Home
Posted By: andrews1958 Best Bore Sighter - 11/10/20
What would you recommend as the best / most accurate laser bore sighter on the market. Wheelers is the most expensive bit is it worth it? Getting ready to buy one
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/10/20
Pieces of worthless schit. Hint.

Use your blinkers and a scope that ACTUALLY fhuqking tracks and (3) shots to attain zero,is a whole fhuqking bunch of shooting. Hint.

Thank me later...................
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/10/20
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Completely agree
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/10/20
Originally Posted by andrews1958
What would you recommend as the best / most accurate laser bore sighter on the market. Wheelers is the most expensive bit is it worth it? Getting ready to buy one

Total waste of money
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/10/20
The only tool I've found to ever help save a round or two of ammo is an old Bushnell collimator. Especially if you are removing a zero'ed scope and replacing it with a new one, I can generally get a new scope to shoot within a few clicks at 100 first time out by recording what the old scope saw on the collimator and putting the new one as close to there as I can, takes about 30 seconds.
Posted By: ckat Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/10/20
Best bore sighter? Your eyeball.

Pull the bolt, use your bore as the “ghost ring” to attain the target. Keep the rifle there and move the crosshairs to mirror the alignment.

This should get you on 8.5x11” paper 99% of the time. From there, a scope with dependable turrets makes zeroing a cakewalk.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/10/20
Bushnell collimeter. Will also work with semiautos, pumps, and lever actions where you can't just pull the bolt and sight thru barrel. Got mine about 35 yrs ago. Can do initial bore sight at home before going to the range.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/10/20
But But But Jim Shockey swears by his. I bought one about 10 years ago, wasted money.
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
The only tool I've found to ever help save a round or two of ammo is an old Bushnell collimator. Especially if you are removing a zero'ed scope and replacing it with a new one, I can generally get a new scope to shoot within a few clicks at 100 first time out by recording what the old scope saw on the collimator and putting the new one as close to there as I can, takes about 30 seconds.

If you want, after sighting in rifle, you can adjust the grid in the collimeter to match for easier scope remounting.
Originally Posted by MikeL2

If you want, after sighting in rifle, you can adjust the grid in the collimeter to match for easier scope remounting.

Oh yeah, you can also help prevent a canted scope by making sure vertical line in scope reticle is parallel with vertical collimeter grid lines.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/10/20
For lever rifles etc. that you can't shuck the bolt on, you can stick em in a vise, turn off the lights, and shine a flashlight into the chamber, projecting a beam of light through the barrel onto a nearby wall. Adjust scope to wherever the beam of light hit. That has got me on paper a time or two.
Posted By: troutslayer Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/10/20
I can get on paper every time using my Leupold Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter. Sadly, I believe they quit making them years ago..
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/10/20
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
But But But Jim Shockey swears by his. I bought one about 10 years ago, wasted money.

Yep, "trusts his life to it."
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/10/20
Originally Posted by troutslayer
I can get on paper every time using my Leupold Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter. Sadly, I believe they quit making them years ago..

I had three of them, NIB. You should've seen what they fetched on Ebay.....a fool and his money........
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/10/20
Originally Posted by troutslayer

I can get on paper everytime and I don't use a mechanical bore sighter
Posted By: Utahunter Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/10/20
I agree with ckat. I put my rifles in a lead sled, pull the bolt and look down the barrel to align the bore with the target. Target is set at 25 yds. Then adjust the crosshairs to be centered on the bull's eye. Once I line up, I shoot a round or 2 at 25 yds. and adjust my point of impact to be about 1" low. At 100 yards I'm usually really close to hitting the bull. So close that I usually need only a couple of rounds to adjust the scope where I want the impact to be, usually 2 1/2" high at 100 yards. I think 6 rounds is the most I've ever had to fire to get a new scope adjusted where I want it to be.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/10/20
I have always just looked through the bbl and moved the x to it. I try to pick something 100 yards away and the only time I wasn't on paper was with a couple of scopes that were bad out of the box. In fact I did it for a guy at deer camp couple of weeks ago. He thought I was crazy until he shot his rifle.
Posted By: shaman Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/10/20
I've got a BSA bore sighter (collimiter) that I purchased 15 years ago. It never fails to put me on the paper at 100 yards.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/10/20

It cracks me up that Jeremy Shockey tries to pedal those POF bore sighters on every episode !!!!!!!
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/11/20
Originally Posted by shaman
I've got a BSA bore sighter (collimiter) that I purchased 15 years ago. It never fails to put me on the paper at 100 yards.

