Home
Over the last few years I moved my older Leupold scopes to my rimfire plinking rifles. I have replaced them on all of my centerfires with premium glass from Leica, Leupold, Schmidt and bender, and Zeiss.

I’m doing a budget build as a gift for a new shooter/hunter and need a scope recommendation. The rifle is an older Remington BDL in 308. In today’s market what is a $200 scope that would be a good starter for this rifle? Again, It is going to a brand new hunter.
If you can find one.. a Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II
I’ll 2nd the Burris. Currently have about 6 or 7 of them on various rifles and they can’t be beat for the money.
Burris Droptine.
Gonna look at Burris stuff.
Originally Posted by MosesTucker

Good choice for your application. I have 4 of them.

Check out the Fullfield II 4.5-14x42mm Ballistic Plex. They are only a few dollars more than the 3-9. Nice scope for the money.
Burris has never made a scope worth a fhuqk and it's THE Dirtiest Of Tricks,to slip a Newb a piece of fhuqking schit like that. Hint...............
I am not Leupold fan but I would suggest a VX Freedom over a Burris. I have one on a rimfire and it is just OK. On a full sized BDL, I'd also try to keep things as light as possible.
Over the last few years I moved my older Leupold scopes to my rimfire clinking rifles. I have replaced them on all of my centerfires with premium glass from Leica, Leupold, Schmidt and bender, and Zeiss.

I’m doing a budget build as a gift for a new shooter/hunter and need a scope recommendation. The rifle is an older Remington BDL in 308. In today’s market what is a $200 scope that would be a good starter for this rifle? Again, It is going to a brand new hunter.

Take a look at the Sig Sauer Buckmasters 3-9x40mm - BDC
Was hoping Doug would comment. Thanks
Was hoping Doug would comment. Thanks

I thought Big Stick was a parallel universe Doug......no?
I like the Burris except for the eye relief. You could do worse than a used set and forget Leupold or Redfield Revolution 3-9x40. The eye relief is more forgiving and the glass seems about equal to the Burris.
I agree on the notion of a used Redfield Revolution. Very user friendly. In this price range, I've had the least failures/problems with the Revolutions, new or used.

FFII 3-9X40 WITH the ballistic plex reticle is the best of the bunch.. There's no question what I'd go with. Don't be too surprised when they are hitting targets very easily out to 4-500 yards with that set up. You'll be scratching your nutsack, wondering why you've never tried one for yourself.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

FFII 3-9X40 WITH the ballistic plex reticle is the best of the bunch.. There's no question what I'd go with. Don't be too surprised when they are hitting targets very easily out to 4-500 yards with that set up. You'll be scratching your nutsack, wondering why you've never tried one for yourself.

I will be scratching my Nutsack regardless…

But I am gonna look at that FFII !
Another vote for the Burris Fullfield II. The E1 is also nice if you can live with the floating reticle. These are the best deal going on a set it and forget it type scope imo. They have great glass, are very durable, stand up to lots of abuse and still hold zero, and are backed by great customer service.

I own a Redfield Revolution mentioned here as well, and it's not nearly as good of a scope as the Burris imo.
My recent samples of one FFII and one Droptine made all my Revolutions look like $500 scopes by comparison. Both were horrible with regards to edge distortion at 9x. Like fishbowls. Maybe I got bad ones......
Originally Posted by himmelrr
I am not Leupold fan but I would suggest a VX Freedom over a Burris. I have one on a rimfire and it is just OK. On a full sized BDL, I'd also try to keep things as light as possible.

So you prefer it over the Burris you owned?
I’m not positive but isn’t the BURRIS DROPTINE just basically the same scope as the BURRIS FULLFIELD II just with a separate power ring and different look.
Originally Posted by nuguy
I’m not positive but isn’t the BURRIS DROPTINE just basically the same scope as the BURRIS FULLFIELD II just with a separate power ring and different look.

