Home
Ordered a Kimber 8400 Select Grade in .270 Winchester.

I'm torn b/w these 2: FX3 6x42 or VX3 3.5-10x40.

Can't really call this a hunting rig b/c it will be used while sitting on my arse in a stand, so I will call it a "deer waiting" rig.

Anyway, your input as to scope selection will be appreciated.
Flip a coin, they are my two favorite Leupold scopes. Will say all I've ever used on 270's are 6x though.
I think I'd take the 6x, I never change a variable while hunting anyway
My choice for your Kimber would be?.......Neither!

The 2.5-8x36 VX3 would be my 1st pick,,,if I were you.
VX3 3.5-10 with the new turrets (CDS)

What range will you be shooting game at.

Closer than 200 = 2.5-8x no question

Further than 200 = 3.5-10x, if it's 300+ all the time 4.5-14x is a possibility.

To tell you the truth I shoot the 2.5-8x better under 200 than I can the 3.5 or 4.5x.
I'd go 6x42. Almost got one for my WSM since it is almost always on 6x when hunting, unless things are really thick. But for a stand, I'd go 6x.
3.5x10x40 is tough to beat. The fixed 6 has its place no doubt but IMO the variable gives you more options. Want a fixed 6 that day put it on 6X and leave it.

I have killed deer that I shot and followed up with a close runing shot, my scope was on 3.5, had that been a fixed 6 I wonder if I would had been able to get on target as fast.
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

That'd be my pick too.
It's possible to shoot beyond 200 yards w/o 10x. wink smile

SKane +1 on the 2.5x8
2.5-8x36 on a Kimber 8400. Fits the rifle well, keeps it light and you can shoot with it as far as most of us can hold on game.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Leupold decision, your input needed - 06/16/09
Regardless of the power you select,always try to get a 50mm.More light gathering in low light conditions and great under a full moon if and hwen Predator hunting.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

To tell you the truth I shoot the 2.5-8x better under 200 than I can the 3.5 or 4.5x.
...............The 2.5-8x36 will have no problem on deer sized game out to 400-500 yards.

Further than 200 yards a max of 10x? Beyond 300 yards a 14x? Maybe for some target scoring and paper punching for groups. For hunting, many never exceed 5x to 6x for their longest hunting shots anyway.

On occasion, I set up 1 gallon milk cartons filled with water out to 300 yards. Not a problem with a 1.5-5x20 VX111 set on the 5x and it wouldn`t be a problem out to 400 yards either.

For stand hunting, plains hunting, mountain hunting or whatever, and from the shorter ranges to the longer ranges, the 2.5x8 is about as ideal and useful an all around magnification as one can get.

Leupold`s best winner imo.

This is curious; I'm wondering what happens after 300 yards that makes the 3.5-10 unsuitable.Or for that matter what happens after 200 that knocks the 2.5-8 out of the game altogether.Cripes I've killed woodchucks at 400 yards with a 6X...

A guy should use what he wants but the formula seems sort of flawed to me..... confused
Originally Posted by LOCKNLOAD
Regardless of the power you select,always try to get a 50mm.

Biting tongue....... smile
I've taken quite a few deer at 300-400 yards with my 2-7 on my 7mm-08, but if given the opportunity I like to crank things up if I'm able.

One of my favorite scopes is my 3.5-10, but I've probably taken more game with my Ruger 77 in 7mm mag paired with a 4.5-14 than probably any rifle I own. Average shots would be from 150-250. The closest at 14 yards and the longest a little over 600.

First Elk I ever took was at 14 yards in dark timber at the break of dawn. Scope was set at 4.5 and I had no problems, but I also like the ability to turn it up and have taken two deer at around 600 yards and appreciated the extra power.

With all that said I'd go with a 2.5-8 or a 3.5-10 depending on your actual anticipated hunting conditions.

50mm objectives look outta place on most hunting rifles
Originally Posted by SKane

WHY???
Because you need at least a 60mm. smirk
That's a true long action. Put on the VX3 3.5-10x40, it'll look great and perform great too.
Maybe he just got new dentures.

WHY???

