Home
Posted By: Sakohunter264 GPO scopes - 10/28/21
Hello friends. I’m interested in knowing your thoughts on the GPO brand scopes? Really like the looks of the standard Plex and German reticles. Thx.
Posted By: shelton573 Re: GPO scopes - 10/29/21
A buddy of mine bought the passion 3 6-18x50 for his prairie dog AR. Very clear optics and very good finish. He said it is easy on the eye sitting behind it all day prairie dog hunting.

Their customer service is great as well. He put his rifle in a gun vise and while tightening it down, it flipped forward and came out of the vise landing turret down down on the concrete. Broke the turret but the rest of the scope was fine. He called them and told them exactly what happened. They replaced the scope no questions asked.
Posted By: jimmy3 Re: GPO scopes - 10/29/21
Go Tigers
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: GPO scopes - 10/30/21
I have 2 Passion 3x 4-12's. Bought one and liked well enough to buy another one.
Posted By: rj308 Re: GPO scopes - 10/30/21
I have a Passion 3x9 w/illuminated #4 reticle. I just got it mounted, seems like a very solid scope, but do not have any experience with using it yet. The #4 has quite a bit of distance between the center and the wide bars of the reticle, but it was acceptable to me because it has an illuminated dot. It is mounted on my Browning X-Bolt .223 and I plan to use it for shooting predators. RJ
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: GPO scopes - 10/30/21
A buddy of mine is Arizona is a product tester for them, he's not on this forum.

On a coues hunt a couple years ago, they were doing top and bottom (side by side but vertical) comparisons with top of the line stuff and were VERY impressed.
Posted By: CORDrew Re: GPO scopes - 10/30/21
Where are these made? Japan? Pretty sure it is not Germany...

I'm interested in the 1.5-9x32
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: GPO scopes - 10/30/21
Originally Posted by CORDrew

Designed and quality control checked in Germany, made in China
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: GPO scopes - 10/30/21
Originally Posted by magshooter1
I have 2 Passion 3x 4-12's. Bought one and liked well enough to buy another one.

Where are the Passions made?
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: GPO scopes - 10/30/21
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by magshooter1

Where are the Passions made?

Phillipines
Posted By: baldhunter Re: GPO scopes - 10/30/21
I have one of the Passion 3x 4-12.Everytime I put my rifle to my shoulder to look through that scope it's like somebody turned the lights on.That scope is really clear and "bright".I'd buy another.
Posted By: GreggH Re: GPO scopes - 10/31/21
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

Doug
Which ones are made in China? I thought they were made in Japan.

GreggH
Posted By: LFC Re: GPO scopes - 10/31/21
Another Asian made schitt scope...
Posted By: BobbyTomek Re: GPO scopes - 10/31/21
Originally Posted by LFC

Just how many GPS scopes have you tried and compared against others? Or are you --once again -- just regurgitating hogwash for the sake of argument and bumping your post count?

The Japanese-made Passion 6x 2.5-15x56 that I had either equaled or outperformed scopes costing twice as much in terms of resolution and other critical optical comparisons. And -- just based on glass performance alone -- was one of THE best low-light scopes I have ever tried.

But hey, stick to your unsubstantiated vitriol and keep smiling...
Posted By: DugE Re: GPO scopes - 11/01/21
I have a Passion 3-12x56. Very clear and bright in low light. Nice fit and finish. I own alpha German scopes. But I’m very pleased with the GPO.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: GPO scopes - 11/01/21
We have been doing more and more with GPO and we've been getting exceptional feedback from the end users.
We are working on putting together some great opportunities on some GPO scopes, binoculars and rangefinders for the year end. Stay tuned or give a call, thanks
Posted By: hookeye Re: GPO scopes - 11/01/21
Price and area of manufacture.....may not mix well w some folks.

That may or may not have anything to do with actual product quality or performance.

Have only checked out one GPO and it seemed pretty nice.

With the Steiner GS being made in CO, Zeiss Conquest in Japan....a "German" scope not made in Germany seems to be the new norm.

Originally Posted by GreggH
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

Doug
Which ones are made in China? I thought they were made in Japan.

