Home
i have used a pair of nikon monarch 3 the past 2 deer seasons and theyre nice binos but once i upgraded my scope to a swarovski it was easy to see how much better the swaro glass is ...mine are 8x42...dont wanna buy swaro binos due to the price but what is something comparable? was looking at possibly the meopta meostar HD binos...does anyone have these? the nikons just dont do that well once the dark sets in and seem kind of grainy
swaro scl, very nice.Your right about the Nikon.I did a side by side,granted the Nikons were not premium(CRS)but the Swaro's blew them away in low light.
I found a used Swarovski 8x30 SLC in the classifieds here last year and could not be happier. Beautiful glass.
Originally Posted by killindeer
i have used a pair of nikon monarch 3 the past 2 deer seasons and theyre nice binos but once i upgraded my scope to a swarovski it was easy to see how much better the swaro glass is ...mine are 8x42...dont wanna buy swaro binos due to the price but what is something comparable? was looking at possibly the meopta meostar HD binos...does anyone have these? the nikons just dont do that well once the dark sets in and seem kind of grainy

Buy once, cry once. You'll waste more money in the long run chasing what you really want than you would just buying it and getting it over with.
I'd take a hard look at Minox myself.

Something else to consider is a Swaro porro prism, which will give most any roof prism a run for the money and are half the price of a top end glass.They are special order through Doug at Cameraland.I have used the 7x42 up in Alaska and they are the bomb.Also owned a 10x40 and honestly ask myself sometimes why I ever bothered with roof prisms.
Originally Posted by Light12
I found a used Swarovski 8x30 SLC in the classifieds here last year and could not be happier. Beautiful glass.

^This^ you just can't beat the quality of Swarvoskis !
Trust me, I've tried every thing out there & always come back to my Swarovski 8x30's
I have several excellent binoculars but I think that the Zeiss Nite Owls are hard to beat. I use them primarily as a pickup glass. I also have Leica Geovid 10X42 HDs and like them alot. They have a little bit much too power for an old man like me but I get along. I had a set of Leica Geovid 8X56's and I wish that I had them back. I have done the Swaro scene and I am not an avid believer that they are better or even as good. The best for the buck is still Bausch & Lomb Zephyers from the 50's and 60's. They are still 90% of the best glasses built today and much cheaper.
I'm very happy with the B1 Meostar 7x42. They're a bit heavy, but image makes up for it. WIDE FOV!!! which is very easy on the eyes. Take down the eyecups and you're looking through massive oculars.
Depending on your needs, you might check out the Cabela's Euro HDs for about $1k sans coupons...
Good luck!
Buy a used pair of swarovski's.
I've always used cheap low grade binocs. Usually low end Bushnell or Nikon. Last year I upgraded to a set of Minox BV 10x42 that I got from Doug at CamerlandNY. I couldn't be happier.

One day I'll upgrade to a high end pair of Swaro/Zeiss but for now these are very good glass at an affordable price.
Have been using old Zeiss ClassiC 10x40 for 10 years or so, during that time I purchased a set of Zeiss Victory's 7x42 and Leica Duovid 8-12x42 but both have gone down the road and I went back to my ClassiC's. I think my next set to try will be a pair of Swarovski EL 8x32..
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

+ whatever the count is up to
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Buy once, cry once. You'll waste more money in the long run chasing what you really want than you would just buying it and getting it over with.

That is the truth. Buy Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss, which ever model YOU like the best.

I myself bought Swarovski SCL.
I bought a pair of Swarovski ELs in 10x42 about 10 years ago and they have been all over the world with me.

At the SCI Show in Reno, I looked at the the new Leicas with the built in Rangefinder and ordered them from Cameraland.

The Leicas have not yet arrived, but my wife suggested that I not get rid of the Swarovskis until I know that I like the Leicas.

I'll let you all know when I have had a chance to compare.

donsm70
Originally Posted by cal74
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

+ whatever the count is up to

yep
I have owned many high end bino's through the years but I think I like my current Swarovski SLC neu 8x30's as good as anything I've owned and that includes a pair Zeiss victory FL 8x32's...............Hb
"Buy once, cry once. You'll waste more money in the long run chasing what you really want than you would just buying it and getting it over with."

NOW! THAT, is a great statement! It's what I am always thinking but that sums it up pretty well!
I have a set of SWARO SLC for years but I had mine fog. Not once but twiceon two diffrernt pair. I had to send them back twice . First time they sent me a new set. Then the new set fogged. Second time they repaired the set. All at no cost. Awsome clarity but if they fog they arn't worth 2 dead flies!. I ended up using a cheap set of Nikons that year.

