Home
Posted By: Canazes9 Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
FX3 6x42 w/ M1, ~250 rounds on top of my 7mm-08AI Montana. Scope lost zero, won't hold zero, won't track. I really like the eye relief and the weight, but can't deal with the failures anymore. SWFA SS is going on this rifle, FX3 going in the classifieds when it gets back from Leupold...

David
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
Leupold is living off the ghost of their brands past.
Posted By: Axtell Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
Originally Posted by Canazes9
FX3 6x42 w/ M1, ~250 rounds on top of my 7mm-08AI Montana. Scope lost zero, won't hold zero, won't track. I really like the eye relief and the weight, but can't deal with the failures anymore. SWFA SS is going on this rifle, FX3 going in the classifieds when it gets back from Leupold...

David

Have one in the repair shop now for the same reason, similar round count.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
Sure not wanting to here this. Just bought a new 6x36.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
I hate stuff like this. Hope you can get your SS in time.

The 6X42 was on the list of stuff being considered for my new .223 next year. Probably not now. I wonder if the problem is an assembly error or a design problem? An awful lot of people hold those in pretty high regard. Even ol' Stick has had some almost good stuff to say about them, I think.
The SS seems really solid, but the aimy thingy is a bit fine for my purposes. Might have to try one anyway.
Posted By: 1234 Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
the best thing about leupold is the warranty

Ed
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
The best thing about SWFA SS's is I don't have a clue how good or bad their warranty is.

David
Posted By: EdM Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
Most recents are a 6x36 on my 270 Montana, zero issues after 100'ish down the barrel and a dead elk. Second is a 1.5-5 on my lightweight 375 H&H with 100'ish down the barrel and zero issues. Many prior, zero issues. While mine have been fine, I do hope they have not spun off the QC group.
Certainly you jest... A leupold scope failing???? Unheard of....
Posted By: 31 bertram Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
Who knows David, ya might not even need the warranty on the new scope.
Originally Posted by 31 bertram
Who knows David, ya might not even need the warranty on the new scope.

I haven't on the other 3 SWFA SS's I own, doubt I will on the next one either.

David
Posted By: NTG Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
It's gotta be that heavy hitting caliber! smirk
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
Originally Posted by 1234
the best thing about leupold is the warranty

Ed

The best thing about SWFA SS's is I don't have a clue how good or bad their warranty is.

David

The best warranty is the one you never need to use.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
Sometimes they hold up pretty good after the rebuild....
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Hopefully it will provide reliable service to its new owner.

David
Posted By: tuam76 Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
I have a VX3 4.5-14x40 LR in for repair now. Out of the box it did not hold zero. I have owned a dozen or more Leupolds and this is first issue I have had.

I bought a VX3 6.5-20x40 LR the same time and no issue at all. I ended up taking this scope with me on my hunt due to the issue with 4.5-14x40.

Kind of a bummer but to be honest not enough to sway me away from the brand...the prices on the VX6 line other hand, well that is another story.

I have always heard good things about the SWFA SS line. I would like to try a fixed 10 power.
Posted By: specneeds Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
There are a several thousand scopes out there that have held zero for 20, 30 or more years and many thousand rounds. You can buy one shoot it for 10 years and sell it for 90% of what you paid. I've never thought that Leupolds were the best value and Zeiss glass just looks better to me but these aren't low quality trashy scopes. My most recent purchase a vx2 is a very nice scope and a great value that I expect to hold up for my clumsy grandson for many years.

Posted By: TATELAW Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The SS seems really solid, but the aimy thingy is a bit fine for my purposes.

I have one in Mildot and one Milquad. I just wish they'd offer a plain duplex as an option in them. Much better for late afternoon, low-light hunting situations.
Boy the leupolds have held up great for me....had a lense separate on one I bought used..and I had it on 3 dif magnum rifles over a 20 year period...they replaced the whole scope and have been using that replacement for 15 years...
This is the second one I've had go tits up this year. They don't seem to like having the turrets twisted. They don't like round counts that involve more than a couple boxes of ammunition a year.

Seems like their old scopes were built significantly better. I've lost confidence in them.

David
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
This is the second one I've had go tits up this year. They don't seem to like having the turrets twisted. They don't like round counts that involve more than a couple boxes of ammunition a year.

Seems like their old scopes were built significantly better. I've lost confidence in them.

David

Are you willing to let me have a look at that scope? cool
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

David

It will be for sale in the classifieds as soon as it comes back from Leupold, you are welcome to it then the same as everybody.

David
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
I'm not a twister, and ordinarily I don't do much adjusting, just enough to correct changes with wooden stocks and different loads every few years. I'm beginning to wonder if the old friction adjustments are more reliable than clicks. I just mounted an older vx-I 4-12 on my Vanguard and it seemed to follow the adjustments just fine. That scope's been on three different .308s, a .204, and now the .223; maybe a couple more I've forgotten. So far so good.

I also wonder if the dual bias-spring models like the VX-3, VX-R, and FX-3 Competition scopes are really better.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15

David

It will be for sale in the classifieds as soon as it comes back from Leupold, you are welcome to it then the same as everybody.

David

Meh.

Pretty sure it will work great.

Sneaking suspicion is worked pretty fine before it went to Leupold. shocked

Funny how guys who have bad Leupolds don't want to let anyone else check out the scope. laugh
Originally Posted by Axtell

David

Have one in the repair shop now for the same reason, similar round count.

Leupolds never go bad. Just AXme how I know that....
[Linked Image]

Throw an extra stitch in doc.... whistle
Posted By: Seafire Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
I admit to being a Leupold fan....

but recently I purchased my first SuperSniper in 12X....

gotta admit, I am not looking to purchase any Leupolds any time soon, but won't get rid of the 20 or I own...

but I do have plans for obtaining some more Super Snipers... in 6x, 10X and 12X....

David

David

Meh.

Funny how guys who have bad Leupolds don't want to let anyone else check out the scope. laugh

Of course John - you're one of the select few capable of telling when a scope that has hit precise POA over and over, dialed up and down and returned flawlessly hundreds of times suddenly can't hit the broadside of the barn. When I don't want to send my scope to you for evaluation I'm a moron.

