about scopes for that.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Meat and taters is set & forget for me. Leupold VX5HD 2-10x42.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 257Bob
the Leupold 5HD is the scope I go to today for hunting rifles, I own three now

+1
Have three also and they are close to being my ideal hunting scope, the exception being the pitiful wide duplex.
The lit dot helps it somewhat, but I wish they would have left it the same as the VX-R had.

Mechanically they are working fine, but also am not a target/competitive shooter or a sniper. Just a hunter.
(Unless the SHTF worse than it is).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My meat and taters hunting scopes are still 1" Leupold 3-9x40, 2.5-8x36, and 3.5-10x40 variants, most being 5-10 years old, and most wearing the Boone & Crockett or Long Range Duplex reticles. I've got other brands, but mostly 1" Leupolds get taken to the woods.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Meopta is hard to beat for the money when it comes to mid priced optics.

+1.

You can get the 3-9x40 used in the classifieds for $300-350.

+1

Meopro 3-9x40 best value out there.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I agree that the Vortex Viper is a very solid scope for the Money. Holds zero, food glass..Not trying to kick the hornets nest but I don’t quite understand the Vortex hate. They provide a wide range of scopes with features for hunters and shooters in just about every price point. Pretty much kicking Leupolds a$$ in features for most price points. Like my Burris more than Leupold VXII too.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Meat and potatoes for me, the Conquest 3-9x40. I picked up several back when they were closing them out for $285 or so.

I don't think there's ever been a better scope for the buck than that one. Glass is great, they track well, hold zero and aren't heavy or bulky. What's not to like.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Meat and potatoes for me, the Conquest 3-9x40. I picked up several back when they were closing them out for $285 or so.

I don't think there's ever been a better scope for the buck than that one. Glass is great, they track well, hold zero and aren't heavy or bulky. What's not to like.

DF

That scope was a home run.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chefcreed
I agree that the Vortex Viper is a very solid scope for the Money. Holds zero, food glass..Not trying to kick the hornets nest but I don’t quite understand the Vortex hate. They provide a wide range of scopes with features for hunters and shooters in just about every price point. Pretty much kicking Leupolds a$$ in features for most price points. Like my Burris more than Leupold VXII too.

The majority of my hate for them is the name. What in the schidt does a rifle scope have to do with the swirl in a toilet bowl? I bought one for my grandson a few years back because I ran out of time to buy him a good scope. My similarly priced USA made Redfield Revolution kicked its Chinese ass in every way and it doesn't have an entirely idiotic name.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 08/13/20.
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kragman1
A couple of months back I bought a NIB Made in USA Burris FF2 3-9x40 with their handy ballistic plex for $120 plus tax.

I could have sworn the two I used to have were made in the Philippines.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 270cowboy, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,054
Posts18,521,335
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.