My leupold VX3 scope has been through everything those two set of binculars has and never fogged!

Based on my personal experiance, I would have a difficult time spending the money again on any SWAR product.
About 25 years ago, I bought Zeiss 10x40. A they were not properly aligned and drove me crazy trying to use them. Dealer gave me a full refund. A year or so later, the dealer had a good introduction price on the Swarovski SLC (8x30). I liked them.

Two years in a row something came loose inside. Likely the glue or whatever they used to keep everything in place. First trip was to the USA repair facility. Second time, back to Austria for a full rebuild. No additional problems whatsoever until last year. I broke the diopter adjustment. I sent them back to the repair facility. About a month later I got back what appeared to be a new glass, except it had the same serial number. They must have gone completely through the binocular. OUTSTANDING service.

SIL liked mine so well that he sold his Zeiss and got the SLC about 7-8 years ago. If I were younger, I would upgrade to the EL, but at 75, there is not much point in that. My eyes are no longer good enough to appreciate the difference.

The old adage that buying the best never disappoints is pretty much spot on. If there are problems, the best will take care of it. Jack
From what I've seen, there are alot of really good binocular in the $1000 range. If the Meoptas look good to you, I suggest you buy the same thing from Cabela's, they call it the Euro HD, and try them out. If you aren't happy with them, they will take'em back and refund your money the last I heard.
I will never buy anything from Swarovski in the way of binoculars. Considering what they cost and their record for fogging, I expect alot more than that for that kind of money.
I do have a couple of Leicas. One is a 12X50 which I use alot for long distance glassing. I doubt I'll ever buy another.
If you want something lighter than the Cabela's Euro, you might consider the Pentax ED's. The 8X43 I checked out was every bit as good as my Leica BA, 8X42. E
Bwa ha ha ha.

Another post from E, another jab at swaros and their so-called "fogging" problem.
If you don't want to accept the experience of others, that's your call. E

The Meopta Meostar is a great choice for what you're pondering.
If you stay on the lookout, you can find a used Leica Ultravid (non-HD) in the general ballpark of the new Meopta's.

You might scrub the Cameraland NY demo list for nice savings on quality peepers.
I have a pair of as-new pentax 10x50 dcf ED,s enroute. I'm looking forward to the comparing with my leica ultravid 10x 42s.
Pentax has really screwed the pooch with sports optics marketing and 'new product entries' but they are sleeper, stellar glass.
Originally Posted by SKane

You might scrub the Cameraland NY demo list for nice savings on quality peepers.

As usual, very sound advice from Scott!
I used to have cheap ones, recognizing that I would upgrade some day. I thought it would be Leica or Zeiss. When it came down to actually looking through all three, for my eyes, the Swaro's were the best hands down.

I bought the 8x42 rangefinder ones. The more I use them the happier I am, bright, clear, sharp... I can go on but you get the idea.

Those guys at Cameraland that advertise on this site are very good to deal with and they have "demos" that come up every now and then. The demos look like new and have a full warranty but come at a smoking price. Might be a way to go.
I have a pair of Zeiss 10x40B's that I got back in the 90's. It's a great glass. I also have a Steiner 8x56 that I like a lot too. They both are razor sharp.
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
I thought it would be Leica or Zeiss. When it came down to actually looking through all three, for my eyes, the Swaro's were the best hands down.

And that is exactly why folks need to experience for themselves.
"Best" is not an absolute in quality optics. Tis independent to an individual's lookers.....And wallet. grin
Love my barska's..........

..........I can look two different directions at once.

Maybe one day I will upgrade to those Jason's or tasco's

Maybe.......
I use two pairs, Leica Trinovid 8x32 BA and Leica Geovid 10x42. When spotting and stocking the smaller, lighter, and wider field of view 8x32 work awesome, I'm not aware of a better tool when coupled with a rangefinder in a belt holster.

When shooting varmints the Geovid with its integral range finder is ideal. It is so much faster to specify a target when your shooting partners are calling out the range and you're able to verify the distance. It greatly reduces the time for getting on target.

Trying to get by with a single binocular will result in a compromise situation but if I were to only have one pair then I would select a pair that best fits your most common hunting scenario.
i have a pair of older swarovski slc 7x42.that are actually in the for sale section i dont need nothing that fancy i ended up buying a set of cheaper leupolds and they work fine for me.
I'm sure you would like the Swarovski if you want to spend that money. I simply couldn't swing that when I went looking. I settled on the Cabela's Euro HD. I love them. When I gather up the $1200 to upgrade to Swaros, I think I will buy a rifle or go on an antelope hunting trip instead! I really do like the Euro HDs that much.
Originally Posted by WITUfan
I'm sure you would like the Swarovski if you want to spend that money. I simply couldn't swing that when I went looking. I settled on the Cabela's Euro HD. I love them. When I gather up the $1200 to upgrade to Swaros, I think I will buy a rifle or go on an antelope hunting trip instead! I really do like the Euro HDs that much.

