Home
Natchez just posted some newly designed Weaver "Classic" models on their website-

https://www.natchezss.com/email/2020/weaverclassic.html

And it looks like it was not just a "special run" ,either-
Here they be on Weaver"s newly updated website-

https://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/
I have zero issues with Weaver scopes.I have quite a few Super Slams,Grand Slams and a few Nitrex and Buck Commanders.They are all great scopes and most are on 30-06's,7mags,300 mags and handle recoil without fail.
I saw them on Natchez site. They are a design I have not yet seen. I wonder where they are being manufactured. Natchez site doesn't say.
Looks like Weaver took up where Nikon left off.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I saw them on Natchez site. They are a design I have not yet seen. I wonder where they are being manufactured. Natchez site doesn't say.

If it's the same company that makes the Busnell Prime, Bushnell's website says South Korea.
Any chance they are still made at LOW Japan like some previous iterations of the classics were? I wasn't able to find country of origin on either site.

I suppose, like was already pointed out, they're most likely an extension of similarly priced Bushnell's, and you have to move to the very top of their line to get anything out of Japan.

I had good luck with a couple Japanese weavers from the early 90's. They proved to be really rugged. One was a very used 6x that was mounted to a 300win 700 that I bought for the action. The whole rig was BTF; dents and scratches all over the scope, cracked stock on the rifle. But the scope tracked well and it spent some time as a mule scope doing load development on several ml's and a couple center fires. Let a friend talk me out of it for a rig he was setting up for a youth hunting/mentor to hunt group. He says it's still holding zero after a lot of tumbles and getting knocked around, whereas some new scopes they had donated haven't proved up to the task.
I think those new Weavers are pretty much the South Korean made Bushnell "Prime" series scopes , although the higher powered Weavers have 30mm tubes.

They need to consider adding Mil dot or milldradian reticles and exposed turret versions of those 30mm scopes..

But really ,I am just glad they did not totally kill off the Weaver brand and I hope Vista resists the urge to make any more sub $100 Chicom crap with the Weaver name on it. They can do that with Tasco and Simmons..:)
Don't know if they've made any mechanical or optical improvements, but I prefer the previous Classics otherwise. They looked more classic and had magnification ranges I like. The 1-3x and 2.5-7x in particular. Adding a 2-7x to the line would be nice.
I hate to say it and hope I am wrong, but the looks of those scopes in the link coupled with that cheap price is looking very PRC like to me. RJ
I posted this over on Rimfire Central. Someone called and found out they are made in S Korea.
Bushnell AR 1-4 I have says Korea. Seems hella decent for the price.

Those 3-9x40s could be the bargain good enough entry scope at $150. We'll see.
Sounds like a good article for Mule Deer: a test between Burris FF, Weaver, Bushnell, and a few others at the same price point.

BTW, I appreciate the fact that they offer a regular hunting plex. Maybe we'll see fixed 4x and 6x (again) in the future.
Weavers have always done well for me. I put a Grand Slam on my Marlin 1895M and drug it through hell moose hunting in Alaska...... rain, snow, mud, rocks, brush .....never failed me.
The lack of a country of origin is default China..
Originally Posted by GeoW

Lack of it listed where? SWFA doesn't list Japan on their pages. Or does this only apply to new products?
Lack of it printed on the scope body or lack of it on the add. A scope made anywhere other than China is a positive and would be advertised as such!
Originally Posted by RevMike

If it's the same company that makes the Busnell Prime, Bushnell's website says South Korea.

Weaver
New "Elements" lens coatings sounds similar to Bushnell's rainguard. Weaver's have usually been pretty rugged and reliable, glad to see the brand alive.
[quote=RevMike]Sounds like a good article for Mule Deer: a test between Burris FF, Weaver, Bushnell, and a few others at the same price point.