Because a 50mm objective is just not needed, especially if you're running scopes of 6 power or less. Plus there are advantages to smaller, lighter scopes.
I'd likely go 3.5-10x40 on a .270win sporter. That's what I had on my last one and it was a very useful combo.

WHY???

Are you sure a 50mm would be big enough on a straight 6? shocked
I do a lot of treestand hunting & shots are usually under 200 yards. If I were choosing a Leupold it would be the 6X42 with a heavy reticle. I own Leupolds & a few other scopes & if its a variable for stand hunting deer its a 50MM. The 6X42 really gathers a lot of light & works to well past legal shooting time when many big bucks are shot. The 6X42 is probable one of the best buys in scopes. I use them on a variety of rifles where low light is important from a ML,to a 35 Whelen for bear/hogs, to a 376 Steyr for large African plains game.
Originally Posted by doubletap
Because you need at least a 60mm. smirk

That's just being silly, just go with this one and be done with it.

http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-zs-rs-6-24x72vic.html
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze

That'd be my pick too.
It's possible to shoot beyond 200 yards w/o 10x. wink smile

Agreed, and agreed.

I shoot my 2.5x8's out to 650 yards all the time. Probably do it later today in fact. No problemo!

Leupold 2.5x8's and Kimbers go together like peanut butter and honey...
Originally Posted by BobinNH

This is curious; I'm wondering what happens after 300 yards that makes the 3.5-10 unsuitable.Or for that matter what happens after 200 that knocks the 2.5-8 out of the game altogether.Cripes I've killed woodchucks at 400 yards with a 6X...

A guy should use what he wants but the formula seems sort of flawed to me..... confused
...........YEP!!......Overscopin-itus for hunting purposes is an epidemic. But! To each his own!!!

Reminds me of my buddies 4.5x14 on a 338 Federal. He never uses higher than 5x for hunting....As he says, "It`s JUST there in case I need it.".....A 4.5x14 on a 338 Federal???? crazy

I call him Mr. Hubble!! laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
It wasn't too long ago when I saw a picture of a 30-30 Marlin lever with a 4.5x14. I'm sure it balanced well. laugh
I've seen what I believe to be this scope

http://www.barska.com/ac10776.html

mounted on a Marlin, but it was labeled Rex instead of Barska.
Well, we know that one wasn't a Wisconsin-based tirty/tirty wearing the 4.5x14 or it would have been in see-through's for CERTAIN. grin
I guess maybe with some of the comments on here-I should clarify something.When I said 50mm-that meant ,get away from the 6 power.Good luck finding a 6 power 50mm..some understood that that meant you would have to increase your power level when I said 50mm,,,some totally missed it altogehter.
Being x-military (Recon) I go with the old addage....The better you see-the better you shoot.That applies to targets as well as game.
I think that would be the perfect scope for a 30-30. It has the mil-dots for those 1,000 yard shots. grin
Now I'm confused (which isn't necessarily hard to do). From your post "Regardless of the power you select,always try to get a 50mm." No mention of higher power.
Let me put it this way: you would "have to" go with a high power to upgrade to a 50mm.I was trying to tell him to get away from the 6 power with a 270..unless of course he is limited to 100 or 150 yards..I can drop them dead at 300 or 400 yards with my .270-but thats with some hot handloads of mine.I just prefer to see what I am shooting at b4 I pull the trigger.I dont ground check nothing,or I try not to.I am surprised some weekend warrior has not chimed in with the standard-"why not just use a good set of bino's to see what your hunting" I love it when some dufus comes along with that line....LMAO.
Let me put it this way: you would "have to" go with a high power to upgrade to a 50mm.I was trying to tell him to get away from the 6 power with a 270..unless of course he is limited to 100 or 150 yards..I can drop them dead at 300 or 400 yards with my .270-but thats with some hot handloads of mine.I just prefer to see what I am shooting at b4 I pull the trigger.I dont ground check nothing,or I try not to.I am surprised some weekend warrior has not chimed in with the standard-"why not just use a good set of bino's to see what your hunting" I love it when some dufus comes along with that line....LMAO.

troll
"why not just use a good set of bino's to see what your hunting" I love it when some dufus comes along with that line....LMAO.

