Home
Posted By: JDK 300 Weatherby - 07/05/21
Was given a German Weatherby in 300 Wea. Looking for a scope at, let’s say under $400. Don’t twist and rarely shoot long range. Going on a moose hunt this Fall but wasn’t planning to use it if I can’t get it set up. Thoughts?
Posted By: 338rcm Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/05/21
Leupold 3.5-10x40
Posted By: WAM Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/06/21
You are going to go way over $400 for a quality scope that will tolerate .300 Bee recoil unless you go with a Burris Fullfield II or a Sightron S-II, both of which have good internals but not alpha glass. I have a Sightron S-II 3-9x42 that has been solid on testing hard kicking rifles. There are many good scopes that will tolerate Creedmoors and the like.
Posted By: DingoDuk Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/06/21
Sell the 300 Ratherby and use the funds to buy a good scope for something worth asking about.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/06/21
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Leupold 3.5-10x40

^^^This^^^^
Posted By: Ringman Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/06/21
I had too much trouble with many brands of scopes before I went to Alaska. That includes Swarovski. From pasts experience I knew Tasco World Class could handle the recoil so both the .300 Weatherby and the .375-8 Rem Mag had Tasco 4-16X scopes. It's been a few years so I don't know how good the new ones are.

If you could find a used Bushnell 4200 4-16X you would not have any trouble with it holding up to a .300 Weatherby.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/07/21
I have a 3.5 x10 x40 on mine and it has been fine. It may come apart on the next shot but it has been mounted several years with no problems. The 2 Leupolds I own that failed had been hunted with for 20 years each. I sent them back for repair and am using them again.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/07/21
Had no troubles with a 2-7x Burris FFII on a Weatherby Vanguard .300, using 200-grain bullets at 3000 fps.
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/07/21
My 300 weatherby is fitted with a meopta meopro 4-12 x 50 with talley one piece rings. I've probably only shot one box of factory shells. So ymmv.

PS I don't dial and turn and do all this stuff with my scopes. I sight them, and shoot them at 50, 100, and 200 yards to make sure I can hit the game they are matched with and leave it at that.

-John
Posted By: FWP Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/07/21
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
My 300 weatherby is fitted with a meopta meopro 4-12 x 50 with talley one piece rings. I've probably only shot one box of factory shells. So ymmv.

PS I don't dial and turn and do all this stuff with my scopes. I sight them, and shoot them at 50, 100, and 200 yards to make sure I can hit the game they are matched with and leave it at that.

-John

I have had a 300 Wby. since the mid 60's. I have a Leupold 3x9 mounted on it. I had a load I always used but decided to try some Barnes bullets. I needed a sight adjustment to get the Barnes to zero but the old Leupold would not adjust. I sent it back to Leupold.

Their technician called me. He told me the reason the scope would not adjust was because I had not moved the crosshairs in years and the springs set. He recommended moving the adjustment knob once in a while so they would not set again. That old Leupold is still working great!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/07/21
Originally Posted by FWP

-John

I have had a 300 Wby. since the mid 60's. I have a Leupold 3x9 mounted on it. I had a load I always used but decided to try some Barnes bullets. I needed a sight adjustment to get the Barnes to zero but the old Leupold would not adjust. I sent it back to Leupold.

Their technician called me. He told me the reason the scope would not adjust was because I had not moved the crosshairs in years and the springs set. He recommended moving the adjustment knob once in a while so they would not set again. That old Leupold is still working great!

They have every excuse in the book.. I run a 3-9 Zeiss on mine..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It adjusts just fine:
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/07/21
Originally Posted by DingoDuk
Sell the 300 Ratherby and use the funds to buy a good scope for something worth asking about.

Tsk, tsk, you belted magnum hating douche nozzle.

😝🦫
Posted By: SLM Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/07/21
You should probably take that target pic down. There is this guy that runs around yapping about groups not being centered on the target, something about why waste time posting sh it like that.

He’ll probably yap his gums about 3 shot groups not meaning sh it as well.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by FWP

-John

It adjusts just fine:
Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/07/21
And the little man chimes in......

Originally Posted by SLM
You should probably take that target pic down. There is this guy that runs around yapping about groups not being centered on the target, something about why waste time posting sh it like that.

He’ll probably yap his gums about 3 shot groups not meaning sh it as well.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by FWP

-John

It adjusts just fine:

Posted By: elkaddict Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/07/21
In your price range, the Leupold 3.5x10 will probably work as a set and forget scope. I had a vari-x-III 3.5x10 on a 340wby for 30yrs that held zero through hundreds of rounds. Sadly, when Weatherby dropped the 210 Partition loading, I had to adjust point of impact for different loads….and that’s when the scope failed(I’ve since remounted the rebuilt scope on the 340). I also ran the same model scope on a matching 300wby for 15 years and never had a problem. I opted to put a Z3 3.5x10 on for the upgrade in glass(it continues to hold zero). However, in my experience neither the Z3 or Z5 scopes track reliably enough for dialing. I also had one Z3 that wouldn’t hold zero…..:(

Personally, I think your going to need to at least double or triple your budget if you plan to do any dialing but still want good optics. Although it doesn’t have years of history, my Tract Toric has great glass and tracks precisely……so far.