BTW, I appreciate the fact that they offer a regular hunting plex. Maybe we'll see fixed 4x and 6x (again) in the future.[/quote]
Add a 2.5 or 3x fixed.
A “brand” is just a name. Lots of companies rent out their name to various outfits, like the “Winchester” orange vest I’ve worn for about twenty years, or the cheesy “Bell & Howell” electronic doodads sold in the crap catalogs they send out in the mail. Question is: who’s going to handle warranty work? Natchez is the exclusive distributer, and dollars to donuts Bushnell will handle repairs.
The Jap Weavers were good scopes. I have several that have served me well. Not interested in one from the chinks or gooks.
Hey, this phone is made in Korea. SOaB it works good. On the other hand, Weaver Kaspa, chink chink chink chink...
Originally Posted by GeoW

No, it is not.
Looks like this new Weaver is only sold by Natchez..
They look tremendously like a Bushnell to me.
Buy one scope get free kimchi.
I like Weaver but don't find the duplex reticle very useful compared to all the other offerings out there now.....
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

where can I get kimchi?? I love it..
Since I went ahead and bought one of these scopes from Natchez I can answer the question. It's marked Korea. Pictures follow but if for some reason you are looking at this thread months/years after I post this the picture links may be broken. The scope is clearly marked "Korea"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I want to give Weaver another try......but won't.

My sheep/deer/bad weather rifle wore a Grandslam for years. It was beat up good and was a great optic for many seasons. After one particularly cold day deer hunting in South Dakota, the scope fogged internally.

I sent it in for Warranty work. Customer service returned the scope saying that due to "excessive use" the warranty was null and void. I called and spent an hour of my life talking to a customer service rep, and her supervisor. They stood by their decision.

In my opinion, the Weaver name and the warranty mean little when it's under new ownership every few years.

The above happened 15 years ago, so to be fair, today's Weaver may be different, but I'll stick with Leupold and Burris.
Originally Posted by silver78
Since I went ahead and bought one of these scopes from Natchez I can answer the question. It's marked Korea. Pictures follow but if for some reason you are looking at this thread months/years after I post this the picture links may be broken. The scope is clearly marked "Korea"

]

What do you think about the optical quality, eye box and eye relief?
It'd possibly look good on a RAR. cool

Is Bushnell going to Warrant legacy Weaver products or what's the scoop?
Politics aside, the specs look a bit skimpy to me, adjustment range in particular. Not crazy about the appearance either, but I’m an old fart with old notions. I’ve had good service from some Korean Bushnell Trophy XLTs on “budget” rifles, a 4-12 AO in particular. No guarantee these are made by the same folks, obviously.

As for kimchi, a little goes a long way with me. I’m more of a sauerkraut guy.
Originally Posted by jk16
Natchez just posted some newly designed Weaver "Classic" models on their website-

https://www.natchezss.com/email/2020/weaverclassic.html

And it looks like it was not just a "special run" ,either-
Here they be on Weaver"s newly updated website-

https://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/

“ And it looks like it was not just a "special run" ,either-
Here they be on Weaver"s newly updated website-”

If you click on each scope it says, “Exclusively Available at Natchez”, so I’m thinking it might be a special run.

]

What do you think about the optical quality, eye box and eye relief?

I do not consider myself enough of a scope expert to really give anyone much guidance. It's a sub-$200 scope so I do not expect it to be perfect. Seems Ok to me.

Korea makes quite a few of the newer bushnell scopes too. Forge, nitro etc
From the looks of these new Weaver scopes on the website, they look like slightly modified and relabeled Bushnell scopes...
the funny part is most of us, well especially me will not buy them cause they are not LOW produced japan products. but the company had to do something different because the general public wouldn't pay for solidly built japan stuff, instead buying the junk vortex sells. its really sad, that the industry is moved this way. I even see it happening with Zeiss. Zeiss has a totally badass line of scopes with the V4 line, but the problem is they aren't really sold in stores around me anymore. but for that matter it seems like all the stores have been constantly lessening their instock riflescope lines.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
the funny part is most of us, well especially me will not buy them cause they are not LOW produced japan products. but the company had to do something different because the general public wouldn't pay for solidly built japan stuff, instead buying the junk vortex sells. its really sad, that the industry is moved this way. I even see it happening with Zeiss. Zeiss has a totally badass line of scopes with the V4 line, but the problem is they aren't really sold in stores around me anymore. but for that matter it seems like all the stores have been constantly lessening their instock riflescope lines.

Shut up and test more scopes. That’s your true talent. Go forth...

A Korea made Weaver would really spiff up a RAR.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
The Jap Weavers were good scopes. I have several that have served me well. Not interested in one from the chinks or gooks.

