Home
Folks:

Thanks to our association with the great folks at Camera Land, we have a sneak peek at a brand new line of binoculars from Nikon, the EDG. Here's an image:

[Linked Image]

"EDG Technology

Pronounced �EDGE�, the all-new EDG is the first hunting binocular to harness the optical superiority of Nikon�s exclusive and legendary ED (Extra-Low Dispersion) glass. Nikon�s ED lenses were developed to push the limits of optical performance by virtually eliminating chromatic aberration, or the dispersion that occurs when light rays of varying wavelengths pass through optical glass. The resulting Nikon ED lenses product brilliant, color-corrected images that are extremely bright, razor sharp and free of flare for unparalleled viewing."

These are going to be the schnizzle!

You read it here first.

Rick Bin

Priced right along with the Big Three?
They will be priced in similar fashion but from what I am told they will be the best of all available in brightness and in resolution.
Notice the winged eye-cups. They've been listening to what people want.
Yup.

This line is meant to nudge the Premier LX-L line into the number 2 slot in the Nikon lineup.

They're going for the Big Boys with this one.

rb
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Notice the winged eye-cups. They've been listening to what people want.

Yes, I do like the winged cups on my older SLC's.

Casey
Looks a lot like the Steiner Peregrine XP. I'm disappointed.

BTW, something has been bothering me for awhile about the current trend in binocular design. For years and years everyone claimed that one of the inherent benefits of the roof prism design was that their long, "piano" hinges made them more robust and less prone to collimation problems than the open hinges found on porro prism binoculars. Now everyone is making these open-hinged roofs and touting how strong they are. Isn't this a bit of a contradiction?
Couldn't agree more, one of the gripes I see with the EL is the hinge design - this one looks to be no stronger. Glad they're making better glass as I have said all along the the LX's fall short of the big 3, I'm guessing that optically this one will be pretty close however.
Well I disagree with cfran, I actually own a Nikon 8X32 LX and feel that it is a very fine bino - as did many of the bird experts. The only area that if find them to be inferior to the big 3 was in controlling flare in extreme conditions. If nikon has improved upon the LX's then WOW, because every time I put the LX's to my eyes the view is just stunning. Equal or better quality, a few hundred less than the big 3 - I say good for Nikon!
I don't think we're that far apart in that for the price they (LX) are a great bino. Just not up to par with some of the others but granted we're not talking a huge difference. I also have noticed the flare, something I don't get with a Swaro or Leica (haven't really tested an FL).
As a big fan of the best in the Nikon line, and fanatic when it comes to the best image availiable, I'm not even going to consider an EDG. They are not built as tough as the LX, that's odvious. The LX, on the other hand, has passed Barsness's "alaskan guide tests" as far as toughness. That's good enough for me.
The other is the reduction in weight. Again, not me. The Zeiss FL, and the Leica Ultravid are reported by many to be, maybe, a hair better than the LX. They are also much lighter, as apparently the new EDG will be. Not for me. I don't want anything lighter than my 25.5 oz. 8X32 LX. Too much image shake for me. E
Not to start this into a thread that winds up having little or no meaning....
Since there are no specs as far as weight yet and nobody has handled these, so durability is something that there is no evidence of as of either, I think making any type of determination " They are not built as tough as the LX, that's odvious" is just typing because the space here is free. Let's wait to see when they get released and field tested to come to a conclusion.
I assumed that they'd be lighter that's true. It sure looks like it. That type of hinge design is not as strong as the one piece hinge and is usually used to make the binocular lighter. That's all I am basing my opinion on.
As to wether they are too light for others or not strong enough for others is their call. There are many here who appreciate other choices that are lighter and not as strong. I'm not one of them. E
And your knew LX (thats not even released yet) or Swarovski EL has failed you when, E? Surely you must have vast experience with both to make such a statement. And please don't quote JB, actually come up with something of your own or shut up.

Sorry Doug, I just turned the thread into something you didn't want it to. My growing intolerance for BS just got the best of me. I apologize.

