Home
Posted By: SakoSteve270wsm First Zeiss - 03/09/08
I have used Leupolds for years,but after reading all the....stuff here I thought I would give the Zeiss a try for myself.Picked up a 3.5-10x44 and also got some Warne ring mounts to see if I like them better than the Opti locks.So far the scope is very nice, bright and clear and I like the way it looks.The only negative is the eye relief is a little less than the Leupold I took off.So I had to mount the scope farther back than I normaly do.Jury is still out on the Warnes.

[img][IMG]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x106/mrchevy12/Hunting/P1000036.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x106/mrchevy12/Hunting/P1000038.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][IMG]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x106/mrchevy12/Hunting/P1000037.jpg[/img][/img]
Posted By: timmy0283 Re: First Zeiss - 03/09/08
I'm sure you will love it.
Posted By: SawDoctor Re: First Zeiss - 03/09/08
I just got my first zeiss(3-9) as well.I was a bushnell elite user but thought i'd give the zeiss a try.One thing that I'll have to buy for the zeiss is lens covers.What kind did you put on your scope?
Posted By: SakoSteve270wsm Re: First Zeiss - 03/09/08
SawDoctor,

They are Butler Creeks.
Posted By: WinModel70 Re: First Zeiss - 03/09/08
Don't worry about the eye relief. It's plenty. I used to have Leupolds until I looked thru a Zeiss. Now all of my rifles wear Zeiss.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: First Zeiss - 03/09/08
Nice rig.
Posted By: TDMax Re: First Zeiss - 03/09/08
Sweet looking gun! I have a laminated Sako myself. The Sako Optilocks work very well for me. Very solid and easily removed. They also make a ring-mount. I have a Leupold and am considering defecting as well. I just put a Nikon Monarch on my lightweight and seem to prefer it to the Leupold so far.

One thing I'll say is that the Leupold flip ups are top notch!
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: First Zeiss - 03/09/08
Nice rig! Could probably gain some eye relief by taking that rear butler creek off. It's also blocking your quick focus which is one advantage the Zeiss has over the leupie.

LC
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: First Zeiss - 03/09/08
YEah, the eye relief is a tad less, but it is set at that distance through out all of the power settings on the scope... Lets see a leupie do that!
Posted By: SamOlson Re: First Zeiss - 03/09/08
Very nice Steve.
Would you mind setting that sucker on your scale and giving me the weight?
I have the matte version of that scope on my .300WSM 85 and I believe it is a hair over 8lbs.?
Thanks, Sam
Thanks for the comments guys !

The eye relief isn't really a problem there is enough just had to mount the scope back a little.More of a cosmetics thing than a problem.

Sam,

When I had the Leupold and Opti locks it was 8#4ounces.With the Zeiss and Warnes its 8#6ounces.I was expecting it to be more but was happy with only 2 more ounces with the Zeiss.I didn't weigh the mounts,wish I would have now.

[img][IMG]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x106/mrchevy12/Hunting/P1000066.jpg[/img][/img]
Posted By: SamOlson Re: First Zeiss - 03/09/08
Thanks alot Steve.
I've got my scope about as far forward as I can get it(about 1" forward of where your's is at) so needless to say, eye relief isn't an issue.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: First Zeiss - 03/09/08
Never liked a scope that damn near covers the top of the grip.
Posted By: DCUP Re: First Zeiss - 03/09/08
I like the looks of that alternating black/silver theme you've got going on. A fine looking rifle, I have to say!
Steelhead,

It doesn't seem to hinder anything,but then the real test is actually hunting with it.Might move it forward a little and see how I like it.
DCUP,

Thanks ! I really like the look myself.
Posted By: SawDoctor Re: First Zeiss - 03/09/08
Thanks sakosteve.Nice liiking rig you have there.Kinda wish I would've have went with the stainless as well.Looks sharp.
Posted By: GS Re: First Zeiss - 03/10/08
What size rings did you have to use, mediums or highs?
Posted By: SakoSteve270wsm Re: First Zeiss - 03/10/08
GS,