I was really impressed with the 2 sets of Euro HD (Meopta Meostar) binos I've been around. Really impressive and what I would buy if I were looking for best bang for the buck optics. I would personally rather have a set of these than a twenty year old pair of Swarovskis or Zeiss.
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
I thought it would be Leica or Zeiss. When it came down to actually looking through all three, for my eyes, the Swaro's were the best hands down.

And that is exactly why folks need to experience for themselves."Best" is not an absolute in quality optics. Tis independent to an individual's lookers.....And wallet. grin

Exactly!

I guess that is why this optics forum has some of the threads it does. When I looked through the Leica's I was actually disappointed, but that is my eyes and I can accept that someone else could find them better. Heck, I bought a Leica spotting scope because after comparing the big three side by side, for me, it was the best - for me.
I've used Swarorovski 8x30 SLCs for about 20 years now and love them.

And that is exactly why folks need to experience for themselves.
"Best" is not an absolute in quality optics. Tis independent to an individual's lookers.....And wallet. grin

Lot of truth in that
My meopta's are fantastic. Not much difference between them and the swaro's.
illl tell you i havent looked through the newer swavos,but my 7x42s rival anything ive ever looked through. do u need swavos prolly not.they are nice.in my opinion theres nothing nicer or just as nice. thats jus guys trying to make theirselves believe that.
I have two pair of Leica trinovids, 10x42s and 8x42. The 8x are going to be on ebay by tomorrow evening. The 10xs are used for everything so I don't need the 8x if anyone is interested, just drop me a PM or an email. Like new condition.
I bought a pair of Nikon edg refurbs for $850. Great glass.

Zeiss fl can be attained for less than $1200. Great glass.

Meoptas are the first ones I'd look at
thanks guys. ive gotten some messages about some others i may look into as well. from what ive read on those meoptas tho im really considering giving tgem a try. now to shop around and look for a good deal tho
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../1/FS_Meopta_Meostar_B1_7x42_Bino#UNREAD
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
Bwa ha ha ha.

Another post from E, another jab at swaros and their so-called "fogging" problem.

I've had 2 differnt pair of Swarovski SLC binos fog up internally. After the 1st fogging incident it took me good number of years before I decided to trust & try another pair. A good deal came along when I had a need so I bought another used SLC. Fogged up on me on the 1st rainy day deer hunt. I've heard that Swaro has fixed the problem but I just don't trust em any more. I've been using Zeiss FL for the last 10-12 years and I've beat the absolute heck out of them. Sent em back for a tune up and they are still excellent. I also have Leica RF that I have been using for the last 8 seasons. They too have been flawless. I keep a pair of the Cabelas Euro as a back up and use em around the house. They are built ike a tank and a great value in binos. My .02
thanks guys. ive gotten some messages about some others i may look into as well. from what ive read on those meoptas tho im really considering giving tgem a try. now to shop around and look for a good deal tho
I promise you will be impresssed with the meoptas. I have a buddy who bought the latest swaro, spent over $2000. I bought the meoptas and comparing them side by side, there is no difference in clarity. At dusk, the edge goes to the swaro for light but its a very slight edge. I promise you he was a bit surprised at how well these did at less than half the price. I can honestly say that mine are the clearest bino I've have looked through, being the equal to most any high end bino out there. I have the 8 power meoptas. Ryan
I bought a pair of Minox HG's a few years back from Doug at Cameraland and have been very happy with them!
I mainly use 2 pairs of binoculars....one for open country and long distance glancing Minox HG 10x52 and when walking long distances and need wider field of view I use my Kahles 8x32. I�m very happy with both of them.
Well here in south LA and in Woodville MS, I don't need high power bino's our biggest field is only 230 yds. so I have 3 pair I use.

1. Skane helped me pick up a 8x42 Promaster and I like them. they are my best pair and work well for my eyes

2. but while in the tree stands I like my Leupold Yosamite bino's - I have a 6x30 and a 8x30
Sell the Swarovski scope & buy a used Leupold,then add the difference to your bino fund and get the Swaros.

Binoculars are optical devices; scopes are for aiming.

Just a thought; ymmv...
Each of us should look through the particular optic ourselves and not do what another person's eyes see in another item.

