Home
Posted By: ruffedgrouse shooting glasses - 09/09/20
I'm in the market for some quality shooting glasses. Would you give me some suggestions re: brands to consider, colors you've used and like, and lens material. I've read polycarbonate is very good. Would use these for all rifle shooting: load development, practice and if possible, hunting. thanks much.
Posted By: pullit Re: shooting glasses - 09/09/20
I use Randolph Ranger glasses for clay target shooting, I like the CMT lens very much on bright days
Posted By: Woodhits Re: shooting glasses - 09/09/20
I ordered a pair of Oakleys Half Jackets with transition lenses from my optometrist. They work in any light, correct my vision and protect my eyes. They weren't cheap.
Posted By: GF1 Re: shooting glasses - 09/09/20
Another happy user here of Randolph Ranger Edge shooting glasses. The tint/color of the lenses is very much an individual thing, as different people see colors differently.

Alas, I require bifocals, and have been quite pleased with my glasses, having just ordered two more pairs with a new prescription.

It may also interest some to know that a special lens can be cut with the order specifically designed for pistol or iron sight rifle focus distances. One lens for short distance, the off eye using the regular lens. I have had these for several years and they work great.

I highly recommend Morgan Optical, in Olean, NY. Great folks who understand shooting and optics.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: shooting glasses - 09/09/20
I've got Decot. HY-WYD. I shoot ATA trap. Seems like all the trap shooters around here use Decot. www.decot.com 1-800-528-1901.

I got the Classic Hy-Wyd frames in the Clays package. 3 colored lenses---Target Orange Lite Medium for low light. V-Lite Rose Light Medium for average light. ColorMag for ultimate contrast on bright sunny days.

They are a great family owned company that has been around for 65 years.

There are also packages for Hunting and Action Shooting.
Posted By: Tejano Re: shooting glasses - 09/10/20
The Zeiss are very good. https://www.clay-shooting.com/news/a-quick-view/
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: shooting glasses - 09/10/20
Another vote for Decot
Posted By: pullit Re: shooting glasses - 09/10/20
Originally Posted by GF1
Another happy user here of Randolph Ranger Edge shooting glasses. The tint/color of the lenses is very much an individual thing, as different people see colors differently.
I highly recommend Morgan Optical, in Olean, NY. Great folks who understand shooting and optics.

That is who I got mine from. I do have a couple of sets of Decot Hyd's but the Rangers fit me better
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: shooting glasses - 09/10/20
I picked up a pair of single vision TacticalRX SOB's with polarized brown lenses last year:

https://www.tacticalrx.com/prescription/tacticalrx/tacticalrx/sob-rx-pid-2242

I like them a lot. TacticalRX says they have a special formula so they can RX the curved/close fitting/wrapped lenses of sports frames. I can tell a difference regarding fine edges between the thicker polycarbonate wrap lenses and the flatter lenses I use in my daily wear. How much of that is due to the curvature vs the lens material vs coatings, etc I can't say. I don't have trouble shooting fine groups with them and when I'm outside or driving during daylight with glasses on I'm wearing them. If I had known how much I'd wear them I would have purchased them years ago. Really like them.

I also purchased another model from TacticalRX with clear lenses. I'd not do that again. I prefer the vision with flat/regular fit on the clear lenses.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: shooting glasses - 09/10/20
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
I'm in the market for some quality shooting glasses. Would you give me some suggestions re: brands to consider, colors you've used and like, and lens material. I've read polycarbonate is very good. Would use these for all rifle shooting: load development, practice and if possible, hunting. thanks much.

I switched to Pilla about 6 years ago. Now have Outlaw, Panther and Renegade frames for different uses. Their lenses and comfort are like they were engineered just for me. Obviously, mileage varies...

Pilla Eyewear
© 24hourcampfire