GFY

[video:youtube]Mo78qm8k2LY[/video]

In the words of Ron White, I'm looking for a scope that holds zero, returns to zero and tracks properly even if you don't know chit about scopes. Funny how the SWFA's deliver on that day in and day out.

David
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
...Of course John - you're one of the select few capable of telling when a scope that has hit precise POA over and over, dialed up and down and returned flawlessly hundreds of times suddenly can't hit the broadside of the barn. When I don't want to send my scope to you for evaluation I'm a moron.

GFY

David

Something about the optics forum just brings out the best in people.
Posted By: sigguy Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/14/15
I have had good luck with my Leupolds over the last 30+ years of shooting, including having a Vari X II 3x9 and a M8 6x42 that both have well over a 1000 rounds through them with no problems.

Here's a thought - While I do not twist turrets, it seems to me that many of the folks who have issues with Leupold's do. Could it be that they simply don't hold up like scopes that are purpose built to do this (i.e. like the SWFA SS scopes)? For example, if you did not frequently twist turrets on the Leupolds, would they hold up better?

Maybe Leupold's QC has slipped. I have a newer VX3 6x42, but that only has a few hundred rounds through it.

The SS scopes certainly seem robust by all accounts, but this has a cost in a heavier and bulkier scope. I am going to try one out myself.

Maybe the Leupold's slimmer size and weight are a design trade-off?

Posted By: kciH Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
Originally Posted by NTG
It's gotta be that heavy hitting caliber! smirk

A 7-08 Montana comes back at you a lot faster than your average 7 Mag.

The Leupold's that I've seen repeatedly break where on a lowly .284 Winchester XP-100. That one has a high recoil speed also.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
How much do you charge to fix them? I sent my VX6 into Leupold as it seemed to be giving 1/2 MOA adjustments in elevation and it seemed to be inconsistent in elevation. The elevation turret is mushy, while windage clicks just fine and seems to do what it is supposed to do. I have not had a chance to shoot it much since it got back, but the elevation turret is 100% the same, mushy, seemingly 1/2 MOA adjustments. Let me know how much and I may ship it too you.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15

Hopefully it will provide reliable service to its new owner.

David

I wish I had a need for that model. I'd make it easy for you.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15

David

David

Meh.

So you think the OP doesn't know how to use a scope or do you think he took to the keyboard for the sole purpose of discrediting Leupold? Either one seems highly unlikely to me.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
Why when I go out to shoot my 3-4 shots per year at 50 yards to check my Leupold scope to see if its "on" I always want to use a totally different factory ammo than I used last year and be sure my Leaper's max strength UTG mounts are a bit loose to mitigate any recoil damage. I always naturally blame Leupold which is the most expensive part of my POS busted stock rusted ass rifle set up.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
I called Leupold repair center the other day and I was put on hold, #53 in line. Wow...
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
I've had a rather exceptionally good run of luck with Reupold 6x42's and 3.5-10X's in both 1" and 30mm. Have rattled 1000+ rds of centerfire boltgun fodder through versions of each,in a single day.

Their newer stuff pales to the elder and I saw (2) of each(fixed/variable) puke,not long ago on Maiden Voyages. Last year was a rough one on same,as several pards had them puke on Hunts and those failures amongst others,transitioned all towards Fixed Fhuqkers in a mass exodus.

Have yet to see a Mark AR scope track worth a fhuqk,I had a 4.5-14x 30mm M1 puke on me not long ago(SAAMI 223 boltgun),have never seen a 4-12x or 6-18x worth a fhuqk...but have long had faith in a good sized herd of Mk4 M1 fixed glass(10's and 16x's),as well as a MK4 M3 6x.

I've had well over 100 Reupolds.

As of Today,I do not know a single soul who'd buy Reupold over a Fixed Fhuqker or Illuminati,who has shot 'em side by each. There's been a mass migration back to steel mounts too and folks are lettin' the LW's go. I'm at ease in being thankful for the fond memories,but Reupold doesn't have an answer to the Fixed Fhuqker,which isn't outright condemnation...because noone else does either. Hint.

It is rather intellesting to dangle 100yd vertical paper and run a glass through it's paces,to see how it's erector behaves and to extrapolate them findings side by each,amongst the ranks. Nothing is warmer/fuzzier than huge erector swings to POA/POI intersection,betwixt pokes and sadly,that sure as fhuqk ain't a 1" Reupolds' longsuit,nor close.

Now do Good Ones exist? Assuredly and it was a more common theme in elder versions,as per my spent primers and those I've gunned with. NONE of them are going to begin to hang,with a Fixed Fhuqker's erector splendor. Especially if windage is touched.(grin)

Reupold has been been maligned more than a bunch,by folks who actually shoot,in regards to their current-ish "efforts" and those facts is founded. Can you scoop an elder vintage 6x42 and M1 the bitch up and "get away with it"?!? You prolly might could and it don't take but a coupla pokes aboard a sound platform,to see where the dust has settled right outta the gate. Is it a far higher connect percentage,to reap the inherent advantages of a Fixed Fhuqker and never fret nothin'?!? Not yes,but FHUQK YES. That with copious fringe benefits that the Reupold cain't match,as well as suffering extry jingle in the pocket. Win/win/win.

Burns is a conniving Charlatan Snake and it'd be a fairly spectacular Duel,to watch her and Safarimam run & gun and fight for position,to fhuqk a Blue Haired Old Bitty...outta her last nickle,with a proprietary "deal" of "repute".

NOTHING brings more to the table than a Fixed Fhuqker and it cracks me up,when they flog on glass I've got,that cost 4x as much and offers less than 50% of the performance.

I could give a fhuqk less,as to who shoots what,I just enjoy Stupid Fhuqkers doing Stupid Schit and pawning it off as a well "thought" out "choice".

You've been led to water.