So your advocating using your scope in leau of binoculars to check out potential targets?

In other places of the world it's legal to shoot after dark, most states it is not at big game.

Not saying that a 50mm objective won't gather more light than a smaller objective in the same quality of glass/coatings, but a cheap 50mm glass won't be as bright/clear as a much smaller higher quality peace of glass.

Different strokes for different folks, but most people like to keep a nice clean/slim profile to their carry rifles, which a 50mm objective doesn't really do. A beanfield rifle may be a different story all together.
To make sure you get that full 7mm exit pupil on 14x remember you must have a 98mm objective - 4.5-14x100 is the new paradigm. cool

Between the 6x42 and the 3.5-10x40 I would go with the 6x42. However, if there is a reasonable chance of shooting game at < 25 yds. get the 3.5-10x40 because you can't focus the 6x42 that close at factory parallax settings.
I was trying to tell him to get away from the 6 power with a 270..unless of course he is limited to 100 or 150 yards

You have just exposed something.
I prefer smaller scopes on my rifles..I like compact rifles with nice lines..I would opt for a Leupold 2x7x33 for a .270 win. and would have no problem with a straight 4X..Neither one has ever let me down.
I think it depends on the game and the range. Here in the East, don't need a 10X scope for deer sized game or for anything else bigger than an armidillo. Can't say about the West. O'Connor mentioned the fixed-six as a max, actually he preferred something smaller (3x?) and with a post reticle. Different strokes.

I don't need a 3-9X, but they're easier to find and generally cheaper than Something Else. So, I put a knobby varible scope on my rifles because I'm CHEAP! I miss the cleaness of a fixed power scope, however.
Let me put it this way: you would "have to" go with a high power to upgrade to a 50mm.I was trying to tell him to get away from the 6 power with a 270..unless of course he is limited to 100 or 150 yards..I am surprised some weekend warrior has not chimed in with the standard-"why not just use a good set of bino's to see what your hunting" I love it when some dufus comes along with that line....LMAO.

Some of the scope stuff I read on HERE makes ME LMAO. "Dufus"? Because he uses his bino's to identify game? shocked
A 6X is no good on a 270 past 150 yards????!!!!
Need a higher power scope with 50mm objective???
Hot handloads of yours, I take it, elevate your 270 to some loftier standard than the Weekend Warrior with his "anemic" 270,I suppose.....

This place gets funnier and funnier every single day.... laugh laugh

and, "I can drop them dead at 300 or 400 yards with my .270-but thats with some hot handloads of mine."

Ummmm, you CAN shoot to,eerrrrr WELL PAST 400 with anemic loads in a 270. Theorize and armchair less, hunt more.

And for god's sake, use binoculars.
Like I said, "something" was exposed. grin
Wow, the things you read here..... Ok, pet peeve is when someone asks for info on specific items and gets pages of alternatives. To stick to the listed options - because I assume the guy has already done the narrowing down part, I think the first reply from Steelhead was dead on- both good scopes one would be happy with. One question- does hunting from a stand mean you also have a feeder? If so- at what distance - that might help you decide. I can say that I originally had a variable on my 270 but replaced it with a 6x42 and will never go back. I like thicker reticles and might suggest having a Post - duplex put on it. Would still cost less than the VX 3. In any case- be a Dufus and be sure to use binoculars too.
Anyone who hunts open country without a good binocular is either flat broke, or deliberately looking to handicap himself......I'm being generous here....in most cases,if he is substituting his rifle scope for a binocular,he is likely just stupid.

IME, the Weekend Warriors ARE the one's running around with big scopes and no binoculars....

The expercienced, knowledgeable, BG hunters I know would rather have a 3X rifle scope, and a GREAT binocular than the best Galaxy Gathering Variable in the world,and no binocular.

Using the scope at the last minute to be sure you're shooting the right animal in a group makes a little sense to me.......but I don't stay awake thinking about it.

If you have $1-$2K to spend and need to make a choice between a big rifle scope and a GREAT binocular,both costing about the same,buy the binocular....

