Home
Assuming I’m hunting deer, elk, pronghorn the occasional pig and I’m putting this on a 7mm RM model to be determined what is the most bang for the buck. Don’t need over 15 power but 10 at a minimum. Would like an option to use dial or reticle on a rare long shot 500 yards maximum.

$500 budget stretches 10% but not 50% unless you tell me it’s stupid not to do that. I like Zeiss & Meopta glass but don’t mind Leupold, Burris, Sightron, Trijicon or similar- rather USA, Japanese or Philippines manufacture than China.

Thanks for the help
Great question! Since the Zeiss Conquest and the Meopta Meopro has been discontinued still trying to figure it out. Interested in the ‘fire input as well.

GreggH
$520 bucks. Probably belongs in the conversation. https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...on-Hunter-1-in-Matte-Black-Riflesco.aspx
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

That seems reasonable.
Athlon Helos BTR Gen 2 (or whatever it's called) 2-12×42 checks alot of boxes for $500. I like everything about it so bought a 2nd one.

Edit - guess you'd have to look past the China part (missed that part the first time)...
I’d watch for an swfa 3-9 on sample list or wait for a sale. The 3-9 will do everything you ask even though it’s under your stated minimum 10x.
Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42

The S-TAC 3-16x42 is the ideal scope for target, varmint, and hunting applications. The MOA-3 reticle is a favorite for the AR-platform that provides ample windage and elevation adjustments for competition and targets. A unique flip-up lever is built into the power ring for easy adjustments of cold days.

Features
ExacTrack W&E System: Never experience drift with Sightron's patented windage and elevation adjustment technology. It provides proper alignment between the adjustments and the erector tube by maintaining the same constant and accurate point of pressure at zero or extreme adjustments.
Exclusive Optical Design: Using the right materials for the right application, Sightron engineers build optical formulas around the best optical glass to reduce chromatic aberrations, improve color accuracy, deliver excellent light transmission, and best-in-class resolution and sharpness.
Zact-7 Revcoat®: Exclusive Zact-7 Revcoat® multi-coating process employs revolutionary lens coating technology on both surfaces of the lenses for maximum anti-reflection performance and the high light transmission.
Second Focal Plane Reticle: The reticle size remains constant at any zoom range.
Reticle Material: Etched Wire reticle for a superior viewing experience
Shockproof: Built to withstand high caliber recoil and accidental impact
Waterproof: Rated at IPX7 waterproof standards
Fog proof: Nitrogen gas charged for a lifetime of fog free use
Tube Construction: Milled from a single piece of lightweight, industrial grade aluminum
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I’d watch for an swfa 3-9 on sample list or wait for a sale. The 3-9 will do everything you ask even though it’s under your stated minimum 10x.

I’m in this camp. We use more of them than anything else now.
This! Thank me later.
Originally Posted by Ngrumba

Hyperlink no worky.
You know, for ~$500 bucks, the Leupold VX-3HD 2.5-8 is still a solid value.
Originally Posted by skeen

Hyperlink no worky.

Originally Posted by skeen

Hyperlink no worky.

The NIB Leupold I have in the classifieds 👍🏻
Out of your Budget & out of stock, but would this not open up nearly all the 7RM has to offer as a GP rifle?

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1019362275?pid=791414
My Sako 85 in 7mm rem mag wears this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Burris-Ful...46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Work horse of a scope. Love the long range MOA reticle. I don't turret dial with this.
Originally Posted by JGray
Athlon Helos BTR Gen 2 (or whatever it's called) 2-12×42 checks alot of boxes for $500. I like everything about it so bought a 2nd one.

Edit - guess you'd have to look past the China part (missed that part the first time)...

Absolutely. Awesome scope
The deals you can find on some Burris just cannot be beat.
Meopta optika5 sounds like your huckleberry. I got a 3-15 from Doug under 400.
I did buy a vortex viper 2.5-10 , 30 mm tube on sale at midway for 229, and as much as I talk trash about vortex, this was good buy.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Doesn't belong in the conversation at all.

This scope and its shortcomings has been discussed a million times here. Yet you keep recommending it without owning it. I'm not sure I understand this. The reticle is absolutely too fine to be of any use. It was very difficult to find on a whitetail at high noon with plenty of sunshine. The illuminated reticle was only detectable at its highest power. Even then it wasn't great. The eyepiece is huge and the tube is short. On a model 700 using Talleys; it needed high rings to clear the bolt handle and rear base. Lows and mediums need not apply. Only way I got it to work was with a set of Leupold standards. And eye relief sucks. Scope has zero business being on a hunting rifle.

Buy one and you will see see how crappy of an optic it really is. Doubt you'd be so quick to recommend it. I'm not sure what Trigicon was trying to accomplish with this one.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
upload image
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42

The S-TAC 3-16x42 is the ideal scope for target, varmint, and hunting applications. The MOA-3 reticle is a favorite for the AR-platform that provides ample windage and elevation adjustments for competition and targets. A unique flip-up lever is built into the power ring for easy adjustments of cold days.

