Home
Posted By: pabucktail Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/01/22
After becoming fed up with Leupold drama in my life I began searching for a replacement scope brand and model. I need something in a reasonable power range, with a simple uncluttered reticle, and looks at least half decent. I also wanted good glass and not too much weight. Two weeks ago my search came to a successful conclusion with the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 with German #4 reticle. I should've had one of these years ago.

[Linked Image]

This is a 30mm tube, 14 oz scope. It's on my Stainless Classic Model 70 9.3x62. I find it has excellent glass, eye box, and eye relief. Unlike the typical Leupold experience I was able to get it zeroed with only three rounds. It adjusts honestly. I find the reticle to be outstanding for deer hunting in the woods. In fact, the reticle works fine out to 300 yards for me. I've killed one buck with is so far; a chunky fellow who tried to sneak away from my still hunting but stopped about 60 yards out, a wee portion of his neck showing through a window in the brush on a gloomy day. The rifle came up, and those bold horizontals led my eye to that wonderful green dot, which promptly perched itself on a fist size gob of hair. Next thing I know, there's a bang and a buck flopping around in the moss.

This is kind of a pricey scope compared to what I'm used to, but I need at least two more of them for other rifles so I'll need to watch for sales. For what it's worth the way this reticle is pictured on Trijicon's website is totally different from how it actually is. That minor fact kept me from trying one for the last couple years. My loss then, but no more.
Posted By: JPro Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/01/22
Trijicon doesn't do the best job showing the real reticles on their website, but I also like those little green dots. A lot of my hunting is done from blinds, so the fiber optics don't come into play so much, but the Tritium is legit for those last 10 minutes of legal light. If you can still make out an animal's silhouette, you can drive the dot with no problem.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/01/22
Thanks for the picture....looks like the timber I play in. Ill have to check them out.
Posted By: OGB Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/01/22
Been casually looking for the appropriate scope for my 9.2X62. Also a M70 but blued and LH. This is on the short list along with the 3-9X40 version. Can't decide between the two.
Your picture is better than the Trijicons I looked through in Cabela's last year. I was hoping to buy one, but of all their scopes I looked though the optics were not as good as the Leupold's and the dot was barely visible. In the future if I can find one that is as good as what you are showing I may buy it.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/01/22
That pic is just what I could pull of with my phone while the rifle sat on a log. The dot appeared brighter than what the pic shows. The brightness is adjustable anyway. The glass quality is better than my VXIIs.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/01/22
One of those little green dots put down a buck for me last week, albeit in a 3-9, but also on an M70, an EW .308.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/01/22
Trijicon makes great gear.

Looks like a nice set up.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/01/22
I use their green triangle version a LOT….once you get a feel for it, it works probably better than anything else for fast AND low light, for me.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/01/22
I had a good experience with a 3-9x40 green dot Accupoint on an African hunt in September. Good scopes.
Posted By: Sixpack Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/01/22
Thanks for the information! I’ve been looking at the same scope and the picture of the reticle is much better than on their site.

The relatively shortish 3.2” eye relief was my only other concern.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/02/22
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Your picture is better than the Trijicons I looked through in Cabela's last year. I was hoping to buy one, but of all their scopes I looked though the optics were not as good as the Leupold's and the dot was barely visible. In the future if I can find one that is as good as what you are showing I may buy it.

Inside a store is a terrible place to judge optics. As to the Accupoints visibility, again inside isn’t where they’re designed to work. They need skylight for the fiber optics, or darkness for the tritium to be visible, and then it’s only visible enough to identify your aiming point. Last week I made it to my stand while it was still dead dark and while waiting for shooting light I periodically looked around in the heavy cover through my 3-9x40, hardly a night scope. A couple of minutes before legal light, I took a good look around and that green dot was visible against anything that I could have shot, though I might have had trouble avoiding branches and other obstructions at the edges of my field of view. Once there was some skylight, the FOs made the dot readily visible and it stood out nicely on the sticking spot of the buck that showed up at 0915. Battery models give better control of the illumination, but………require batteries.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/02/22
Originally Posted by Sixpack
Thanks for the information! I’ve been looking at the same scope and the picture of the reticle is much better than on their site.

Maybe I’m unusual, but I don’t find anything lacking with the eye relief on the 1-4. Another bonus compared to many scopes today is there’s plenty of mounting space.
Posted By: Sixpack Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/02/22
Originally Posted by pabucktail

Maybe I’m unusual, but I don’t find anything lacking with the eye relief on the 1-4. Another bonus compared to many scopes today is there’s plenty of mounting space.

Many thanks for all of the information you have given. I’m going to pick one up after hunting season for next year. I’m finding more and more usefulness for this type of scope for where and how I hunt: River bottoms, pine thickets, and woods where you can’t see more than 100 yards unless in a cutover or pushed lane.
Posted By: TWR Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/02/22
I have a 3-9 Accupoint with the green dot and mil dot reticle, it’s a great scope for a light weight hunting rifle. The green fiber optic is very easy to see unlike the green LED.

