Home
I know this topic and discussion has been thoroughly covered and at times worn out. But I need some help. The short of it is I need opinions based on experience on the absolute best glass for low light field hunting in the south. Whitetail, hogs and coyotes.

On an extremely overcast evening a couple weeks ago I was unable to identify what buck I was looking at through my scope about three minutes before legal shooting light ended. I have three good bucks on Camera and only one that I wanted to shoot this year. The others need one more year. Hunting a food plot field I could not distinguish what buck I was looking at and the edge of the woods 200 yards away.

I have $1300 set aside for glass on a new rifle I am having built. But I would be willing to save a little more over the course of the spring if it would make a huge difference. I currently have a VX5 3-15x44 with a firedot and have been pleased with it and still am, but that was the scope I was looking through on the evening I couldn’t make out the buck. I’m trying to figure out what route to go to give me the absolute best low light performance. That is probably the biggest priority for me as a southern Whitetail hunter looking at fields and powerlines. I elk hunt once a year but that is typically an archery hunt. I have a solid set up for elk hunting with a rifle so the scope I am shopping for right now is a dedicated low light field hunting scope. I’m fine with large objectives and like the idea of twisting turrets out to 600 yards for practice.

I’ve been reading about Z6, V6, and and some of the offerings from S&B, Tract and Leica. willing to put up extra money to go in this type of direction if it’s worth it and I get an extra 10 minutes.

Sorry for the long epistle but hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Thanks
S&B Polar or PMll are as good as it gets.
It may just be your eyes, so what works for someone else may not work for you. It may also be that no scope would have done the job in those circumstances.
It’s true I had to go to Reeder‘s this year. The big 5O caught up with me! Just hoping I might get a few more minutes on these aging eyes when I’m sitting on those big fields.
A friend of mine swears by a Swarovski he bought a few years ago. Claims it can see in the dark better than he ever imagined. Not sure of the model. It cost close to $2K.
Originally Posted by jwp475

S&B Polar of PMll are as good as it gets.

The Polar is the king in low light and price.
BobbyTomek knows about as much as anyone here I believe. You could PM him and ask his opinion.

I have a Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-10x56 on a .223, but haven’t had it out except to dial it in. Works in the yard! But it’s a SFP and capped, so not ideal for dialing. They have other models that would be better for that I suspect. You need enough power for good definition, but not so much that you end up with too small an exit pupil, even with a 56mm objective.
Posted By: LFC Re: Undisputed Lowlight Champion? - 02/01/22
Schmidt and Bender
My experience... S&B Polar
Originally Posted by FOsteology
My experience... S&B Polar

Unless someone else has come out with something better it is the best in lowlight. The OP might want to get a quality pair of 10x56 or 8x56 binos as well, they are more important then the scope actually.

Nailed it!!!
I don't think there is any one "champ" because of differences in individual perception. But you can do the pupil diameter math to narrow the field down.
The best in low light that I've experienced was a S&B 1.5-6x42 Zenith, I suspect the Polar at 50mm+ would be even more of a good thing.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I don't think there is any one "champ" because of differences in individual perception. But you can do the pupil diameter math to narrow the field down.

Exit pupil is the same with a comparable scope (comparing same power setting and objective diameter) whether crap glass or really good glass. Resolution is the key to high quality glass.
Good point on the binos, Oldelkhunter. I definitely may be limited on my bino setup. I currently have 8x42’s.
My VX5 3-15X56 lasted six minutes longer than my Swarovski z5 5-25X52 on deer antlers 131 yards away.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Exit pupil is the same with a comparable scope (comparing same power setting and objective diameter) whether crap glass or really good glass. Resolution is the key to high quality glass.

Of course.

But comparing something like a Swaro to Nightforce is going to boil down to perception, just like comparing illuminated to non-illuminated.
Originally Posted by spence1875

The Polar is the king in low light and price.

I have 4 PMll's that are extremely good in low light. I can't say they or better or not but they are not lacking.
They work well way past legal shooting light
Originally Posted by Pappy348
BobbyTomek knows about as much as anyone here I believe. You could PM him and ask his opinion.

I have a Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-10x56 on a .223, but haven’t had it out except to dial it in. Works in the yard! But it’s a SFP and capped, so not ideal for dialing. They have other models that would be better for that I suspect. You need enough power for good definition, but not so much that you end up with too small an exit pupil, even with a 56mm objective.

Thanks. Will check with Bobby
Originally Posted by MosesTucker
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Thanks. Will check with Bobby

Bobby likes the S&B Polar I'm not sure if he's tried a PMll or not
I just did a comparison of a Leupold VX5 3-15x56, TT 315 Hunter and the S&B Polar 3-12x54. Had them all in hand and the Polar had the best overall glass I've ever seen to my eyes. I did end up sending it back though since the Tangent was so very close optically and there was nothing I couldn't shoot with one vs the other. The Tangent was a better match for my hunting set up due to the tube size (30mm vs 34mm) and the turrets clicks.

