Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
https://www.amazon.com/Burris-42mm-Fullfield-Ballistic-Riflescope/dp/B000MM2QU8/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=Burris%2BFF%2BII%2B4.5-14x42&qid=1697579413&s=hunting-fishing&sr=1-6&th=1

3-9x40, 4.5-14x42, or 6.5-20

It is definitely entry level, but they work well enough for what I do that I have bought six this summer. Five of the 4.5-14 and one 3-9 ti fit a set of low rings where the larger scope did not work. The price was $139 a few weeks ago, it has come up.

The image quality is on par with my other schitt scopes: Bushnell 4200, Leupold VX 2, Leupold VX 3i, and Vortex Viper. I only twist the turrets enough to get a zero at 250 to 300 yds depending on trajectory. The Burris has an etched reticle which can be used significantly further.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I see Amazon also has the Droptines at a price comparable to the FF II. If buying now, that is the way I would go in either 3-9 or 4.5-14.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A fixed 6X SWFA would be a very good choice. That is a scope that does not cost much, but adjusts properly and has good glass. I put one on my daughter's Tikka T3 .308 and have hunted with it myself a few times. It is a solid optic.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by nuguy
I’m not positive but isn’t the BURRIS DROPTINE just basically the same scope as the BURRIS FULLFIELD II just with a separate power ring and different look.

Doug laid out the differences here a few times before. I'll be damned if I remember. IIRC the Droptine has a few functional improvements.

Yes a separate zoom ring as I recall.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by MosesTucker
Over the last few years I moved my older Leupold scopes to my rimfire clinking rifles. I have replaced them on all of my centerfires with premium glass from Leica, Leupold, Schmidt and bender, and Zeiss.

I’m doing a budget build as a gift for a new shooter/hunter and need a scope recommendation. The rifle is an older Remington BDL in 308. In today’s market what is a $200 scope that would be a good starter for this rifle? Again, It is going to a brand new hunter.

Take a look at the Sig Sauer Buckmasters 3-9x40mm - BDC

Doug @ CL will have what ya need/want

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Gonna look at Burris stuff.

FFII 3-9X40 WITH the [b]ballistic plex reticle is the best of the bunch..[/b] There's no question what I'd go with. Don't be too surprised when they are hitting targets very easily out to 4-500 yards with that set up. You'll be scratching your nutsack, wondering why you've never tried one for yourself.
This.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 10/17/23.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by himmelrr
I am not Leupold fan but I would suggest a VX Freedom over a Burris. I have one on a rimfire and it is just OK. On a full sized BDL, I'd also try to keep things as light as possible.

So you prefer it over the Burris you owned?
Originally Posted by EdM
I am not Leupold fan but I would suggest a VX Freedom over a Burris. I have one on a rimfire and it is just OK. On a full sized BDL, I'd also try to keep things as light as possible.

Yes I do. In regards to the Sig options, the Whiskey series is good but hated the “looking through a tunnel” when using it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
A fixed 6X SWFA would be a very good choice. That is a scope that does not cost much, but adjusts properly and has good glass. I put one on my daughter's Tikka T3 .308 and have hunted with it myself a few times. It is a solid optic.

That's my first choice. I think it's the most for the least.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to beat the Burris and you won't be giving your money to China.

The VX-Freedom is reasonably priced too. I may prefer it to the Burris but they perform the same to my eyes.

FWIW the Burris Fullfield IV- are Chinese. The FF2 and Droptine are not. Neither is the Leupold....of course.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM

Originally Posted by EdM

Yes I do. In regards to the Sig options, the Whiskey series is good but hated the “looking through a tunnel” when using it.

Why would be helpful for one trying to make a decision.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JPro
My recent samples of one FFII and one Droptine made all my Revolutions look like $500 scopes by comparison. Both were horrible with regards to edge distortion at 9x. Like fishbowls. Maybe I got bad ones......

This distortion issue at 9X is bad in my experience with them also.

I do like the Droptine ocular adjustment better than the FFll where the whole eyepiece moves, but the power adjustment on the Droptine is so tight that it practically needs a strap wrench to turn it.
On the two FFll and two Droptines that I own the adjustments are mushy and tend to hang up for a shot or two after adjusting.

The biggest thing they have going for them IMO is the BDC - I really like their version, I don't understand why more manufacturers aren't making a similar one as a standard reticle.

Then there is the price - even with all that is not quite right about them the price makes them a bargain in the inexpensive scope market.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Gonna look at Burris stuff.

FFII 3-9X40 WITH the [b]ballistic plex reticle is the best of the bunch..[/b] There's no question what I'd go with. Don't be too surprised when they are hitting targets very easily out to 4-500 yards with that set up. You'll be scratching your nutsack, wondering why you've never tried one for yourself.
This.

I have to expound on the use of the Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. My new to me rifle (Winchester model 70 Classic Compact), that I've set up for my girlfriend:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's one 3 shot group per yardage (200, 300 and 400 yards). Targets are marked, as per usual, with the relevant info...

This is why I always say this is the easy button. The last 3 shots taken on they yote were from the mag and shot relatively quickly. This one is ready to rock and roll for the girlfriend. She loves it.. Good luck to the OP. .

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The ole Bushnell 4200's were kick azz Jap glass....back when......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wait, this is the optics forum - at no time can any scope but the most expensive be recommended (or even tolerated). If the cost of the best scope doesn't leave enough money for a rifle, so be it. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have the 4.5x14 burris ballistic plex, side focus, actually 4 of them

main rifle is a tikka 6.5prc in talley lw, it rides on the rack in the sxs, 1468 miles as of today, only time it comes out of sxs is to kill or on the snowmobile

37 coyotes, 7 deer , 3 elk, in 2 years, out to 713 yards,
have not touched the adjusment dials, rarely move it off 14x, 130 berger at 3180fps,
just one guys experience

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Entry level scope = Bushnell Banner, Tasco World Class, Simmons 8 point. They generally run 40 - 75.00 and shytloads of game gets killed every season by hunters using them.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have as many Fullfield II scopes as any other brand, and had never noticed the supposedly distracting fuzziness at the edge of the field of view. Just looked at a couple and can see a little, maybe enough to bother me in binoculars.

But one thing I've noticed over the decades is we generally aim with the big middle of the field of view in scopes, not the very edge. And the middle, on down to the bottom hashmark in the Ballistic Plex reticle, is plenty sharp enough to use. As BSA's post demonstrated.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
^^^This^^^

Hard to argue with BSA's results.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're looking at the Burris, I like the Fullfield E1 with etched reticle. Looking through it against the Fullfield IV, I bought the E1. Don't know the difference except it looked much clearer to me. Plus a great price. I've had no troubles so far with it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I’d consider contacting Doug about a Sightron S1 G2. Mine has a touch of the fuzziness at the edge of the lens that has been noted on the Burris, but it far from distracting. As Mule Deer noted, never notice it in use.

Just another option to consider that is slightly above your price point, at least advertised pricing. Again, I think Doug would give you an honest opinion and a fair price.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...013a-7d35-00163ecd2826?variation=3250940

Last edited by drano 25; 10/18/23.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (257Bob, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 78 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,685
Posts18,493,969
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.