I'm glad you got one that works. I have one of those BSA bore sighters too. Sure, it will put me on paper but it has to be a hell of a big sheet of paper! First shot is always high to the left so now I adjust accordingly.
The last scope I mounted I used the method ckat mentioned and it was more accurate than my BSA bore sighter.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/11/20
I have a 1980 Bushnell bore sighter that works like a charm. I rescoped my T3x with a S&B classic and I had it dialed in 2" high at 100 in 4 shots.
Posted By: cdb Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/11/20
I have the Wheeler green laser boresiter. It was free. It’s works very well, good enough that I’d consider purchasing one if something happened to my current one.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by ckat
Best bore sighter? Your eyeball.

Pull the bolt, use your bore as the “ghost ring” to attain the target. Keep the rifle there and move the crosshairs to mirror the alignment.

This should get you on 8.5x11” paper 99% of the time. From there, a scope with dependable turrets makes zeroing a cakewalk.

By a mile! Set up at 50 yds. Put a quarter sized dot on the page and if you do it right. 2 shots should do it. fist shot should be close. then the second to track to the first shot.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Thank me later...................

Best tool ever for lineing up the screens on the chronograph.....

Dave
Posted By: nathanial Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/12/20
Your eye is the best bore sighter. Line up target through the bore and adjust scope.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/12/20
I have a 1980 Bushnell bore sighter that works like a charm. I rescoped my T3x with a S&B classic and I had it dialed in 2" high at 100 in 4 shots.

I also have an old 80's era Bushnell that I still use, I am happy with it and am not too concerned by others turning their nose up at something that works.
Posted By: Takman Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/12/20
He swears by the Primos shooting sticks too! Hopefully you’ll get a hunt out of them. LOL!
Posted By: Jiggdog Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/12/20
Plus 1 on the Bushnell . My one from early 80's just works.
Posted By: wink_man Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/12/20
Originally Posted by Jiggdog
Plus 1 on the Bushnell . My one from early 80's just works.

I'll go along with the guys for the Bushnell, I've had mine since the early 90's and always gets me on paper on the first shot. I additionally bought the shotgun spud which is no longer available.

Brought it up to Qtips cousins house last deer season, he had some laser setup he said was a pain in the azz to use.
I boresighted his Remington 750 Jam o Matic at his kitchen table and we went down the street to the range at Hartwick Rod & Gun Club. First shot on the paper, second shot bullseye, he was convinced too.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/12/20
I have a Bushnell Collimator. It works very well.
Posted By: killerv Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/12/20
Love my magnetic Leupold. Most of the time can have one sighted in within 5 shots, and thats with shooting a group @ 100.
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/13/20

It cracks me up that Jeremy Shockey tries to pedal those POF bore sighters on every episode !!!!!!!
[/quote]
Curious what a former NFL tight end has anything to do with what JIM SHOCKEY uses?
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/13/20
I use the site lite and it gets me on paper at 100 yards 99%f the time
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/13/20
Leupold zero point
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/13/20
I've had success most of the time getting close enough to shoot at 100 yards but not always.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Leupold zero point

How do ya set up the zero point. I have an original model and sometimes it works other times not so good.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/13/20
Set up a zero point?

Clamp the rifle in a rifle rest.

Wipe off the muzzle so there is no dust.
Wipe off the zero point magnet, so there is no dust.
Place the zero point on the muzzle so the output lens is at the same height as the center of the riflescope.

[Linked Image]

Keep practicing until you always get the same reading.
Thanks thats how I've been doing it. I put a piece of tape across the magnet for my 1.5" sight height.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/14/20
Andrews1958: I have been mounting scopes on Rifles for more than 5 decades now and the boresighters I have used have been well worth the money. I have 5 (five) of them now - 3 Bushnells and 2 Leupolds.
I wouldn't be without them - and when I see them at bargain prices on the used market I pick them up!
One of my Bushnells has the rare to find 17 caliber stud for boresighting those small bores.
I get taxed with mounting many scopes a year amongst my friends and their friends (who know what a good job I do of aligning the rings and then lapping the rings then properly mounting and bore sighting their scopes) - I sell a lot of scopes to my friends, mostly as favors and not for profit - I just enjoy doing this type thing.
Using a boresighter keeps my friends happy and my reputation intact because I do not sight in but about half of the rigs I mount scopes on.
And unlike some armchair experts (no offense small twig!) I mount and boresight scopes on all manner of Rifles and a few pistols!
These include lever action Rifles, pump action Rifles, semi-auto Rifles and break open single shot Rifles that do not allow for "sighting down the bore"!
I have not seen the Wheeler boresighter in use so have no opinion there.
What does surprise me though is how well the magnetic end of the barrel attaching Leupold boresighters work.
Anyway I would not be with out them they are handy and quick to use and can be done (boresighting) in the same cradle as the Rifle is in for ring alignment and scope afixing - no need to take the Rifle/scope to a place where you can align the bore (on bolt action Rifles) with a distant object and then fiddle farting around with a Rifle that moves from that alignment each time the adjustments are touched - yeah been there done that, lesson learned!.
Over the years the boresighters have also helped me "trouble-shoot" problems of scopes "running out of adjustment", "sticking" etc.
Go with a good quality boresighter - money well invested!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posted By: dave284 Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/16/20
I had a Bushnell for years. Only remember once that it didn't have me on paper at 100 yards. Sighting through the bore corrected that. My two favorite uses for it were;