Doug laid out the differences here a few times before. I'll be damned if I remember. IIRC the Droptine has a few functional improvements.
https://www.amazon.com/Burris-42mm-Fullfield-Ballistic-Riflescope/dp/B000MM2QU8/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=Burris%2BFF%2BII%2B4.5-14x42&qid=1697579413&s=hunting-fishing&sr=1-6&th=1

3-9x40, 4.5-14x42, or 6.5-20

It is definitely entry level, but they work well enough for what I do that I have bought six this summer. Five of the 4.5-14 and one 3-9 ti fit a set of low rings where the larger scope did not work. The price was $139 a few weeks ago, it has come up.

The image quality is on par with my other schitt scopes: Bushnell 4200, Leupold VX 2, Leupold VX 3i, and Vortex Viper. I only twist the turrets enough to get a zero at 250 to 300 yds depending on trajectory. The Burris has an etched reticle which can be used significantly further.
I see Amazon also has the Droptines at a price comparable to the FF II. If buying now, that is the way I would go in either 3-9 or 4.5-14.
A fixed 6X SWFA would be a very good choice. That is a scope that does not cost much, but adjusts properly and has good glass. I put one on my daughter's Tikka T3 .308 and have hunted with it myself a few times. It is a solid optic.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by nuguy

Doug laid out the differences here a few times before. I'll be damned if I remember. IIRC the Droptine has a few functional improvements.

Yes a separate zoom ring as I recall.
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Over the last few years I moved my older Leupold scopes to my rimfire clinking rifles. I have replaced them on all of my centerfires with premium glass from Leica, Leupold, Schmidt and bender, and Zeiss.

Doug @ CL will have what ya need/want

FFII 3-9X40 WITH the [b]ballistic plex reticle is the best of the bunch..[/b] There's no question what I'd go with. Don't be too surprised when they are hitting targets very easily out to 4-500 yards with that set up. You'll be scratching your nutsack, wondering why you've never tried one for yourself.
This.
Originally Posted by EdM

Originally Posted by EdM

Yes I do. In regards to the Sig options, the Whiskey series is good but hated the “looking through a tunnel” when using it.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
A fixed 6X SWFA would be a very good choice. That is a scope that does not cost much, but adjusts properly and has good glass. I put one on my daughter's Tikka T3 .308 and have hunted with it myself a few times. It is a solid optic.

That's my first choice. I think it's the most for the least.
Hard to beat the Burris and you won't be giving your money to China.

The VX-Freedom is reasonably priced too. I may prefer it to the Burris but they perform the same to my eyes.

FWIW the Burris Fullfield IV- are Chinese. The FF2 and Droptine are not. Neither is the Leupold....of course.
Originally Posted by EdM

Originally Posted by EdM

Yes I do. In regards to the Sig options, the Whiskey series is good but hated the “looking through a tunnel” when using it.

Why would be helpful for one trying to make a decision.
Originally Posted by JPro
My recent samples of one FFII and one Droptine made all my Revolutions look like $500 scopes by comparison. Both were horrible with regards to edge distortion at 9x. Like fishbowls. Maybe I got bad ones......

This distortion issue at 9X is bad in my experience with them also.

I do like the Droptine ocular adjustment better than the FFll where the whole eyepiece moves, but the power adjustment on the Droptine is so tight that it practically needs a strap wrench to turn it.
On the two FFll and two Droptines that I own the adjustments are mushy and tend to hang up for a shot or two after adjusting.

The biggest thing they have going for them IMO is the BDC - I really like their version, I don't understand why more manufacturers aren't making a similar one as a standard reticle.

Then there is the price - even with all that is not quite right about them the price makes them a bargain in the inexpensive scope market.

drover
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

FFII 3-9X40 WITH the [b]ballistic plex reticle is the best of the bunch..[/b] There's no question what I'd go with. Don't be too surprised when they are hitting targets very easily out to 4-500 yards with that set up. You'll be scratching your nutsack, wondering why you've never tried one for yourself.
This.

