Home
Posted By: Jerny Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/16/24
Just what the title says. I have several Nikons that I had got over the years and just wondering people’s opinions on if they have kept theirs or sold them off. Looking at eBay, there is still a solid market for them. What do you all think?
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/16/24
I have several of them. I won't give them up until they die and are unusable.

It's a shame Nikon got out of the scope business.

kwg
Originally Posted by Jerny
Just what the title says. I have several Nikons that I had got over the years and just wondering people’s opinions on if they have kept theirs or sold them off. Looking at eBay, there is still a solid market for them. What do you all think?

I sold all of mine off. Same goes for Bushnell elites, and most of my Leupolds. Nikon used to give you something, like a credit towards other products they still sell. Like binoculars and range finders. That is better than nothing, I guess...
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/16/24
I'm in no rush to get rid of my Nikons. All were good optics when I bought them and they haven't failed me yet.
The monarch Uccs were great glass, so are their spotters.
Posted By: Osky Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/16/24
I’ve got some Nikons and I’m every bit happy with them. Ive actually got Swaro’s and Zeiss as well, I don’t hesitate one second pulling out a rifle outfitted with a Nikon.

Of the brands I have listed above and also Leupolds and a couple top end weavers I have, I think the Zeiss are the most questionable as far as bang for the buck.

Osky
Posted By: Xlr8n Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/16/24
I still have a couple Nikon's on my go-to rifles and just picked up another off ebay for a .223 I put together. I've never had an issue with a Nikon.
I had a Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40 croak on me last spring. Sent it to Nikon and they gave me a credit toward something they still sell. Glass was better than the price point would suggest. Nikon is now on the anti hunting train, so I try to avoid them.
I have a 2x EER on a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in .45colt.

Thing has remained perfect despite a ton of hot n heavy 45colt loads

Not in any hurry to get rid of it
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/16/24
I've got one left on a muzzleloader. The rest have moved on but they still sell well
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/16/24
I have 2 Monarch 2x8-32 both on M7's, a 4x12-40 & 5.5x16.5-44 , all have performed great for many years.

The 5.5x16 has been through load development on a few sporter-weight big boomers, R-700 375RUM , CZ 375 H&H , 300RUM. My friend kept the scope on the RUM's for quite a few rounds out of each - it still holds a rock solid zero.
Posted By: Potsy Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/17/24
My 2-7x32 Monarch has held up well. Pretty bright too.
I have a 4x40 Buckmaster that gets used more, holds zero, but is pretty “meh” in terms of glass/brightness (of course, it was their budget line at the time).
I’ll have them till they puke.
Posted By: kappa8 Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/17/24
Four Nikon here. All functioning as designed and outperforming many "premier" marquees. If any should ever "let go", will send for voucher toward another Nikon product.
Posted By: erich Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/17/24
I have one on my combo gun and it works great. .if it dies it will get replaced with something else just because I'd have to buy used and there is no support.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/17/24
I like them and I have several.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/17/24
I only have one Nikon scope, a Monarch UCC 3.3-10 that was on a ruger No 1B .308 when I bought it. I never used it. Not wanting a scope that physically big on that rifle, I put a VX III 1.5 - 5 on the rifle. I guess I have to find something to do with the Nikon now.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/17/24
I never owned one but know people who do and like them.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/17/24
I had a Nikon Monarch that was on the rifle I sold.

I used it for several years and as I remember it had optics and quality a bit better than Leupold, but I don't remember if it was made in Japan or elsewhere. I would keep using it unless there's a reason to move it.
Posted By: MAC Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/17/24
I have a Nikon 4X on my 308. It is a good scope and does what I need it to do.
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/17/24
Depending on ones price range and desired feature set, they still offer some good binos and spotters. This fall I hunted with a guy who had Monarch 7 Binos. They were very good.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/17/24
Why would you get rid of a perfectly good scope and take a beating on the sale simply because it isn't sold anymore? What are you gaining?
My Nikons all work as well as they always have.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/17/24
Nikon optics are as good as ever. Their top end scopes & binoculars still compete well with anything.
My Superior SE binoculars are still my reference standard for judging binoculars.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/17/24
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Why would you get rid of a perfectly good scope and take a beating on the sale simply because it isn't sold anymore? What are you gaining?

This⬆️

…..unless you have some unreasonable fear of being without a warranty. I have a refurbed crossbow scope. Works fine and is simple and very light and compact. If it craps, I’ll see what they’ll come up with….
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by NVhntr

This⬆️

…..unless you have some unreasonable fear of being without a warranty. I have a refurbed crossbow scope. Works fine and is simple and very light and compact. If it craps, I’ll see what they’ll come up with….