Of late I like the dual power bino's I am using. I can scan well at 7X and switch to 12X to see "what is it".

[Linked Image]
what binoculars do u use? what are the best?

I use Nikon 7X35 Porro. The best are Nikon 7-15X35. I switched a couple years ago because I turned up the variables and watched a deer until it was too late to get on it with the rifle scope. Now when I see game I switch to the rifle scope to enjoy the animal whether I shoot it or not. Not only that the scope goes to 25X so I can get a much better look than at 15X.

I guess you can see I don't subscribe to the idea a scope is just an aiming device.
You don't know much about firearms safety do you?
I use Nikon 7X35 Porro. The best are Nikon 7-15X35. I switched a couple years ago because I turned up the variables and watched a deer until it was too late to get on it with the rifle scope. Now when I see game I switch to the rifle scope to enjoy the animal whether I shoot it or not. Not only that the scope goes to 25X so I can get a much better look than at 15X.

I guess you can see I don't subscribe to the idea a scope is just an aiming device.

[quote]You don't know much about firearms safety do you?/quote]

Did you not understand the variable was the Nikon 7-15X35 not the scope? After I establish it is game I then take a better look with the scope. If you tell me you have never pointed your rifle scope at something you didn't shoot, I would not believe you. Binocs are for finding game. Rifle scopes are for getting that final assessment the vast majority of the time.

By the way, firearms are pointed at something all the time. If you have a horizontal, or there abouts, shoulder holster for you conceal carry it points at a whole bunch of folks everyday. Is that more safe for humans than making a final check with a rifle mounted scope?
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Truth right there^^^^^^^^

I've spent alot of cash over the years trying to get a premium bino glass for less money.
It doesn't ever happen.
Like has been suggested,
Buy a used premium pair in great condition........they are on here all the time.
You won't be sorry......ever again.
Being a college kid, I tried to skimp on binos, until I talked to a few buddies that really know their stuff and have been through it all before, as well as my Old Man. I decided to, like GW and 'slave said, buy once and cry once.

I bought a pair of nicely maintained 10x40 Zeiss Classics T*P for 500 bucks, and couldn't be happier. They aren't 1500 dollar Swaros, but they were at the top end of my budget, and I'm happy I didn't cheap out on 'em. I can't see needing another pair of binos.
Originally Posted by Ringman

[quote]You don't know much about firearms safety do you?/quote]

Did you not understand the variable was the Nikon 7-15X35 not the scope? After I establish it is game I then take a better look with the scope. If you tell me you have never pointed your rifle scope at something you didn't shoot, I would not believe you. Binocs are for finding game. Rifle scopes are for getting that final assessment the vast majority of the time.

By the way, firearms are pointed at something all the time. If you have a horizontal, or there abouts, shoulder holster for you conceal carry it points at a whole bunch of folks everyday. Is that more safe for humans than making a final check with a rifle mounted scope?

Get a spotting scope and do it right. I had a guy "final check" me with a loaded highpowered rifle while elk hunting at first light a few years back....it wasn't too cool. Maybe it was you....did your jaw heal up OK?
Get a spotting scope and do it right. I had a guy "final check" me with a loaded highpowered rifle while elk hunting at first light a few years back....it wasn't too cool. Maybe it was you....did your jaw heal up OK?

Do your horns look like a spike or a more mature bull?
Good god...
You don't hunt much do you?

Not as much as some folks but more than I did when I was working.
Buy used. Leica Ultravids, non HD can be found reasonable.
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

scenar, you know you can't reason with a fool. They beat you with experience every time.
Originally Posted by wageslave

Buy a used premium pair in great condition...

damn good advice. Can't really improve on that. And I offered up a mint set of Leica Trinovids. You can still get'em - but they are over on Ebay now.

Originally Posted by scenarshooter
You don't know much ......

Sorry Pat, had to go back and fix your previous post to Ringman.....
Originally Posted by Tanner
Good god...

It's one thing to troll for your favorite brand of optic, rifle, stocks etc.., but to state you point a gun at something unknown, especially on a hunting site, is down right stupid.
Always a great feeling to know there are idiots in the hills scoping unknown targets with their rifle..Not only that but recommending others do the same..Wasnt it just last year that an OREGON hunter killed someone doing that BS??

Anyway, I use mostly swaro but there are many great choices..

This battery has served me well, STS 80mm with 20-60x and a 30x fixed, SLC 15x56 and EL 10x32's..I really need a rangefinder upgrade, but that old Leica LRF still works great. Also I've never used a switch power bino that I liked,that includes Leica's let alone the junk being recommended earlier in this thread, dont wast your money there.