Hint.....................
Posted By: Terryk Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
I shoot all Leupold because I don't know of a better alternative. I have shot silhouette for 20 years, and 95% of the scopes are Leupold. Silhouette is a clicking activity, and generally scopes are sighted in every match to account to temperature weather etc. Silhouette competition guys do not care about money in general, if there was a better all around scope they would be on the firing line. I don't think there is any brand loyalty. I plan on getting a 3-9 super chicken on black friday for the hell of it (for hunting). I am also thinking about a Zeiss or Swarovski, but it seems they have their detractors also.
I care about weight, clarity, clicks, and don't really care about cost.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
Stick-
For those of us slower on the uptake, "Fixed Fhuqker" is the SWFA SS 6X? yes?
OK. According to the Campfire, Leupold & Vortex suck. I should be looking only at SWFA and Meopta. Any other brands I need to avoid or gravitate towards?
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
OK. According to the Campfire, Leupold & Vortex suck. I should be looking only at SWFA and Meopta. Any other brands I need to avoid or gravitate towards?

Scott,

I struggled with my decision on what to put on this rifle. Like I said, I REALLY like Leupold weight and eye relief. I've had SWFA SS on my Montana before it was rebarreled and it worked well, but I liked the Leupold better.

I rolled the dice and went with the Leupold, now I'm SOL 13days before I leave for my mule deer hunt. Really regretting not putting a SWFA SS 3-9x42 on here in the 1st place. The other FX3 that I had repaired earlier this year seems to be fine, but I'm not feeling lucky. Gonna go SWFA SS because they have been 100% reliable for me over many thousands of rounds fired.

No malice intended in this whatsoever:

I don't care what you buy/use. Simply reporting my experiences.

David
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
David,

Was it the same rifle that killed both FX-3? Details on the Leupo killers? Rifle, cartridge, mounts, weight, etc?

I'd be interested in the diagnosis once you get it back from Leupo.

I went 100% SWFA and steel awhile back and don't regret it.

Jason

David,

Sorry buddy, not aimed at you. Your situation sucks. I don't blame you. Just seems to be so much backlash against Vortex and Leupold. Never owned a Vortex scope but most of my optics are Leupold & Weaver with two Zeiss and one SWFA. I haven't had issues but I'm not generally cranking on my dials.

All these Leupold stories have me really rethinking my recent VX3 CDS purchase. To your point eye box and light weight are key selling points for Leupold. I really like the Weaver Grand Slam Tactical that is a midway exclusive. I've had it on 3 different rifles at it always holds zero tracks well.

My buddy is having issues with his Leupold Scout scope. He is shooting 11" groups at 50 yards. All his rings are tight. He is a Leupold true believer and can accept the fact that it's probably his scope. I can guarantee it's not his Steyr.

Good luck on your hunt.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
David,

Round count on the Leupo killing would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

Jason
Posted By: ingwe Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
Th is kinda like everything else. Peoples experience varies, and shapes their opinions.

I am a Big Time Leupold Fan.

I would immediately sell any Kimber Rifle somebody gave me, and I wouldn't walk across the street to accept the gift . Others here worship at the altar of Kimber.

I feel soiled any time Im forced to even touch a Weatherby Mark V, but again others have great experiences with them.

This is truly a case of YMMV grin
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
Jason,

My other FX3 was on the Montana for about 1100 rounds - same Talley rings. I pulled it off to try a SWFA SS 6x42, prior to the rebarreling.

I moved the FX3 to my Benelli 30-06. Prior to putting the FX3 on there, this rifle wore a Trijicon 2.5-10x56 for ~1500-2000 rounds. The Benelli/Trijicon combo was my main weapon in an ongoing pig jihad that lasted for many years. We won many many battles, but ultimately lost the war. The pigs continued to over run our operating area in ever increasing numbers, seemingly unaffected by the mass slaughter - but I digress...

The Trijicon is still alive and kicking, tracks accurately (within its limited range of adjustment), returns to zero, stays zeroed. I decided I would try a less clunky optic on the Benelli and it killed the FX3 in about 100 rounds. The FX3 has made the round trip to Leupold and is back on the Benelli, about 100 rounds fired since then, seems to be working fine.

David
Originally Posted by noKnees
Stick-
For those of us slower on the uptake, "Fixed Fhuqker" is the SWFA SS 6X? yes?

Yes. And the "illuminati" is the SS 1-4 by the same maker. Great scopes.
Posted By: STS45 Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
Do you think it is the M1 turret that is causing the problem? Are guys having issues with the FX-3's that don't have turrets?

This thread has me a little nervous as I have one on order with the M1. I like the SWFA 6x but prefer the Leupold due to weight.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
...Any other brands I need to... gravitate towards?

Nightforce NXS. The 2.5-10x42 Compact is a nice "hunting" size scope and the NXS line has proven itself over the years. The 5.5-22x56 is a go to for targets and long-range big boomers. I've bought most of mine used and had no issues with any of them - ever.

My oldest NF NXS has many 1,000's of rounds over some bigger rounds, 7WSM's, 300 Win Mags, 338 Lapuas, and too many 308 rounds to count. It is still the one I use to check a new rifle.

I lost confidence in Leupolds years ago and have only a 4x fixed remaining, and that is just on a 22LR. I have a SWFA SS 6x. It is a great value, has proven to be reliable so far and will buy more, which I cannot say about Leopold anymore.

Overall, I prefer the NF NXS Compact 2.5-10x42.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 14Homer Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
Big Stick, you are obviously very knowledgeable about shooting, etc. But shall we say, your presentation of information is a little bit questionable.

Reading your posts does make me curious though. We have a very qualified member who obviously wants to show people how he is a good shooter, hunter, fisherperson etc. screwing up in the delivery of the information.

I understand you live in Alaska but I had not heard of Paradise Alaska. I googled it and they say it is a wedding chapel.

Anyway, I would like to met you in person. I get around Alaska quite a bit and maybe we could get together and go shooting some time. And not a match or anything, just a fun afternoon.

Let me know if you would like to do it.

And now I have to leave to chase bears.