Bill
If no one has touched it... how can anyone really know? smile
You know I really like the winged eye cups and see that you can get em for Swaros , wish you could get em for Leica's.
Found this else where.

Here are some specs for the 8x42 EDG. Prism uses dielectric mirror coating. Body is magnesium.

FOV - 7.7 degrees (61.6 AFOV)

Eye Relief - 19.3mm

Close Focus - 3m

Weight - 835 g

minimum advertised price US$1899.00 (street price should be a bit lower)
That, according to my math makes them come out at about 29 ozs. That's alot better than I thought they would be. I'm going to reinstate them for consideration. 29 ozs. isn't far from the 30-31 oz. minimum I set for long range binoculars.
BTW, just because they use the Swaro EL hinge system does not mean that their prisms are mounting less ruggedly like the El's, or the insides use flimsier materials than Zeiss or Leica.
Just based on their weight, it infers that may not be the case. E
Using your scientific methods we can concur that the Pentax coming in around 25 ozs for their 43 size binos are made cheaply. You'd be better off not commenting on such matters as I've never seen someone talk out of both sides of his/her mouth as often as you in my lifetime . . .
I plan on picking up a pair once they debut. I only have two questions....

1) What is the expected release date?

2) What street price are we talking about for the 7x42s Doug?
May release (on or about) the 7x42 EDG will have an MAP of $1799.95
Thank you Doug. When are you taking pre-orders?
I have a pen in hand whenever you're ready
Here's some more info:

Wider FOV than 10x42 Zeiss, Swaro & Leica @ 374�

Longer ER than 10x42 Zeiss, Swaro & Leica @ 18mm

Higher waterproof spec than EL

Weight 29.45 ounces
Just wondering... will there be another eye cup option for those that wear eyeglasses? Seems that the winged design might not be optimum with eyeglass wearers.
I believe the binoculars come with standard eyecups however the winged versions are also included in the packaging. Thought I read it somewhere.
I'd be very intrested in what you think, Frank. I stacked a Pentax 8X43 in both the SP and their new ED glassed version this last summer. I could, after a bit, see a very small difference in favor of the ED model as far as image clarity. That would be in 8X and with the Pentax SP lense design.
Since then, I've seen comments that indicate the difference in image quality between ED glass and the usual top quality glass only becomes apparent at 30X and above. So, I'm wondering if this will be the case with the new Nikons. I'd be surprised if there wasn't much of a difference. Nikon has a track record of doing what some thought no one could do. JB, for instance, never thought he'd see anyone beat the image quality of the Leica 8X32. Then Nikon did it. E
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I'd be very intrested in what you think, Frank. I stacked a Pentax 8X43 in both the SP and their new ED glassed version this last summer. I could, after a bit, see a very small difference in favor of the ED model as far as image clarity. That would be in 8X and with the Pentax SP lense design.
Since then, I've seen comments that indicate the difference in image quality between ED glass and the usual top quality glass only becomes apparent at 30X and above. So, I'm wondering if this will be the case with the new Nikons. I'd be surprised if there wasn't much of a difference. Nikon has a track record of doing what some thought no one could do. JB, for instance, never thought he'd see anyone beat the image quality of the Leica 8X32. Then Nikon did it. E

E,

I do plan on purchasing a pair of the 7x42s but I am holding off until I see what all of the specs look like. Despite our difference in opinion on field of view I do find it to be one of my primary considerations when choosing a bin. I have not seen that bit of info for the 7x EDG but I am hoping, based on the 8x numbers, that it is above the typical 420 feet found in some other high end glasses (SLC and Ultravid). I have some hope for this since it seems Nikon went with an entire redesign of the optical system instead of just switching from standard glass to ED glass as in the Ultravid/Ultravid HD scenario.

Because of this it may then be difficult to make a direct comparison between the EDG and the Premier LXLs. I am thinking along the lines here of the wide sweet spot/small field of view versus the smaller sweet spot/wider field of view comparison.