Best of luck.
I haven't used the Polar but I've been using a Tangent Theta 3-15 LRH for much of my last light hunting this year and it's very, very good.
I know this topic and discussion has been thoroughly covered and at times worn out. But I need some help. The short of it is I need opinions based on experience on the absolute best glass for low light field hunting in the south. Whitetail, hogs and coyotes.

On an extremely overcast evening a couple weeks ago I was unable to identify what buck I was looking at through my scope about three minutes before legal shooting light ended. I have three good bucks on Camera and only one that I wanted to shoot this year. The others need one more year. Hunting a food plot field I could not distinguish what buck I was looking at and the edge of the woods 200 yards away.

I have $1300 set aside for glass on a new rifle I am having built. But I would be willing to save a little more over the course of the spring if it would make a huge difference. I currently have a VX5 3-15x44 with a fire or not and have been pleased with it and still am, but that was the scope I was looking through on the evening I couldn’t make out the buck. I’m trying to figure out what route to go to give me the absolute best low light performance. That is probably the biggest priority for me as a southern Whitetail hunter looking at fields and powerlines. I elk hunt once a year but that is typically an archery hunt. I have a solid set up for elk hunting with a rifle so the scope I am shopping for right now is a dedicated low lot field hunting scope. I’m fine with large objectives and like the idea of twisting turrets out to 600 yards for practice.

I’ve been reading about Z6, V6, and and some of the offerings from S&B, Tract and Leica. willing to put up extra money to go in this type of direction if it’s worth it and I get an extra 10 minutes.

Sorry for the long epistle but hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Thanks

I have gone through your same quest but I did not want to pack around a 56mm star scope on my deer rifle. So I went with a lighter and smaller 1" 42mm Z3 Swaro, which alone has excellent low light capability. However when I cant see horns with my scope I can see them clearly thru my Swaro 10x42 binos. So I use them to first scan and id horns etc in low light. Yeah I know they are 2k binos but with your existing good scope you might want to instead look at putting the 1200 bucks into some top quality glass. Maybe check out the Toric line as they supposedly have euro glass but at less than 1/2 price of name brand ones. You can always try out and return if you handle them delicately.
I am not a rich guy but did treat myself to a pair of top of the line binos some years back. If I got in a bind I would sell one of my fav rifles before I sold those binos.
Many things need to be factored to find the right low light scope for yourself, but if just talking glass, then the S&B Polar is indeed at the top of the heap. I've found nothing better.

With that being said, and the fact you have $1300 set aside right now, I'd take a hard look at the Minox All-Rounder. It comes very close to the Polar in performance, has the option of setting the illumination to a darker curve (you'll want to do that) and affords resolution that rivals anything out there. The All-Rounder is the culmination of improving and streamlining/simplifying the excellent ZE5i series. The series hasn't been heavily marketed but is definitely worth a look.

Right now, Optics Trade EU from Slovenia has them in stock, and with shipping/customs fees, the 2.5-10x50 will run you just over $1300. The 3-15x56 is about $80 bucks more. Don't worry about int'l shipping; it's quicker than ground here in the US lol. A scope I recently bought from them arrived in 3 business days.

Here is a link:
Minox page at Optics Trade EU

There are a number of other excellent optics that would serve your purpose. But sadly, a number of them -- like the Kahles Helia scopes -- can't be purchased here any longer and can't be imported, either. Hunting in Europe is often a low-light activity, and scopes available there often vary greatly compared to what is served up to the US market. The Steiner Ranger 4 and 6 (not sold here but can be imported) are perfect examples when compared to the Steiner models sold here in the US, all of which have far too bright of illumination and reticles which aren't the best for low light applications.
Best - S&B Polar

Close 2nd - Zeiss Victory HT & Leica Magnus
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Many things need to be factored to find the right low light scope for yourself, but if just talking glass, then the S&B Polar is indeed at the top of the heap. I've found nothing better.

With that being said, and the fact you have $1300 set aside right now, I'd take a hard look at the Minox All-Rounder. It comes very close to the Polar in performance, has the option of setting the illumination to a darker curve (you'll want to do that) and affords resolution that rivals anything out there. The All-Rounder is the culmination of improving and streamlining/simplifying the excellent ZE5i series. The series hasn't been heavily marketed but is definitely worth a look.

Right now, Optics Trade EU from Slovenia has them in stock, and with shipping/customs fees, the 2.5-10x50 will run you just over $1300. The 3-15x56 is about $80 bucks more. Don't worry about int'l shipping; it's quicker than ground here in the US lol. A scope I recently bought from them arrived in 3 business days.

