Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm not really a big Vortex fan and have never purchased one of their products but this scope seems to have a pretty good rep. I've been looking for a good 30MM tube scope with a reticle that is good for aging eyes:) Plus I'd like it to have zero stop and weigh no more than maybe 20 ozs so this scope seems to mark all the boxes. Price is reasonable and what I have found on the innernet is people seem to like it - would be used mostly as a hunting scope.

If anyone has any experience with this one I'd appreciate your input good or bad, scope will most likely be put in a Tikka SL 7MM-08 and be used for deer/antelope/elk hunting. Or if there is another scope I should consider - that is actually in stock I'd be happy to know what it is.
Thanks!

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 06/05/21.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The only other that’s close to me is the NF 2.5x10-42 but it lacks a little top end but all the rest is there.

I saw one of the Vortex’s last fall and it seemed like a good scope but I’ve never shot nor dialed one so I can’t add much there.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
The only other that’s close to me is the NF 2.5x10-42 but it lacks a little top end but all the rest is there.

I saw one of the Vortex’s last fall and it seemed like a good scope but I’ve never shot nor dialed one so I can’t add much there.

I do have one of the NF Compacts that I really like and would take another if I could find one with the mil-dot reticle which I like. But at under $1k for the Vortex it seems to offer a lot of features for a hunting scope, and it appears to dial and hold zero well and the optics are said to be decent. I know one campfire member that has one and uses it and he agrees its not a bad scope - other than it being a Vortex wink

"Team 7MM-08"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Same thoughts OM. I get a decent deal on Vortex and still have never utilized it. That’s about the only one that makes me wanna try them out.

And yep, totally understand about the availability of NF. I’ve had 2x 2.5x10’s on order for months now.

I have a reminder on the Vortex Pro deal when they come in stock. So maybe I’ll get to flog one one day if the mood hits me right. I hope you get one and run it. I’m half a chicken but with a few more using them I’d give them a whirl I think.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’ve had one for a year and I am NOT a Vortex fan in general....but ...this scope is solid. I’ve posted about it in the past.
Bought another (used) last night and have another new one in a box somewhere. Gotta get my rifle situation sorted out.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Looking across the water at a house more than a mile away.

I have a Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42mm illum HSR-5i MOA SFP Riflescope RZR-31501 on a 6.5-06 I built in Sept 2020.

I cannot find anything wrong with it. The HSR part means thick reticle. I am lucky to be able to SEE a reticle,

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do a search on the Googles, many of us have written reviews. I have three of these now and they are my favorite lightweight yet long range capable western hunting scopes. They hang with my NX8 4-32 and March 2.5-25 for long range stuff and are preferred for timber pounding. Mine get dialed out past 1k consistently and have been perfect. Can’t say enough good things.

100% Public land DIY!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Been tempted by one of these also; seems like lots of praise from their owners.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Been tempted by one of these also; seems like lots of praise from their owners.

Man…. This is making my resolve weaker.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
At $800+/-, they are a very good buy.

IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I was hoping members would start talking about this scope .... it does check a lot of boxes and I'll probably end up trying one, and like Hutch said the price is right!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Anyone know which online suppliers usually have the best prices?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Anyone know which online suppliers usually have the best prices?

For vortex reach out to Scott at Liberty Optics. Tell him I sent you

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well dang thanks everyone for posting your thoughts. I did try and do a search but I never have much success but knew this scope had been discussed here on the fire. I may give it a go.

Also thank you for the tip on Liberty Optics Doug - if you sold them I'd already be on the phone with you wink

"Team 7MM-08"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have both the 42mm and 50mm version. The 42mm sure on an 8.5# 340 Weatherby. Both have held up great so far and i do like the reticle

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Snipershide and Rokslide both have threads on them; they have pretty good reviews over there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RHutch
I’ve had one for a year and I am NOT a Vortex fan in general....but ...this scope is solid. I’ve posted about it in the past.
Bought another (used) last night and have another new one in a box somewhere. Gotta get my rifle situation sorted out.

Hutch said what I have said before….

Very good in all respects…..The 1” version is great also……

The name of the outfit I bought mine was Spartan Precision Arms (Marc). Fast and super price..

When I tried to buy from Scott the wait was LONG………

Last edited by Daveh; 06/05/21. Reason: Added vendor name

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
There’s one for sale on Longrangehunting...

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What is the best price one could expect these days for a new one?

"Team 7MM-08"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I'm not really a big Vortex fan and have never purchased one of their products but this scope seems to have a pretty good rep. I've been looking for a good 30MM tube scope with a reticle that is good for aging eyes:) Plus I'd like it to have zero stop and weigh no more than maybe 20 ozs so this scope seems to mark all the boxes. Price is reasonable and what I have found on the innernet is people seem to like it - would be used mostly as a hunting scope.

If anyone has any experience with this one I'd appreciate your input good or bad, scope will most likely be put in a Tikka SL 7MM-08 and be used for deer/antelope/elk hunting. Or if there is another scope I should consider - that is actually in stock I'd be happy to know what it is.
Thanks!

I have both the 42mm and 50mm versions. Overall, I slightly prefer the 42mm one, but the large objective will give you a slight edge in low light.

The 3-15x42 sits on a 280Rem TIkka. The 3-15x50 is slated to go onto a muzzleloader I am putting together onto an elk hunt this coming winter.

Generally, I have had these since just before they were officially released and they have been on and off several different rifles with no issues. I do not think you can do better than these in a SFP hunting scope around $1k.

ILya

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1234, 10Glocks, 1minute, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 60 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,535
Posts18,472,769
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.