My initial comparisons are going to be between the EDG and the FL of the same configuration. However, I believe I can get my hands on one of the LXLs and possibly a standard Ultravid as well.
Whatever they did, I'd be interested in your impressions and tests. Always looking for something better.
It, to me, already has two strikes against it. It's higher price and the weaker hinge design. However, if it has a significant performance improvement, that alone would make it worthy of consideration assuming no other design features that would make it less rugged. E
The hinge issue you mentioned may or may not be something I can comment on. If there is some type of issue then I would be willing to be that it would take a good amount of time before it would become obvious. I would have a hard time believing anybody would charge $1800 and then produce a product that goes out of alignment fairly easily.

As for the price, well, I guess part of competing with the best is perception. How much attention would a company get initially if they introduced a product set to compete against a $1700 binocular but were only charging $1000 for it? There would be a perception of a lack of quality because of the lower price...at least that is my take on it.

As for the actual comparison with my current model...I will be quite honest in my impressions. I have owned alot of the high end glass and finally settled on the 7x42 FLs because of their unique combination of handling/style and optics. It is going to take alot to knock them off.

The month of May cannot come soon enough. wink
All I can say is WOW. I checked it out at SHOT. The edges were as sharp and as bright as the sweet spot. The color and resolution was poppin'. The hinge is stronger than a piano style hinge. I went over it with there tech guy while I was there. Saving myself from a long typing section as I just got home and I have loads of e-mails to attend to, after he explained it to me, I have all the confidence in the world that he was shooting straight and it is a stronger hinge. Look for the EDG in April. It's a SHOT Show top release.
Doug, while that may be true, i.e. the design is as strong/stronger, but that's not the test. The test is weather their design keeps the prisms in alignment as well as the piano hinge design.
Long experience with both designs has shown that that just isn't the case. Perhaps Nikon has come up something new in the way of materials used to make to make the difference ? If so, can you supply some details ? E
E, I do not wish to get into any type of on going debate about this, however, if you ever have taken apart binoculars with a piano style hinge (The majority, not all) the middle of that hinge is empty plastic that serves no purpose beyond giving the owner a false warm and fuzzy feeling that it is a stroger design. The new Nikon EDG has an excellent hinge system that is solid and is also thicker that that of the Swarovski EL. Have no worries, it is solid and strong
We all should owe FrankD a Thank You for his time and $$.

Dave
That's not my information Frank. The Swarovski EL's have a rep for not holding up nearly as well as the Zeiss and Leicas in the same price catagory. Some of this is the way their prisms are secured, some it is their choice of hinge design and some it comes from their using flimsy plastic parts inside the binocular. E
No, I haven't taken apart any thing. And I believe you about some of the piano hinge roofs being as you say.
I also understand Nikon has an excellent rep for building binoculars that hold up. The Nikon LX 8X32 I bought from you, I understand, has held up to Barsness's "alaskan guide testing," for instance. It would be a radical departure for Nikon to build something in that price catagory that would be anything but tough. Hence my questions. E
That's not my information Frank.

You weren't referring to me, right?

Dave,

No thanks needed. I will do what I can when the time comes. In addition, despite the fact that Doug is a dealer for various optics I do trust his opinion of the products he sells. When speaking with him on the phone he was honest on various points for any given binocular. I never got the impression he was pulling any punches.
As a big fan of the best in the Nikon line, and fanatic when it comes to the best image availiable, I'm not even going to consider an EDG. They are not built as tough as the LX, that's odvious. The LX, on the other hand, has passed Barsness's "alaskan guide tests" as far as toughness. That's good enough for me.
The other is the reduction in weight. Again, not me. The Zeiss FL, and the Leica Ultravid are reported by many to be, maybe, a hair better than the LX. They are also much lighter, as apparently the new EDG will be. Not for me. I don't want anything lighter than my 25.5 oz. 8X32 LX. Too much image shake for me. E

Man you just seem to pull stuff straight out of your BUTT. whistle
© 24hourcampfire