Features
ExacTrack W&E System: Never experience drift with Sightron's patented windage and elevation adjustment technology. It provides proper alignment between the adjustments and the erector tube by maintaining the same constant and accurate point of pressure at zero or extreme adjustments.
Exclusive Optical Design: Using the right materials for the right application, Sightron engineers build optical formulas around the best optical glass to reduce chromatic aberrations, improve color accuracy, deliver excellent light transmission, and best-in-class resolution and sharpness.
Zact-7 Revcoat®: Exclusive Zact-7 Revcoat® multi-coating process employs revolutionary lens coating technology on both surfaces of the lenses for maximum anti-reflection performance and the high light transmission.
Second Focal Plane Reticle: The reticle size remains constant at any zoom range.
Tube Construction: Milled from a single piece of lightweight, industrial grade aluminum

Bought one after talking to Doug, and am very well pleased. Haven't had the chance to hunt with it yet, but it's been working great on steel out to 500 yards.
I appreciate all the responses I’m a fan of Burris lots of bang for the buck. I have a Sightron S2 on an old 30-06 that has held zero for at least 10 years of young hunter abuse. I like Trijicon but that reticle is goofy so might not make the cut.

My original impression was that you had to spend more than $500 to get a substantial improvement on the Burris FF2 4.5-14x42 that is about $200. So is that the case? do I leave the Burris on the 7 RM? The reason for looking is I have to send back a Leupold 4-5-14x50 that lost zero, I’m pretty sure I can get almost $500 selling it after repair. The Burris was the emergency replacement before elk hunting. I coincidentally got the same question asked by a new hunter this week figured the fire might give me the right answers for both.
Not quite the price you are looking for but a tract tekoa 4-16 would be my first choice. Great scope and reticle
Hard to beat a fixed 6x SWFA, if you can get one. I had one on my 7 mag and killed two, or three elk with it out past 300 yards. There are lots of good hunting scopes that don't cost a mortgage. I would either leave the Burris, or try a Sightron, or Meopta, but there are several that you can get in your price range. I took the 6x off of my 7mag, as I wanted it on a .270 (gasp) that I traded for. I put a FFII Burris on the 7 mag and it shoots good, but has not had any hard use yet.
The Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex has suited my needs for 90% of the hunting I do.. Can't beat the price either..
I find it amazing that a bunch of you guys can’t recommend a scope within the parameters the OP provided…. if you don’t then explain why….???
I have two Athlon Helos 2-12 FFP scopes with illumination, and like them a lot.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42

Features

Bought one after talking to Doug, and am very well pleased. Haven't had the chance to hunt with it yet, but it's been working great on steel out to 500 yards.

Gonna order one of these!!
SWFA 3x9
Originally Posted by Daveh
I find it amazing that a bunch of you guys can’t recommend a scope within the parameters the OP provided…. if you don’t then explain why….???

What's your recommendation?

If I was buying today in that price range, I would see how I like the new vx3hd offering.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Looked through one of mine at 750 yards this afternoon for awhile. The view on 4 power at that long of a range is very good.
The biggest problem you’re going to face is finding a decent scope with enough mounting length to mount on your rifle without going with a rail and tac style rings. Currently there are quite a few scopes made that are good, but with tubes so short they struggle to mount on even a short action without going with a rail. Can you tell I hate rails, high mounted scopes, and all that come with them, especially on a truly lightweight hunting rifle?
Another vote for the SWFA 3-9. If you think you might want to twist on it, it's really the best option for the stated price range.

The only scope priced less that's as reliable is the SWFA 6x.
[quote=Capt_Craig]The biggest problem you’re going to face is finding a decent scope with enough mounting length to mount on your rifle without going with a rail and tac style rings. Currently there are quite a few scopes made that are good, but with tubes so short they struggle to mount on even a short action without going with a rail. Can you tell I hate rails, high mounted scopes, and all that come with them, especially on a truly lightweight hunting rifle? [/quote

There's plenty of ways around getting a short scope mounted nice and low on a long action without using a rail. I've used Warne extended bases, Talley LW extended, Leupold DD extended rings, Burris multislot bases.
Originally Posted by JackVliet
Originally Posted by Daveh

What's your recommendation?

If I was buying today in that price range, I would see how I like the new vx3hd offering.

If used is ok and push the ceiling to $550 then a Vortex Razor HD LH (1” tube) 2-10 or 3-15 or a Leupold 4.5-14…
Originally Posted by Huntz
Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42

Features

I bought one of the 4-20x50mm ones. Jury still out on edge to edge clarity and last light performance.

I’m not used to nor fond of having to use an adjustment to focus for hunting applications.

For your price range, try an Optika 5.
if i can't do it with an swfa 3-9

it ain't needing to be done
Meopta.
I have yet to see anything that would be worth me buying over what I have. Bushnell elites Japanese made I use mostly 4200 4x16x40. I’m up to a even dozen elites
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex has suited my needs for 90% of the hunting I do.. Can't beat the price either..

^^^^^^ this.

I put one on my buddy's 270 last year under the exact same criteria as the OP. I've used alot of FFII and like them alot.

If you want an excellent used Burris Veracity, I know where one is........ whistle
Burris e1 4-14x42. Under 200$ and its built like a brick [bleep]. Forever warranty that u wont need. I have several and do prefer the e1 over the ff2. Quicker side focus and power adjustment
Originally Posted by Huntz
Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42

Features

I just bought two. Not tried either yet but all reviews were positive.
Originally Posted by srwshooter
I have yet to see anything that would be worth me buying over what I have. Bushnell elites Japanese made I use mostly 4200 4x16x40. I’m up to a even dozen elites

They are a great value.
© 24hourcampfire