Home
Posted By: TrapEd Lyman 10x perma center - 10/05/21
I have a really nice one on a 300 weatherby mag. that I just bought is it a scope that people are still interested in? Or do I just add it to my pile of interesting old stuff.
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: Lyman 10x perma center - 10/05/21
Those are cool “old stuff” and yes, some folks are still interested in them.
Posted By: erich Re: Lyman 10x perma center - 10/05/21
They make nice period correct scopes. Long time ago I had a non-permacenter 10x Lyman on my Savage 110S 308 for MS competition, it worked well.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Lyman 10x perma center - 10/05/21
TrapEd: First off welcome to the CampFire - I hope you enjoy your visits here-on.
I have owned and used several Lyman Perma-Center scopes over the last few decades and they have worked well for me.
I just checked my on-line inventory and it appears I am down to just two Lyman Perma-Centers now.
They are both 10 power scopes and both on Remington Rifles in caliber 222 Remington (one 700 Classic and one 722).
I would be interested to know if that 10 power Lyman of yours has "held up" (still functions correctly) after being on that 300 Weatherby Magnum!
I say keep it on hand for a future "need".
They seem to garner a lot of interest at gunshows and command modest prices.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: hanco Re: Lyman 10x perma center - 10/06/21
I got one on a rifle a couple of years ago, no problem selling it in the classifieds.
Posted By: TrapEd Re: Lyman 10x perma center - 10/06/21
Thanks VarmintGuy the gentleman I purchased it from was the original owner of both the gun and the scope he claimed to have only fired one box shells through it he included a target with a four shot 1.250 group.
Posted By: JimH Re: Lyman 10x perma center - 10/07/21
Great scopes,but a little short on eye relief-might want to watch that Weatherby!
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Lyman 10x perma center - 10/07/21
TrapEd: You are most welcome.
I have a friend with a pair of 300 Weatherby Rifles he Hunts Elk with.
He asks "me" every year to double check their sight-in - and I dread it!
He won't say so but I am sure he has become tired of the sharp and painful (to me anyway!) recoil of those Rifles.
Yes I think that 10 power Lyman would give you better service/results on a lesser recoiling Rifle - like a Varmint Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: TrapEd Re: Lyman 10x perma center - 10/08/21
VarmintGuy I have Browning A bolt in 338 win mag. I bought it at an estate sale along with a couple of boxs of 250 grain Federal safari loads. The gun and scope are a lot lighter than any other Rifle I own except for a couple of Winchester lever actions. I ran out to the range in July and suffered some serious shoulder pain. My son thoughtI was being a -ussy until he shot what he now refers to as that miserable -itch. I fully expect it to be similar. I'm hoping to cone up with a load that isn't quite so rough. I saw a guy at a pre deer season gun sight in bounce one off this forehead he need a bunch of stitches and probably some therapy afterwards.
Posted By: buttstock Re: Lyman 10x perma center - 10/08/21
I have an 8x Lyman All-American Permacenter scope (Adj Obj), with a 1 MOA dot reticle. It has very good glass. I had it on my Rem 700 VS 22-250 (my woodchuck gun). The resolution is so good on this scope, that I could honestly see the wetness of a woodchuck's eye at near 400 yards. I sent it to Parsons Optical many years ago to have him put target turrents on both the windage and elevation.

Lyman made them with target turrents ( and AO) back in the 1970's (1980s?) for the silhouette market in 6x, 8x, and 10x., named "SL" for silhouette. They were well-regarded for their glass quality and repeatable tracking for that application.

I like the scope a great deal. The only drawback to it, as I understand, is that the intersection of the tube and the rear of the front objective bell is threaded, and therefore not as strong as a 1-piece tube/objective bell design. I haven't had a lick of trouble with my 8x Lyman. It tracks spot on, and never gives any eye-strain from constant long days of constant chuck-watching through the scope

In short, it has been a great scope for me.
Posted By: sagerat22 Re: Lyman 10x perma center - 10/09/21
I have that same scope on a CZ 452 American in .22LR. It's one of my favorite ground squirrel rifles. Every once in awhile I think about changing it out with one of the myriad of Leupolds in my stash. After pondering what I'd replace it with, I always decide the same thing, why, it works great, and looks great so I'll just keep it on the gun.
Posted By: Lyman3406 Re: Lyman 10x perma center - 10/11/21
I have a few of those scopes and love them ,as another poster said ,they are a little short on eye relief , are you going to keep it or purchase something else?
Posted By: TrapEd Re: Lyman 10x perma center - 10/14/21
I am going to replace it on that gun with a vortex I probably will sell it.
Posted By: Lyman3406 Re: Lyman 10x perma center - 11/10/21
I would be interested if you are going to sell.
© 24hourcampfire