If I were putting together another long range rifle, I’d look for a LRHS 4.5x18i. Great glass, FFP, and reliable tracking. I view illumination as a necessity if you have to take a shot in dark timber at close range. Just my .02.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/07/21
I've been selling my VX-3's and VX-2's and buying Fullfield II's. I have a couple 300 Weatherby's and it was my choice for a moose hunt in Ontario. Unfortunately I only saw cows. Here's my load of choice.

300 Weatherby, 700 Classic, Nosler Partition - 200grain, Fed. 215, 78.2 grains of RE 26 - 0.66 MOA
Posted By: efw Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/07/21
Mine wore a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 LRD in dual dovetail signature rings.
Posted By: JDK Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/07/21
Originally Posted by Bugger
I've been selling my VX-3's and VX-2's and buying Fullfield II's. I have a couple 300 Weatherby's and it was my choice for a moose hunt in Ontario. Unfortunately I only saw cows. Here's my load of choice.

300 Weatherby, 700 Classic, Nosler Partition - 200grain, Fed. 215, 78.2 grains of RE 26 - 0.66 MOA

Thanks Bugger. I drew a cow only tag and am leaning towards using my 308 if I don’t get the 300 set up.

I’m also leaning toward a Burris for that rifle if I buy new. Was looking for a Meopro 6x.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/08/21

Dipchitt
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Leupold 3.5-10x40

^^^This^^^^

+1
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/08/21
Leupold 3.5-10x40

This is what I have on my Mark v deluxe in 300 wby. A VX3i 4.5-14 x40 would work for me as well.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/08/21
Originally Posted by JDK

Thanks Bugger. I drew a cow only tag and am leaning towards using my 308 if I don’t get the 300 set up.

I’m also leaning toward a Burris for that rifle if I buy new. Was looking for a Meopro 6x.

The 308 will work. The 300 Weatherby will give you more range, but the fact that I won't take extra long shots, it may be a moot point for me. I have a cow tag this year in WY. I'm not sure what I'll be taking. The area is pretty open, it has some deep ravines and is hilly. I'm expecting longer shots maybe my only choice.

I just bought a new 308. I've had a few over the years, but this is my only 308 now and have not broken it in yet. If I were to take it hunting elk, I'd probably look at 165 grain Nosler partitions.

I've written/said this before, but the terrain and the likelihood of the range you'll be shooting, in my opinion, makes a lot of difference! There's no need for a 500 yard cartridge/rifle if you're hunting in thick woods. Carrying a light carbine where your likely going to be shooting a longer distance may not be the best choice either.

My favorite scope for deer, antelope and elk is a fixed 6x, unless it's in thick woods then maybe a 4x. But fixed power scopes that I like are harder to find than variables and I'm afraid that I've succumbed to the dreaded variable. My pre-64 300 H&H has a 6x M8 Leupold and it might be the one I'll take this year.
Posted By: 79S Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/08/21
I ever tell the story the time me and a bud went to kodiak on a bear hunt and i used a leupold scope. Hell we both used (don’t tell anyone) leupold QD rings. I know it’s a gd miracle we lived.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ringman Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/08/21
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Dipchitt

I concur.
Posted By: WindowLicker308 Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/08/21
Originally Posted by Ringman

Dipchitt

I concur.

Lol you just got done telling everyone about a couple of TASCOS that you have on your weatherby’s... you don’t have any room to talk
Originally Posted by WindowLicker308

Dipchitt

I concur.

Lol you just got done telling everyone about a couple of TASCOS that you have on your weatherby’s... you don’t have any room to talk

Call Dr and get your meds checked.
Posted By: WindowLicker308 Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/08/21

Dipchitt

I concur.

Call Dr and get your meds checked.

Just did. He says I’m good to go! In all seriousness though, those tascos probably do hold up better than something like say, a Leupold...
Posted By: Ringman Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/09/21

Dipchitt

I concur.

I know I'm not real smart. So maybe you could elaborate on your statement. It makes no sense to me.
Posted By: WAM Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/09/21

Dipchitt

^^^^^^^ WINNER, WINNER!
Posted By: lvmiker Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/09/21
If you already have a good rifle in 308 sell the neverbe. It will be more fun to practice with and a lot cheaper to shoot. If you don't practice much it probably doesn't matter...moose are pretty big.

mike r
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/09/21
I would never sell a Weatherby and be stuck with only a .308!!!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/09/21
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I would never sell a Weatherby and be stuck with only a .308!!!

I like the 308 now, but I agree. For shots I've made, I'd feel a lot more comfortable using the wby.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/09/21
For set it and forget it.

this
Posted By: gunzo Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/10/21
Still on the 300 Weath?