GreggH

The Spectra 6x's & GPOTAC & Passion HD binoculars are Japan
Posted By: pabucktail Re: GPO scopes - 11/01/21
It would be nice if they made a scope that weighed less than 1lb, without illumination, maybe with a more trustworthy sounding name than "passion".
The SPECTRA 1-6 is 16.9 oz , 1-8 17.8 oz
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: GPO scopes - 11/01/21
Pretty proud prices for an unknown, unproven brand.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: GPO scopes - 11/01/21
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Never owned one but I know people that do and no complaints ever. They are priced from the 400's to low 1k. I would like a 1inch tube 42mm objective for my 257 Wby.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: GPO scopes - 11/02/21
Saw one for $1500... that's dang near Nightforce money.
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: GPO scopes - 11/02/21
I thought I read somewhere that the guys who founded GPO were originally from the same folks that made Zeiss or Meopta and that they were using similar specs to zeiss in terms of glass quality and popular features. Someone on here may know more. But if the price were right, I would take a chance on the lower end stuff. Looking forward to what Doug at Camera Land could work out for "holiday specials".
Posted By: BobbyTomek Re: GPO scopes - 11/02/21

The "brand" didn't just show up yesterday. Five full years in a highly-competitive market is nothing to sneeze at.
Posted By: gr8fuldoug Re: GPO scopes - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I thought I read somewhere that the guys who founded GPO were originally from the same folks that made Zeiss or Meopta and that they were using similar specs to zeiss in terms of glass quality and popular features. Someone on here may know more. But if the price were right, I would take a chance on the lower end stuff. Looking forward to what Doug at Camera Land could work out for "holiday specials".

The 2 head guys at GPO are the Ex-President of Zeiss USA and an Ex top player at Swarovski. As a member here every day you call us is a holiday so give a call to discuss what you're looking for

Originally Posted by BobbyTomek

The "brand" didn't just show up yesterday. Five full years in a highly-competitive market is nothing to sneeze at.

Exactly Bobby

99% of sportsman have never heard of them, including people on this forum.
Posted By: hookeye Re: GPO scopes - 11/02/21
Theyve popped up in the magazines and videos but arent marketed as strongly as other brands IMHO.

Youd think Vortex was the best thing since sliced bread if you went by amount of marketing.
Posted By: Starbuck Re: GPO scopes - 11/02/21
They may well be great optics. But you do have to admit that, given where they're made, a name like German Precision Optics does have an Orewellian doublespeak quality to it. At the very least, it's reminiscent of a vehicle, real estate, or infomercial salesman saying whatever they can to get you to buy. Clearly it's a marketing schtick. Personally, I haven't had the best luck with Swaro in the past, so it's probably for the best that they're likely peddling similar Asiatic designs and componentry as many other brands that have a reputation for toughness.

So many optics companies these days spew the same hackneyed assertions of how their products are diametrically different than other brands that rolled out of the same factory because of higher QC, or engineering, or specs, etc, etc, etc. I find it difficult to believe that these optics factories are actually manufacturing that many different sets of erector parts, tubes, and lenses. There'd be no economy of scale, which would defeat the purpose of having your scopes mass produced offshore in the first place.

I'd like to see someone get their shipment of scopes off the slow boat from China and openly market them as such.You could come up with a ton of pithy slogans to make your brand memorable. Something like "Chicom Optics - We know you'd rather not, but likely will anyway".

Maybe such honesty would resonate with buyers.
They sell Osprey at the gunshows LOL
Posted By: Darryle Re: GPO scopes - 11/02/21
Y'all are worse then women arguing about shoes, 'cept I kinda care about this subject
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: GPO scopes - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by Starbuck
They may well be great optics. But you do have to admit that, given where they're made, a name like German Precision Optics does have an Orewellian doublespeak quality to it. At the very least, it's reminiscent of a vehicle, real estate, or infomercial salesman saying whatever they can to get you to buy. Clearly it's a marketing schtick. Personally, I haven't had the best luck with Swaro in the past, so it's probably for the best that they're likely peddling similar Asiatic designs and componentry as many other brands that have a reputation for toughness.

So many optics companies these days spew the same hackneyed assertions of how their products are diametrically different than other brands that rolled out of the same factory because of higher QC, or engineering, or specs, etc, etc, etc. I find it difficult to believe that these optics factories are actually manufacturing that many different sets of erector parts, tubes, and lenses. There'd be no economy of scale, which would defeat the purpose of having your scopes mass produced offshore in the first place.

I'd like to see someone get their shipment of scopes off the slow boat from China and openly market them as such.You could come up with a ton of pithy slogans to make your brand memorable. Something like "Chicom Optics - We know you'd rather not, but likely will anyway".

Scopes are designed either in Germany or the US and get manufactured in Japan or China according to specs given to OEM suppliers. What exactly is dishonest about that?

link to what they do

99% of sportsman have never heard of them, including people on this forum.

I never heard of Tract scopes until they were talked about here.
Posted By: Starbuck Re: GPO scopes - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Scopes are designed either in Germany or the US and get manufactured in Japan or China according to specs given to OEM suppliers. What exactly is dishonest about that?

link to what they do

It's not technically dishonest. And as far as I know, they're not trying to hide the coo. But it is at least a little deliberately misleading that a company named German Precision Optics offers only Asiatic product. German Inspired Optics might be more appropriate.

