Home
Posted By: BillyE Tenebraex vs ? - 09/18/22
What’s the preferred scope cap these days?
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Tenebraex vs ? - 09/18/22
I bought a set of Tenebraex from Tract a few years ago. I still have it but don't use the front cover. It would never stay on when flipping it up. The back is solid but gets in the way of the bolt handle when pulling it back. I have to turn it to the side a little. I may be the only one with this problem since it gets rave reviews on Tract website.

I had a set of Butler Creek on my Leupold scope for 30 years that never failed me and went through some harsh conditions from Montana to Alaska. A lot cheaper too. They just don't look as nice as the Tenebraex.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Tenebraex vs ? - 09/18/22
None...
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Tenebraex vs ? - 09/18/22
I give up on flip style covers.

Butler creek went to chit...

Haven’t tried other brands.

Use the neoprene scope coats now.

Made in USA for about 20 bones.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Tenebraex vs ? - 09/18/22
Tenebraex have worked well for me but the eye piece covers protrude to far on a low mounted scope (or scope with a 90 deg bolt lift). I just took one off this morning because of that. I like the screw in objective covers that are scope specific.

Aadmount make very strong covers and they don't protrude quite a far as the Tenebraex. Probably the best covers made and you have to pay for it. I only use one pair of them. The main reason is the noise opening and closing them. I can muffle the opening but haven't figured out how to close them quietly. In the woods on a still day it's really loud. I may end up opening/closing covers many times throughout the morning on a misty/rainy day and they're just to loud. If hunting at longer range or if it's not raining and you don't have to open/close a lot they are great.

BC's over the last 5 or 6 years, maybe more, have fallen apart on me so many times. I still use them but really don't care much for them. They are slim and quite.

I've been using a couple of pair of Vortex covers and they've been good so far. Time will tell as I only recently started using them.
Posted By: Moto_Vita Re: Tenebraex vs ? - 09/18/22
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Tenebraex have worked well for me but the eye piece covers protrude to far on a low mounted scope (or scope with a 90 deg bolt lift). I just took one off this morning because of that. I like the screw in objective covers that are scope specific.

Aadmount make very strong covers and they don't protrude quite a far as the Tenebraex. Probably the best covers made and you have to pay for it. I only use one pair of them. The main reason is the noise opening and closing them. I can muffle the opening but haven't figured out how to close them quietly. In the woods on a still day it's really loud. I may end up opening/closing covers many times throughout the morning on a misty/rainy day and they're just to loud. If hunting at longer range or if it's not raining and you don't have to open/close a lot they are great.

BC's over the last 5 or 6 years, maybe more, have fallen apart on me so many times. I still use them but really don't care much for them. They are slim and quite.

I've been using a couple of pair of Vortex covers and they've been good so far. Time will tell as I only recently started using them.
Are the Aadmount covers slip on plastic or are they threaded?
Posted By: Techsan Re: Tenebraex vs ? - 09/18/22
Purchased a Toric 3-15x42 recently and got the Tenebraex covers they sell with it. Put it on a Kimber Montana 84L. Seem well made but had to place the eyepiece cover at an odd angle to allow the bolt to come back. Higher rings would likely solve it but don't want to go higher.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Tenebraex vs ? - 09/18/22
Aadlands, or bust......
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Tenebraex vs ? - 09/18/22
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita

They are slip on and have a tension screw to tighten them down. They're very solid. I don't know the material but I believe it's printed plastic. It's much thicker and a very different animal than most slip covers.

Google search video:

Posted By: SDHNTR Re: Tenebraex vs ? - 09/18/22
Neoprene cover.
Posted By: NDHuntr Re: Tenebraex vs ? - 09/18/22
Agree with JCMCUBIC, AADMOUNT makes great scope covers, but they are loud.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Tenebraex vs ? - 09/19/22
ScopeShield or ScopeGuard neoprene covers.

Although the old Uncle Mike's QD scope covers work very well too.

Two different approaches, each have their strengths.

Yuppie Flippie Uppie scope covers are useless when after elk in the timber. In the past I have wasted a lot of time attempting to fix clients BC covers.
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Tenebraex vs ? - 09/19/22
Butler Creek bikini cover - the stretchy rubber ones
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Tenebraex vs ? - 09/19/22
chunk of truck innertube.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: 405wcf Re: Tenebraex vs ? - 09/19/22
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Butler Creek bikini cover - the stretchy rubber ones

+1
Posted By: TX35W Re: Tenebraex vs ? - 09/19/22
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita

They are slip on and have a tension screw to tighten them down. They're very solid. I don't know the material but I believe it's printed plastic. It's much thicker and a very different animal than most slip covers.

Google search video:

Admount are also my faves. I have never broken one and like everyone else on here I've prob broken dozens of other brands. I always seem to end up padding the backside of the admount covers with a huge ugly pad of duct tape in the woods to make them quieter but it seems like a small price to pay.

The tenebrex I've used work well but at least on the two NF scopes I tried them on, they seem to eat up a bunch of eye relief. Admount are very good in that respect.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Tenebraex vs ? - 09/19/22
I have Tenabraex that came with a new scope. The ocular cover is OK, but the objective cover doesn't seal and pops open really easily. Should be getting a warranty replacement, but so far I am not impressed.
Posted By: BillyE Re: Tenebraex vs ? - 09/21/22
Thank you everyone. For my use, the neoprene covers look good. I'll try those first.
© 24hourcampfire