[Linked Image]
Nice stuff there rosco. Totally agree with you on the switchpower binos. I wouldn't use a pair if they were given to me. The only zoom type bino I'd use is the Leica duovid....they are very nice. The rest are trash.
Originally Posted by rosco1
This battery has served me well,

yup.......

[Linked Image]
to state you point a gun at something unknown, especially on a hunting site, is down right stupid.

You bet! Who posted they point a gun at something unknowwn?
Nice stuff there rosco. Totally agree with you on the switchpower binos. I wouldn't use a pair if they were given to me. The only zoom type bino I'd use is the Leica duovid....they are very nice. The rest are trash.

The rosco1 included Leica in the undesirables. He likes what he likes. You like Leica. I like Nikon variable and '99 likes Leupold switch power. Why should one try to look down on anyone else because they prefer something else?

Not everyone can afford what you or rosco1 can so they should be aware of other options.
to state you point a gun at something unknown, especially on a hunting site, is down right stupid.

You bet! Who posted they point a gun at something unknowwn?

This guy did....

What I think was inferred is that if a deer is spotted at a distance with your binoculars you might scope it to see if it's shootable.

Many of us have rifle scopes with more magnification than our binoculars.

Savage_99,

What I think was inferred is that if a deer is spotted at a distance with your binoculars you might scope it to see if it's shootable.

Don't post logic to him. He read the original post and chose to try to be an internet bully by taking part of it out of context. It is a religion with some here so they can't help it.
Just one example of dozens of posts where you state you use a high powered riflescope in place of a spotting scope. In fact there was one post where you were telling someone they didn't need a spotting scope if the had a 4.5-30 Bushnell Elite scope Rich. I don't know how posting your direct quotes is "bullying" you either. OK, I just saw that I used the word, "dummy" and shouldn't have. My apologies.

Plus I don't like to make a habit of "spotting" with my rifle.

I don't know anyone who doesn't look through a rifle scope at animals. I do read about folks on the net who claim they don't.
Originally Posted by 7025Jack
"Buy once, cry once. You'll waste more money in the long run chasing what you really want than you would just buying it and getting it over with."

NOW! THAT, is a great statement! It's what I am always thinking but that sums it up pretty well!

It took me forty-odd years to learn that...it is the credo I now live by.
RDFinn,

Just one example of dozens of posts where you state you use a high powered riflescope in place of a spotting scope.

If you were to post the whole quotes you would contradict yourself. You know I suggest everytime someone point the scope at something they have established is game with their binos or unaided eyes. You seem to get joy from going off on these tangents and getting others to follow.

If you or anyone else here or in real life tells me they never spotted game, pointed their gun at it and then didn't shoot it I wouldn't believe them.

The vast majority of hunters' scopes max out at maybe 14X as in a 4 1/2-14X. I remember suggesting folks practice with their scope set on its highest setting, then put it on its lowest for hunting, so if they forget and have it on its highest setting it's what they are used to. Of course consistent with the internet bullies someone tried to make me look bad by suggesting the game would jump at 15 yards and disappear at 16 yards. That type of thing happens with open sights. If one doesn't practice quick gun handling it won't make any difference what they are carrying.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
This battery has served me well,

yup.......

[Linked Image]

Huntsman: could you id those binos just for size comparison? I'm shopping to "cry once".
10x EL's and CL's
Savage_99,

Don't post logic to him. He read the original post and chose to try to be an internet bully by taking part of it out of context. It is a religion with some here so they can't help it.

Meeting of the [bleep]' minds right here...

To the OP, I have used the Steiner Peregrines the past two seasons and I am very happy with them.

Travis

Anyway, I use mostly swaro but there are many great choices..

I will have to admit that I like Swarovski as well. I have owned about every kind of higher end glass at one time or another.
Accumulating good glass takes more than one time of "pain of purchase", but after you have a few items, you can always use them. And if you need a new truck or house, you can sell off a few of them and get it...

[Linked Image]
Another vote for Swaros here....

been using the same 8x30s for a loooooooong time now...

[Linked Image]
Buy right and Buy once. Took me some time to get that down cold.

Leica Ultravid 10x42s. I doubt I'll ever need to buy another pair of premium glass.
Leica 8x32 Ultravids.
I sure like (love) my Leicas......
I have an 8.5x43 HD German made Minox that I like very much. I recently sold my old Swarovski porro 10x40 that I've used for 30 years because its eye relief couldn't accomodate glasses (forced to wear them these days). It's almost heresy, but I don't miss them and positively love the Minox.
© 24hourcampfire