My issue with them is that they are anti-hunting, therefore I am anti-Nikon.

I was a fan back when they were pro hunting. I have owned some very nice LX binos and Monarch scopes with the Nikon name on them but they made the change about 7-8 years ago and so did I. All I have left is a 4x32 Prostaff, may even sell that soon. Too bad, they were very nice optics for the price points they were hitting.
Very happy with mine. See no reason to get rid of scopes or binoculars that work just perfectly fine. Especially like the Monarchs.
Posted By: Xlr8n Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/17/24
Cut off your nose to spite your face? Meh. If you research the Nikon decision and consider the public stance on guns and gun ownership in Japan today, I totally get that it was a market driven and political decision for them as a company. They aren't anti-hunting, they have just become neutral and aren't marketing to hunting anymore.
Bottom line: They were pressed into either giving up a very small share of the rifle scope market, or begin to lose their extremely large market share of cameras and lenses. (Plus, the scope market is a tough gig today with all the Chinacom crap in the low to middle price bracket.)

The fact that Nikon are still willing to offer vouchers as warranty for scopes keeps me in their camp.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/17/24
I never had a Nikon Rifle scope fail . I did have a Nikon rangefinder go kaput.
Posted By: richj Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/17/24
Have 3 or 4 Nikon scopes. Don't plan to replace them.

I have an FE film and a D750 I use a lot and a very old F2 Hi-viewfinder that was in a tour in Vietnam. All my Nikon lenses from the 80's work on the D750.

other film camera Canon AE-1, Pentax K2-DMD.

I've shot a roll out of each film camera a few month ago but don't plan to use them.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/17/24
On second thought I think you’re on to something.
Post it up in the classifieds for half what you paid for it.
You don’t want that tainted Nikon anti hunter scope to have your buddies laughing at you on your next hunt.
Posted By: Japlvr Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/18/24
I still have 4 Nikons. 3 Monarchs & a P3 crossbow scope. Sold every Leupold that I owned. Don't plan on selling any of the Nikons.
Mine won't be going anywhere. I've been very happy with them.
Posted By: BooBear Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/18/24
I just bought a 4 x16 Nikon Black from our local gun store off a gun for $300 it is a great scope
I have and use a pre-Monarch fixed 4x (40mm obj). Great scope. High resolution, and it has been flawless. I had a pre-Monarch 3-9x that was similarly outstanding. I gave it, and the rifle it was mounted (Howa 1500 308 Win) to my niece and her husband years ago. Still working great.

Too bad Nikon got out of the scope business. I am a big fan of that pre-Monarch 4x. Not selling it.

I like my fixed B&L 4x 40mm a great deal too.
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/18/24
I'm still a big fan of the older Japanese Monarch UCC scopes, and the Monarch African 1-4x w/ #4 reticle is one of my favorite scopes.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/19/24
I have a Monarch African 1-4x scope and it works fine. I also have 2 Monarch 7 binoculars. They're good binoculars and we still use them.
Posted By: Jerny Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/19/24
I started this just to see what peoples opinions are. I have several Nikons and love them. I pulled out a rifle I haven't had the time to shoot in a bit as I moved across country and was in a 5th wheel for a bit before that. About to close on some property, so was looking at the scopes and rifles that I have and what scopes I have not mounted from wheeling and dealing and upgrading. I still have no problem keeping them or running them as they are great optics in my opinion, I just like hearing other peoples opinions. I understand people selling things off as wants and needs change though.
Posted By: Xlr8n Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/19/24
Originally Posted by Jerny
I started this just to see what peoples opinions are. I have several Nikons and love them. I pulled out a rifle I haven't had the time to shoot in a bit as I moved across country and was in a 5th wheel for a bit before that. About to close on some property, so was looking at the scopes and rifles that I have and what scopes I have not mounted from wheeling and dealing and upgrading. I still have no problem keeping them or running them as they are great optics in my opinion, I just like hearing other peoples opinions. I understand people selling things off as wants and needs change though.

I'd guess in another 10 o 15 years they'll become like Bausch and Lomb's...too outdated to be considered cool. But for now they still rival most anything on the market in a mid-tier scope. I suppose a few B&L guys will put me in my place now...lol
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Are Nikon still relevant? - 01/20/24
Just picked up a Nikon Monarch 1-4 today. African #4 reticle. Going on some close range / woods gun. Just not sure which one
© 24hourcampfire