As far as each optics brand independently "engineering" or "designing" or "specifying" completely disparate components from their competitors, I highly doubt that is how it goes. There just isn't enough volume for each brand to spec completely different componentry than other units made in the same factories. You get to pick the name that's roll stamped or printed on it and the CS that brand offers. But, if people want to believe that thier optics were engineered by former special forces members from Montana who are now hunting guides with PHd's in various optics related fields and are, therefore, completely different and much better than another brand that rolled off the same production lines, more power to them.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

link to what they do

Why would designed here, but built there be a selling point? Why would I care about what desk the engineer was sitting at? China is all about quantity over quality. That's not even debatable.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: GPO scopes - 11/02/21
If I have to buy Asian, I would rather buy from a country that is an ally of ours, not someone who wants to overpower us.
China is about making money

Tighter tolerances and better materials just adds cost.

They will build whatever you want.
Posted By: stevevan1 Re: GPO scopes - 11/02/21
I don't have any GPO rifle scopes but I do have their 8x50 RF bino's I bought from Doug and am impressed. This is from a guy who has had Zeiss, Leica, and Sig Sauer. Dollar for dollar they are a great value.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: GPO scopes - 11/02/21
Just a couple of comments about GPO. They are not all China junk. All the ones I have seen have been Phillipine.

It is a bit misleading that their name is German Precision Optics. It can confuse those who just buy a name. When I first saw one at a LGS, I asked the young salesman where they are made. He looked at me like I was the dumbest person on earth and said,"Germany." I said I highly doubt that and I asked to see it, flipped it over and it clearly stated "Made in the Phillipines." I told him he ought to know a more about products he sells. I bought one a few weeks later just to try. I have been impressed. It is not up to Swarovski standards though.
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Just a couple of comments about GPO. They are not all China junk. All the ones I have seen have been Phillipine.

It is a bit misleading that their name is German Precision Optics. It can confuse those who just buy a name. When I first saw one at a LGS, I asked the young salesman where they are made. He looked at me like I was the dumbest person on earth and said,"Germany." I said I highly doubt that and I asked to see it, flipped it over and it clearly stated "Made in the Phillipines." I told him he ought to know a more about products he sells. I bought one a few weeks later just to try. I have been impressed. It is not up to Swarovski standards though.

They make or made some models in Japan as well.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: GPO scopes - 11/03/21
i just bought one of the GPO passion 4-12x42 models to put on my 280 i havent had a chance to get to the range yet but i can say that the glass is incredibly bright for the cost I was coparing it with my vx5 around duk last ingth and couldn't believe how dark out it was and I could still pick out the reticle against tree branhes 90 yards away
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: GPO scopes - 11/03/21
They have some interesting stuff but you never know what they got made contract to contract whereas you have a good idea of what Leupold is going to be. Asian prices are getting high enough to make it not worth the gamble.
Posted By: MegaVinn Re: GPO scopes - 11/03/21
I have had good experiences with GPO in quality and customer service. My first scope was the 4-12X42 model (made in the Philippines or Japan...I am not sure.). I thought it had clear and bright optics and I liked the plex reticle a lot. For the price, I thought it was a solid buy from Doug @ CameraLand. My only issue was at 9x and above the eyebox was tighter and eye relief was shorter. Maybe just a flaw in the way I shoot? Nevertheless, I could feel it grazing my brow with heavy smokeless loads in a muzzleloader. I called GPO and discussed this and was suggested I send it back and try the Passion 3X 4-12x50i Riflescope, G4i Reticle. I just paid the difference. Outstanding customer service in my opinion.

The Passion 3X 4-12x50i Riflescope, G4i Reticle was made in Japan. Optics were very good on this scope. Certainly a step up. I didn’t use the illumination so hard to speak too much of it. It was very bright at night. I really liked this scope.

The third GPO I purchased and used was the PASSION 6-24x50 (made in Japan). It had target turrets. Glass was good as well. I compared it with a meopta meopro 6-18X50 and could not tell any difference in optic clarity and low light. As far as dialing, I have really no experience. I liked the MOA reticle and set it and left it that way for my style of hunting.

I also purchased the passion 8X42 HD binos. These are simply amazing optics to my eyes. I compared them to the kowa Genesis and while they were the 8X33, I couldn't tell a difference in image quality. If any, maybe the GPO’s beats the kowa by a hair.

I am interested in some of their newer scope offerings but don’t have a need at this time.