SKane - I love your avatar -it is perfect for this place.
All tongue-in-cheek my friend...... grin
Mine suck as much, or even more than anyone's.....
When hunting from a stand I set my variable based on the vegetation density, shooting lanes etc. this is usually around 4x to 5x, and I don't turn it up to shoot.
My "deer waiting" rig wears a Leupold fixed 6X - but it's the less expensive VX2 model. I am very happy with my simple and less expensive choice. Of the two you offered, I would go with the fixed 6X VX3. But if cost was not a concern, I would consider the 2.5-8 VX3. In any case, you will end up with a fine scope on your rifle.
The fixed scopes would be FX II or III.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Anyone who hunts open country without a good binocular is either flat broke, or deliberately looking to handicap himself......I'm being generous here....in most cases,if he is substituting his rifle scope for a binocular,he is likely just stupid.

IME, the Weekend Warriors ARE the one's running around with big scopes and no binoculars....

The expercienced, knowledgeable, BG hunters I know would rather have a 3X rifle scope, and a GREAT binocular than the best Galaxy Gathering Variable in the world,and no binocular.

Using the scope at the last minute to be sure you're shooting the right animal in a group makes a little sense to me.......but I don't stay awake thinking about it.

If you have $1-$2K to spend and need to make a choice between a big rifle scope and a GREAT binocular,both costing about the same,buy the binocular....

He makum good sense.
Some folks have uncanny vision that allows them to judge field mice in a different zipcode making binoculars an unnecessary burden..................................................<g>
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Some folks have uncanny vision that allows them to judge field mice in a different zipcode making binoculars an unnecessary burden..................................................<g>

Either that, or a 20X 50mm Hubble riflescope.
Locknload is a troll guys... like someone said. something was exposed.
Boman: Guess you're right.No one could be that stupid except on purpose grin
all things considered, the fixed 6x should be a bit brighter as it has fewer lens to hijack incoming light. my scopes are typically set at 6x when hunting so I just started buying 6x scopes as they are typically 1) less expensive, 2) brighter, 3) ligther and 4) more durable.
257 - I agree with everything you say but will point out that in this case the VX3 is actually a touch lighter than the 6x42.
I think someone here does most if not all of their shooting with a keyboard? Should I go with a Microsoft or a Logitech for my Kimber 270 WCF?
JScott-
FROM A 270 GUY TO ANOTHER CONSIDER SCHMIDT AND BENDER IF ALL YOU NEED IS A FIXED. LEUPOLD IS QUALITY BUT IF YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON A SB AND RESEARCH HOW THEY ARE MADE YOU MAY SEE THAT ONE WILL GIVE YOU A WHOLE NEW DEMENTION TO YOUR STAND HUNTING.
IN GERMANY HIGH STANDS AT TWILIGHT IS THE THING. SCHMIDT AND BENDER RETICLES ARE ETCHED IN THE GLASS. THE RETICLES ARE SHARPER AND THE TWILIGHT FACTOR IS SECOND TO NONE! I SHOOT A 270 WIN AND A 270 WSM WAY OUT IN AN OPEN DESERT FOR ELK AND MULIES. THE SHOTS ARE LONG AND ALMOST ALWAYS AT TWILIGHT. ALTHOUGH I OWN SEVERAL GREAT LEUPOLDS AND ONE 3X12 SB; I NEEDED TWILIGHT FACTOR OF 15+, EXTRA CLEAR FAT RETICLES AND VERY LIGHT WEIGHT. THE FIXED 6X42 BENDER I JUST PURCHASED SURPASSED EVERY 6X I COULD GET MY HANDS ON AND IF YOU SHOP THEM ENOUGH ARE REASONABLE. GIVE THEM SOME THOUGHT. Larock
SCHMIDT AND BENDER RETICLES ARE ETCHED IN THE GLASS. THE RETICLES ARE SHARPER AND THE TWILIGHT FACTOR IS SECOND TO NONE!

Twilight factor has absolutely nothing to do with the make of the scope.
Bingo..........
Not only that, but the number isn't really a scientific measure of anything. It's an empirical formula that attempts to describe the effect that large things are perceived as brighter, and it's often misused.

For example my target scope topping out at 20x with a 40mm objective has a twilight factor of about 28.3 while a hunting scope I have that tops out at 10x with a 56mm objective has a twilight factor of about 23.7 which is obviously less.

