Print Thread
Hop To
B
BillyE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
What’s the preferred scope cap these days?

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I bought a set of Tenebraex from Tract a few years ago. I still have it but don't use the front cover. It would never stay on when flipping it up. The back is solid but gets in the way of the bolt handle when pulling it back. I have to turn it to the side a little. I may be the only one with this problem since it gets rave reviews on Tract website.

I had a set of Butler Creek on my Leupold scope for 30 years that never failed me and went through some harsh conditions from Montana to Alaska. A lot cheaper too. They just don't look as nice as the Tenebraex.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
None...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I give up on flip style covers.

Butler creek went to chit...

Haven’t tried other brands.

Use the neoprene scope coats now.

Made in USA for about 20 bones.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Tenebraex have worked well for me but the eye piece covers protrude to far on a low mounted scope (or scope with a 90 deg bolt lift). I just took one off this morning because of that. I like the screw in objective covers that are scope specific.

Aadmount make very strong covers and they don't protrude quite a far as the Tenebraex. Probably the best covers made and you have to pay for it. I only use one pair of them. The main reason is the noise opening and closing them. I can muffle the opening but haven't figured out how to close them quietly. In the woods on a still day it's really loud. I may end up opening/closing covers many times throughout the morning on a misty/rainy day and they're just to loud. If hunting at longer range or if it's not raining and you don't have to open/close a lot they are great.

BC's over the last 5 or 6 years, maybe more, have fallen apart on me so many times. I still use them but really don't care much for them. They are slim and quite.

I've been using a couple of pair of Vortex covers and they've been good so far. Time will tell as I only recently started using them.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Tenebraex have worked well for me but the eye piece covers protrude to far on a low mounted scope (or scope with a 90 deg bolt lift). I just took one off this morning because of that. I like the screw in objective covers that are scope specific.

Aadmount make very strong covers and they don't protrude quite a far as the Tenebraex. Probably the best covers made and you have to pay for it. I only use one pair of them. The main reason is the noise opening and closing them. I can muffle the opening but haven't figured out how to close them quietly. In the woods on a still day it's really loud. I may end up opening/closing covers many times throughout the morning on a misty/rainy day and they're just to loud. If hunting at longer range or if it's not raining and you don't have to open/close a lot they are great.

BC's over the last 5 or 6 years, maybe more, have fallen apart on me so many times. I still use them but really don't care much for them. They are slim and quite.

I've been using a couple of pair of Vortex covers and they've been good so far. Time will tell as I only recently started using them.
Are the Aadmount covers slip on plastic or are they threaded?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Purchased a Toric 3-15x42 recently and got the Tenebraex covers they sell with it. Put it on a Kimber Montana 84L. Seem well made but had to place the eyepiece cover at an odd angle to allow the bolt to come back. Higher rings would likely solve it but don't want to go higher.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Aadlands, or bust......

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita

They are slip on and have a tension screw to tighten them down. They're very solid. I don't know the material but I believe it's printed plastic. It's much thicker and a very different animal than most slip covers.

Google search video:

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Neoprene cover.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agree with JCMCUBIC, AADMOUNT makes great scope covers, but they are loud.

Do or do not, there is no try.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
ScopeShield or ScopeGuard neoprene covers.

Although the old Uncle Mike's QD scope covers work very well too.

Two different approaches, each have their strengths.

Yuppie Flippie Uppie scope covers are useless when after elk in the timber. In the past I have wasted a lot of time attempting to fix clients BC covers.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Butler Creek bikini cover - the stretchy rubber ones

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
chunk of truck innertube.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Butler Creek bikini cover - the stretchy rubber ones

+1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita

They are slip on and have a tension screw to tighten them down. They're very solid. I don't know the material but I believe it's printed plastic. It's much thicker and a very different animal than most slip covers.

Google search video:

Admount are also my faves. I have never broken one and like everyone else on here I've prob broken dozens of other brands. I always seem to end up padding the backside of the admount covers with a huge ugly pad of duct tape in the woods to make them quieter but it seems like a small price to pay.

The tenebrex I've used work well but at least on the two NF scopes I tried them on, they seem to eat up a bunch of eye relief. Admount are very good in that respect.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Tenabraex that came with a new scope. The ocular cover is OK, but the objective cover doesn't seal and pops open really easily. Should be getting a warranty replacement, but so far I am not impressed.

B
BillyE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thank you everyone. For my use, the neoprene covers look good. I'll try those first.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

418 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 22250rem, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 160user, 42 invisible), 2,167 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,504
Posts18,472,239
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.