PS How do you know if I am a woman or a man?
Posted By: Ringman Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
You guys who have bad experience with Leupold is like my experience with Burris. I purchased a .223 heavy 26" barreled Savage and installed a Burris Signature 8-32X. After about 2000 rounds the groups started opening up. Since I usually use magnums I figured the barrel was wore out and mentioned it to Bob at Bob's Accuracy Shop. He told me, "There is no way it is wore out in 2000 rounds. Put a different scope on it." I did. The first five shot group measured .312".

When the scope came back I reinstalled it on the .223. After a few range sessions I thought I must have installed it with the reticle canted so I corrected it. A few more range sessions and I noticed the same thing. Again I returned it to Burris.

During sighting in when it returned I went to adjust the windage. When I took off the cap, there was no turret to adjust. I looked in the cap: Viola! There it is!

They sent me a new one in the shrink wrap box so I could trade it at the store.

I installed a Burris 2 1/2-7X on my .454. Burris told me it could handle the recoil. It didn't last ten shots before everything was blurry. I sent it in for repair. It went blurry on the third shot. Again they sent me a new one in shrink wrap.

My 4-12X Fullfield fogged inside. They repaired it.

Good customer service. I don't do Burris anymore.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
Originally Posted by 14Homer
Big Stick, you are obviously very knowledgeable about shooting, etc. But shall we say, your presentation of information is a little bit questionable.

Reading your posts does make me curious though. We have a very qualified member who obviously wants to show people how he is a good shooter, hunter, fisherperson etc. screwing up in the delivery of the information.

I understand you live in Alaska but I had not heard of Paradise Alaska. I googled it and they say it is a wedding chapel.

Anyway, I would like to met you in person. I get around Alaska quite a bit and maybe we could get together and go shooting some time. And not a match or anything, just a fun afternoon.

Nobody really knows what you are anymore Root....
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
Originally Posted by STS45
Do you think it is the M1 turret that is causing the problem? Are guys having issues with the FX-3's that don't have turrets?

This thread has me a little nervous as I have one on order with the M1. I like the SWFA 6x but prefer the Leupold due to weight.

No.

Leupold's lack of QC is the problem.

I've discussed this online for a few years. Wonky erectors (POA/POI) and canted reticles straight out of the shrink wrapped box.

The boys over at Hill Country Rifles have lost confidence in Leupold scopes. They've stated for the past several years that the scopes aren't what they use to be.

My experience (and Matt at HCR) is that if you send a scope in for a turret and/or reticle change, it seems to come back ready to go... but unfortunately too large of a percentage of those end up going tits up.

I personally no longer trust Leupold scopes, and have sent all but a few 6x42mm down the road.
Posted By: 14Homer Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by 14Homer

Nobody really knows what you are anymore Root....

What do you mean by root...?
Posted By: rifleman700 Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/15/15

David

David

Meh.

Amen to this statement!!
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/16/15
Terryk,

Sillywet involves rather modest sight adjustments and the requisite erector travel is hardly anything at all,even with .125 MOA adjustments doubling the revolution(which I've always despised).

The 1" Reupold 6.5-20x is a long "honored" Sillywet glass and a screaming piece of schit to boot. They are amazingly tender and do not track for fhuqk in comparison to a Fixed Fhuqker. Further,Fixed Fhuqkers wear etched reticles and will have more moves remaining on their windshield,than a 6.5-20x does in it's remaining erector travel.

For Killing or anything else,I'm happy to leave variables behind and would much rather have a 6x42 than a 3-9x.............

'knees,

"Fixed Fhuqker" denotes any/all of the lineage that is Prime in nature. I've got 6,10,12 and 16's in MQ and all but the 16 in MD as well. You want MQ only,not so much due the erector's values,but the doubled subtension range(10 Mils instead of 5 for ele) and more tactile adjustments. It is easier for folks to drive a system who's erector is in synch with it's windshield and when everything extrapolates in lineal fashion.

6x is tough to whoop for Killing.............

'dallas,

Cheer up...Meopta sucks too.

A scope which doesn't allow one to arrange POA/POI intersections,is simply a worthless piece of schit. Meopta drops all balls and cain't connect a single fhuqking dot.

CDS is the cough Silencer of the Scope World.

Most folks is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy over-X'd and wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy under savvied,on what do what and more importantly,why. They are in The Stone Age and lauding writing their initials on a rock wall,with a stick dipped in their own schit.

But it IS fhuqking funny!................(grin)

4th,

The Steel Fixed Fhuqker stance,is The Rock of Gibraltar....................

'gwe,

I shoot an open mind and daily.

Long ago,I learned to treat every new scope acquired,as being beyond suspect and they HAD to prove their merit to make the cut. Standard fare to send every Reupold to the Factory and have them gone through with ele turret added.

Lotsa schit gets culled,in sucha manner and I long ago perfected setting schit glass on a stump and shooting it with good glass.

Have yet to see a rifle not get better,with the swap to a Fixed Fhuqker going on board and can only comment in the firsthand,on a coupla dozen Montuckys that've seen the light.

Hint.................

'9,

You are gonna talk me into a 6x Fixed Fhuqker yet.............(grin)

'45,

When the dust settles,you is the only one that needs to be warm/fuzzy.

My faith in elder Reupolds is vastly superior,to their current "efforts".

Just (1) 6x42 Fixed Fhuqker poke on the erector and another on the windshield,would have you gathering goods for a Yard Sale.

Hint.............

'bird,

The 2.5-10x 42 NightFarce is their best effort.

I'm sooooooooooooo fhuqking done with variables..............

'Homer,

You suck a mean ass there Sugar Tits.

I reckon I'm yet again flattered,that a Drooling Dumbfhuqk felt compelled to Register,in order to try and rub elbows with me.

Bless your heart...............

Ringmam,

As Burris Woes go,I failed more Signatures than Fullfields...though never had an issue with their Pistole Glass n any form.

Only fhuqking Burris would go turrets AND PosiLock on the same scope. laughing!

The Stupid Fhuqkers are nearly as dumb as you.

Congratulations?!?....................

'bean,

Don't slight how "real" Imagination and Pretend are to her............