Here is a link:

There are a number of other excellent optics that would serve your purpose. But sadly, a number of them -- like the Kahles Helia scopes -- can't be purchased here any longer and can't be imported, either. Hunting in Europe is often a low-light activity, and scopes available there often vary greatly compared to what is served up to the US market. The Steiner Ranger 4 and 6 (not sold here but can be imported) are perfect examples when compared to the Steiner models sold here in the US, all of which have far too bright of illumination and reticles which aren't the best for low light applications.

Bobby, how did you come to have experience with so many high quality optics? How does the VAT work out?
Would one of the large objective Kaps be worth a look?
I'm a Swaro fan, love my El's, AV and Z3's but I wasn't really happy with the Z6 50mm. My Leica er5 also a 50mm and a Zeiss Victory HT I hunted with were both much better at very low light than the Z6 I had. But as someone already posted each person's vision is different and I would get another Z3 before I considered a Z6.
Are you over 50? (OP)
Originally Posted by Rhodes
Are you over 50? (OP)

I turn 50 this year. I just recently had to start wearing readers.
It’s true I had to go to Reeder‘s this year. The big 5O caught up with me! Just hoping I might get a few more minutes on these aging eyes when I’m sitting on those big fields.

ALL need a GREAT not cheap pair of Binoculars. Our deer time is 1 hr before sunrise to 1 hr after sunset. I currently use Meopta Meostar 12x50's. My favorite low light scope is the old Leupold var-x 3 with the heavy duplex. I NEVER scan with the rifle. In fact its never touched unless I want to shoot. I "hunt"with the binoculars(from high tower stands).
Many times I have found deer with my binoculars that I couldn't see with my naked eye. Once spotted. That old Leupold scoped .280 usually earned them a ride in the truck.
Lots of good stuff to think about. Looks like I might need to invest in better binoculars.
Are you over 50? (OP)

Reason I ask is.....cataracts are insidious and inevitable. People can get them young or older. They reduce light transmission big time.

Just saying, whenever we start talking about scopes and clarity and light transmission, start with getting your eyes and vision checked for best performance.
Are you over 50? (OP)

Reason I ask is.....cataracts are insidious and inevitable. People can get them young or older. They reduce light transmission big time.

Just saying, whenever we start talking about scopes and clarity and light transmission, start with getting your eyes and vision checked for best performance.

Yeah that’s good wisdom. I actually have an eye exam/check up coming in three weeks so I will talk to my optometrist about that. He’s not a hunter or a sportsman so I’m not sure how familiar he is with optics in the sporting realm but I will definitely talk to him about my situation

Here is a link:

Thank you so much. Very helpful. Of the two Minox scopes you’ve listed, would I gain any low light Advantage going with the larger 56mm?

Here is a link:

Thank you so much. Very helpful. Of the two Minox scopes you’ve listed, would I gain any low light Advantage going with the larger 56mm?

You should gain in brightness going with 56 vs. 50 with the same scope model. That being said, the larger scope is higher and more difficult to mount and is heavier.
I agree with the person above that said you need to see the target in your binoculars before you use the scope, but if your scope is not up to task you will not be able to see it.

The 56 won't appear to be any brighter given equal exit pupils. The only edge you may gain is being able to use a sightly higher magnification and transferring a tad more detail to your eye. But those differences are minimal and almost impossible to detect in the field. When you get to glass of this quality level, a 50mm objective has proven to be more than sufficient for my usage. In fact, my favorite low-light scope overall is the Docter Basic 2.5-10x50 or its twin (Noblex Vario N4 2.5-10x50).

One other thought on higher magnifications: An overlooked facet is AO/SF. With very shallow depth of field in poor lighting, there can be occasions when more precise focus of the image can be beneficial, though I can only think of one single situation when I actually took advantage of SF. I was using a ZE5i 3-15x56 and was having a tough time discerning the edges and positioning of a moonlight coyote as it was blending into the frost-burned winter grass.
The 56mm objective has 25.44% more area than the 50mm objective. That's huge!

How would you like to get a 25.44% raise in your income?
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Bobby, how did you come to have experience with so many high quality optics? How does the VAT work out?

I've addressed this before, so here's a very short summary. When my health deteriorated to a point that I could no longer get out and stalk, I knew my only options were sniping unsuspecting coyotes and hogs from the front yard here at our farm. But they rarely show in good daylight. So I sold off a number of my guns and began experimenting with optics in an attempt to find the perfect low-light scope. Of course, that does not exist LOL.

As to VAT and customs, just as you would do here in the states, you learn to shop around, find VAT-free items or tax-free offerings and sales. Also, Optics Trade occasionally offers free international priority shipping. A recent item I was looking at (cost app. $1000) had an expedited shipping offering of $69.90 via UPS -- and that included all customs fees).
Bobby,
Sounds like you might want to consider traveling the very slippery thermal-scope-slope.
Originally Posted by SKane
Bobby,
Sounds like you might want to consider traveling the very slippery thermal-scope-slope.