1, when replacing an already sighted in scope. The Bushnell could usually have you within an inch or so on the first shot.

2, using it to get windage adjustable mounts set to get your scope as near the middle of its adjustment as possible.

I wouldn't mind another collimator style but the only one I'm aware of currently made is the BSA and I've never put faith in anything they make. I have never tried the laser style.
Posted By: andrews1958 Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/17/20
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Andrews1958: I have been mounting scopes on Rifles for more than 5 decades now and the boresighters I have used have been well worth the money. I have 5 (five) of them now - 3 Bushnells and 2 Leupolds.
I wouldn't be without them - and when I see them at bargain prices on the used market I pick them up!
One of my Bushnells has the rare to find 17 caliber stud for boresighting those small bores.
I get taxed with mounting many scopes a year amongst my friends and their friends (who know what a good job I do of aligning the rings and then lapping the rings then properly mounting and bore sighting their scopes) - I sell a lot of scopes to my friends, mostly as favors and not for profit - I just enjoy doing this type thing.
Using a boresighter keeps my friends happy and my reputation intact because I do not sight in but about half of the rigs I mount scopes on.
And unlike some armchair experts (no offense small twig!) I mount and boresight scopes on all manner of Rifles and a few pistols!
These include lever action Rifles, pump action Rifles, semi-auto Rifles and break open single shot Rifles that do not allow for "sighting down the bore"!
I have not seen the Wheeler boresighter in use so have no opinion there.
What does surprise me though is how well the magnetic end of the barrel attaching Leupold boresighters work.
Anyway I would not be with out them they are handy and quick to use and can be done (boresighting) in the same cradle as the Rifle is in for ring alignment and scope afixing - no need to take the Rifle/scope to a place where you can align the bore (on bolt action Rifles) with a distant object and then fiddle farting around with a Rifle that moves from that alignment each time the adjustments are touched - yeah been there done that, lesson learned!.
Over the years the boresighters have also helped me "trouble-shoot" problems of scopes "running out of adjustment", "sticking" etc.
Go with a good quality boresighter - money well invested!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Thanks for all the info!
Posted By: hanco Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/17/20

That’s what I have, always six inches low and six inches to the right.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/17/20
I've never really had the need for them. Couple of shots at 25-50 and then on to the 100 or 200. We do a lot oflaser boresighting for customers at work. They seem to think it means the gun is sighted in, even though we tell them it's not. Too many are afraid of their guns and don't want to shoot them.
Posted By: shinbone Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/18/20
I use a SiteLite SL-500 laser bore sighter. It works great. After bore sighting at home, I can start final sight-in at 100 yards, which, when you shoot at a public range, saves a lot of time by skipping shooting first at 25yards.

The main thing to look for in a laser bore sighter is the brightest laser, so you can easily do your bore sighting in the day light on a less-than-ideal background.

For a bolt rifle, looking down the bore works, too. But you need a steady rest so the rifle doesn't move while you switch between looking down the bore and looking through the scope. A laser bore sighter (or other types of bore sighters) skips that requirement, making it easier to use.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Best Bore Sighter - 11/20/20

I made a video on how to modify a Leupold Zero Point, 9 years ago.

When my cousin with the patents at Mitutoyo watched it, he was on a biz trip in a hotel. He said the video allowed him to fall asleep.

That was a breakthrough for me. I have been sleeping with youtube ever since. This week I am listening to Sean Carroll's playlist "The biggest ideas in the universe" as I sleep.

The sleepiest part of my video is at 26 minutes in, I explain a current loop with a battery, resistor, and LED..............clunk..........zzz
© 24hourcampfire