Home
Posted By: Live2hunt941 Chinese redfields - 09/06/21
Ugh. Saw a good looking redfield in academy the other day. 1-6 matte 30 mm tube decent price had to look at it. Glass looked got. Rolled it over and MADE IN CHINA. I JUST CANT DO THIS ... now my next thought was who has taken over the redfield name ???
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Chinese redfields - 09/06/21
The very store in which you saw it.
Posted By: g5m Re: Chinese redfields - 09/06/21
Their address seems to be Leupold's address still.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Chinese redfields - 09/06/21
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
Ugh. Saw a good looking redfield in academy the other day. 1-6 matte 30 mm tube decent price had to look at it. Glass looked got. Rolled it over and MADE IN CHINA. I JUST CANT DO THIS ... now my next thought was who has taken over the redfield name ???

Whttail is right.

ACADEMY bought the Redfield name. Seriously.

It’s gonna be their “house brand”.
Posted By: Rugies Re: Chinese redfields - 09/06/21
Acadeny bought Redfield brand from Leupold.
Posted By: Live2hunt941 Re: Chinese redfields - 09/06/21
I just can't seem to make myself buy one I don't own a Chinese scope for anything I have don't think I am starting anytime soon
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Chinese redfields - 09/06/21
Fuuck'em!
Posted By: erich Re: Chinese redfields - 09/06/21
As he types on his "Made in China" computer or phone.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Chinese redfields - 09/06/21
Another once highly regarded brand name goes down the dumper.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Chinese redfields - 09/06/21
Originally Posted by erich

Lame excuse. Sometimes you don't have a choice, sometimes you do. When you can, you do.

BIG DIFFERENCE FROM PUSHING BUTTONS ON A KEYBOARD OR TOUCHSCREEN VS TOUCHING A TRIGGER As most of us know we really don't have a choice I'm some Chinese made items but I damn sure do on my scopes Didn't mean to offend anyone who uses them I just will not be using one on any firearm I own
Oh yeah sorry about the I'm in the last post damn Chinese phone. lol Should have been IN
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Chinese redfields - 09/06/21

This is the "hunting optics" forums. Could care less where your computer, phone or your old ladys dil do came from. some things you have many choices and some you dont
When it comes to optics we have many choices. Some people need to wake up and pay attention to whats going on

Posted By: 5sdad Re: Chinese redfields - 09/06/21
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Lame excuse. Sometimes you don't have a choice, sometimes you do. When you can, you do.

Which bestows the right/duty to denigrate those who don't.
back to the reason I posted. I just can't trust a Chinese scope. They may be some that are. Dryer than others. But again I can't and won't go there
Posted By: akpls Re: Chinese redfields - 09/06/21
Some day you may get to see a Chinese soldier through your Chinese scope. Wouldn't that be ironic?
Posted By: erich Re: Chinese redfields - 09/06/21
Buying a an Athlon 2-12 scope, nearly perfect for open country coyote hunting over the only other two I could find Leupold and Swarovski saves me $1300 to $1500 or in other words 400-500 gallons of gas to be out hunting on and neither of the high priced ones will do anything more for me than the Athlon(a US owned company) will do. You can sit home and fondle your scopes, I'll be out hunting.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Chinese redfields - 09/06/21
US owned does not mean, Made in USA, with US labor.
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: Chinese redfields - 09/06/21
Redfield is dead to me.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Chinese redfields - 09/06/21
RED field.

China seems rather fitting
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Chinese redfields - 09/07/21

What are his options other than made in China computers or phones?
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Chinese redfields - 09/07/21
Buying a an Athlon 2-12 scope, nearly perfect for open country coyote hunting over the only other two I could find Leupold and Swarovski saves me $1300 to $1500 or in other words 400-500 gallons of gas to be out hunting on and neither of the high priced ones will do anything more for me than the Athlon(a US owned company) will do. You can sit home and fondle your scopes, I'll be out hunting.