I have to expound on the use of the Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. My new to me rifle (Winchester model 70 Classic Compact), that I've set up for my girlfriend:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's one 3 shot group per yardage (200, 300 and 400 yards). Targets are marked, as per usual, with the relevant info...

This is why I always say this is the easy button. The last 3 shots taken on they yote were from the mag and shot relatively quickly. This one is ready to rock and roll for the girlfriend. She loves it.. Good luck to the OP. .
The ole Bushnell 4200's were kick azz Jap glass....back when......
Wait, this is the optics forum - at no time can any scope but the most expensive be recommended (or even tolerated). If the cost of the best scope doesn't leave enough money for a rifle, so be it. wink
i have the 4.5x14 burris ballistic plex, side focus, actually 4 of them

main rifle is a tikka 6.5prc in talley lw, it rides on the rack in the sxs, 1468 miles as of today, only time it comes out of sxs is to kill or on the snowmobile

37 coyotes, 7 deer , 3 elk, in 2 years, out to 713 yards,
have not touched the adjusment dials, rarely move it off 14x, 130 berger at 3180fps,
just one guys experience
Entry level scope = Bushnell Banner, Tasco World Class, Simmons 8 point. They generally run 40 - 75.00 and shytloads of game gets killed every season by hunters using them.
I have as many Fullfield II scopes as any other brand, and had never noticed the supposedly distracting fuzziness at the edge of the field of view. Just looked at a couple and can see a little, maybe enough to bother me in binoculars.

But one thing I've noticed over the decades is we generally aim with the big middle of the field of view in scopes, not the very edge. And the middle, on down to the bottom hashmark in the Ballistic Plex reticle, is plenty sharp enough to use. As BSA's post demonstrated.
^^^This^^^

Hard to argue with BSA's results.
If you're looking at the Burris, I like the Fullfield E1 with etched reticle. Looking through it against the Fullfield IV, I bought the E1. Don't know the difference except it looked much clearer to me. Plus a great price. I've had no troubles so far with it.
I’d consider contacting Doug about a Sightron S1 G2. Mine has a touch of the fuzziness at the edge of the lens that has been noted on the Burris, but it far from distracting. As Mule Deer noted, never notice it in use.

Just another option to consider that is slightly above your price point, at least advertised pricing. Again, I think Doug would give you an honest opinion and a fair price.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...013a-7d35-00163ecd2826?variation=3250940
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

That's my first choice. I think it's the most for the least.
+1
Originally Posted by drano 25
I’d consider contacting Doug about a Sightron S1 G2. Mine has a touch of the fuzziness at the edge of the lens that has been noted on the Burris, but it far from distracting. As Mule Deer noted, never notice it in use.

Just another option to consider that is slightly above your price point, at least advertised pricing. Again, I think Doug would give you an honest opinion and a fair price.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...013a-7d35-00163ecd2826?variation=3250940

ALWAYS our pleasure to assist. Give us a call, 516-217-1000
There does not seem to be much love for bushnells. Both the trophy and the legend are good low end scopes.
I have a number of Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 scopes with the Ballistic Plex reticle and they have worked well for me. In fact, I've used them to replace other scopes that seemed erratic and they have always solved the problem. For the price and weight they are a bargain. The eye relief is a bit short at 9x so I wouldn't put them on a really hard kicker, but for most rifles they are fine.
I'd try to find a Nikon Pro Staff 3-9X40 in good condition on eBay. They're discontinued. But they're a great scope for the money.
Tract Response 2.5x10x44
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug

i second this.
Leupold VX1, Burris FF11, Vortex Diamondback any would be fine and don't be scared to buy used either.
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
I like the Burris except for the eye relief. You could do worse than a used set and forget Leupold or Redfield Revolution 3-9x40. The eye relief is more forgiving and the glass seems about equal to the Burris.

Yep, used budget scopes aren't too bad. I have both the 2-7 burris fullfield 2 and a redfield 2-7. One was a gift for helping move furniture. The other was $50.

Both have done fine. The 2-7 redfield on the loaner 308 has been used with about 200-250 200 grain handloads. And about 80-100 rounds of 180 grain factory ammo.