Well, my only Leupold failure, a 3.5-10. But once repaired it held up fine. A decent Elk filled the freezer.

The 300? A 180 NPT @3200. Fine wine right there.
Posted By: specneeds Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/10/21
My 300 Weatherby put my beloved 7mm on the bench for elk hunting based on down ranges results. When our elk hunting group saw results it has now benched 3 other rifles that were first string a 30-06, 7mm & even a 300 Win mag.

Mine has a Zeiss conquest HD5 3-15x50 with a Z800 reticle that matches the rifles trajectory all the way out to 800 yards tested many times every year. We hunt open country most of the time average shot right at 300 yards & I like the speed of the reticle vs dialing. But sighted in at 225 yards with a 180 grain Barnes TTSX everything under 325 is point & shoot so dialing & reticle aren’t really necessary. Zeiss, Leupold, Burris, Meopta 2-10 or similar will work fine.

I’d spend $700 for a demo Zeiss V4 from Redhawk rifles mounted in good rings and be good until it was time to give it to a grandson. Or call Doug at Cameraland & get best bang for your $400 recommendation.
Posted By: bman940 Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/10/21
Check out the Meopta Optika5 2-10 or 3-15x44. They are built tough and can take the recoil. I have a 3-15x44 on my .300 Win and after a bog of shells under it this past year hog hunting, zero issues. The Optika5's can be thought to find, maybe Doug at CLNY can help you out?
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/10/21
Those talking bad about the 300 wby probably never owned one. They are usually more powerful than you need. But they are impressive. Hasbeen
Posted By: lvmiker Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/10/21
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Those talking bad about the 300 wby probably never owned one. They are usually more powerful than you need. But they are impressive. Hasbeen

I wonder how many of those owners routinely shoot 100 or more rounds in a day. I have found that the more I shoot, the better I shoot. Some folks are just naturals.

mike r
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/10/21
I can't see the point in a .308 of shooting one hundred rounds a day... Shooting is good practice, but I don't have to shoot my .300 every day to be a good shot with it... A guy I am friends with built a long range .300 Wea. probably close 30 years ago.. He worked up his loads, tried them to long range and has been using it ever since.. He makes some long shots on big game.. Off season he uses a .223 and .22-250.. Shooting to practice breathing, trigger control, etc is great.. Shifting to a larger rifle never made a large difference to me.. Also maybe some folks need to practice because the are naturally poor shots.
Posted By: yobuck Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/10/21
Leupold 3.5-10x40

^^^This^^^^

Plus 2
Posted By: 4th_point Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/10/21
Originally Posted by Fotis

this

I've wondered about that scope, based on the positive reviews of the 2-7x and 3-9x here. Have you used many of them, and on what rifles? I'm interested in what you've seen.
Posted By: hanco Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/10/21
Originally Posted by yobuck
Leupold 3.5-10x40

^^^This^^^^

Plus 2

Plus 3. For 400.00. I have 4.5x14’s in my two 330 Weatherby’s
Posted By: buttstock Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/11/21
* Leupold M8 3x, long-tube Leupold M8 4x.
* Bausch & Lomb 4x scope.
* Don't laugh, but also consider a Weaver 3x or 4x micro-trac scope.

Reasons:
1) Plenty of magnification for big game hunting to 400+ yards.
You stated you rarely shoot long range, so likely your shot will be under 200 yards, which puts even more reasoning for these scope options.

2) Generous eye-relief (4 inches) for your 300 Weatherby.

Apply to money saved from your $400 scope budget, and buy the best 8x -10x binoculars you can afford. You will use them a WHOLE LOT more than your rifle scope on a hunt. Your eyes will thank you afterwards.

KISS method.
Posted By: WAM Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/11/21
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

I wonder how many of those owners routinely shoot 100 or more rounds in a day. I have found that the more I shoot, the better I shoot. Some folks are just naturals.

mike r

While I’m not particularly recoil sensitive, I don’t run out and shoot 100’s of rounds in my .300 Weatherby to “practice”. I have a .257 Roberts set up same LOP, same weight trigger pull, same scope height, reticle, etc that I shoot way more often. Shooting another scoped rifle hones skills of breathing control, sight picture, hold, etc. Saves unobtainium powder and expensive premium bullets along the way.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/11/21
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by Fotis

this

I've wondered about that scope, based on the positive reviews of the 2-7x and 3-9x here. Have you used many of them, and on what rifles? I'm interested in what you've seen.

Yes. 300 mags 7mm rem mag etc. Never an issue
Posted By: 4th_point Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/11/21
Thanks, Fotis.
Posted By: Dre Re: 300 Weatherby - 07/11/21
I’m more of a 2.5-10 fan. But not too many options In 400$ range.
The vx3i in 3.5-10 is next best thing for you.
Zero at 200 and you should be gold to go
© 24hourcampfire