J
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: GPO scopes - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by LFC

Just how many GPS scopes have you tried and compared against others? Or are you --once again -- just regurgitating hogwash for the sake of argument and bumping your post count?

The Japanese-made Passion 6x 2.5-15x56 that I had either equaled or outperformed scopes costing twice as much in terms of resolution and other critical optical comparisons. And -- just based on glass performance alone -- was one of THE best low-light scopes I have ever tried.

But hey, stick to your unsubstantiated vitriol and keep smiling...

Bob: How is the illumination dot on the 56 mm scopes? Is it too bright, like the Meopta's, for very low light hunting, or can the brightness be lowered enuf to not be overstated/too bright in low light conditions?
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: GPO scopes - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
They have some interesting stuff but you never know what they got made contract to contract whereas you have a good idea of what Leupold is going to be. Asian prices are getting high enough to make it not worth the gamble.

A. Have you owned one?

Leupold gets their glass from Asia or do you think they have a glass factory in Oregon?
Posted By: Bull64 Re: GPO scopes - 11/03/21
CDNN had the Passion 3-12x56 @$399 recently…
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: GPO scopes - 11/04/21
I will try a Passion 3-9x42 soon....I aint skeered! 😁.....Hb
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: GPO scopes - 11/05/21
Originally Posted by Bull64
CDNN had the Passion 3-12x56 @$399 recently…

One left as of this afternoon.
Posted By: NWT Re: GPO scopes - 11/05/21
[quote=Oldelkhunter][quote=Starbuck]. But you do have to admit that, given where they're made, a name like German Precision Optics does have an Orewellian doublespeak quality to it. . Clearly it's a marketing schtick. .

It's not technically dishonest. And as far as I know, they're not trying to hide the coo. But it is at least a little deliberately misleading that a company named German Precision Optics offers only Asiatic product. German Inspired Optics might be more appropriate.

Starbucks,
By far the BEST response!!!****
German INSPIRED Optics >>> NOT German Precision Optics
I can’t believe this conversation is going on. Many BELIEVE China is our FRIEND. Retailers pushing this COMMUNIST CRAP...... AMERICANS BUYING this crap. It’s not about the Asians, It’s about the Fuc**n COMMUNIST Chinese. How far do you purchasers and sellers have your heads up your ass????
Posted By: BobbyTomek Re: GPO scopes - 11/05/21
Originally Posted by Old Ornery

Bob: How is the illumination dot on the 56 mm scopes? Is it too bright, like the Meopta's, for very low light hunting, or can the brightness be lowered enuf to not be overstated/too bright in low light conditions?

The intensity of the illumination was the only thing I did not like about the scope. Assuming relatively clear skies, for 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 after sunset, it is fine --and works great in bright daylight. It is not suitable for moonlight usage.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: GPO scopes - 11/05/21
IIRC, I have purchased six new scopes this year. Five were manufactured in Japan by LOW for American companies, one “assembled” in the US by you-know-who, which means of course that some components are sourced from overseas. Guess which one one suffers from the classic Leupold vagueness when it comes to adjusting it? Bingo! Assumed it would be that way when I bought it, but it was pretty much the only fixed 4 rimfire scope available, and a perfect fit for the little Marlin it went on. Non-critical use, so no big deal.

If you’re going to wrap yourself in The Flag to sell stuff, honor that flag by making it stuff worth buying.
Posted By: RatherBHuntin Re: GPO scopes - 11/05/21
Originally Posted by gitem_12
i just bought one of the GPO passion 4-12x42 models to put on my 280 i havent had a chance to get to the range yet but i can say that the glass is incredibly bright for the cost I was coparing it with my vx5 around duk last ingth and couldn't believe how dark out it was and I could still pick out the reticle against tree branhes 90 yards away

How did that compare to the leupold?
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: GPO scopes - 11/05/21
Originally Posted by NWT
[quote=Oldelkhunter][quote=Starbuck]. But you do have to admit that, given where they're made, a name like German Precision Optics does have an Orewellian doublespeak quality to it. . Clearly it's a marketing schtick. .

Starbucks,
By far the BEST response!!!****
German INSPIRED Optics >>> NOT German Precision Optics
I can’t believe this conversation is going on. Many BELIEVE China is our FRIEND. Retailers pushing this COMMUNIST CRAP...... AMERICANS BUYING this crap. It’s not about the Asians, It’s about the Fuc**n COMMUNIST Chinese. How far do you purchasers and sellers have your heads up your ass????

They got their inspiration from Leupold, you know made the made in America company. Just disregard the fact that their glass and internals come from China, that they make some scope bodies here but the rest are imported. Their binoculars, spotting scopes and rangefinders are all made in China with few exceptions.
© 24hourcampfire