I have never warmed up to them. Plus, the models I have been vaguely interested in featured nonsensical (to me) features like Bluetooth, video recording, etc. I have no need for any of that stuff. To me, all the bells and whistles just add to to the potential of something going wrong.

The 56 won't appear to be any brighter given equal exit pupils. The only edge you may gain is being able to use a sightly higher magnification and transferring a tad more detail to your eye. But those differences are minimal and almost impossible to detect in the field. When you get to glass of this quality level, a 50mm objective has proven to be more than sufficient for my usage. In fact, my favorite low-light scope overall is the Docter Basic 2.5-10x50 or its twin (Noblex Vario N4 2.5-10x50).

One other thought on higher magnifications: An overlooked facet is AO/SF. With very shallow depth of field in poor lighting, there can be occasions when more precise focus of the image can be beneficial, though I can only think of one single situation when I actually took advantage of SF. I was using a ZE5i 3-15x56 and was having a tough time discerning the edges and positioning of a moonlight coyote as it was blending into the frost-burned winter grass.

Would you recommend the Docter over the Minox for low light application?
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I've addressed this before, so here's a very short summary. When my health deteriorated to a point that I could no longer get out and stalk, I knew my only options were sniping unsuspecting coyotes and hogs from the front yard here at our farm. But they rarely show in good daylight. So I sold off a number of my guns and began experimenting with optics in an attempt to find the perfect low-light scope. Of course, that does not exist LOL.

As to VAT and customs, just as you would do here in the states, you learn to shop around, find VAT-free items or tax-free offerings and sales. Also, Optics Trade occasionally offers free international priority shipping. A recent item I was looking at (cost app. $1000) had an expedited shipping offering of $69.90 via UPS -- and that included all customs fees).

Thanks!
The Docter scopes have not been made in years and are virtually impossible to find. But for my eyes and my usage, yes -- I'll take a Docter over the Minox when it comes to moonlight and low-light applications. With that being said, I could live happily ever-after with a Minox ZE5i or the new All-Rounder.

Also, if anyone is purchasing a ZE5i,make sure the serial # is above 32201900. The very early run did not have the adjustable illumination curve feature. At its dimmest setting on those original scopes, it's a bit too bright for the lowest of light.
I have been impressed with the Meopta Optiika 6 3-18x50mm ....I replaced my Leupold VX-5 HD and do not regret it.
All this talk of Minox—how are they mechanically? I read a couple of reports about not retaining zero but I don’t know exactly what line that was and if it was just a fluke.
Zeiss Victory HT if you can find one.
Originally Posted by BillyE
All this talk of Minox—how are they mechanically? I read a couple of reports about not retaining zero but I don’t know exactly what line that was and if it was just a fluke.

I've used a number of them and have had no problems when it comes to tracking or reliability, etc. The very early ZA5 scopes did have an issue with the ocular, but that was corrected -- and Minox quickly took care of the few that slipped past QC.
Generally, any of the high end large objective scopes will do really well. I tend to use the Tangent 3-15x50 TT315M, like the gentleman above, but if you can spend the cash on S&B Polar 4-16x56, it will be probably do a hair better.

That having been said, before you spend that much money, I would try Meopta Meostar R1 3-12x56 or R2 2.5-15x56. The first one is definitely within your current budget and you'd be surprised how well they do in low light.

ILya
I have a number of S&Bs.
This past season was my first for one of these.
https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/schmidt-bender-klassik-hungaria-8x56.html
At 22:oz. It's one of the lightest ..big scopes
It works very well in low light.

Dave
Originally Posted by Ringman

You can't use any exit pupil larger than your eye's pupil diameter.
However, you could get the same exit pupil diameter at a higher magnification.
Pretty sure most of all the scopes mention will do what you ask and more. It all comes down to your eyes. Swarovski does it for my eyes. Z3s are fine, Z5s are built for more recoil. I use Z5s and can shoot far after legal shooting hours. They work
Just about any scope and a Q-beam works for me.
I`ve heard this before from a few friends..my question, was the side adjustment set correctly? Focus? 200 yrds is not that far, with that glass, if set properly, to see defination.
[Linked Image]I went through this exercise a couple of years ago. Bobby was a big help but I could not afford the Polar and went for lesser S&B. Scopes are a hobby for me and I have S&B's, Swaros, Zeiss, Khales, Steiner, Night Force, Minox, IOR, etc. that I own and use. I have a little bit of knowledge about what is good for my eyes but it does not mean my experience translates to what is good for others. Everyone's eyes and perceptions are different.

