Home
Posted By: DrDeath Fixed Power 4x scopes - 09/29/21
Does anyone make a quality fixed 4x40 or 4x42/44 scope anymore?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 09/29/21
Kaps makes a 4x36
Posted By: beretzs Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 09/29/21
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Kaps makes a 4x36

That’d be the one I’d go for.

https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/kaps-classic-4x36-rc-oc.html
Posted By: Youper Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 09/29/21
Kaps makes a 4x36

That's the only one left that I know of.
Posted By: glazer_1972 Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
I sure liked those Jap made Weaver K4 for a cheap scope. I now see they’re done.
Posted By: DrDeath Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
It’s crazy that the 4x40 scopes were so popular. And now. No more.

How were the old nikon 4x40?
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
Originally Posted by beretzs
Kaps makes a 4x36

It is excellent glass.
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
Originally Posted by DrDeath

Remember when 3 speed and reverse manual transmissions on the column where a thing
Posted By: Elvis Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
It's a real shame the Leupold 4x33 has gone as well as the 6x36. But the internet is full of long range shooters with big scopes shooting animals way out yonder and those big powered dialing scopes is what the buyers want now.

Maybe companies will do a special run of a certain scope every few years if enough of us complain. A bit like Ruger does with certain rifles. I've sent Leupold two emails over the loss of the 4x and 6x36 scopes. I hope other have too to let them know.
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
Originally Posted by Elvis
It's a real shame the Leupold 4x33 has gone as well as the 6x36. But the internet is full of long range shooters with big scopes shooting animals way out yonder and those big powered dialing scopes is what the buyers want now.

Maybe companies will do a special run of a certain scope every few years if enough of us complain. A bit like Ruger does with certain rifles. I've sent Leupold two emails over the loss of the 4x and 6x36 scopes. I hope other have too to let them know.

Yeah, right, maybe Holden will do a comemerative run of EHs with 3 on the tree and 70 bucks extra for a wireless
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
Originally Posted by Elvis
It's a real shame the Leupold 4x33 has gone as well as the 6x36.

There's enough used 4x Leupolds around to keep us going for a while. I have one of the old M8 4x on my 721 300H&H.

The later Japan made Weaver 4x is a nice scope, but tends to be a bit short for long actions depending on the mounts.
Posted By: LFC Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
Kaps makes a 4x36

That's a nice looking scope
Originally Posted by LFC
Kaps makes a 4x36

That's a nice looking scope

Indeed ..... I'd like have one for a FN-98. It would suit it nicely.
Posted By: LFC Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
The dials look like the old Zeiss/Jenna scopes.

Funny thing...most people would shoot better with a 4 power scope.
Posted By: Labman95 Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
"There's enough used 4x Leupolds around to keep us going for a while. I have one of the old M8 4x on my 721 300H&H."

I just picked up an M8-4X in mint condition with a set of rings at an auction for $150.00.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
I found a very nice M8 to be kinda-sorta period-correct on a circa 1960 custom FN .270. Paid $200, IIRC.
Posted By: Dusty246 Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
DrD, I have an older Nikon 4X on my BAR and it is very bright and similar to the Jap Weaver K4, K6 which I still hunt with. Brighter than much more expensive scopes. My humble opinion. Tight fit on my M70 30'06.
Posted By: dirtyharry Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21

All I used on my guns for years were 4 or 6 power Scopes.
Posted By: Youper Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21

I have one on a CZ550 in 7x57 that I used last year. No complaints at all. It is next to last version they made, and has a tube long enougth to mount on anything.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21

Have fifteen or so M8’s.
Posted By: erich Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
The only use I can see for a fixed 4x is for a kids scope so there isn't anything for them to fiddle with when things get a little boring for them.

I hunted with a fixed 4x a long time ago, once I got my first 1-4 variable you could never get me back into a fixed 4x. 1.5-6x40's make me smile also.

I have a very nice Weaver fixed 4.75x is anyone is interested.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
This is just a reprise of the fixed-6 story. If there was a market, that is a profitable, ongoing demand for these scopes, someone would step in and meet it. You can’t judge that demand by ebay sales or enthusiastic forum posts. Carrying deadwood in a product line increases overall costs, and you can’t expect a company to make stuff just because someone might want it someday.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
This is just a reprise of the fixed-6 story. If there was a market, that is a profitable, ongoing demand for these scopes, someone would step in and meet it. You can’t judge that demand by ebay sales or enthusiastic forum posts. Carrying deadwood in a product line increases overall costs, and you can’t expect a company to make stuff just because someone might want it someday.