Guess which one would do better in the gloaming?
Don't have to guess on that one. Those formula's were somewhat more useful way back when MC's were first born. Bigger objects are often closer to the user, but, not necessarily brighter IMO.
Yeah, I've noticed that when someone starts going on about twilight factor without including any relevant qualifiers things get lost in the conversation.

The same thing happens with exit pupil as an end-all measure of brightness.
I liked fixed power but since my eyesight has gotten worse I now buy variables.

The variables have larger objectives but to my eyes I can't really see a big difference in light gathering at dusk all things being equal, ie. coatings etc.

I don't put alot of stock in twilight formulas and such, I'd rather look thru the scopes and decide which I prefered.
MATHMAN - YOUR EXAMPLE IS GOOD. TWILIGHT FACTOR CHANGES WHEN A VARIABLE SCOPE POWER INCREASED OR DECREASED. USE OF A FIXED 6X IS A SPECIALIZED INDEAVOR THAT IS UNIQUE BUT NARROWS DOWN CHOICES.
I MAY BE WRONG BUT I THOUGHT HE WAS HUNTING NOT TARGET PRACTICING. A HUNTER THAT CONSISTANTLY KNOWS HIS SHOTS ARE GOING TO BE SAY 100 TO 400 A FIXED 6 WILL WORK WITH OUT ANY VARIATION AND THE CHOICES BECOME NARROWED DOWN. TWILIGHT FACTOR IS JUST ONE FACTOR AND SIMPLE TO NARROW DOWN BECAUSE YOU ARE ONLY COMPAIRING THAT 6 POWER. ANOTHER FACTOR MAY BE CLARITY OF RETICLE AND THE ABILITY OF THAT RETICLE TO BE OFFER PROPORTIONAL SIZE THAT WILL ENABLE RANGE AND SHOOT. Larock

Was waitin' for that!!! grin
3.5-10x40. If you hit one wrong way out there in low light you can crank it down to 3.5 when you get on the ground to look for it.
I use my eyes and a good light to find one that's down. Unless it's an IR or Night vision scope, looking thru a small tube at dark is of no benefit to me.

I guess it may depend on the terrain you hunt as well.

just my 2 cents.
Agreed on the looking part, I'm talking about if it jumps up wounded and it's a close shot. I should have included that part in my original post.
Thanks for your input guys!

I just ordered a VX3 3.5-10x40 from Rick.

Scott
J_Scott: I wouldn't waste any dollars on 50mm scopes.
I Hunt virtually year round and at all hours of the day and night even to the point of needing artificial light for some of my Hunting shots with my 40mm scopes!
I have as yet to miss out on a legal Hunting hours shot at game while using 40mm tubes!
And I have Hunted for over 50 years now!
For your 270 I would unhesitatingly suggest the versatility and relaibility of the Leupold 3.5x10x40mm!
A few years ago I retired a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in caliber 270 Winchester. I had harvested so much game with it (including Mule Deer, Elk, Whitetailed Deer, Black Bear, Coyotes, Antelope, Blacktailed Deer and Mt. Goats) that I decided to give this rig a rest after 40 years of useage.
The scope that was on it when it was retired was a Leupold 3.5x10x40mm!
I had a fixed 6 power Weaver on it to begin with and quickly changed to a variable Redfield then when the Leupold company came out with their 3.5x10 scopes I bought one and used it thereon til that Rifle was retired.
That scope is now on another Rifle and is performing as well as ever!
The extra power and versatility of the 3.5x10 over the straight 6x will come in handy on many occassions while Hunting - not just at the range for load development and final sight-in!
Best of luck with your new Kimber and whichever scope you choose!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
+1 to VG's recommendation. 3.5-10X would get my vote. Nothing against the 6X, I just prefer the variable if I'm not real concerned about saving every ounce, and if I'm in that mode I wouldn't pick a long action rifle, for .270-ish performance I'd go with 7mm-08 in the Kimber 84M instead of .270 instead of .270 in the 8400M, save a pound+ on the rifle as well as the difference in scope weight.

Tom

© 24hourcampfire