My low light South Texas Bacon solution at the time was the S&B Klassik 8x56 and it is definitely the best in low light than anything else I have looked through. With moonlight over a pasture, I can hunt all night. I am going on my third year with it and I love it. The 8x56 has been the standard in Europe since the '90s for low light hunting. It was on a Ruger Scout in 450 BM and is now on a Custom Mauser in 450 BM. The scope was in QD mounts and I had a NECG rear Peep sight that would be quickly installed on the rear base for a backup or when peep sights made more sense than a scope. The QD Maxima Rings hold zero. For me and my use, the size of the scope does not bother the handling of this 16" Carbine for me in the truck (Yes, we hunt Hogs from the truck), in the brush, or out of a stand.

At $700, it is almost half of your scope budget and puts you into something that will likely impress you as long as you are hunting.

BTW, that Zeiss VX-5 you are using now is no slouch in low light and it would not be a mistake to continue using it.

Attached picture 77 450.jpg
Attached picture South Texas 450 BM rs.jpg
…My low light South Texas Bacon solution at the time was the S&B Klassik 8x56 and it is definitely the best in low light than anything else I have looked through. With moonlight over a pasture, I can hunt all night. I am going on my third year with it and I love it.

At $700, it is almost half of your scope budget and puts you into something that will likely impress you as long as you are hunting.

BTW, that Zeiss VX-5 you are using now is no slouch in low light and it would not be a mistake to continue using it.

[/quote]

Interesting to open up and read this post to the thread. I was getting ready to ask if anyone had used this exact model so your personal experience is very helpful! Right now I’m leaning towards buying the 8x56 Klassik, and then working towards a better set of binoculars.

Sweet setup there in the pic.

You can't use any exit pupil larger than your eye's pupil diameter.
However, you could get the same exit pupil diameter at a higher magnification.

I have prooved time and again exit pupil means nothing. An example would be my Minox 13X56 binoulars vs Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 scope. The binocular has TWO 56mm objectives while the scope has only one 50mm objective. And yet when I set the scope on 13X and compared them on the deer antlers 131 yards away the scope lasted two minutes longer.

I have several comparisons like this. I will include the Minox15X58 binocular smokes the Minox 13X56 by several minutes. I don't see how 2mm objective makes that much difference.

Exit pupil is only 1 variable that affects light to your eye
A few comments:

-This comes up again and again, so I will just clarify that exit pupil does not mean anything for Ringmaster's eyes. For human eyes, it makes a significant difference.

-It is incorrect that your eye can not use an exit pupil larger than the eye pupil. It can and it does, by moving slightly and superimposing images in your brain for greater detail and contrast comprehension. There is, of course a limit to how larger of an exit pupil you can use and the compromise (for variable scopes) is between exit pupil and magnification. As the light gets lower and your eye pupils dilate, the exit pupil takes on an increasingly greater importance.

ILya
Originally Posted by koshkin
A few comments:

-This comes up again and again, so I will just clarify that exit pupil does not mean anything for Ringmaster's eyes. For human eyes, it makes a significant difference.

-It is incorrect that your eye can not use an exit pupil larger than the eye pupil. It can and it does, by moving slightly and superimposing images in your brain for greater detail and contrast comprehension. There is, of course a limit to how larger of an exit pupil you can use and the compromise (for variable scopes) is between exit pupil and magnification. As the light gets lower and your eye pupils dilate, the exit pupil takes on an increasingly greater importance.

ILya

^^^^^^ This
Total Agreement on the S&B 8x56 . Since they are coming from a European vendor are they sent back to the Fatherland for repair or done in Virginia?
S&B made a 7x50 fixed up until a year or so ago. Always wanted to try one.

Originally Posted by koshkin
A few comments:

ILya

I see your second paragraph doesn't support your first.

An optic with lesser quality may have a better exit pupil than a better optic. But all you get is a brighter unresolved image.
Total Agreement on the S&B 8x56 . Since they are coming from a European vendor are they sent back to the Fatherland for repair or done in Virginia?

Other than reticle changes and the most minor of things, the majority of repairs are done in Germany anyway -- that coming directly from S&B. Even removing a speck of internal debris from a model purchased here in the US required a trip across the pond.

An optic with lesser quality may have a better exit pupil than a better optic. But all you get is a brighter unresolved image.

I'm not going to get into a detailed debate with you, but your claim makes no sense. A larger exit pupil never guarantees a "brighter" image.

Other than reticle changes and the most minor of things, the majority of repairs are done in Germany anyway -- that coming directly from S&B. Even removing a speck of internal debris from a model purchased here in the US required a trip across the pond.

