Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a 1980 Bushnell bore sighter that works like a charm. I rescoped my T3x with a S&B classic and I had it dialed in 2" high at 100 in 4 shots.

GB1

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have the Wheeler green laser boresiter. It was free. It’s works very well, good enough that I’d consider purchasing one if something happened to my current one.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ckat
Best bore sighter? Your eyeball.

Pull the bolt, use your bore as the “ghost ring” to attain the target. Keep the rifle there and move the crosshairs to mirror the alignment.

This should get you on 8.5x11” paper 99% of the time. From there, a scope with dependable turrets makes zeroing a cakewalk.

By a mile! Set up at 50 yds. Put a quarter sized dot on the page and if you do it right. 2 shots should do it. fist shot should be close. then the second to track to the first shot.

Last edited by kenjs1; 11/11/20.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Pieces of worthless schit. Hint.

Thank me later...................

Best tool ever for lineing up the screens on the chronograph.....

Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your eye is the best bore sighter. Line up target through the bore and adjust scope.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I have a 1980 Bushnell bore sighter that works like a charm. I rescoped my T3x with a S&B classic and I had it dialed in 2" high at 100 in 4 shots.

I also have an old 80's era Bushnell that I still use, I am happy with it and am not too concerned by others turning their nose up at something that works.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
He swears by the Primos shooting sticks too! Hopefully you’ll get a hunt out of them. LOL!

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Plus 1 on the Bushnell . My one from early 80's just works.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Jiggdog
Plus 1 on the Bushnell . My one from early 80's just works.

I'll go along with the guys for the Bushnell, I've had mine since the early 90's and always gets me on paper on the first shot. I additionally bought the shotgun spud which is no longer available.

Brought it up to Qtips cousins house last deer season, he had some laser setup he said was a pain in the azz to use.
I boresighted his Remington 750 Jam o Matic at his kitchen table and we went down the street to the range at Hartwick Rod & Gun Club. First shot on the paper, second shot bullseye, he was convinced too.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have a Bushnell Collimator. It works very well.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Love my magnetic Leupold. Most of the time can have one sighted in within 5 shots, and thats with shooting a group @ 100.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It cracks me up that Jeremy Shockey tries to pedal those POF bore sighters on every episode !!!!!!!
[/quote]
Curious what a former NFL tight end has anything to do with what JIM SHOCKEY uses?

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the site lite and it gets me on paper at 100 yards 99%f the time

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leupold zero point

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've had success most of the time getting close enough to shoot at 100 yards but not always.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Leupold zero point

How do ya set up the zero point. I have an original model and sometimes it works other times not so good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Set up a zero point?

Clamp the rifle in a rifle rest.

Wipe off the muzzle so there is no dust.
Wipe off the zero point magnet, so there is no dust.
Place the zero point on the muzzle so the output lens is at the same height as the center of the riflescope.

[Linked Image]

Keep practicing until you always get the same reading.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks thats how I've been doing it. I put a piece of tape across the magnet for my 1.5" sight height.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Andrews1958: I have been mounting scopes on Rifles for more than 5 decades now and the boresighters I have used have been well worth the money. I have 5 (five) of them now - 3 Bushnells and 2 Leupolds.
I wouldn't be without them - and when I see them at bargain prices on the used market I pick them up!
One of my Bushnells has the rare to find 17 caliber stud for boresighting those small bores.
I get taxed with mounting many scopes a year amongst my friends and their friends (who know what a good job I do of aligning the rings and then lapping the rings then properly mounting and bore sighting their scopes) - I sell a lot of scopes to my friends, mostly as favors and not for profit - I just enjoy doing this type thing.
Using a boresighter keeps my friends happy and my reputation intact because I do not sight in but about half of the rigs I mount scopes on.
And unlike some armchair experts (no offense small twig!) I mount and boresight scopes on all manner of Rifles and a few pistols!
These include lever action Rifles, pump action Rifles, semi-auto Rifles and break open single shot Rifles that do not allow for "sighting down the bore"!
I have not seen the Wheeler boresighter in use so have no opinion there.
What does surprise me though is how well the magnetic end of the barrel attaching Leupold boresighters work.
Anyway I would not be with out them they are handy and quick to use and can be done (boresighting) in the same cradle as the Rifle is in for ring alignment and scope afixing - no need to take the Rifle/scope to a place where you can align the bore (on bolt action Rifles) with a distant object and then fiddle farting around with a Rifle that moves from that alignment each time the adjustments are touched - yeah been there done that, lesson learned!.
Over the years the boresighters have also helped me "trouble-shoot" problems of scopes "running out of adjustment", "sticking" etc.
Go with a good quality boresighter - money well invested!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I had a Bushnell for years. Only remember once that it didn't have me on paper at 100 yards. Sighting through the bore corrected that. My two favorite uses for it were;

1, when replacing an already sighted in scope. The Bushnell could usually have you within an inch or so on the first shot.

2, using it to get windage adjustable mounts set to get your scope as near the middle of its adjustment as possible.

I wouldn't mind another collimator style but the only one I'm aware of currently made is the BSA and I've never put faith in anything they make. I have never tried the laser style.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,078
Posts18,482,745
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.