Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
JDK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Was given a German Weatherby in 300 Wea. Looking for a scope at, let’s say under $400. Don’t twist and rarely shoot long range. Going on a moose hunt this Fall but wasn’t planning to use it if I can’t get it set up. Thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leupold 3.5-10x40

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You are going to go way over $400 for a quality scope that will tolerate .300 Bee recoil unless you go with a Burris Fullfield II or a Sightron S-II, both of which have good internals but not alpha glass. I have a Sightron S-II 3-9x42 that has been solid on testing hard kicking rifles. There are many good scopes that will tolerate Creedmoors and the like.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Sell the 300 Ratherby and use the funds to buy a good scope for something worth asking about.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Leupold 3.5-10x40

^^^This^^^^

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had too much trouble with many brands of scopes before I went to Alaska. That includes Swarovski. From pasts experience I knew Tasco World Class could handle the recoil so both the .300 Weatherby and the .375-8 Rem Mag had Tasco 4-16X scopes. It's been a few years so I don't know how good the new ones are.

If you could find a used Bushnell 4200 4-16X you would not have any trouble with it holding up to a .300 Weatherby.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a 3.5 x10 x40 on mine and it has been fine. It may come apart on the next shot but it has been mounted several years with no problems. The 2 Leupolds I own that failed had been hunted with for 20 years each. I sent them back for repair and am using them again.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Had no troubles with a 2-7x Burris FFII on a Weatherby Vanguard .300, using 200-grain bullets at 3000 fps.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 300 weatherby is fitted with a meopta meopro 4-12 x 50 with talley one piece rings. I've probably only shot one box of factory shells. So ymmv.

PS I don't dial and turn and do all this stuff with my scopes. I sight them, and shoot them at 50, 100, and 200 yards to make sure I can hit the game they are matched with and leave it at that.

-John

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
My 300 weatherby is fitted with a meopta meopro 4-12 x 50 with talley one piece rings. I've probably only shot one box of factory shells. So ymmv.

PS I don't dial and turn and do all this stuff with my scopes. I sight them, and shoot them at 50, 100, and 200 yards to make sure I can hit the game they are matched with and leave it at that.

-John

I have had a 300 Wby. since the mid 60's. I have a Leupold 3x9 mounted on it. I had a load I always used but decided to try some Barnes bullets. I needed a sight adjustment to get the Barnes to zero but the old Leupold would not adjust. I sent it back to Leupold.

Their technician called me. He told me the reason the scope would not adjust was because I had not moved the crosshairs in years and the springs set. He recommended moving the adjustment knob once in a while so they would not set again. That old Leupold is still working great!

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by FWP

-John

I have had a 300 Wby. since the mid 60's. I have a Leupold 3x9 mounted on it. I had a load I always used but decided to try some Barnes bullets. I needed a sight adjustment to get the Barnes to zero but the old Leupold would not adjust. I sent it back to Leupold.

Their technician called me. He told me the reason the scope would not adjust was because I had not moved the crosshairs in years and the springs set. He recommended moving the adjustment knob once in a while so they would not set again. That old Leupold is still working great!

They have every excuse in the book.. I run a 3-9 Zeiss on mine..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It adjusts just fine:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DingoDuk
Sell the 300 Ratherby and use the funds to buy a good scope for something worth asking about.

Tsk, tsk, you belted magnum hating douche nozzle.

😝🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You should probably take that target pic down. There is this guy that runs around yapping about groups not being centered on the target, something about why waste time posting sh it like that.

He’ll probably yap his gums about 3 shot groups not meaning sh it as well.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by FWP

-John

It adjusts just fine:

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
And the little man chimes in......

Originally Posted by SLM
You should probably take that target pic down. There is this guy that runs around yapping about groups not being centered on the target, something about why waste time posting sh it like that.

He’ll probably yap his gums about 3 shot groups not meaning sh it as well.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by FWP

-John

It adjusts just fine:

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
In your price range, the Leupold 3.5x10 will probably work as a set and forget scope. I had a vari-x-III 3.5x10 on a 340wby for 30yrs that held zero through hundreds of rounds. Sadly, when Weatherby dropped the 210 Partition loading, I had to adjust point of impact for different loads….and that’s when the scope failed(I’ve since remounted the rebuilt scope on the 340). I also ran the same model scope on a matching 300wby for 15 years and never had a problem. I opted to put a Z3 3.5x10 on for the upgrade in glass(it continues to hold zero). However, in my experience neither the Z3 or Z5 scopes track reliably enough for dialing. I also had one Z3 that wouldn’t hold zero…..:(

Personally, I think your going to need to at least double or triple your budget if you plan to do any dialing but still want good optics. Although it doesn’t have years of history, my Tract Toric has great glass and tracks precisely……so far.

If I were putting together another long range rifle, I’d look for a LRHS 4.5x18i. Great glass, FFP, and reliable tracking. I view illumination as a necessity if you have to take a shot in dark timber at close range. Just my .02.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've been selling my VX-3's and VX-2's and buying Fullfield II's. I have a couple 300 Weatherby's and it was my choice for a moose hunt in Ontario. Unfortunately I only saw cows. Here's my load of choice.

300 Weatherby, 700 Classic, Nosler Partition - 200grain, Fed. 215, 78.2 grains of RE 26 - 0.66 MOA

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Mine wore a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 LRD in dual dovetail signature rings.

J
JDK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Bugger
I've been selling my VX-3's and VX-2's and buying Fullfield II's. I have a couple 300 Weatherby's and it was my choice for a moose hunt in Ontario. Unfortunately I only saw cows. Here's my load of choice.

300 Weatherby, 700 Classic, Nosler Partition - 200grain, Fed. 215, 78.2 grains of RE 26 - 0.66 MOA

Thanks Bugger. I drew a cow only tag and am leaning towards using my 308 if I don’t get the 300 set up.

I’m also leaning toward a Burris for that rifle if I buy new. Was looking for a Meopro 6x.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by DingoDuk

Dipchitt

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Leupold 3.5-10x40

^^^This^^^^

+1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1911a1, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,724
Posts18,514,268
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.