I should have worded my question differently, are they warrantied? Thinking S&B would take care of any issues on a Euro bought scope sold in the states but it would piss off Eurooptics most likely.
A used Zeiss 6-24x72?
[Linked Image from dorleac-dorleac.com]

BT.
The only time I've used S&B service was several years ago on a 4-16x50 PMII .
The windage knob was hard to turn and it was difficult to actually get it to go to the number on the dial you wanted.
Called VA. And described the problem.
Sent it in on a Monday and got it back the following Monday. The note in the box said they replaced the windage erector spring.
No Charge.
Thinking there wasn't enough time to get it to krautland and back....
For this past season I bought a 8x56 for 709.00 delivered from optics trade.
The very first thing I did was call Va. And ask about service
On a 8x56 that's made in Hungary.
I was told that it did not go to krautland for service.
Was told that the Hungarian made models were covered by the same warranty used the same parts and were serviced in Virginia.
In my mind the 8x56 is the sleeper scope.
For price and weight it's difficult to best.
One of the very best Schmidts I've owned for monkeying around in the dark was a 3-12x50 PMII.
This was a non AO model that was parallax free at 250 meters.Just amazing in the dark . To my eyes the best I have and I compared it to the other eight I own.
But the thing Weighs 30 plus ounces......
Dave
Well. Thank you everyone for your input. I ordered an 8X56 S&B Klassik from optics-trade! Only spent a touch over half often budget so now I need to start looking at binoculars. I’ve got a $550 head start on saving up for those. Got the scope for $750 with shipping.

Optics trade said it will ship in “One month or longer”. Does anyone have any experience on how long that might actually be?

I’m still probably 6 to 8 weeks from having my rifle build finished. So no real hurry.
Well. Thank you everyone for your input. I ordered an 8X56 S&B Klassik from optics-trade! Only spent a touch over half often budget so now I need to start looking at binoculars. I’ve got a $550 head start on saving up for those. Got the scope for $750 with shipping.

Optics trade said it will ship in “One month or longer”. Does anyone have any experience on how long that might actually be?

I’m still probably 6 to 8 weeks from having my rifle build finished. So no real hurry.

A previous order for a 6x42 with them was almost exactly what the quoted time frame was until it was shipped. I don't remember what the time quote said but I do remember that it was right on time. Shipping took a little while but it was trackable. Really it was a painless order since I wasn't in a rush.
Thanks, J!
I recently ordered an 8x56 S&B from optics trade, and was quoted 1 month or longer. I got it exactly one month after placing the order.
I wonder how the meopro plus 8x56 binoculars will be for this application?
Posted By: LFC Re: Undisputed Lowlight Champion? - 02/03/22
Originally Posted by Northman
A used Zeiss 6-24x72?

Shew....looks like an Elephant riding a tricycle.
S&B Polar or PMll are as good as it gets.

I think JWP nailed it. S&B makes a 8x56 that is pretty slick if you aren't worried about uber close and quick shooting. Dave7mm used his to good effect this past fall.
The credit card company was more of a problem than optics trade.
At first I wasn't up for sending my CC information to Slovenia. But it worked. Getting the CC company to clear it was the problem.
Dave
Probably costs as much as an elephant on a tricycle.
Originally Posted by spence1875
S&B made a 7x50 fixed up until a year or so ago. Always wanted to try one.

Me too

Dave
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

A previous order for a 6x42 with them was almost exactly what the quoted time frame was until it was shipped. I don't remember what the time quote said but I do remember that it was right on time. Shipping took a little while but it was trackable. Really it was a painless order since I wasn't in a rush.

I am super interested in a 6x42 S&B for an all-arounder 30 06. What can you tell me about it?
Only spent a touch over half often budget so now I need to start looking at binoculars. I’ve got a $550 head start on saving up for those.

Are you going to start a thread for binoculars? It's been a while since I've purchased any binos and it will be interesting to see what folks recommend,
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Only spent a touch over half often budget so now I need to start looking at binoculars. I’ve got a $550 head start on saving up for those.

Are you going to start a thread for binoculars? It's been a while since I've purchased any binos and it will be interesting to see what folks recommend,

Yes I am going to do that after work today. Should be insightful!
Originally Posted by plumbum
Probably costs as much as an elephant on a tricycle.

Just $24000
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I am super interested in a 6x42 S&B for an all-arounder 30 06. What can you tell me about it?

I'm using 5 S&B 6x42's in various configurations on several rifles. As best I can tell they've all been perfect. Only 1 of the dialers has truly been beat on and used hard. It's my favorite scope for the hunting I do....nothing else is even close. It's a PMII though, so not a Klassic. I think the Klassic is a great scope for set and forget.
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/schmidt-and-bender-klassik-8x56mm-field-eval.248421/

Dave
Originally Posted by dave7mm

Yep, the S&B 8x56 certainly works -- and works WELL. Many hunters scoff at the thought of a fixed power scope, but they'd likely change their minds after spending time with one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
When I sold my 3-12X56 Doctor Classic to Bobby, I got a illuminated 3-12X50 Klassik with a elevation turret. I would like to have a Polar.
I have to thank Bobby as well. I Had a classic and picked up a 4-16x56Polar after his recommendations. Its really something to look through at very low light and esp when hunting the hardwood we have here in south Louisiana, its gets dark real quick even during legal hours.
Originally Posted by SDupontJr
I have to thank Bobby as well. I Had a classic and picked up a 4-16x56Polar after his recommendations. Its really something to look through at very low light and esp when hunting the hardwood we have here in south Louisiana, its gets dark real quick even during legal hours.

