Home
Posted By: Bamabohunter Best Scope Rings - 02/22/24
What are the best lightweight scope rings to go on the Ruger American Gen II 7mm08 pic rail for a 44mm scope? OR would it be better to pull pic rail and go with leupold dove tail or talley lightweight mounts?
Posted By: JakeM78 Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/22/24
1 inch or 30mm?
Posted By: Bamabohunter Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/22/24
1"
Posted By: DanInAlaska Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/22/24
For lightweight rings, the Seekins Precision rings are the best I've used. I would think a set of lows should work fine, on top of the pic rail. There's plenty of clearance with the 40mm scopes I've mounted that I wouldn't think a 44mm objective would cause issues.

I also like Vortex Pro-series aluminum rings, if I'm looking to save a few bucks.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/22/24
if you're talking the original style Ruger American with the original stock I like pulling the picatinny rail and replacing with the one piece Dead Nutz system it gets your scope mounted about as low as possible if you buy the correct height there is no ringing base connection it's all the One piece unit. I've got three I think it is set up with those I really like them and how they work..., I just reread the original post and you were actually talking to Gen II the same amount would do Austin on them you just might want to buy a slightly higher one so it gives you good eye - scope alignment
Posted By: RicG Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/22/24
Another vote for the Seekins rings. The lows are .82 I believe. With that rail, that should work.
Posted By: 6mmCreedmoor Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/22/24
I concur
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/23/24
DNZ Game Reaper 1-piece mount/rings combo.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/23/24
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
yes that's the proper name that I was mentioning above
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/23/24
Seekins......case closed!!!
Posted By: drano 25 Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/23/24
Seekins is good as others of said. I prefer the Warne Mountain Tech though.
Posted By: Bamabohunter Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/23/24
I ended up getting some talleys. The seekins were my 1st choice but found a deal on these i could pass on.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/24/24
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Seekins......case closed!!!

+1
Posted By: Seafire Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/24/24
My vote is for whatever rings are free and given to you by a friend. smile
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/24/24
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
yes that's the proper name that I was mentioning above
Yeah, they started out as " Deadnutz", but I guess they must've figured that may offend someone.
Posted By: drop_point Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/24/24
"Best" and "lightweight"?

You can have the best rings, or you can have lightweight rings. You cannot have both.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/24/24
My whole view of a mercan, is I don't want to buy expensive rings for a budget rifle. Some of these rings, cost as much as a decent budget scope.

Also, having open sights is nice, so talley lightweights make no sense. By keeping the optics and rings reasonable, my mercan went off to the gunsmith for some open sights. The cost of that was also cheaper than some of the expensive scope rings.

I'm running made in USA aluminum weaver 4-holes and they're some strong rings. 8-30 screws. They're very lightweight, and that single steel bolt make for quick removal to get after open sights. They're $31 a pair right now and the mediums are as low as my warne mountain tech low rings:

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Skeleton-48360-Aluminium-Construction/dp/B0049IWWA0

I shoot nothing but 200 grain bullets in my 308 win mercan. The rings have held that scope solidly in place. They return to zero as good as anything, when scope is reattached.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/24/24
Have dozens and dozens and dozens in service,while awaiting the first issue. Hint.................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: KenMi Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/24/24
Leave the rail on and go with good USA MADE scope rings (hint). Warne Mountain Tech would be difficult to beat across the board.

But, if an ounce or less difference isn't that crucial, there are lots of options including the Warne Maxima, that will fit the rail perfectly.
Posted By: drop_point Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/24/24
Careful who you get advice from.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: gunzo Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/24/24
Flame suit on & going with Weaver 2 screw strap-ons. A pain to get set up but have had them serve for 10 years or more on a truck gun.

They're gettin pricey though, about 24 bucks a pair.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/24/24
Originally Posted by drop_point
Careful who you get advice from.

Chicom garbage 6 screw rings equal 2 screw decent rings
Posted By: Wrangler13 Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/25/24
Anyone used the Trijicon 1” pic rings?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/25/24
Pardon splendid wares that exist,while Brokedick Whiners Pretend aloud,with their GoogleFu. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/26/24
Have used Weaver rings and bases on 35Whelens, 358NM and 375magnums. Never had one fail.