FO',

I retain some 6x42's,1" 3.5-10x's(A/O and non-A/O),30mm MK4 3.5-10x's in M1 and M3,MK4 M3 6x and MK4 M1 10 & 16x's. Not counting 3-9x Compacts,"regulars" and 12x Sillywets.

Would rather Fixed Fhuqk,over any of 'em.............

'700,

Purty easy to cypher what do what,with a Skookum platform and a first fhuqking clue.

Especially side by each.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hint......................
Posted By: Forest Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/16/15
Stick,

Though you seem to have a way of explaining things that may seem somewhat harsh your logic is rather difficult to ignore. Cant say as I've ever been disappointed in being led to water. grin

I just purchased a used Sako AV Finnbear 270 with a 9 1/2 twist barrel without a scope. I think I'll give the fixed 6 a go. They appear to be $299 from SWFA.

Do you have a recommendation as to a bullet to try that will reach out a ways. Mag confines are a generous 3.63 and lands and groves with a 140 AB are at 3.80 C.O.L. Was thinking about trying the LR 150 AB unless you have a different recommendation. THANKS

FOREST
Posted By: mathman Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/16/15
Originally Posted by Forest
Stick,

Though you seem to have a way of explaining things that may seem somewhat harsh your logic is rather difficult to ignore. Cant say as I've ever been disappointed in being led to water. grin

I just purchased a used Sako AV Finnbear 270 with a 9 1/2 twist barrel without a scope. I think I'll give the fixed 6 a go. They appear to be $299 from SWFA.

Do you have a recommendation as to a bullet to try that will reach out a ways. THANKS

FOREST

You're about to be told you're a clueless dumbphuk for having bought a 270. grin
Posted By: tarheelpwr Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/16/15
Originally Posted by Forest
Stick,

Do you have a recommendation as to a bullet to try that will reach out a ways. THANKS

FOREST

I'd wait till Black Friday. They usually do a deal.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/16/15
Hang on to Black Friday. Heck you might even see some new turret adjusters......
Posted By: SU35 Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/16/15
I called Leupold repair center the other day and I was put on hold, #53 in line. Wow...

I've run into this too and I think it is due to Leupold taking your phone # and then calling you back.

They usually call back pretty quick and its more convenient than waiting.

I've yet to crash a Leupold, old or new and the idea of buying a HEAVY Tasco aka super chicken does nothing for me unless it may be a target/tac rifle.

I love Leupold 4.5x14s and the new one inch CDS I used last week to bust a nice mule deer buck at 560 yards functioned as advertised.

Posted By: Forest Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/16/15
Originally Posted by mathman
[quote=Forest]Stick,

FOREST

You're about to be told you're a clueless dumbphuk for having bought a 270. grin [/quote/]

Probably a given grin

For $600 in excellent condition I figure I can trip it for around $900 so really could'nt turn this one down. smile

Black friday sale.....good to know. Thanks fellas

FOREST

Posted By: peeshooter Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/16/15
In a Sako no less!
Posted By: atse Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/16/15
If you had one of these "heavy tasco's" and shot it very much, you would sing a different toon.
If you had one of these "heavy tasco's" and shot it very much, you would sing a different toon.

So far the tune I sing has been working just fine. Heavy 20 oz. scopes on carry rifles is not one of them. Their eye relief does nothing for me either.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/16/15
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Terryk,

'knees,

"Fixed Fhuqker" denotes any/all of the lineage that is Prime in nature. I've got 6,10,12 and 16's in MQ and all but the 16 in MD as well. You want MQ only,not so much due the erector's values,but the doubled subtension range(10 Mils instead of 5 for ele) and more tactile adjustments. It is easier for folks to drive a system who's erector is in synch with it's windshield and when everything extrapolates in lineal fashion.

6x is tough to whoop for Killing.............

Stick, can you give me a quick review how the turret is in synch with the dots (SS glass)? I appreciate it. Thanks.

I was a little surprised to hear that you are drifting from lightweight mounts and going back to steel. Have you tried DNZ mounts?

What he is saying is that the reticle subtensions (dots or hash marks) have the same value, distance wise, with the turret clicks meaning the turret clicks are in mils (MRADS) as are the hash marks. Some scopes will have a mil dot reticle but the adjustments are in moa increments (such as 1/4 or 1/3 click values). When he says "windshield" he is simply referring to the reticle and it's hash marks. No scope south of a thousand bucks has the amount of erector travel as the SS scopes do nor are they as repeatable and accurate. Nightforce and some of the Bushnell Elites such as the newer LRHS, LRS off the top of my head run with the SS scopes but the list is short. Granted these scopes are heavy, but they are built for heavy duty use which is why they are popular with the tactical crowd. There is a guy who posts here that goes by the name of Formildilous (I think that's the spelling) who is a military sniper who swears by the durability of the SS scopes and I believe he has stated that one of the variable SS scopes he has is running with something like 60,000 rounds under it. Sounds unbelievable, but I believe him as their track record is well documented.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/16/15
Originally Posted by SU35

So far the tune I sing has been working just fine. Heavy 20 oz. scopes on carry rifles is not one of them. Their eye relief does nothing for me either.

A Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 weighs 13 ounces, the VX6 weighs 17.8, the NF 2.5-10x 42 weighs 19 ounces, and the SWFA fixed 6x weighs 20 ounces.

To me, an extra 6 - 7 (or 1-2 for the VX6) ounces is a great investment to make sure the scope will work when needed.

Leopold's "great" lifetime customer service is worthless when the buck of a lifetime is standing there.

The best customer service is to design it right, build it right, and care enough about the customer to quality control check it before it goes and the door so that it does not come back.

As mentioned before, I've sold off my Leupolds and mostly use NF now, but gave the SWFA SS a try and have been surprised and impressed. It offers a great value for the price, tracks accurately and reliably, and is durable.