People in other states don't realize how dark it can get early in Louisiana

People in other states don't realize how dark it can get early in Louisiana

Correct. My personal 120 is full of oaks and very thick. Shots are no further than 100 yards and you have to sit on the ground and line em up between trees. At official sun set, you can barely see so at 30 min after sunset or legal time here in Louisiana, you can forget it. But if you walk out onto a powerline or field, its not as bad. But in the woods, you better have Alpha glass or you'll miss him. So when Bobby Mentioned it was at the top of his list, I just bit the bullet and bought the Polar. Now I'm 49 and I'm kicking my own ass for not buying the best years back.
Tag
Best - S&B Polar

Yep. If a S&B Polar isn't giving you the lowlight performance you need then it's time for a thermal.
Simmons Truplex beats them all!
how does the klassik, specifically the 3-12x50mm compare to the polar in low light?
Big Ed
Originally Posted by whitearrow
how does the klassik, specifically the 3-12x50mm compare to the polar in low light?
Big Ed

I’d be interested in this comparison as well.
Not the 3-12 klassik but I did have the 2.5-10x56 klassik. It was at the time my best low light scope. Same reticle on both, the #4 with illuminated dot. I'm 50, and to my eyes, the Polar seems to give a brighter image and will last slightly longer than the Klassik. But the biggest difference is the illumination. I find the Polar illuminated dot to be a pin prick. Not that the Klassik is a huge dot, i just find the polar has a pin prick for a dot and is very dim. It can be turned down so low that the illumination doesn't over power the pupil.
I would love to have a Polar to compare side by side to the 3x12x50 and 8x56 Klassiks.
I would love to have a Polar to compare side by side to the 3x12x50 and 8x56 Klassiks.

My buddy Dave got one of the 8x56's (Hungarian) model last year when I got the 6x42 (Hungarian). He can't say enough good about that scope. It is alot of scope for 650 bucks!
Originally Posted by beretzs

My buddy Dave got one of the 8x56's (Hungarian) model last year when I got the 6x42 (Hungarian). He can't say enough good about that scope. It is alot of scope for 650 bucks!

The 8x56 Klassick beats my two new 3x12x50 Klassiks in low light. It is my go to low light hog scope. I have never viewed through a Polar and wonder by how much it is better than the 8x56. I know it has to be better based on feedback, I am just wondering by how much.
I wonder the same myself.
I have a Polar in 3-12x54 and had a Klassik in 8x56. Didn’t do a side by side but I think the 8x56 was very close. For most eyes, probably as good. And a fraction of the cost. I bought mine (8x56) from Opticstrade in Europe and passed it along to a fellow member to help fund my Polar. To do it over again I wouldn’t feel let down in the lowlight capability of the fixed 8x Klassik.

This thread is what initially led me to buy the Polar.

Tell you what, I have shot a couple of hogs at midnight with a Trijicon Credo HX in 2.5-10x56 and that thing is impressive. Especially for the money.
A Bushnell Banner 4x is the low light champion. Maybe its the lack of coatings ?
4x40 tasco grin
I have a Polar in 3-12x54 and had a Klassik in 8x56. Didn’t do a side by side but I think the 8x56 was very close. For most eyes, probably as good. And a fraction of the cost. I bought mine (8x56) from Opticstrade in Europe and passed it along to a fellow member to help fund my Polar. To do it over again I wouldn’t feel let down in the lowlight capability of the fixed 8x Klassik.

This thread is what initially led me to buy the Polar.

Tell you what, I have shot a couple of hogs at midnight with a Trijicon Credo HX in 2.5-10x56 and that thing is impressive. Especially for the money.

I like those Trijicons as well. I haven't used that one, but a few of the others have been really good.
I have Zeiss with 56 objective lens. I think any of the top names with 56 obj will serve you well. I bought a used Zeiss Divari years ago for under a thousand. Works great on my CZ FS 308.
Bushnell elite...iirc. They boasted the highest light transmission at one point. 94% on one of their models. Have several
Originally Posted by Tommy_guns
Bushnell elite...iirc. They boasted the highest light transmission at one point. 94% on one of their models. Have several

Bushnell Elite 4200 are great hunting scopes for sure.

But not in the same "league" as the S&B Polar or the Zeiss Victory HT when it comes to low light performance. (these will have at least 50mm OBJ lens' of course)
on my target and hunting rifles Nightforce scopes , Seal team use mostly Nightforce scopes , our American military snipers use Nightforce scopes too. Nightforce scopes are made in Idaho .
Originally Posted by pete53
Nightforce scopes are made in Idaho .

Not true.