There are plenty of similarly priced non-made in China options to that Athlon scope, but make whatever excuse you need to.
Posted By: scottfromdallas Re: Chinese redfields - 09/07/21

I thought this thread was going to be about Redfield Chines knockoffs on EBAY or Alibaba. I forgot Academy bought them.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Chinese redfields - 09/07/21
How did I miss this thread
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Chinese redfields - 09/07/21
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

I thought this thread was going to be about Redfield Chines knockoffs on EBAY or Alibaba. I forgot Academy bought them.

Looks like Academy decided to beat the counterfeiters to the punch and counterfeit them their own selves. laugh
Posted By: 65panhed Re: Chinese redfields - 09/20/21
IMO, RIP Redfield.
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: Chinese redfields - 09/21/21
Redfield dominated the market in the 1960’s and into the 70’s. So sad to see this from a once great name & product!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Chinese redfields - 09/21/21
C’mon guys, it’s a BRAND, for Pete’s sake, and one that’s been out of the game for what, 20 years?

Academy is probably using them as Boomer Bait.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Chinese redfields - 09/21/21

Originally Posted by Pappy348
C’mon guys, it’s a BRAND, for Pete’s sake, and one that’s been out of the game for what, 20 years?

Most of us Boomers can afford high end German optics, we don't need no stinkin' Chinese scopes.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Chinese redfields - 09/21/21
Originally Posted by Borchardt

Originally Posted by Pappy348

Most of us Boomers can afford high end German optics, we don't need no stinkin' Chinese scopes.

I see I wasn’t clear.

To many in our (my) age bracket, Redfields were high-class glass, clearly better than Weaver, and maybe neck and neck with Leupolds of the era. Ain’t about money so much as nostalgia and old notions. And not all Boomers are well off, and some of us are still bemoaning stuff like dollar a box .22 ammo and nickel Cokes. Point being, someone not familiar with current optics manufacturing and prices and with fond memories of Denver Redfields might get all giddy at new ones appearing at the big box Huntin’ & Fishin’ emporium at prices in the neighborhood of the ones of the past, even though the two brands are about as closely connected as homo sapiens and the lemurs of Madagascar. I suspect that’s why they paid for the name instead of just contracting out for cheap glass they could put their own name on.

None for me thanks, and not another of the Leupold Redfields either while we’re at it.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Chinese redfields - 09/21/21
Very well said, Pappy. I share your sentiments.
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Chinese redfields - 09/21/21
No different than what Natchez has done with the Weaver Classics....bought the name rights and introduced their own line of scopes.

And they're not counterfeits.

A counterfeit item (verb, noun or adjective depending on it's use) is by definition something meant to appear identical to the real thing with deception being the intent.

Heck, they might be pretty decent scopes. The Natchez Weavers are. wink

Good shootin'. smile -Al
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Chinese redfields - 09/21/21
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
No different than what Natchez has done with the Weaver Classics....bought the name rights and introduced their own line of scopes.

And their not counterfeits.

A counterfeit item (verb, noun or adjective depending on it's use) is by definition something meant to appear identical to the real thing with deception being the intent.

Good shootin'. smile -Al

My understanding is that the new Weavers are made in Korea.
Posted By: jk16 Re: Chinese redfields - 09/21/21

Good shootin'. smile -Al

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Good shootin'. smile -Al

My understanding is that the new Weavers are made in Korea.

Correct.

Also, Natchez DID NOT buy the rights to the Weaver name.

The scopes sold by Natchez are a special build by Bushnell for Natchez to market exclusively- much the same as the special runs of guns that Ruger makes for Lispeys or TALO.
Posted By: LFC Re: Chinese redfields - 09/22/21
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Fuuck'em!

My sentimates exactly....add all the Asian made junk optics to the list.

We have the power to shut them all down....

I'd shoot a peep sight before I put an Asian product on one of my guns.
Posted By: dirtyharry Re: Chinese redfields - 09/27/21

Made In China---Means JUNK
© 24hourcampfire