Careful Jeff. You'll have the fan boys all uptight. Heck they might even say your scopes really aren't broken and that all you are doing is trying to get attention by posting any disparaging remarks with turd-like insinuations.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Careful Jeff. You'll have the fan boys all uptight. Heck they might even say your scope really aren't broken and that all you are doing is trying to get attention by posting any disparaging remarks with turd-like insinuations.

None of my Leupolds are broken - because they are all gone, except for one on a 22LR. grin

I just hate to see folks have equipment that does not work properly.

Like Burns, rcamuglia used to question folks reporting problems with Leupolds until it happened to him. Thankfully he was honest and candid about it.

Originally Posted by rcamuglia
What's the difference in price? Hate to say it but Leupold broke my heart. I'd look at the Nightforce...

It is a good thread worth reading again.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...Number/9434014/what/showflat/fpart/1/q/1

Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/16/15
Originally Posted by jeffbird

A Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 weighs 13 ounces, the VX6 weighs 17.8, the NF 2.5-10x 42 weighs 19 ounces, and the SWFA fixed 6x weighs 20 ounces.

To me, an extra 6 - 7 (or 1-2 for the VX6) ounces is a great investment to make sure the scope will work when needed.

Leopold's "great" lifetime customer service is worthless when the buck of a lifetime is standing there.

The best customer service is to design it right, build it right, and care enough about the customer to quality control check it before it goes and the door so that it does not come back.

As mentioned before, I've sold off my Leupolds and mostly use NF now, but gave the SWFA SS a try and have been surprised and impressed. It offers a great value for the price, tracks accurately and reliably, and is durable.

The Mark 4 Leupy LR/T 30mm 16x40 with M1s weighs more than a SWFA 16x42.... And has an MSRP of $2000. Thank you Mr Farris...
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/16/15
Like Burns, rcamuglia used to question folks reporting problems with Leupolds until it happened to him. Thankfully he was honest and candid about it.

You make me smile. grin Can you see the smile???

[Linked Image]

Can you see the Gold Ring. laugh laugh laugh laugh

Yes I am laughing at you.

Please hang a Super Sniper Pic.
Here's to using Golden Rings for 40 years.

Please fell sorry for me Jeff.

[Linked Image]

Leupold 4.5x14

Well, the torque wrench was handy, but could not find any 550 for hanging without going to my truck and it's not worth that effort. Did manage to find an old stick to prop it up for a photo for you though. Funny, you sure are defensive. I could care less what you use. Congrats on a nice bull and to you too SU.

Anyway, as you requested.... 6x fixed.

[Linked Image]

As mentioned, Nightforce is really my preference.

Posted By: bellydeep Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/16/15

Well, the torque wrench was handy, but could not find any 550 for hanging without going to my truck and it's not worth that effort. Did manage to find an old stick to prop it up for a photo though. Funny, you sure are defensive. I could care less what you use.

[Linked Image]

That is one HELL of a badass pic!!!!

You must be one of the windowlickers Big Stick always talks about.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/16/15
[Linked Image]
Leupold 4.5x14

Nice buck laugh

Well, the torque wrench was handy, but could not find any 550 for hanging without going to my truck and it's not worth that effort. Did manage to find an old stick to prop it up for a photo for you though. Funny, you sure are defensive. I could care less what you use. Congrats on a nice bull and to you too SU.

[Linked Image]

Well then hang a NF pic. grin

We are just having fun.
Cull from last weekend. 6's just have to go. Enjoyed some grilled cutlets for dinner tonight. NF 2.5-10x42.

[Linked Image]

Get lucky now and then with my old milsurp rifle with a NF 5.5-22.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: jimmyp Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/17/15
I think I am going to put my 2.5-10 x 42 on a Kimber montana in talley mounts. I am not crazy about the reticle for hunting but it beats the chit out of finding your gun shooting a bit off after you carefully sighted it in the week before, maybe it is you but you always wonder with some scopes.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/17/15

Get lucky now and then with my old milsurp rifle with a NF 5.5-22.

[Linked Image]

That's a dandy.

A buck like that would make suffering a NF much easier. laugh
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/17/15
Well at least you and your shadow, Stick, can agree on something as he thinks NF are schitt.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/17/15
Thank you John.

Here's another with a NF in the photo. 5.5-22 again.

[Linked Image]

What's with the incognito pics ?
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/17/15
either ugly or on the lamb is my guess
Not on the run. The animals and gear are the points of interest.
Double secret agent ? To many sick calls in to work during hunting season ?
Posted By: Calvin Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/17/15
Leupold crosshairs have been on a lot of animals for me. I like them. I hope they see the light and start beefing up their tracking.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Double secret agent ? To many sick calls in to work during hunting season ?

Y'all are a hoot. Neither, although I've helped a good number of LEO's and vets through the years.

I am self-employed for many years, so I get along well with the boss.

Here's another for John. Probably have a few more somewhere. These are all low fence deer from South Texas.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RWE Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/17/15
I usually block out my visage because of the effect I have on wimmen.

Posted By: deflave Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/17/15
Stick,

What height rings do you use with the duel dovetail bases on your Montana's? And do you use a different height for the illuminati vs. the 6X?

Travis
Posted By: JPro Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/17/15
So the LW's are having a poor track record as of late? Out of spec or actually failing to hold up?

The Leupold thing I can believe. I've had some that suddenly lost the ability to hold zero, although they weren't turret-spinners. Considering how many Leupolds I've had, a couple of failures (one being a really old 4x) did not seem like an abundance. I will say that the most recent specimen I bought new had a bunch of trash/debris in the view and had to go back for internal cleaning. Should not have left the factory that way.

I'm getting ready to hit a Texas ground blind after doing several hundred laps in the pool....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SU35 Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/17/15
Leupold crosshairs have been on a lot of animals for me. I like them. I hope they see the light and start beefing up their tracking.

There's truth to that. I proof every scope before taking them out for the big hunt. I did have one failure with a Mark 2 and image jump.

Jeff, thanks for the pics! Great looking deer!

I like those Super Chickens and NF btw. There's a place for them for sure.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/17/15
Where is the best place to buy a 2.5-10 42mm NSX? What reticle for hunting in the brush? I imagine lighted is best, with no issues?
Originally Posted by Terryk
Where is the best place to buy a 2.5-10 42mm NSX? What reticle for hunting in the brush? I imagine lighted is best, with no issues?