Saying that, I don't toss them on a rock pile or in the brook for internet shock pics sake.
Posted By: drop_point Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/26/24
Stick, trying to protect your ego by pretending you have expensive [bleep] nobody else had is clown shoes. You're a clown. I've posted plenty of $10,000 set-ups that I own. Buying [bleep] doesn't equal competence, though I've proven that , too. Its not about somebody being broke, its about you being a clown.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/29/24
Those $31 weavers have held up good on the mercan shooting nothing but 200 grainers. Very lightweight. 2-7 redfield in those rings goes 13.5 oz.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/29/24
Few things are as heart warming as Brokedick Crying Kchunt Professional Victims,extolling their VERY well founded and countless Insecurities,via Hurt Feeler Reports. Hint.

Pardon the sanctity of said mounting system. Hint.

Don't let me get sidetracked and forget to dangle pics of the rifle purchased today,as you set on your Couchbound Kchunt "living" vicariously. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/29/24
Anything that uses dovetails would be last on my list unless you have scope mounting holes drilled improperly and need adjustable rings to get the scope lined up with the barrel.

Keep the rail. Unless you're putting a 3 lb scope on a heavy recoiling rifle you don't need anything special. The Weaver 4X4 rings are as good as anything else. I have Leupold Rifleman rings on several rifles. Burris rings are reasonable priced and work too.
Ring spacing and their respective surface area,are a scope's(ALL scopes) BEST fhuqking friend. Hint.

Just sayin'...................
Posted By: RinB Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/29/24
I have several Weaver 4 screw rings that have the solid top strap. I lapped them. No problems.
The two screw are a pain to install but are reliable. I don’t care for the ones with split strap.
Posted By: RinB Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/29/24
The TPS HRT rings made from 7076 are great.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/29/24
Those vids never get old. 😛
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/29/24
MainerinAK…What are your favorite/chosen 200gr bullets for your 308? I know that you (like I) like A-Frames for a C&C and I’m wondering if that’s what you’re using in your “mercan”…
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/29/24
Funny u mention 200 grainers.
I have 200 grain partitions and 200 grain a-frames a feller sent up.

I have on hand 200 grain hot cors, 200 grain oryx and 1 220 grain partition left. I'll be testing them all in a stack spruce boards that are free of any big knots.

I'll test them soon and start a new thread.

When ravenrocks was running 200 grain oryx bullets at $49.95 per 100, I practically bought him out.

My personal load:

200 grain oryx

Whatever range rubbish or new brass on sale.

46 grains leverevolution (work up from 44)

Standard primer

Standard COAL

2600 fps (22" barrel).

I've ran to 47 grains in some garbage winchester brass. All that happens for pressure signs, is loose primer pockets. So "overpressure" was predictable.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/29/24
Boss bullet: 200 grain 30 caliber.
Just don't compare it to a 21" 7-08,spitting .796 BC 180's at 2600fps. Hint....................(grin)
Posted By: FSJeeper Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/29/24
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Funny u mention 200 grainers.
I have 200 grain partitions and 200 grain a-frames a feller sent up.

I have on hand 200 grain hot cors, 200 grain oryx and 1 220 grain partition left. I'll be testing them all in a stack spruce boards that are free of any big knots.

I'll test them soon and start a new thread.

When ravenrocks was running 200 grain oryx bullets at $49.95 per 100, I practically bought him out.

My personal load:

200 grain oryx

Whatever range rubbish or new brass on sale.

46 grains leverevolution (work up from 44)

Standard primer

Standard COAL

2600 fps (22" barrel).

I've ran to 47 grains in some garbage winchester brass. All that happens for pressure signs, is loose primer pockets. So "overpressure" was predictable.

Mainer in Ak, I am looking forward to you picking up where you left off with your spruce board testing of the 200 gn A-Frames. The previous testing you did was excellent.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/29/24
I've switched to these but they don't qualify in the budget category by any stretch, but they are nice!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024428347?pid=486103

Posted By: Switch Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/29/24
Originally Posted by gunzo
Flame suit on & going with Weaver 2 screw strap-ons. A pain to get set up but have had them serve for 10 years or more on a truck gun.

They're gettin pricey though, about 24 bucks a pair.