Right on.
Posted By: HawaiiPD Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
I have ordered binos and scopes directly from Karl Kaps in Germany.

The 4x is so popular it takes a few weeks to deliver, I have two 4x and they are great. Better than my 4 x 36 Kahles.
Originally Posted by HawaiiPD

The 4x is so popular it takes a few weeks to deliver, I have two 4x and they are great. Better than my 4 x 36 Kahles.

Are they easy to deal with for shipping? I don't see any dealers here in Canada.
Posted By: HawaiiPD Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
They are easy to order from, I've made three orders, and all were delivered by on time. The website will help you, I've signed by for a custormer #.

Christmas 2019 they had a special deal for their 8 x 42 Roof prism binos, $300.00 USD + about $75.00 shipping. I got two of them and I also own the Zeiss FL 7 x 42 and the Leica Ultra Vid HD 7 x 42 and the Kaps is a
clear equal to my old eys. Color, clarity, object deal is close the the other Z + L at almost 2K each.

And I live on Oahu, Hawaii in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
^^ Thanks ^^
Posted By: djb Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
I have 3 of the Leupold fixed 4x's. A M8, FX, and and a long tube M8 on and old Husky '06. Light, mine have been durable, and really just nice scopes. The Weavers were nice too, wish I had bought more when they were closed out.
Posted By: fish30ought6 Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/04/21
i have a swift reliant 4x40 (south korea made with USA glass) on my .308 bolt gun. it has 4 inches of eye relief, is sharp edge to edge, view is flat and bright at sunset and sunup, and reticle is sharp. tracks perfectly. i'm one of those children at 70 years old who can't keep himself from piddling with variables. i like simple, and a 4x40 is dead simple, kind of like me ... smile
Posted By: beretzs Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by HawaiiPD

Are they easy to deal with for shipping? I don't see any dealers here in Canada.

Optics Trade is a cinch to work with. Nothing but great experience from those folks.
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by erich
The only use I can see for a fixed 4x is for a kids scope so there isn't anything for them to fiddle with when things get a little boring for them.

I hunted with a fixed 4x a long time ago, once I got my first 1-4 variable you could never get me back into a fixed 4x. 1.5-6x40's make me smile also.

I’d be very interested in that Weaver 4.75
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/05/21
The used market is your best bet. I have two M8-4X’s and have killed a ton of critters with them. For my needs and the ranges I typically shoot, they have worked wonderfully for years.
I do like the, long tubed M8’s and even the shorter ones work fine for me.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/05/21
I do like the, long tubed M8’s and even the shorter ones work fine for me.

That’s a nice rig! Be hard for me to pass that up at the LGS!
I used a long tubed M8 on my 458. Works fine there. That rifle tore up a 1.5x5 for no good reason.

Posted By: SuperCub Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/05/21
Here's a M8 4x on my 300H&H.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Good looking rifle SC.. that’s pretty classy looking.
Posted By: goalie Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by tankerjockey

I have one, there Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation model, and it's awesome
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/05/21
Good looking rifle SC.. that’s pretty classy looking.

Thanks .... To me, it just wouldn't look right topped with a matte VX3 3.5-10 in Talley LWs. smile
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/05/21
My four 4x scopes mounted. I sold the 660 350 mag to my BIL and the scope is on a M77 308 now.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/05/21
I have a couple of 4x40 Monarchs still going. Just about everything you could ask for in a scope.
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by goalie

I do as well and I want another.
Posted By: dirtyharry Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/05/21
Does anyone make a quality fixed 4x40 or 4x42/44 scope anymore?

I Wii Be Posting Some 4x Scopes in the next day or two
Some are new in box,s or like New.

Dirty Harry
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/05/21
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CDWG2...Q8KJN&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/Swift-SR653M...porting-goods&sr=1-3#customerReviews
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/06/21
Any idea where that Swift is made?? Lots of their stuff used to be Korean. Didn’t know, these days, and a price of $80 makes one wonder...
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/06/21
We are at the point not to be picky fella. They are lightweight so it ain’t China
Posted By: Seafire Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/06/21
Last time I was by Sportsman's Whorehouse, they had some rebadged Tasco/Simmons/Bushnell 4 power scopes sitting on the counter...

price was either $25 or $29.00

not even looking at the price, some of those things had decent glass ( at least for my imperfect eye sight), and they sure were tough scopes..
not much to screw up...