Terry,

for new, Euro Optics there in PA is wonderful to deal with, doubtless there are others. NF has minimum allowed pricing for dealers, so they all should be the same. Some will throw in a perk on something else like a discount on rings, rails, or bases. Ask for Jason, sometimes he has a demo or trade-in and can make a deal. Alex the owner often picks up the phone and is also helpful.

Reticles really are a personal preference. For MOA, MOAR is my preference. MIL-R is the way to go for mils. Picked up a IHR at a good price and have been using it. It is a very clean traditional type reticle and works well for close, but lacks the information available from the MOAR or MIL-R, which is helpful for longer distances.

Make sure the turrets match the reticle, i.e. MOA/MOA or Mil/Mil, beyond that it is just a personal preference.

If you prefer capped turrets, that saves a few dollars. For external turrets, a zero stop is a must have in my opinion. External turrets are faster. Some worry about them being knocked off and prefer capped. I have both and prefer the external, but both work fine.

Illumination is nice to have, especially for the pigs in low light. The illumination is adjustable. Set it to the lowest setting, which is plenty bright in low light.

Here are the reticle options.

http://nightforceoptics.com/nxs/2-5-10x42

Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/17/15

for new, Euro Optics there in PA is wonderful to deal with, doubtless there are others. NF has minimum allowed pricing for dealers, so they all should be the same. Some will throw in a perk on something else like a discount on rings, rails, or bases. Ask for Jason, sometimes he has a demo or trade-in and can make a deal. Alex the owner often picks up the phone and is also helpful.

Euro Optics has been good for me to deal with also.

The minimum pricing policy is what they officially have to charge, but many of the bigger optics dealers will cut a deal if you call them and ask. Don't just order off the website, call several dealers directly and ask for their best price. It'll save you some money.
Posted By: Magnumdood Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/17/15
Doug at Camera Land (http://cameralandny.com) is a forum sponsor and he sells new optics at the lowest price allowed. He also sells demos at really reduced prices even though they look new.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/17/15
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Doug at Camera Land (http://cameralandny.com) is a forum sponsor and he sells new optics at the lowest price allowed. He also sells demos at really reduced prices even though they look new.

True, but he's not a nightforce dealer and the poster asked about buying a NSX 2.5-10x42.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/17/15
Forest,

I'm at ease talking purty,in order to paint poignant peectures.

The Finnbears are nice,as long as you heed their COAL constraints. A .473" screams "6-06" to me,with 105's at 3300fps and change.

Tough to get giddy about Blued/Walnut,but the elder Sako triggers are nice and I've never shot a mounting system loose upon one. Never have seen one with a 6x42.(grin)

Pardon my being unable to condone a 270...mainly because I've had quite a fhuqking few of them,unfortunately. Trip the compromised Sako for profit and roll the loot into mechanical sanctity of inherent advantage,which can only be Synthetic and S/S.

Pass the Montucky and steel wound Fixed Fhuqker. It'll be lighter scoped,than the Finnbear is nekked.

Hint....................

'35,

Everyone who's shot a Fixed Fhuqker in the flesh,next to a Reupold...has yarded the Reupolds off and went Fixed Fhuqker. Especially on Montuckys and I've prolly been around a few. Nawww...a fhuqk of a lot more than that.(grin)

Happiness,is a handy/dandy rifle you can fhuqking club Seals with,then happily arrange distant zipcode POA/POI correlations,less a single fret. That on both the erector and windshield,as per whim.

Easy for me to say,I've got 'em all.................

'luvr,

I've shot a fair amount of DNZ and it all sucks ass. Their ring "spacing" is simply atrocious and that heavily compromises glass integrity.

Going light is great,until you exceed the rugged/reliability threshold and a platform takes a schit,due a glass or mount puke. Such things grow old,rather quickly...doubly so,when it costs Critterly Opportunity.

The mass exodus from Reupold to Fixed Fhuqker is founded in them realities,as is the shift from aluminum to steel mounting systems. Trust and confidence is powerful parcels. While I've only had a couple dozen sets of LW's,I've puked (3) of 'em. Every hard shooting/hard hunting pard,has puked at least (1). DD's are old and familiar territory,that has never let me down and the move back is an easy one.

Windshield/erector Synchtitude,is predicated on both speaking the same language. That obvious,escapes many.

"Traditional" mildot scopes had a coupla globs of schit splashed on the windshield,that subtended in kind to a milscale,but had erectors that was Greek,in that they had increments different in their value(.25 MOA typically). Subtension dope was one flavor,erector dope another and then rounded to the nearest "click" value. I've shot the melding bajillions of times and was/am at ease in the approach,but it isn't nearly as intuitive to folks,as simply gunning a system that has like values in either approach...or a melding thereof.

Let's say this is a 900yd victim(it ain't as quantified by subtension,but play along),posing for a 22" SAAMI 162 'Max at 2700fps,from a 225yd zero. With a "Traditional" mildot,the windshield is no joy,because it is greater than a 5 Mil correction to arrange POA/POI. 7 Mils is required and that's not happening on a 5 Mil reticle,for obvious reason(barring Jarheadery and zeroing a couple Mils above crosshair intersection,to stretch the Goat Fhuqkery).

[Linked Image]

With the 6x MQ,it's a nanosecond correction,to place requisite holdoff and punch the tag. Click the pic,for a closer look. 7 Mils is the middle of the tickmark that has the angular denotation of "62.4".

[Linked Image]

Or if you'd rather dope the erector and hold crosshair intersection,it is a breeze to whirl the turret (1) complete revolution for 5 Mils and dump another 2 Mils into it,for a total of 7 Mils correction. That'd take about 3 seconds. Shoot,go back to zero and punch a tag. BFD.

Were you in a mood,you could dial 3.5 Mils on the erector and hold 3.5 Mils on the windshield,to yield the requisite 7 Mil correction and POA/POI would be in the identical location,as both methods above. Shoot,go back to zero and punch a tag. BFD.

