Print Thread
Hop To
T
TrapEd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have a really nice one on a 300 weatherby mag. that I just bought is it a scope that people are still interested in? Or do I just add it to my pile of interesting old stuff.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Those are cool “old stuff” and yes, some folks are still interested in them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They make nice period correct scopes. Long time ago I had a non-permacenter 10x Lyman on my Savage 110S 308 for MS competition, it worked well.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
TrapEd: First off welcome to the CampFire - I hope you enjoy your visits here-on.
I have owned and used several Lyman Perma-Center scopes over the last few decades and they have worked well for me.
I just checked my on-line inventory and it appears I am down to just two Lyman Perma-Centers now.
They are both 10 power scopes and both on Remington Rifles in caliber 222 Remington (one 700 Classic and one 722).
I would be interested to know if that 10 power Lyman of yours has "held up" (still functions correctly) after being on that 300 Weatherby Magnum!
I say keep it on hand for a future "need".
They seem to garner a lot of interest at gunshows and command modest prices.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I got one on a rifle a couple of years ago, no problem selling it in the classifieds.

IC B2

T
TrapEd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks VarmintGuy the gentleman I purchased it from was the original owner of both the gun and the scope he claimed to have only fired one box shells through it he included a target with a four shot 1.250 group.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Great scopes,but a little short on eye relief-might want to watch that Weatherby!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
TrapEd: You are most welcome.
I have a friend with a pair of 300 Weatherby Rifles he Hunts Elk with.
He asks "me" every year to double check their sight-in - and I dread it!
He won't say so but I am sure he has become tired of the sharp and painful (to me anyway!) recoil of those Rifles.
Yes I think that 10 power Lyman would give you better service/results on a lesser recoiling Rifle - like a Varmint Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
TrapEd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
VarmintGuy I have Browning A bolt in 338 win mag. I bought it at an estate sale along with a couple of boxs of 250 grain Federal safari loads. The gun and scope are a lot lighter than any other Rifle I own except for a couple of Winchester lever actions. I ran out to the range in July and suffered some serious shoulder pain. My son thoughtI was being a -ussy until he shot what he now refers to as that miserable -itch. I fully expect it to be similar. I'm hoping to cone up with a load that isn't quite so rough. I saw a guy at a pre deer season gun sight in bounce one off this forehead he need a bunch of stitches and probably some therapy afterwards.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have an 8x Lyman All-American Permacenter scope (Adj Obj), with a 1 MOA dot reticle. It has very good glass. I had it on my Rem 700 VS 22-250 (my woodchuck gun). The resolution is so good on this scope, that I could honestly see the wetness of a woodchuck's eye at near 400 yards. I sent it to Parsons Optical many years ago to have him put target turrents on both the windage and elevation.

Lyman made them with target turrents ( and AO) back in the 1970's (1980s?) for the silhouette market in 6x, 8x, and 10x., named "SL" for silhouette. They were well-regarded for their glass quality and repeatable tracking for that application.

I like the scope a great deal. The only drawback to it, as I understand, is that the intersection of the tube and the rear of the front objective bell is threaded, and therefore not as strong as a 1-piece tube/objective bell design. I haven't had a lick of trouble with my 8x Lyman. It tracks spot on, and never gives any eye-strain from constant long days of constant chuck-watching through the scope

In short, it has been a great scope for me.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have that same scope on a CZ 452 American in .22LR. It's one of my favorite ground squirrel rifles. Every once in awhile I think about changing it out with one of the myriad of Leupolds in my stash. After pondering what I'd replace it with, I always decide the same thing, why, it works great, and looks great so I'll just keep it on the gun.

To ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.
NRA Benefactor Member
L
L
I have a few of those scopes and love them ,as another poster said ,they are a little short on eye relief , are you going to keep it or purchase something else?

T
TrapEd Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I am going to replace it on that gun with a vortex I probably will sell it.

L
L
I would be interested if you are going to sell.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (219 Wasp, 1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,147
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.