The "Jap Weavers" were made in at least two different factories. The first ones, contracted for by Omark in the late 1980s, truly sucked--not optically but mechanically.

Omark switched "vendors" within a few years--which is modern "manufacturing" talk for switching the factory which makes stuff with a certain name on the product.

The last ones were very good. But they couldn't compete in a market flooded with new scope "brands" made in China and elsewhere, especially the fixed-magnification "Weavers," because apparently today's hunters can't kill anything with a scope that doesn't go from 2x to 20x.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

The "Jap Weavers" were made in at least two different factories. The first ones, contracted for by Omark in the late 1980s, truly sucked--not optically but mechanically.

Omark switched "vendors" within a few years--which is modern "manufacturing" talk for switching the factory which makes stuff with a certain name on the product.

The last ones were very good. But they couldn't compete in a market flooded with new scope "brands" made in China and elsewhere, especially the fixed-magnification "Weavers," because apparently today's hunters can't kill anything with a scope that doesn't go from 2x to 20x.

Yeah, I did it all wrong....had a RIMFIRE Nikon Pro-Staff 4x32 on my then M7 7BR rifle......dropped a deer running at 200 yds.........oh, first shot.

Glad I wasn't fumbling with a variable....JS. It would be VERY interesting to KNOW just how many animals would be alive today....if the hunters only had a modest fixed power............dropped many deer myself with 4x and 6x, even a 2.5x on a 357 lever. An 8x36...yes smaller than the more common larger objective M8 and FX-II made over the years served well on a 222 and also a 243 AI Sako sporter, a 7.5 x was the Cat's Meow on a former Sako Forester 243. My shooting partner said watching me in the field on various 'varmints' - I shot that last combo better than almost anything else. Last, an M8 12x CPC NEVER left me wanting on my varmint rifles for field shooting. Anything more was great for paper, excessive in the field. Ironically, I tried liking a M8 10x, but it left me wanting either a tad more zoom vs the 12x, or a larger FOV like the 7.5 and 8x when it came to varmint rifles.

Yes, I have like many used variables scopes UP to 24x, nothing against them, but the lack of fixed powers being mfg...and used, is as much marketing and ego...vs need, IMHO. No one size tool fits all......but anyone remember Jack O'Connor?..............
Originally Posted by BobBrown

How about a Korean Bushnell?

Originally Posted by 4th_point

Yah, that's what I'm talkin about!
I'm with you Pappy, a little Kimchi goes a long way. I spent a good bit of time in Osan, Koonsan, Taegu and Kwangju. On the other hand, I have a lot of great memories of many nice Korean girl friends. RJ grin
Originally Posted by rj308
I'm with you Pappy, a little Kimchi goes a long way. I spent a good bit of time in Osan, Koonsan, Taegu and Kwangju. On the other hand, I have a lot of great memories of many nice Korean girl friends. RJ grin

Regrettably, I squandered my best years with a series of bat-crap-crazy white women. I often tell the China Doll that from now on, all my wives are going to be Chinese..... or maybe Korean. She says I should give Korean a try next time. 🤔

She’s sticking with White Devils, though.

Hey! I have a ruler just like that!
Weaver certainly isn’t back in the scope business
This is just some crap built in asia that a holding company is trying to flog using a once respected brand name
More fool you if you buy one
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Hey! I have a ruler just like that!

Good looking ruler!
Another cheap variable just like a whole bunch of others. Phooey. GD

That's a hell of a deal! Especially cucumber.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I never had any from the 80's. I was pretty pissed at Omark for moving Weaver production from El Paso to Japan. Didn't get over it enough to buy one until the late 90's. Was then pleased enough with the product to buy several more over the years. I still wish they had never moved from El Paso.
Maybe if the new Remington does package rifles theyll put the new Weavers on em.

Outside if that, think theyll flop

Market already flooded.
Originally Posted by T Bone

I sent it in for Warranty work. Customer service returned the scope saying that due to "excessive use" the warranty was null and void. I called and spent an hour of my life talking to a customer service rep, and her supervisor. They stood by their decision.

That is poopy CS period.

What are you suppose to do? Not use it so you do not void the warranty?
© 24hourcampfire