Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Need some help picking which brand/model of bases to use with Burris Signature rings. I've got a Vortex Viper 2-7x32 coming, and I want to try the Burris Signature rings with it. The gun it's going on is a mid-80s Model 70 Featherweight in .257 Roberts. Which mounts should I get that would work and look the best with this setup?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leupold Dual Dovetails match very nicely

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on the type of Signature rings you'll be using.
Are they the regular windage adjustable rear or the weaver style Signature Zee rings.
Leupold bases are sculpted nicely but Burris bases will likely match perfectly (not that others won't be very close).
Have you already gotten the rings because I have a set of low Signature windage adjustable rings I'm thinking of selling.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Blacktails,

I use Weaver style bases with Burris Signature ZEE rings.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Leupold bases, Burris part number 420501 rings.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good on the Signature rings, only way to go. I have them on four rifles.

Having used both the dovetail and Weaver style, I'd stick to the Weaver. IMHO, more foolproof. Had the rear windage adjust screw come loose once.

That said...

Burris or Leupold single dovetail bases are a good choice. BIG advantage of the Signatures in this style: When adjusting the windage on the rear, loosen the cap screws on the front just enough to free up those bearings. This allows the scope to pivot laterally when adjusting, and thus prevents torquing the scope tube...or worse, actually bending it.

For the Weaver style, I prefer either the Weaver Grand Slam, or the Leupold equivalent, which are made of steel. They're stronger, look much better, and are easier to keep clean.

Weaver Steel...

[Linked Image]

And aluminum...

[Linked Image]

Weaver Grand Slam steel bases for Winchester...

http://swfa.com/Winchester-C2502.aspx

Leupold equivalent...

http://swfa.com/Leupold-QRW-PRW-2-Piece-Base-P966.aspx

Last edited by sir_springer; 08/08/10.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by sir_springer
Burris or Leupold single dovetail bases are a good choice. BIG advantage of the Signatures in this style: When adjusting the windage on the rear, loosen the cap screws on the front just enough to free up those bearings. This allows the scope to pivot laterally when adjusting, and thus prevents torquing the scope tube...or worse, actually bending it.

Thanks for that tip. Makes a lot of sense. I haven't bought the rings yet, since I was waiting to see what people had to say about a base first. I think that I will end up going with the dual dovetail mounts, and will likely go with Burris.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
The Leupold DD mounts are a little sleeker than Burris'. I have used the combo before.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'll endorse what Cal and Longranger have posted. In fact it was as a result of a previous post of Cal's that I swapped my Leupold Universal mounts for Leupold DD with Signature rings. I'm very pleased with the outcome.

Regards,

Tim

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

429 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,668
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.