Home
I'm not really a big Vortex fan and have never purchased one of their products but this scope seems to have a pretty good rep. I've been looking for a good 30MM tube scope with a reticle that is good for aging eyes:) Plus I'd like it to have zero stop and weigh no more than maybe 20 ozs so this scope seems to mark all the boxes. Price is reasonable and what I have found on the innernet is people seem to like it - would be used mostly as a hunting scope.

If anyone has any experience with this one I'd appreciate your input good or bad, scope will most likely be put in a Tikka SL 7MM-08 and be used for deer/antelope/elk hunting. Or if there is another scope I should consider - that is actually in stock I'd be happy to know what it is.
Thanks!
The only other that’s close to me is the NF 2.5x10-42 but it lacks a little top end but all the rest is there.

I saw one of the Vortex’s last fall and it seemed like a good scope but I’ve never shot nor dialed one so I can’t add much there.
Originally Posted by beretzs
The only other that’s close to me is the NF 2.5x10-42 but it lacks a little top end but all the rest is there.

I saw one of the Vortex’s last fall and it seemed like a good scope but I’ve never shot nor dialed one so I can’t add much there.

I do have one of the NF Compacts that I really like and would take another if I could find one with the mil-dot reticle which I like. But at under $1k for the Vortex it seems to offer a lot of features for a hunting scope, and it appears to dial and hold zero well and the optics are said to be decent. I know one campfire member that has one and uses it and he agrees its not a bad scope - other than it being a Vortex wink
Same thoughts OM. I get a decent deal on Vortex and still have never utilized it. That’s about the only one that makes me wanna try them out.

And yep, totally understand about the availability of NF. I’ve had 2x 2.5x10’s on order for months now.

I have a reminder on the Vortex Pro deal when they come in stock. So maybe I’ll get to flog one one day if the mood hits me right. I hope you get one and run it. I’m half a chicken but with a few more using them I’d give them a whirl I think.
I’ve had one for a year and I am NOT a Vortex fan in general....but ...this scope is solid. I’ve posted about it in the past.
Bought another (used) last night and have another new one in a box somewhere. Gotta get my rifle situation sorted out.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Looking across the water at a house more than a mile away.

I have a Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42mm illum HSR-5i MOA SFP Riflescope RZR-31501 on a 6.5-06 I built in Sept 2020.

I cannot find anything wrong with it. The HSR part means thick reticle. I am lucky to be able to SEE a reticle,
Do a search on the Googles, many of us have written reviews. I have three of these now and they are my favorite lightweight yet long range capable western hunting scopes. They hang with my NX8 4-32 and March 2.5-25 for long range stuff and are preferred for timber pounding. Mine get dialed out past 1k consistently and have been perfect. Can’t say enough good things.
Been tempted by one of these also; seems like lots of praise from their owners.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Been tempted by one of these also; seems like lots of praise from their owners.

Man…. This is making my resolve weaker.
At $800+/-, they are a very good buy.
I was hoping members would start talking about this scope .... it does check a lot of boxes and I'll probably end up trying one, and like Hutch said the price is right!
Anyone know which online suppliers usually have the best prices?
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Anyone know which online suppliers usually have the best prices?

For vortex reach out to Scott at Liberty Optics. Tell him I sent you
Well dang thanks everyone for posting your thoughts. I did try and do a search but I never have much success but knew this scope had been discussed here on the fire. I may give it a go.

Also thank you for the tip on Liberty Optics Doug - if you sold them I'd already be on the phone with you wink
I have both the 42mm and 50mm version. The 42mm sure on an 8.5# 340 Weatherby. Both have held up great so far and i do like the reticle
Snipershide and Rokslide both have threads on them; they have pretty good reviews over there.
Originally Posted by RHutch
I’ve had one for a year and I am NOT a Vortex fan in general....but ...this scope is solid. I’ve posted about it in the past.
Bought another (used) last night and have another new one in a box somewhere. Gotta get my rifle situation sorted out.

Hutch said what I have said before….

Very good in all respects…..The 1” version is great also……

The name of the outfit I bought mine was Spartan Precision Arms (Marc). Fast and super price..

When I tried to buy from Scott the wait was LONG………
There’s one for sale on Longrangehunting...
What is the best price one could expect these days for a new one?
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I'm not really a big Vortex fan and have never purchased one of their products but this scope seems to have a pretty good rep. I've been looking for a good 30MM tube scope with a reticle that is good for aging eyes:) Plus I'd like it to have zero stop and weigh no more than maybe 20 ozs so this scope seems to mark all the boxes. Price is reasonable and what I have found on the innernet is people seem to like it - would be used mostly as a hunting scope.

If anyone has any experience with this one I'd appreciate your input good or bad, scope will most likely be put in a Tikka SL 7MM-08 and be used for deer/antelope/elk hunting. Or if there is another scope I should consider - that is actually in stock I'd be happy to know what it is.
Thanks!

I have both the 42mm and 50mm versions. Overall, I slightly prefer the 42mm one, but the large objective will give you a slight edge in low light.

The 3-15x42 sits on a 280Rem TIkka. The 3-15x50 is slated to go onto a muzzleloader I am putting together onto an elk hunt this coming winter.

Generally, I have had these since just before they were officially released and they have been on and off several different rifles with no issues. I do not think you can do better than these in a SFP hunting scope around $1k.

ILya
Recently had a friend who attended a long range shooting class with a former military instructor. He was a fan of nightforce (no surprise) but also trijicon. He was big on scopes that could dial reliably and return to zero. I have zero experience with Trijicon but would take a good look at the Credo HX 2.5-15x42 before making a decision.
I see the Credo line heavily discounted across most online sellers which may point to a discontinuation.
The specs on that 2.5-15 are very similar to the LHT although it looks like the entire reticle of the credo lights up.
I much prefer the center only be lit for a hunting scope. Vortex got that part right IMO.
Warranties differ as well. Something to consider.
My only criticism with the scope has been some light scatter when the illumination is turned up. When the center dot is bright you get a small amount of red illumination on the X axis around the second hash mark or so. Not a deal breaker but it is noticeable.
I'm curious about the magnification ring..... Most of the Vortex scopes I have had were great, except you needed two hands or a throw lever to turn... How's the Razor?
I have been using one for quite a while and know of close to a dozen in use. No issues on any of them. One had a very nice local black bear in it two days ago...
Buy it without any hesitation!

I have two and they are the perfect hunting scope (if such a unicorn were to actually exist).
Really wish someone would make a direct competitor, love them on paper.
I wish they would make a scaled down version in 2-10X42.
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Well dang thanks everyone for posting your thoughts. I did try and do a search but I never have much success but knew this scope had been discussed here on the fire. I may give it a go.

Also thank you for the tip on Liberty Optics Doug - if you sold them I'd already be on the phone with you wink

Thanks, I appreciate the support. If there's a product we do not handle it is our pleasure to help you find it from a quality place that we know will treat you right
© 24hourcampfire