Home
Need some help picking which brand/model of bases to use with Burris Signature rings. I've got a Vortex Viper 2-7x32 coming, and I want to try the Burris Signature rings with it. The gun it's going on is a mid-80s Model 70 Featherweight in .257 Roberts. Which mounts should I get that would work and look the best with this setup?
Leupold Dual Dovetails match very nicely
Depends on the type of Signature rings you'll be using.
Are they the regular windage adjustable rear or the weaver style Signature Zee rings.
Leupold bases are sculpted nicely but Burris bases will likely match perfectly (not that others won't be very close).
Have you already gotten the rings because I have a set of low Signature windage adjustable rings I'm thinking of selling.
Blacktails,

I use Weaver style bases with Burris Signature ZEE rings.
Leupold bases, Burris part number 420501 rings.
Good on the Signature rings, only way to go. I have them on four rifles.

Having used both the dovetail and Weaver style, I'd stick to the Weaver. IMHO, more foolproof. Had the rear windage adjust screw come loose once.

That said...

Burris or Leupold single dovetail bases are a good choice. BIG advantage of the Signatures in this style: When adjusting the windage on the rear, loosen the cap screws on the front just enough to free up those bearings. This allows the scope to pivot laterally when adjusting, and thus prevents torquing the scope tube...or worse, actually bending it.

For the Weaver style, I prefer either the Weaver Grand Slam, or the Leupold equivalent, which are made of steel. They're stronger, look much better, and are easier to keep clean.

Weaver Steel...

[Linked Image]

And aluminum...

[Linked Image]

Weaver Grand Slam steel bases for Winchester...

http://swfa.com/Winchester-C2502.aspx

Leupold equivalent...

http://swfa.com/Leupold-QRW-PRW-2-Piece-Base-P966.aspx
Originally Posted by sir_springer
Burris or Leupold single dovetail bases are a good choice. BIG advantage of the Signatures in this style: When adjusting the windage on the rear, loosen the cap screws on the front just enough to free up those bearings. This allows the scope to pivot laterally when adjusting, and thus prevents torquing the scope tube...or worse, actually bending it.

Thanks for that tip. Makes a lot of sense. I haven't bought the rings yet, since I was waiting to see what people had to say about a base first. I think that I will end up going with the dual dovetail mounts, and will likely go with Burris.
The Leupold DD mounts are a little sleeker than Burris'. I have used the combo before.
I'll endorse what Cal and Longranger have posted. In fact it was as a result of a previous post of Cal's that I swapped my Leupold Universal mounts for Leupold DD with Signature rings. I'm very pleased with the outcome.

Regards,

Tim
© 24hourcampfire