They are ugly, but you get used to it. As lighter than anything, and strong as hell. A Burris rep told me they thought the Weavers were the strongest set up on the market.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/29/24
Thanks for the reply Mainer….it sounds like you are set for 200’s but if you’re looking for anything specific holler at me and I’ll keep my eyes open. 👍🏼
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Best Scope Rings - 02/29/24
Recently these have become my favorite, light and strong MDT 1" rings
Posted By: drop_point Re: Best Scope Rings - 03/01/24
Originally Posted by local_dirt

They are pretty much a broken record. But talk is all guys that mount rings like the above picture do.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Best Scope Rings - 03/01/24
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Doubt that VHS-C camera is in service any longer
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Best Scope Rings - 03/01/24
Funnier than fhuqk,that Professional Victims gotta perpetually fill out Hurt Feeler Reports,as their Brokedicktitude mandates that they "live" vicariously. They also just "happen" to be Lying Pieces Of CLUELESS Fhuqking Schit to boot. Hint.

Perhaps you gals can duel,to ascertain who thinks about me with the greatest frequency and longest durations,you "hard chargers". HINT.

Pardon wares that exist and be sure to poke my pics,in "your" album,as it's plum flattering to be fixated in sucha' manner. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................
Predictable. You need a new stick.

Just remember, she was so proud of this she put it up as an example of "weeerrrllddd claaaaawwwwsssss"!
New wares abound,if only as per always,you Brokedick Crying Kchunt. Keep extolling your VERY well founded Insecurities and I'll simply fuel same,with Splendid Wares that exist. Hint.

You Professional Victims and your Hurt Feeler Reports are fhuqking HILARIOUS! Fortunately for you,Imagination,Pretend and Stolen Pics are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Best Scope Rings - 03/01/24
I've used Warne Mountain Tech rings on several recent setups and have been happy with them so far.

Just remember, she was so proud of this she put it up as an example of "weeerrrllddd claaaaawwwwsssss"!
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I've used Warne Mountain Tech rings on several recent setups and have been happy with them so far.

The Warne MT's are a sound product,though for Flyweights,the Reupold BC's are rather Skookum too. Hint.

Just sayin'...................
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Best Scope Rings - 03/01/24
Originally Posted by 257Bob
I've switched to these but they don't qualify in the budget category by any stretch, but they are nice!

What action and barrel do you have there? It looks like maybe a nanook? I've been thinking about buying a nanook with a 7 prc 22" 8 twist preferred wrapped barrel on it. I was about to do it and then found another seeking element and proof elevation on clearance the other day and spent my nanook cash on those. Maybe next month.

Bb
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Best Scope Rings - 03/01/24
Larry throwin his guns in the bushes again LOL🤣
Posted By: memtb Re: Best Scope Rings - 03/01/24
I certainly will not say that they are the best, but am very pleased with our Leupold QR base/rings on our hunting rifles. They are mounted on factory drilled/tapped Winchester Model 70’s, and been in use since the ‘90’s. They are for mounted/zero’d back up scopes and worked good in tests…..removing and swapping scopes.

These bases and rings have stood up to 59 ft/lbs (my rifle) and near 40 ft/lbs (wife’s) recoil. Pretty pleased with them.

Put a Picitinny rail on our Model 70 30-06 , and have it set-up with 2 different scopes…..but, have shot it minimally. So, can’t give a realistic view on it! memtb
Admittedly,I've never heard of a Glenn Element. Hint.

Fortunately for the Brokedick Whining Clueless Crowd,Imagination,Pretend and Emoji's are free,so even they can "afford" to "contribute" from the sidelines of their "life". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Best Scope Rings - 03/01/24
Originally Posted by 257Bob

Those might be fine if you don't care about weight, but at 7 oz, that's pretty hard to swallow.

Seekins rings will do all that those do for half the weight, at a few $$$ less.

MM
Glenn rings are Skookum,but I prefer Swiffers. Hint.

I find the increase in surface area soothin'.

Just sayin'................
I run EGW rings and mounts. Very solid build and pretty sure they are made in the USA
EGW and Farrell's tend to ride higher than most and are Goat Fhuqks. Hint................
© 24hourcampfire