A few of their scopes are ASSEMBLED in Idaho. I can assure you the glass and other parts come from overseas.

The SHV series is made in Japan.

The NX8 is made in Japan.

The NXS series is made in Japan.

Look at one and you'll see they are so marked.
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
4x40 tasco grin

Problem is folk think we are joking
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
4x40 tasco grin

Problem is folk think we are joking

I agree with you guys, Johnny Loco, and Hammer 2506.

I'll toss in a 1980s or 90s, Weaver K 4 also... to a lesser extent, but still awfully good if the moon is shining.. the K 6 Weaver from that time period also.

I'm not a scope snob type.. if I can see out of it, that is all that matters to me...I don't think I've ever had a straight 4 power, 6 power or the Bushnell 1.5 x 4 or 1.5 x 4.5 shot gun scopes, that I've had to send back for repairs....

honorable mention goes to a Leupold 2 x 7 shotgun scope I've had a couple of...
I used to think my Leupold LPS 3.5 x 14 with Leica glass was the best low light scope. Until my buddy bought a Zeiss Victory Divari. This scope was king in my eyes for low light. I have never looked through a S & B Polar, but would like too.
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
I used to think my Leupold LPS 3.5 x 14 with Leica glass was the best low light scope. Until my buddy bought a Zeiss Victory Divari. This scope was king in my eyes for low light. I have never looked through a S & B Polar, but would like too.

Buy my "NIB" Zeiss Victory HT 2.5-10X 50mm with the #06 NON-illuminated reticle & it will show up your buddies Diavari.
Nightforce scopes are made in Idaho .

Not true.

A few of their scopes are ASSEMBLED in Idaho. I can assure you the glass and other parts come from overseas.

The SHV series is made in Japan.

The NX8 is made in Japan.

The NXS series is made in Japan.

Look at one and you'll see they are so marked.
most glass for scopes glass is made in Japan most of us know that

and i don`t care still is a much better scope than any other scope mentioned ,must be true most bench shooters use them !
Mixed in with some good posts in this thread there are some real head shakers.

and i don`t care still is a much better scope than any other scope mentioned ,must be true most bench shooters use them !

---

pete53-

I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers by pointing out the truth: that most NF scopes are actually made in Japan and not in Idaho as you had posted. But I get tired of seeing incorrect info being posted here day after day.

As to the scopes themselves and your claim: I see that your mind is made up, so I won't waste my time here. But to consider Nightforce the "undisputed lowlight champion" is simply ludicrous. Yes, they may be rugged and reliable, but you don't even have to go to a true alpha scope to find better glass for the application this thread addresses.
Anybody ever done business with a company named Xtremetacticals.com from across the pond?

---

pete53-

I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers by pointing out the truth: that most NF scopes are actually made in Japan and not in Idaho as you had posted. But I get tired of seeing incorrect info being posted here day after day.

As to the scopes themselves and your claim: I see that your mind is made up, so I won't waste my time here. But to consider Nightforce the "undisputed lowlight champion" is simply ludicrous. Yes, they may be rugged and reliable, but you don't even have to go to a true alpha scope to find better glass for the application this thread addresses.

My experience tracks with Bobby's. I have a Night Force on my M1A and it does everything it is supposed to extremely well in daylight. It is probably tops, or close to top for reliability. In a side by side comparison to a S&B or Z6 Swaro, which I have done numerous times over times, the glass is not in the same league in low light.
Just got back from a cloudy night hunt. Shot a 160 lb sow. I mean it was dark. Cloudy overcast skies. Shot her at 131 yards with my Trijicon Credo HX 4-16x50. Very impressive for the money, what these scopes do in lowlight. Not far behind the Polar.

Attached picture 25629ECE-2F3E-4B1F-8E91-E770D3268F0D.jpeg
Just got back from a cloudy night hunt. Shot a 160 lb sow. I mean it was dark. Cloudy overcast skies. Shot her at 131 yards with my Trijicon Credo HX 4-16x50. Very impressive for the money, what these scopes do in lowlight. Not far behind the Polar.

Great intel Moses. I think EuroOptic still has them on sale as well.
Originally Posted by dave7mm

Yep, the S&B 8x56 certainly works -- and works WELL. Many hunters scoff at the thought of a fixed power scope, but they'd likely change their minds after spending time with one.

8x56 S&B with 30 mm tube.
Dave

dave
From 2 years ago.
Freezer doe at 377 yards.
8x56 S&B.

dave
I have used 4x, and 6x fixed mostly on my maim bunting riflrs for years, Leupold M8's.
The last five or so I have been shooting a Leupold VX-R 1.25- 4x and just love it , very excellent low light scope .
The deer I shot last fall was almost at the end of legal light , about ten minutes left, 125 yards .
Cat
8x56 s&b Older German made one with 1”tube any ideas or reviews on it vs a Klassik with30mm tube?
© 24hourcampfire