I have 2 Accupower’s with the red segmented circle dot and the glass seems to be a bit better than my 3-9 but the red illumination is only daylight visible.

I recently bought an Ascent 1-4 to put on a 10/22 and am very pleased with it.

Then I bought a Credo HX 1-6 with hunter holds and that red dot is daylight bright, almost Aimpoint bright. The glass on this one is a jump above the 1-4’s I have.

Trijicon has been great for me.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/02/22
Get the Credo HX. I have the same one as TWR on my Grendel and couldn’t be more pleased. The green led, btw, has almost three times the battery life as the red. Not sure about the comparative brightness.

Shot my other deer with that one in October, and the dot was very useful as she was in very deep shadow.
Yea that one was on my list too! I really like the way the AccuPoint #4 reticle looked. Any chance I can get an actual shot of the reticle on the credo? It’s very similar looking to a number 4 with a BDC type holdover, but slimmer horizontal and lower vertical plex, at least from pics I saw.

Very interested in each
I would also assume the Credo has better glass than the AccuPoint as well?

Eye relief is better
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/02/22
I just bought a 3x9 with green dot to replace a moving zero Leupold VX3.
Anxious to get it mounted. Just looking through it outside on a rainy dark day it looked like it had better glass.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/02/22
I bought a 1-6x24 Credo about a year ago. It was a decent scope, but I was getting ready for an African hunt and didn't feel that the illumination was bright and bold enough for buffalo hunting in very sunny conditions.

I ended up selling it and getting a Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 which has a much bolder reticle and brighter illumination. On my .375 H&H the Leupold performed very well on 2 buffalo and an eland.
Posted By: TWR Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/02/22
Out of all the scopes I looked at and reviews, the only dot that is daylight bright is the Credo HX with red hunter holds. Everything else is just barely visible in bright sun.

Except for the Accupoints, they are definitely daylight bright.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/03/22
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Inside a store is a terrible place to judge optics. As to the Accupoints visibility, again inside isn’t where they’re designed to work. They need skylight for the fiber optics, or darkness for the tritium to be visible, and then it’s only visible enough to identify your aiming point. Last week I made it to my stand while it was still dead dark and while waiting for shooting light I periodically looked around in the heavy cover through my 3-9x40, hardly a night scope. A couple of minutes before legal light, I took a good look around and that green dot was visible against anything that I could have shot, though I might have had trouble avoiding branches and other obstructions at the edges of my field of view. Once there was some skylight, the FOs made the dot readily visible and it stood out nicely on the sticking spot of the buck that showed up at 0915. Battery models give better control of the illumination, but………require batteries.

Sounds like your tritium needs replaced.
Posted By: drop_point Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/03/22
I've got two Accupoint 1-4xs and six VX3s. Trijicon wins in glass quality hands down. The FO is brighter than any illumination I've used. I haven't used it from a blind, but when its dark out, its still bright. I really appreciate the built-in filter that allows you to cover part of the FO.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/03/22
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Sounds like your tritium needs replaced.

Not at all. The tritium is for darkness, or very dim light, FO for daylight. Both Accupoints are only about a year old.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/03/22
Point was: you can’t cut the tritium off, and your description implied that you couldn’t see the dot in the dark/before the fiber optic had enough light to work….but maybe I just misread that?

FWIW, there are no conditions I’ve ever found where the illuminated portion of the reticle isn’t easily visible….from pitch dark to ultra bright sun….unless something is amiss. I’ve used a 1-4 behind a thermal clip-on a LOT….even works great for that.
Posted By: Sixpack Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/18/22
Well…. I bought the same scope, put it on my Model 70 Featherweight in 308, mounted in Leupy Dual Dovetails, lapped the rings, and had almost the exact same results…it took me 4 rounds to get zeroed!😂

Glass is awesome, tracking wonderful, reticle is useful, and the dot is better than I ever thought it would be! Also shot my best 3 round group at 100 yards with this rifle! I’m veddy impressed

Thanks for all the info in this thread! It pushed me to buy it!
Posted By: drop_point Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/18/22
Glad you like it!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/18/22
Point was: you can’t cut the tritium off, and your description implied that you couldn’t see the dot in the dark/before the fiber optic had enough light to work….but maybe I just misread that?

FWIW, there are no conditions I’ve ever found where the illuminated portion of the reticle isn’t easily visible….from pitch dark to ultra bright sun….unless something is amiss. I’ve used a 1-4 behind a thermal clip-on a LOT….even works great for that.

What I said was, “A couple of minutes before legal light, I took a good look around and that green dot was visible against anything that I could have shot, though I might have had trouble avoiding branches and other obstructions at the edges of my field of view.”, so either I wasn’t clear enough, or you misread it. No matter.