Ive got a couple of the old Simmon's Whitetail Scopes in 4 x 40... they had real good glass, and were pretty darn tough also...

My Leupold Straight power and Weaver Straight power scopes, either reside on 22s or some Lever Action these days....

Those Simmons were Philippine Made, the Leupold Beaverton OR made and the Weavers were Japanese made...

I've got a couple of Cabela's house brand 4 and 6 power scopes, and their glass wasn't bad and they seem to be tough scopes also...

I'm surprised on how many guys you see at the local range getting tuned up for hunting season which is now here for deer....

they have 6 x 24s on top.... you need one of those in today's world to take a 110 pound blacktail at 75 yards or so.
Posted By: FSJeeper Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by goalie
[quote=tankerjockey][quote=erich

I have the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation version of the 4.75 Weaver also. When Weaver came out with the 4.75 power version it was touted as being the best all-around power for a fixed power scope based on their research.
This version was excellent in all aspects and is an outstanding value if you can find them. I have mine on a Savage 99 in 300 Savage caliber.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/06/21
I think that if I kept with K4 Weavers my life would have been a lot simpler
Posted By: Dusty246 Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/06/21
I went back to them and love the 6 X big time.
Posted By: fish30ought6 Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/07/21
the swift 4x40 is made in south korea with USA-made glass, according to the company's site ...
Posted By: Bull64 Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/07/21
If you come across a Cabelas Alaskan Guide 4x44 take a closer look at it…
Posted By: Lyman3406 Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/12/21
Hello ,Do you think the optics are better than the leupold m8? I am looking at the kaps right now. Thanks !
Posted By: RGK Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/12/21
These were great scopes...late-model Lyman All-Americans in 4x. Made in the early 80's just before Lyman discontinued their optics line. Both have duplex reticles and bright, clear glass.
Bob

Posted By: cs2blue Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/14/21
I have a weaver K4 that I found at a yard sale for 25.00. It is unmounted at the current time. I will not sell it. A M8 4x has eluded me, meaning I have not stumbled into one at a killer price. Now they are sought out rifle scopes by those who know better.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/14/21
I have a NIB ( still shrink wrapped ) M8 4x gloss duplex.

But its an EER.

😔
Posted By: hookeye Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/14/21
Had a pretty clean M8 4x.compact for a few yrs.
But the ring/ base setup mandated a longer tube scope as my neck got worse.

Replaced w a 2-7x.

If I had a reg M8 4x that would have worked.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/15/21
K4's and K6's were my main scopes for years
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/15/21
Kiss principle more than a few straight 4x, 6x and low power variables around here.the clarity of the glass will make me pick a used Leupold over a weaver any day of the week. Mb
Posted By: hookeye Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/16/21
I had new and lightly used Weavers in the 70s And 80s and even then couldnt get wound up over em.

Cool old rigs....but thats about it according to my eyes.
I’ve a Kahles and S&B 4x scopes that have both been in for cleaning, etc. looking forward to trying them out in the near future. 4x is really on you need for 100-200yd shots.
Posted By: InternetGuru Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/20/21
I used to have a 4x S&B that I sold along with a rifle. I regret letting that one go, perfect scope for around here with shots rarely over 200 and usually closer to half that.

I doubt it functioned any better than a 3-9 but it looks clean on an older rifle.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by InternetGuru
I used to have a 4x S&B that I sold along with a rifle. I regret letting that one go, perfect scope for around here with shots rarely over 200 and usually closer to half that.

I doubt it functioned any better than a 3-9 but it looks clean on an older rifle.

Man, that’s one I’d like to have.
Posted By: FC363 Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/21/21
I grew up shooting my Dad's rifles and they all had 4x scopes on them. Never had any issues. Now all of my stuff is 3-9x or 4.5-14x. The only fixed scope I have is a Leupold 12x-40 AO that coincidentally my Dad gave me a few years ago. It's new home will be on my CZ .223. Used one older than mine on ebay right now for almost 250 and theres still time to bid on it. Will be curious to see what it goes for.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Fixed Power 4x scopes - 10/21/21
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
I’ve a Kahles and S&B 4x scopes that have both been in for cleaning, etc. looking forward to trying them out in the near future. 4x is really on you need for 100-200yd shots.

Have killed big game out to 450-500 yards with 4x scopes, back before we knew it wasn't possible. Have also killed big game at 350 with a receiver-mounted aperture sight and a front bead. If you understand the sight (of whatever design), and practice sufficiently, a lot more is possible that many hunters believe--especially these days.
© 24hourcampfire