They are the mediums,package says they work for up to a 42mm obj.but fit really good with the 44mm Zeiss.
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: First Zeiss - 03/10/08
I have the same rig in in 300WSM. I went with the black Conquest, but think I like yours better.
Model 85 Finlight, 300 WSM, Warne Rings, Conquest and leather sling goes 8 lbs on my bathroom scale.
Posted By: GS Re: First Zeiss - 03/10/08
That's one sharp looking shooting iron! I'm going to put a new Zeiss on my Savage stainless/black composite model 16 and have been batting back and forth with black or silver. I really like the way your rig looks and I think the silver scope with the black rings looks REALLY good!
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: First Zeiss - 03/10/08
I have that same scope (but 'cept black) on a M700 XCR. It does have noticably less eye relief on low power settings than the 2.5x8 Loopy it replaced, but, then again it has MORE eye relief once you get to the higher power settings.

At any rate, the eye relief is certainly sufficient IMHO.

What reticle did you go with?

-jeff
Posted By: JGRaider Re: First Zeiss - 03/10/08
Very nice rig. Let us know how it shoots. I have 3 Conquests and love 'em.
Posted By: fish30ought6 Re: First Zeiss - 03/11/08
i like the contrast.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: First Zeiss - 03/18/08
Big sexy.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: First Zeiss - 03/18/08
Shot that bad boy with the new scope yet, Sam?

-jeff
Posted By: Delta Hunter Re: First Zeiss - 03/18/08
Nice looking rigs Sam and Steve. I've got a 75 right now without a scope and I've been debating what to put on it. I've been served well by Conquests since I bought my first one in '01, so that's how I'm leaning, though I do want to take a look through a VXIII also.

Sam, what model Conquest is that on your Sako? Is that the 3.5-10x44?
Posted By: medic52 Re: First Zeiss - 03/18/08
I bought my first Zeiss last year. Man what a scope I love it.I killed a 10 point buck last year at probably the last minute of shooting light at 150 yards and I will say that it was the scope that allowed me to make the shot. I am trying to decide now between a new Zeiss, Kahles or the new Trijicon......
Posted By: miket_81 Re: First Zeiss - 03/18/08
Great Choice on the Warnes! You will probably want nothing else after using them, thats what happened to me.

They are super strong, and they don't leave ring marks.
It's the 3.5-10X44 w/RapidZ 600 Delta. Doug has a good deal on the deomo's.

I've been messing with the E-Tips and just found what looks to be a good load Jeff. The farthest I've shot with the new scope is only 200 yards during load workup.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: First Zeiss - 03/18/08
Yeah? Seeing some good accuracy with those E-tips? Shot them over a chrono yet? Guess they'll be pretty close to the speed of a BT, since they are the same copper... longer bearing surface on the E-tip though.

-jeff
Here's the rundown Jeff.
I'm almost certain I'm done screwin' around with various bullets in my Wizzum and will stick with the EBomb.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owflat/Number/2088425/page/1#Post2088425
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: First Zeiss - 03/19/08
Originally Posted by SakoSteve270wsm
I have used Leupolds for years,but after reading all the....stuff here I thought I would give the Zeiss a try for myself.Picked up a 3.5-10x44 and also got some Warne ring mounts to see if I like them better than the Opti locks.So far the scope is very nice, bright and clear and I like the way it looks.The only negative is the eye relief is a little less than the Leupold I took off.So I had to mount the scope farther back than I normaly do.Jury is still out on the Warnes.

Your first Zeiss eh? Better'n sex ain't it?
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: First Zeiss - 03/19/08
While I like my first Zeiss, also the 3.5x10, to say that it's better than sex is going a little too far.

:-)

-jeff
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: First Zeiss - 03/19/08
I agree none of the Conquests are better than sex,one has to get a Victory model to get that kind of pleasure. grin

Britt
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: First Zeiss - 03/19/08
I'm not sure if that speaks more directly to the quality of the scope, or the quality of the... never mind <g>.

Only a couple things in my life have rivaled that sheer visceral thrill of good luvin', and looking through optics isn't even close. Those things involve 2-stroke motorcycles, or skis, or a killer guitar plugged into a killer amp turned up louder than God on a great night in front of a few hundred people...

(I know we are all kidding here)

-jeff
© 24hourcampfire