I agree the dot is usable under all conditions except when I’m in a dark place and the target is in good light. The tritium doesn’t help there, and the FO can’t collect enough to show up. Have yet to have that happen afield, but I don’t hunt from blinds or sheds. In the instance I described, a brighter scope would have made the sticks and other stuff more visible I think, but those conditions only lasted a very few moments until things brightened up somewhat, right about legal light. I’m a big proponent of those scopes, and have two on prime hunting rifles. Might buy more, though I have too many scopes as it is. I wish more of their models had that near-perfect duplex.
Also… thanks Pappy348 for all the additional info you provided. I went back and forth between the AccuPoint and Credo HX but ultimately the #4 reticle was the deciding factor
Posted By: CRS Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/18/22
I am a fan of the Trijicon's. Really like the Accupoints as there is no switch to fumble with for illumination. Solid, dependable hunting scope.
Good deal.

Now go forth and slay……..
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/18/22
Well…. I bought the same scope, put it on my Model 70 Featherweight in 308, mounted in Leupy Dual Dovetails, lapped the rings, and had almost the exact same results…it took me 4 rounds to get zeroed!😂

Glass is awesome, tracking wonderful, reticle is useful, and the dot is better than I ever thought it would be! Also shot my best 3 round group at 100 yards with this rifle! I’m veddy impressed

I love mine. How do you find the eye relief?
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/18/22
Point was: you can’t cut the tritium off, and your description implied that you couldn’t see the dot in the dark/before the fiber optic had enough light to work….but maybe I just misread that?…..

That was all. Thanks for clarifying.

The 1-4 is a good, fast GP medium range scope, for me. IF you need better resolution right at legal, for sticks and limbs etc, you need more objective…..but I haven’t noticed much better until I get to 42-56mm stuff, save for a few select things I’ve tried….like the Zeiss 1.8-5.5x36….which has a size/weight penalty, and the discontinued Razor LHs in 1.5-8 and 2-10. FWIW, the 5.5 on the Zeiss seems like 6-8x on some other stuff….but I haven’t seen anyone test that theory and I haven’t hunted all of those as much as the Trijicon 1-4.
I have a Credo HX 2.5-10x56, and it’s a bit more than I care to tote around for deer, 25oz, as compared to 13 for the 3-9 Accupoint, not to mention the considerable bulk.

Maybe when I get old (!) and hunt close to my truck…….
Originally Posted by pabucktail

I love mine. How do you find the eye relief?

Actually just as you said! It is a nonissue! Eyebox is good so I set scope on 4x and adjusted position to that power. Really scope is pretty will centered in rings!

Thanks for your review! You put me on a winner me thinks!!
Posted By: JD7 Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/18/22
I suspect the only problem with the accupoints is they are just out of the price range for most hunters/shooters. I own three now and am almost to the point where I don’t want anything else. Good, clear, light gathering glass. Rugged build. They are fast for up close and precise for farther distances. The reticle illumination requires no batteries or adjustment it is always a perfect match for the ambient light whether it be high noon or a full moon night, just shoulder and shoot. One of the best hunting scopes ever made if you ask me
Posted By: drop_point Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/18/22
Originally Posted by JD7
I suspect the only problem with the accupoints is they are just out of the price range for most hunters/shooters. I own three now and am almost to the point where I don’t want anything else. Good, clear, light gathering glass. Rugged build. They are fast for up close and precise for farther distances. The reticle illumination requires no batteries or adjustment it is always a perfect match for the ambient light whether it be high noon or a full moon night, just shoulder and shoot. One of the best hunting scopes ever made if you ask me

I've got two myself, and I often wonder why I don't have more of them. I have quite a few Zeiss Conquests and Leupold VX-3s and I must say the Accupoint out-classes them both.
Posted By: djb Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/19/22
I have a green mildot 3-9 on the way. I'm starting to be hesitant now that this scope many multiply and displace some others. It is on the border of too $$$ for my tastes, but I'm to the point where I want perfect rifle set ups over adequate and have been down sizing to do so.

I still love my M8 4x and SWFA's, but the later tend to make a carrying rifle a little top heavy
, and those big windage knobs could be eliminated.
Posted By: Sixpack Re: Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 - 12/19/22
Originally Posted by djb
I have a green mildot 3-9 on the way. I'm starting to be hesitant now that this scope many multiply and displace some others. It is on the border of too $$$ for my tastes, but I'm to the point where I want perfect rifle set ups over adequate and have been down sizing to do so.

I still love my M8 4x and SWFA's, but the later tend to make a carrying rifle a little top heavy
, and those big windage knobs could be eliminated.

This point and JD7s point on cost were my hang ups also. Before this, $500 was my budget and I have killed a lot of game inside of that budget, sometimes much less. But I also downsized and wanted very specific, as close to ideal setups for my main rifles. I’ve got one down and two to go for my main three. A duplex green dot 3-9x40 will follow after hunting season, then I’ll be down to one more.

My other rifles, I’m very happy with Burris FFII, SWFA, and conquests. But these three, will be where I want them soon. So in short, I totally agree with everything you said. It mirrors where I am also!

Its an expensive hobby….
© 24hourcampfire