The burris is on my 338 rcm and has been used for about 150 rounds of 225 grain sst ammo and about 200 rounds of 225 grain handloads.

Neither has lost zero. Both are compact and lightweight at 11-12 oz. Burris has the ballistic plex, Redfield has the accu-range. Both have been used at 500 yds. Nothing special, mostly hits on 12"x12" plywood squares with occasional misses. Even occasional misses at 400 yds! I wish I could blame the scopes......

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Over the last few years I moved my older Leupold scopes to my rimfire plinking rifles. I have replaced them on all of my centerfires with premium glass from Leica, Leupold, Schmidt and bender, and Zeiss.

I just swapped a 20 year old Nikon Buckmaster to an AR that I had setting in the gun locker. It dialed right up and settled in with zero difficulty. I was wondering if the new Sig Buckmaster was built on the same set of plans as the old Nikon Buckmasters. I would consider buying one or 2 if they are.

kwg
I forced one of the guys who camps near us elk hunting to buy 2 new Burris FF2 4.5-14’s for a 300 WM & daughter’s 30-06 replacing a very fuzzy vx1 & a vortex Diamondback. Sighted them in at my place, helped with some marksmanship & gave him a print out of what the plex distances were.

He mad a 1shot kill at 360 on a decent buck - his farthest shot ever. She killed her first big game animal a rag horn bull after 10 year’s hunting. They work as advertised- simple & effective.
I bought a Meopta 3-9 scope off of a member. I also picked up a drop tone used locally. But I am gonna get a Burris FFII or an E1.

Whatever doesn’t go on this 308 will go on some other stuff I’m working on. This has been extremely helpful I appreciate everyone’s shared experiences and input.
Saw this this am, burris e1 $125

https://www.sportoptics.com/burris-rifle-scopes-200330.html
Here's one in the classifieds.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...onew/1/burris-fullfield-ii-3-9x40#UNREAD
I'd take a Bushnell Prime over a Burris Fullfield any day.
Can you stretch the budget a little?

I just got done testing out one of these on my 6.5 manbun TC Dimension. It tracks accurately and repeatedly. The illuminated reticle doesn't suck. The turrets lock. The glass isn't alpha but doesn't suck.

Bushnell at Euro Optic
Originally Posted by killerv

That seems like a really sweet deal.
Originally Posted by goalie

I just got done testing out one of these on my 6.5 manbun TC Dimension. It tracks accurately and repeatedly. The illuminated reticle doesn't suck. The turrets lock. The glass isn't alpha but doesn't suck.

Bushnell at Euro Optic

Yeah definitely gonna take a look at this.
Another vote for the SWFA 6x. Can't say as I've found a better value on just about anything.
Where were all these "for a new/young hunter" 40 years ago?

When my (then)skinny ass was mowing lawns and skipping school lunches to buy a rifle.

40 years ago this month, bought a Vanguard 243. $318.
That was before they had models, it was a Mark V look a like.
Didn't have money for a scope, wasn't sure how I could hunt with it.
My birthday is early November, dang if Dad didn't buy my a Tasco World Class and a set of Weavers.

$80 for that scope then, a splurge. Way big birthday present.
(Thinking Dad got the best gift😉)

Consider the price of good, cheap scopes today?
150-200 2023 dollars buys a scope likely superior to the World Class.
What else can you buy for twice the 1984 prices.

Except electrical stuff.
Originally Posted by goalie

Bushnell at Euro Optic

Confirmed 200 yard zero again before rifle season opens Saturday. I really like the reticle and illumination for a hunting scope.

We'll see if somehow I manage to kill something with it despite it being a Bushnell....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Not mentioned so far, but Natchez still carries the Weaver Classic Series of Scopes. If I were putting an economy build together I would consider a 30mm Tube 4-16X Weaver Classic for $215.

I have not used this exact scope however I have Five Weaver Classic Extreme Scopes. I like them for the money.

Bob R
© 24hourcampfire