Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Leupold 3.5-10x40

This is what I have on my Mark v deluxe in 300 wby. A VX3i 4.5-14 x40 would work for me as well.

Last edited by Boarmaster123; 07/08/21.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JDK

Thanks Bugger. I drew a cow only tag and am leaning towards using my 308 if I don’t get the 300 set up.

I’m also leaning toward a Burris for that rifle if I buy new. Was looking for a Meopro 6x.

The 308 will work. The 300 Weatherby will give you more range, but the fact that I won't take extra long shots, it may be a moot point for me. I have a cow tag this year in WY. I'm not sure what I'll be taking. The area is pretty open, it has some deep ravines and is hilly. I'm expecting longer shots maybe my only choice.

I just bought a new 308. I've had a few over the years, but this is my only 308 now and have not broken it in yet. If I were to take it hunting elk, I'd probably look at 165 grain Nosler partitions.

I've written/said this before, but the terrain and the likelihood of the range you'll be shooting, in my opinion, makes a lot of difference! There's no need for a 500 yard cartridge/rifle if you're hunting in thick woods. Carrying a light carbine where your likely going to be shooting a longer distance may not be the best choice either.

My favorite scope for deer, antelope and elk is a fixed 6x, unless it's in thick woods then maybe a 4x. But fixed power scopes that I like are harder to find than variables and I'm afraid that I've succumbed to the dreaded variable. My pre-64 300 H&H has a 6x M8 Leupold and it might be the one I'll take this year.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ever tell the story the time me and a bud went to kodiak on a bear hunt and i used a leupold scope. Hell we both used (don’t tell anyone) leupold QD rings. I know it’s a gd miracle we lived.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by DingoDuk
Sell the 300 Ratherby and use the funds to buy a good scope for something worth asking about.

Dipchitt

I concur.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
W
W
Originally Posted by Ringman
Sell the 300 Ratherby and use the funds to buy a good scope for something worth asking about.

Dipchitt

I concur.

Lol you just got done telling everyone about a couple of TASCOS that you have on your weatherby’s... you don’t have any room to talk

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WindowLicker308

Dipchitt

I concur.

Lol you just got done telling everyone about a couple of TASCOS that you have on your weatherby’s... you don’t have any room to talk

Call Dr and get your meds checked.

W
W

Dipchitt

I concur.

Call Dr and get your meds checked.

Just did. He says I’m good to go! In all seriousness though, those tascos probably do hold up better than something like say, a Leupold...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dipchitt

I concur.

I know I'm not real smart. So maybe you could elaborate on your statement. It makes no sense to me.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Dipchitt

^^^^^^^ WINNER, WINNER!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you already have a good rifle in 308 sell the neverbe. It will be more fun to practice with and a lot cheaper to shoot. If you don't practice much it probably doesn't matter...moose are pretty big.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I would never sell a Weatherby and be stuck with only a .308!!!

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I would never sell a Weatherby and be stuck with only a .308!!!

I like the 308 now, but I agree. For shots I've made, I'd feel a lot more comfortable using the wby.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For set it and forget it.

this

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Still on the 300 Weath?

Well, my only Leupold failure, a 3.5-10. But once repaired it held up fine. A decent Elk filled the freezer.

The 300? A 180 NPT @3200. Fine wine right there.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My 300 Weatherby put my beloved 7mm on the bench for elk hunting based on down ranges results. When our elk hunting group saw results it has now benched 3 other rifles that were first string a 30-06, 7mm & even a 300 Win mag.

Mine has a Zeiss conquest HD5 3-15x50 with a Z800 reticle that matches the rifles trajectory all the way out to 800 yards tested many times every year. We hunt open country most of the time average shot right at 300 yards & I like the speed of the reticle vs dialing. But sighted in at 225 yards with a 180 grain Barnes TTSX everything under 325 is point & shoot so dialing & reticle aren’t really necessary. Zeiss, Leupold, Burris, Meopta 2-10 or similar will work fine.

I’d spend $700 for a demo Zeiss V4 from Redhawk rifles mounted in good rings and be good until it was time to give it to a grandson. Or call Doug at Cameraland & get best bang for your $400 recommendation.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Check out the Meopta Optika5 2-10 or 3-15x44. They are built tough and can take the recoil. I have a 3-15x44 on my .300 Win and after a bog of shells under it this past year hog hunting, zero issues. The Optika5's can be thought to find, maybe Doug at CLNY can help you out?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those talking bad about the 300 wby probably never owned one. They are usually more powerful than you need. But they are impressive. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Those talking bad about the 300 wby probably never owned one. They are usually more powerful than you need. But they are impressive. Hasbeen

I wonder how many of those owners routinely shoot 100 or more rounds in a day. I have found that the more I shoot, the better I shoot. Some folks are just naturals.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I can't see the point in a .308 of shooting one hundred rounds a day... Shooting is good practice, but I don't have to shoot my .300 every day to be a good shot with it... A guy I am friends with built a long range .300 Wea. probably close 30 years ago.. He worked up his loads, tried them to long range and has been using it ever since.. He makes some long shots on big game.. Off season he uses a .223 and .22-250.. Shooting to practice breathing, trigger control, etc is great.. Shifting to a larger rifle never made a large difference to me.. Also maybe some folks need to practice because the are naturally poor shots.

Molon Labe
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Leupold 3.5-10x40

^^^This^^^^

Plus 2

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, Anaconda, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,411
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.