Any/all combinations that add up to the required input,will reliably arrange POA/POI intersections. Tough to fhuqk that up. Hint.(grin)

Say you have a new rifle. Yu will be in the berries on the 2nd poke. Boresight,then shoot 100yd paper. Measure where the boolit landed,in relation to where the crosshairs were broke and subtend the difference. If you are 3.7 Mils right and 2.9 Mils high...it will take but seconds to adjust 3.7 Mils left on the erector and 2.2 down on same. That will leave you .7 Mils high,which is the 100yd zero height(+2.4") for the 7-08/162/2700fps load cited. Zero the turrets.

Shot #2 is the 500yd line and that is a 2.3 Mil correction,which is less than halfa turret revolution. Shoot and watch it home to POA/POI intersection. BFD.

Hint..................

'bird,

I know of (3) Light Rifles wearing Reupolds,that puked on Critters,last year alone. All have been Fixed Fhuqkered for the WIN.

No other Manufacturer,connects as many dots in fixed glass,as a Fixed Fhuqker do. They cain't match the reticle or erector latitude.

Lotsa folks fawn glass,but a fixed S&B with dismal erector travel,is a useless piece of fhuqking schit. Gimme the mechanical advantages and I'll happily/easily get the boolit on the scene.

Mainly because I do it daily...............(grin)

'Boomer,

THANKS for the specs!

16x MQ

[Linked Image]

16x MK4 M1

[Linked Image]

Chris done good...but all 16x's suck.

Hint.......................

'deep,

Bless your heart you Whining Kchunt...you fhuqking gawwdamned nearly said sumptin' about The Rifle.

You suck a mean ass.

Laughing!....................

jimmyp,

If it ain't warm/fuzzy...get it the fhuqk outta da mix..............

'flave,

I'm happiest with things nestled.

42.7 Mils remaining on an erector...do not suck.

[Linked Image]

My Illuminati's is on Kruchentickers and 77/22 K-Hornet...................

'Pro,

Obscene round count and weather,do no wares...no favors.

I puke alotta schit..................

Posted By: BobinNH Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/17/15

[Linked Image]

Leupold 4.5x14

That's a great buck!
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/18/15

'luvr,

I've shot a fair amount of DNZ and it all sucks ass. Their ring "spacing" is simply atrocious and that heavily compromises glass integrity.

Going light is great,until you exceed the rugged/reliability threshold and a platform takes a schit,due a glass or mount puke. Such things grow old,rather quickly...doubly so,when it costs Critterly Opportunity.

The mass exodus from Reupold to Fixed Fhuqker is founded in them realities,as is the shift from aluminum to steel mounting systems. Trust and confidence is powerful parcels. While I've only had a couple dozen sets of LW's,I've puked (3) of 'em. Every hard shooting/hard hunting pard,has puked at least (1). DD's are old and familiar territory,that has never let me down and the move back is an easy one.

Windshield/erector Synchtitude,is predicated on both speaking the same language. That obvious,escapes many.

"Traditional" mildot scopes had a coupla globs of schit splashed on the windshield,that subtended in kind to a milscale,but had erectors that was Greek,in that they had increments different in their value(.25 MOA typically). Subtension dope was one flavor,erector dope another and then rounded to the nearest "click" value. I've shot the melding bajillions of times and was/am at ease in the approach,but it isn't nearly as intuitive to folks,as simply gunning a system that has like values in either approach...or a melding thereof.

Let's say this is a 900yd victim(it ain't as quantified by subtension,but play along),posing for a 22" SAAMI 162 'Max at 2700fps,from a 225yd zero. With a "Traditional" mildot,the windshield is no joy,because it is greater than a 5 Mil correction to arrange POA/POI. 7 Mils is required and that's not happening on a 5 Mil reticle,for obvious reason(barring Jarheadery and zeroing a couple Mils above crosshair intersection,to stretch the Goat Fhuqkery).

[Linked Image]

With the 6x MQ,it's a nanosecond correction,to place requisite holdoff and punch the tag. Click the pic,for a closer look. 7 Mils is the middle of the tickmark that has the angular denotation of "62.4".

[Linked Image]

Or if you'd rather dope the erector and hold crosshair intersection,it is a breeze to whirl the turret (1) complete revolution for 5 Mils and dump another 2 Mils into it,for a total of 7 Mils correction. That'd take about 3 seconds. Shoot,go back to zero and punch a tag. BFD.

Were you in a mood,you could dial 3.5 Mils on the erector and hold 3.5 Mils on the windshield,to yield the requisite 7 Mil correction and POA/POI would be in the identical location,as both methods above. Shoot,go back to zero and punch a tag. BFD.

Any/all combinations that add up to the required input,will reliably arrange POA/POI intersections. Tough to fhuqk that up. Hint.(grin)

Say you have a new rifle. Yu will be in the berries on the 2nd poke. Boresight,then shoot 100yd paper. Measure where the boolit landed,in relation to where the crosshairs were broke and subtend the difference. If you are 3.7 Mils right and 2.9 Mils low...it will take but seconds to adjust 3.7 Mils left on the erector and 2.2 up on same. That will leave you .7 Mils high,which is the 100yd zero height(+2.4") for the 7-08/162/2700fps load cited. Zero the turrets.

Shot #2 is the 500yd line and that is a 2.3 Mil correction,which is less than halfa turret revolution. Shoot and watch it home to POA/POI intersection. BFD.

Hint..................

Perfect. Thanks.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/18/15

See you are busy elsewhere, so never mind.

Was just a minor bit for discussion.

Good hunting.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Leupold does it again! - 11/18/15
Not promoting 16x, just an observation for the SWFAs are too heavy crew... Weight of the Leupold 6x42 with M1s or Target dials? Travel? Price $300! Chris rocks.

'Boomer,

THANKS for the specs!
Chris done good...but all 16x's suck.

Hint.......................

From 5 years past. In five more, what'll top the Montana w/SWFA 6X MQ???
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire